The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #316  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Thanks Onthetee for the link! Very interesting info!

Dek6--after reading a bit more on the link provided above, it rather struck me how the side effects of Metformin can derail you big time....such as fatigue, naseua (sp), hair loss, etc....almost like it wouldn't be worth it to take it! I'm not advocating by any means that folks don't, just that from reading up on the side effects it sounded like it would give you more issues to deal with. What was interesting is that in most of these PCOS articles, they state that with diet and exercise, you can regulate your PCOS much better. I'm wondering if when a person gets down to their goal weight and maintains that if they no longer need to take pills for it, or if that's going to be a lifelong thing?

Still, I hope Biggest Loser does highlight it a bit when it is revealed on the show, and what the contestant is taking.

Last edited by NemesisClaws; 01-17-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #317  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisClaws View Post
Thanks Onthetee for the link! Very interesting info!

[after reading a bit more on the link provided above, it rather struck me how the side effects of Metformin can derail you big time....such as fatigue, naseua (sp), hair loss, etc....almost like it wouldn't be worth it to take it! I'm not advocating by any means that folks don't, just that from reading up on the side effects it sounded like it would give you more issues to deal with.
If you really want a baby, and they tell you that metformin will help, you take it and power through the consequences. I know several women who really felt it was their last hope. On the other hand, I have two dear friends who took oral contraceptives to treat it and BOTH got pregnant on the Pill.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #318  

As person who has was diagnosed with PCOS in 1987 and probibly had it for 10+ years before that I can say that Metformin is a life saver, literally. When I was first diagnosed there was no options for treatment, if you wanted to get pregnant you went on fertility drugs, otherwise it was BC pills. I went to a medical library and did research on it, about all I could find there was a small paragraph in an outdated medical book saying that it was suggested for PCOS sufferers to lose weight, he recomended a 500 calorie a day or less diet. Yes, only 500 calories! Later I found something by a woman Dr who wrote that the women with PCOS just didn't like being women and if they embraced their femininity by wearing dresses and quit any job where they competed with ment that it would go away. Then in the mid 90's Metformin was found to help treat PCOS. When I first heard about it I went to my Dr, a RE at a large teaching hospital, and he did some research and agreed to prescribe it. It changed my life, I went from being depressed constantly to feeling normal, and yes I had tried antidepressants several years earlier, they made me suicidal, my body acted like it was supposed to, and I was much easier to live with. The side effects went away, and even tho I do not want to get pregnant I will never give them up. Also my GP has told me that Metformin helps prevent Diabetes, which with my family history, and PCOS was almost a given in my case, in fact I would have had it years ago without the Metformin.
I realize this is long, but since I have lived through the modern treatment of PCOS I thought you might want to know why someone would put up with the sideeffects.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #319  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

WOW! I had no idea peeps with PCOS take metformin. I take 1000mg a day, once in the morning and once at night for my diabetes. Go figure. All I know is I have been trying to lose weight for about a year and 7 months and it's been a struggle. I actually weigh more now than when I started, but it's due to stress and emotional eating. I am having a hard time losing and the last doc I saw said it could be the medications I take and that she'd consider changing them come Feb if I haven't lost any...Well I haven't but now I have a new doc I haven't even met so I'm sure THAT won't happen now. I'll be gald when I lose this weight though because I am hoping I can STOP taking metformin and actos altogether.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #320  
BLUE team

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'7''

I just downloaded some of Jillians radio show (LOVE IT, by the way) and boy, talk about spoilers! She has given away SO much about the season that is airing right now. I am almost tempted to stop listening. Can't wait until Tuesday night.

Last edited by jordan; 01-19-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #321  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

IKWYM...but she's SO fun to listen to!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #322  
Takin' charge of my life!

Last Sunday's radio show was definitely a spoiler but I'm not going to quit listening. I listened to last weeks show while working out last night at 24 Hour. I'm kinda bummed to know who a couple of teams are still on the show, but I am glad that THEY are still there as they are probably near the end of filming since they started b4 Thanksgiving! LOL
Old 01-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #323  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Any predictions or wishes on who goes home this week? I hate to admit it because its gonna be their demise but i kinda like the Black team, yeah they've got issues, but they kick butt and I love their determination to win. I dont know who I want to go home at this point the only team I dont like is Orange but only because of the mom and her arrogance. I still wanna see them succeed though. It think this is the only season there are people I just dont want to see go!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

I have to agree with Melissa. Since they booted off Neill there is no one else I really don't like. I'm not sure if that will make for good tv. I like to have that one to dislike that each week you hope it's he or she that goes home! Like the Amazing Race, each season there's been a team to hate. This season's annoyer stayed on until the second to last show and was actually eliminated on her b-day. It made for great drama lol
We shall see....I still think one week the teams should be given the option to switch team mates...we'd see some claws then! Even if the mixer was no more teams, making each an individual, when they're down to like 3 teams. Something to spice it up!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #325  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Looks like it's everyone against one team tomorrow night...what a twist! Looks like it will be the yellow team so I am guessing the one below the yellow line that isn't booted off has to get above the line next week or they automatically go home. Can't wait to see if that's it...that is really tough if it's going that way!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #326  
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

Well well well what an intersting show tonight. Drives me bonkers when people throw the weigh in and it backfired big time tonight. I'm not happy with who got booted off, as it should have been another team. I'll wait til ya'll get here to discuss.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #327  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I'll agree that throwing the game tonight backfired big time. I'll miss Bette Sue.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #328  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm so mad that they voted her off.

