View Poll Results: How do you feel about private weigh ins?
I Like the Idea! 13 27.08%
I Hate the Idea... 17 35.42%
I Could Care Less... 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #1  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Question How would you feel about....

How would you feel about private weigh ins?

Private Weigh Ins (n.) - Each week you would pm your team leader your weight for the week so they can be recorded instead of having a public post in the forum.

Advantages:
  • Your weight info is more private
  • No one knows your number except you
  • Other teams can't read your numbers
  • Makes weigh ins more of a surprise
  • Keeps people playing fair

Disadvantages:
  • Team Leaders would have constant pms
  • No post to look back to
  • You'd have to keep your own record at home

Personally, I like the advantages of being private and discreet because not everyone likes to be all out there with numbers. Not to mention the added bonus of having weigh ins not being predictable.

Vote in the poll with your opinion.... it will greatly effect the next challenge!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellez View Post
How would you feel about private weigh ins?

Private Weigh Ins (n.) - Each week you would pm your team leader your weight for the week so they can be recorded instead of having a public post in the forum.

Advantages:
  • Your weight info is more private
  • No one knows your number except you
  • Other teams can't read your numbers
  • Makes weigh ins more of a surprise
  • Keeps people playing fair

Disadvantages:
  • Team Leaders would have constant pms
  • No post to look back to
  • You'd have to keep your own record at home

Personally, I like the advantages of being private and discreet because not everyone likes to be all out there with numbers. Not to mention the added bonus of having weigh ins not being predictable.

Vote in the poll with your opinion.... it will greatly effect the next challenge!
That seems like a lot of extra work for the leaders.

There's NO WAY you could get people to NOT discuss their weight in the threads or PM's either, so that seems like a lot of work for nothing.

I am not sure what you mean about weigh-ins being "predictable" or people "playing fair". Care to elaborate?

I responded to the post before you had a poll option.

Last edited by SoulBliss; 03-25-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: There wasn't a poll when I posted.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I get inspired by seeing my teammates numbers. And, I hope to inspire others with my awesome weight losses on the next challenge.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #4  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

As a team leader I dont really see it as any more work.

I think people can still share their numbers in their threads like they already do in tickers and when they post about having a loss.

And I kinda like taking the idea of comparing yourself to others out of the equation. I think people tend to do that too much and then get down on themselves because they don't lose as fast or as much. So that is a big draw too. The inspiration can still be there when we share our numbers in chat.

Just my initial thoughts!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
As a team leader I dont really see it as any more work.
Answering 30+ PM's weekly isn't a lot more work in addition to everything else y'all are doing? Darn! Why can't I get people to answer my ONE pm then?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I voted for "I could care less" though I don't agree with that wording really. I won't mind it either way, so didn't want to vote one way or another. If the mods are up for it and private WI would help other members, than that is fine with me. I don't mind it how it is either, so thus my vote for the third option. BUT, it's not that I really don't care about the challenge, wanted to make that clear I just am happy either way.

I do like to look at the numbers sometimes, but it's not often I have time to do that so it wouldn't effect me if they were not displayed. Plus, we'd have the added drama of revealing the biggest loser at the end if others didn't already see everyone's numbers each week. It would be more exciting maybe in the end to see the final numbers lost.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #7  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I like the idea. I don't mind sharing my numbers publicly at all, but some people may and if the Team Leaders don't mind the extra work, I guess it's no big deal. A lot of us already keep the numbers on our side thingies & tickers.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #8  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I like the idea.

I know this round of challenges has been rough for me, brutal actually in terms of actual weight lost. Sometimes I just feel like I don't deserve to be on a team because my numbers are so lousy. If it was a private weigh-in I would feel more like I would participate more and not be wondering if my team secretly hates me because I can't seem to lose weight. (Okay, I'm obviously throwing myself a pity-party today, my team doesn't really hate me. Pity-party cake anyone?)
Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #9  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I personally like seeing the numbers. Plus, probably 90% of people post their stats in their siggy anyways and there will always be discussion around it in the threads. But I understand the other side also. So I would have to say that I don't care. I will participate next round irregardless.

P.S. Dee - you've been a fantastic teammate this round!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Dee, you're here and you post = teammate. Your numbers don't really matter to me at all.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #11  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

I treat the numbers as private already. I would never consider anyone's numbers unless they post it in the discussion thread.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #12  
budding cinephile

*perks* Cake?

*shews Dee out the room* You can't be handing out cake with 2 weeks to go woman!

*pretends to throw cake away and goobles up a slice*
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I am not sure what you mean about weigh-ins being "predictable" or people "playing fair". Care to elaborate?

I'm not out to but I definitely think this relates to the possibility
that people could see what numbers the other teams have posted and then try to win for their team by posting a less than honest number. So like if you saw the blue team had all smallish losses and that it was going to be close between red and blue, then maybe someone would fudge their number and throw up a bigger loss just bc they could throw the win that way.

That has occurred to me that it would be easy for someone to do. Hopefully no one has, but obviously the concern is there for a reason if the issue was raised to the team leads.

Last edited by sportmom; 03-25-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #14  

I voted that "I could care less," but agree with the sentiment that those aren't the words I would use. I wouldn't mind either way. It makes me feel more accountable to have everyone be able to see my numbers, but I understand that some people may feel uncomfortable with it.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #15  
budding cinephile

I wish I could go back and change the poll but my memory fails me as to how.

I'm kinda in a lackadaisical mood so I understand if you pick option three its not because you dont care about the challenge...

Its because I'm an idiot with words and couldn't think of anything better.