The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #376  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

I was surprised they picked pink, too. Seems like gray is a much bigger threat in future weeks than a girl-girl team. Those big boys always lose huge numbers and now that they're thinning down, those big numbers will result is a larger percentage than ever before.

I hated that they tried to manipulate the game though with the weight... IMO they should LOSE all they can and just do their best. It obviously backfired right in their faces, yk?
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #377  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't fault players for the "game playing." Whether their goal is primarily the money or the weight loss, I can definitely understand the temptation to throw a weigh-in if it seems likely to better a person's chance of staying in the game longer. It's kind of sad when they throw another player under the bus in doing so, but I can definitely understand it. I think the premise of the show and the way it is and has been played makes it inevitable. It isn't a "fair" game at the outset and participants aren't rewarded for playing fair. I think it's what makes the show and it's contestants so easy to love and hate (and sometimes at the same time).
Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #378  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Sometimes I think the only fair way to play would be to have a season with all the contestants the same gender, same age, same height, and same weight. Other than that scenario, I think some form of gameplay is going to have to come into in at some point.

Anyone else F/36/5'4"/171 and want to test my theory?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #379  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I have been trying to think of a formula where TBL would actually be fair, and so far I can't think of anything besides what Dee suggested, and somehow I think TBL won't go for that.

The one I have been kicking around lately is % lost of available weight to lose, but then that adds the complication of setting a goal weight, and how do you base that? BMI? That ends up being unfair to people who have more muscle.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #380  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Thanks for clearing up the rules on water everyone. I never heard the details of it.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #381  
Go Blue Team!!

S/C/G: 286/159/150

I think that at least part of the reason why there's never been a female winner is that there really haven't been *that* many women who were super-big when they got started. By that, I mean that so many of the men have about half of their weight to lose to even approach "healthy." Take the Gray team this season or Eric from the past season as examples. All of those guys started at a point where, losing half of their total body wouldn't make them "skinny." Most of the women on the show start at under 250 pounds. If a 5'7" woman weighs in at 250 and loses half of her body weight, she'll actually be at the low end of the "healthy" BMI range.

In the first few seasons, this was something that really bugged me. It wasn't until Isabeau and Amy (and the girl who got the boot first, whose name I can't remember!) showed up on the ranch that there was a woman at the ranch who weighed more than I did when I started working on losing weight (at least not one that I could remember!).

Last edited by scgirl32; 01-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #382  
Ilene the Bean

I love and will miss Bette-Sue I can't wait to see her on the finale show, she looked sooo good last night....With her double chin gone she looked fabulous!!

Last edited by Ilene; 01-23-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #383  
Ilene the Bean

I just wanted to also add that I think it almost seemed Bette Sue and Ali were voted off last night because they were the ones to break the tie... If it would have been one of the other two teams who voted for yellow last, THEY would have been voted off...
Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #384  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Maybe the could do a women biggest loser and a man biggest loser. Men just lose faster the only way a woman is gonna be the biggest loser is if all the girls band together and kick off all the boys. But that would also require the men to not get immunity too.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #385  
sfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedieter View Post
Sometimes I think the only fair way to play would be to have a season with all the contestants the same gender, same age, same height, and same weight. Other than that scenario, I think some form of gameplay is going to have to come into in at some point.

Close.

F/35/5'4"/178
Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #386  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
I think my clear favorite this season is the gray team for the following:
  1. You never hear them planning against anyone
  2. They are the most genuine
  3. They love there families and have adorable kids
  4. They have the most to lose
  5. They have a better friendship than most of the teams on the show
  6. They dont get a lot of face time but when they do they don't make a****s of themselves
  7. Something about them makes me feel all squishy inside with feel good feelings
  8. Did I mention they are the most genuine?

Now that I've said something they will get voted off...
Way to go, Chelle....you JUST killed them. As I read it, I could hear their dream dying in a distant corner of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Okay...at the risk of alienating everyone here, I have to say that I love the orange team. They plan like Hubby and I would play...and, they're still losing weight!

Oh, I totally dig them.

The pink team started the whole alliance thing when they were putting the balls in the bins. They teamed up with black, who was doomed to have a target on their back, and that had consequences. Once they started cozying up to the dark side, they put themselves in a position to be taken out. I do not feel sorry for them one little bit. Don't give me that "unjustly" crap. You play, you pay..... Why they voted for yellow in the first place is a mystery OTHER than the fact that they were aligned with black. When black could not go, they were the next in that bloc.

I think that for your exit speech, you can choose to be gracious, or you can choose to be "honest". It was not so much what they said as how they said it that rubbed me the wrong way. Gently saying, "We know it is us, can we please just end this?" would be much more tactful, IMO.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #387  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetee View Post
I think that for your exit speech, you can choose to be gracious, or you can choose to be "honest". It was not so much what they said as how they said it that rubbed me the wrong way. Gently saying, "We know it is us, can we please just end this?" would be much more tactful, IMO.
Maybe more tactful, but not necessarily more honest. I personally was getting tired of listening to Kelly (Yellow Team) try and apoligize without apoligizing. IMO Betty-Sue was right, enough was enough, just get on with it.

That being said, I didn't really care for the Pink Team 1 way or the other. I do think that the way they were gotten rid of (by the producers of the show who dreamed this twist up) was VERY shoddy. They didn't go below the yellow line, then or ever, hard work was not rewarded. I lost some respect for the show with this little game that was played.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #388  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedieter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfj View Post
Close.

F/35/5'4"/178

Me too! F/36/5'4"/177 Bring it on!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #389  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Me 3 or is it 4?! F/41/5'4"/168
Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #390  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

I just LOVE this thread! So many interesting comments & thanks for telling about the water thing. I missed that somewhere.

Promised myself I would NOT get so emotionally involved this year. Keep repeating to myself that this is just a game. I still get POd when they vote off someone who has been doing good (remember Kae last time?). Ya, I know it is a game. I keep telling myself that. LOL I still hate that those who are not doing that great (aka purple) get to stay until the end.

I always liked the gray team was afraid to root for them as I figured I would jinx them. How weird is that???