She was my favorite.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #329  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Wow, hardly any chatter! Well I really thought Purple should go, but I've thought that for weeks which means they'll be around awhile.

So yellow was my favorite. And I just knew they were gonna end up going when the gauntlet was thrown...good job to them! But, I was under the assumption that he wanted her back, but then I heard him make the comment that he missed his girlfriend. Just goes to show ya, we dont know much about them at home. But, that comment changed them for me a little bit. Still like them, just not sure if they are my favorites anymore. No idea who is!?

Good show! AND I did the elliptical for 30 minutes while I watched!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #330  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Best - Episode - Ever!!!!

OMGosh - if they were all this good! I don't know if I enjoyed it more bc I was working out or if it was just beautifully done. From Bob busting on the orange son for not knowing his way aroudn the kitchen, to calling him out for his breakfast soda. I'm SOOO guilty of that. Not being a coffee drinker, I'm the BK croissanwich queen & give me my large COKE to go with that. I was really embarrassed - but weird to see I'm not alone there. So I took the shock on Bob's face over that as if he were talking to me directly. "What exactly is a breakfast soda?" (like it was an herbal tonic or something!) and then he just confessed it's a b'fast soda, bc it's the first one you have that day. Oh, so sad but true..............

Nice that they threw in the kink about immunity at THE LAST MOMENT. Nice that Bob stepped up to the plate and let them know they better NOT be stepping on that scale with a 2 lb weight loss unless they tell him first (they did not). Interesting that they didn't try to get the whole team to swing, but clearly, they did enough damage.

I knew from the start YELLOW would win, if for no other reason than they would only need 2 teams like purple and one other to do lousy or so-so and it would bring the team AVERAGE down just enough to let yellow eeek it out, and alas, it may have happened regardless.

That BetteSue and Ali went home was JUST a travesty. I love BetteSue even more that she just cutoff the apologies, and said, "You know what, just cut the crap and open that thing. Quit talking and apologizing, we know what you wrote, get on with it." LOVE HER FOR THAT. I thought she would be more honest than that in her closing comments but I guess she left it to Ali. But at least she called out the faking and the a$$ kissing going on. But Ali is so right - they were the ONLY team that hadn't been below the line, had a decent loss even that week, and didn't "throw" the weigh in. SO what we are left with are the biggest liars, the biggest cheaters, and the one team that will always max out on the weight, the black team. Everyone else will have to just run in circles to kill each other off. Still need to tweak somethign with the formula on this show, imo, bc it's not really about being the biggest loser. Those purple girls are going to make it to the finals just like the people in the last season, bc they were not threats. UGH.

I don't think one of the blacks goes home next week either - I think that was just a teaser to confuse us. One of them just comforts Jillian when someone else gets split up - maybe yellow, maybe blue. Heh, let's face it, purple is there til the end now.

I wouldn't have voted for the yellow team in the beggining at all, so I don't even understand why this show got there - to me it was all about black or gray, but then, I'm not staring at the numbers either, so I could be wrong.

I KNOW WHY THE YELLOW TEAM GOT DIVORCED. OMG, he is SOOOO all about himself. I hope he noticed that when he FINALLY let his wife go that last time, she was far faster and more nimble than him. ANd then that whole Jillian stage scene, while practically ignoring his wife. And the letter giveaway - he just said, we're doing it, didn't ask if she was ok with it. She just stands by and takes it all. Oh man, it's all about him and his universe. Makes me ill to watch it. Now I get it - and NO, I DON'T predict they will be getting back together. He loves himself too much. Poor woman.

OK that's it! Like I said, loved this show. I got in 30 mins of t'mill and 15 mins elliptical, so I'm off to chart that on the other thread. I'm going to try to make this Tuesday nite my "last chance workout" nite. I just have to figure out how to get the kids to bed. They won't listen to dh, who just yells up to them from his recliner so they were bouncing around waiting for me. I finally got them to sleep at 10:45. THat will NOT work. They both have to be up by 7:30 and still really need 10 hrs of sleep a nite. (See? This is one way we get sidetracked from our programs! grrr But not me - next week there will be rules in place on Tuesday nites!)

Last edited by sportmom; 01-22-2008 at 11:45 PM.