Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #121  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Back from our walk which we took this morning in a very pleasant 74 degrees. It was wonderful. Now Otis is taking a nap and I just finished breakfast. I'll get ready to go to the gym soon, but as soon as he sees me changing clothes he starts jumping around wanting to go . . . so I'll delay just a little. The meeting yesterday was a group called Sisters on the Fly. I think it may be nationwide but a gal out here started it some years ago. It is women only camping trips. The have a variety of RV's, trailers, and tents. Even though the meeting was about 45 miles away, one of the women was a nurse at the hospital where I used to work. I'm undecided about joining because I'm not sure they are all that active on their trips. I'll think about it.

Nationalparker So glad to hear your brother is holding up well.

Ennay That's a lot of pickles. My Mom made bread and butter pickles a few times, and I loved them.

Bill Your tomatoes sound just wonderful. Was it cooler back there this year? Is that why they are late?

Silverbirch Glad to hear your dental procedure went well. Also, wonderful to hear that your 92 year old mother is doing so well. I hope the things I am doing for my health now will help me stay healthy and independent for that long.

Maryann I hope your first day with the students goes very well. It sounds like they are trying to get things off to a good start. Forgiving ourselves is the hardest thing, isn't it. I know I have apologized to friends or reapologizes for things that happened years and years ago and they have long forgotten whatever it was and I'm still beating myself up for it.

Curlyjax Would the part-time job, be in addition to your full time job or instead of. I hope it is instead of.

Well, I guess I had better move on and get a little something done before the gym. Have a good day everyone!
Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #122  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

morning coaches! Not much time as dd needed her hair curled for theatre camp. As it turns out her hair is harder to curl than mine. Yoikes!

silverbirch - yes, "canning" is typically preserving in glass jars. A major word of caution for your sister. Other glass jars that are not specifically canning jars (commercial products jars like mayo, spag sauce, jelly jars) are not typically recommended for home canning. They are not made to withstand repeated heat cycling and have a smaller surface area at the sealing edge. If she is mostly doing jams/jellies with a short processing time and the products are being eaten in a fairly short time, she is probably ok, but NEVER use them for pressure canning. It really is worth shelling out the $$ for real canning jars - check garage sales too although canning jars usually go very very quickly. (note : this was the first jar failure I have had in thousands of jars of canning including loads of pressure canning).

BBEmmmm tomatoes. I really am going to regret not having a garden this year when tomatoes are in season.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:20 AM   #123  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Food yesterday was not very good. Too much going on, coming at me from all sides.

Today has not started well as I've had double helpings of muesli. I have to be available to others today and am obviously trying to cope - there are already three extra people in the house doing things. Another bossy fusspot will arrive in an hour to do a task. Mum is going shopping. She and I are going to walk round to the doctor later where she's hoping to have a cortisone (I think) injection in her knee. I'll put the meals on the table and do a bit of gardening to give myself fresh air.

Just for today, I will not eat any cake or sweets to keep going. I will either sit down and close my eyes for 10 minutes or I will go outside for 10 minutes.

ennay, thanks, I'll mention this to my sis and perhaps give her some new jars. She does use them but I think fruit and veg production this year is unexpectedly good.

karenrn, nice to meet new people.

curlyjax, new gig - exciting!

maryann, good luck!

Bill, I'm wondering whether I'll get this in before you post!

to all

Last edited by silverbirch; 08-17-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Davy Crockett born (1786, East Tennessee)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was entertain the DGD day, CREDIT moi. We pushed her in her stroller to a new playground for different climbing structures. Then continued in the stroller to the library for a kids sing-a-long. She knew all the songs, but spent her time intently watching a four year old boy. Kids are more interesting than the adult leading the singing.

From a FREE box on the curb, I picked up the first addition (1995) of Judith Beck's Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond (there's a second edition from 2011). I learned that I'm not that interested in becoming a therapist. It's interesting to learn how a CT therapist thinks about handling sessions, but that's not likely for my next career. Dinner on the patio talking about all the stuff I'm gushing about here in peak summer: garden tomato, garden cuke, copious blueberries, sweet peaches. DW decreed that since we're out of watermelon I had to go forage for some ice cream for dessert. Fortunately, I happened to find some at the corner store. Even more fortunately, they had just received a fresh batch of donuts that I left behind. I suspect that it wasn't true hunger that had me drooling at those sugar coated bundles of joy.

silverbirch – Must be a really good dentist to have you feeling good about a root canal. Lovely to be able to walk to a shop to buy fish. I share your distaste for extra folks in the house doing things. [You win first post of the day, LOL.]

maryann - Kudos for continuing, "no sweets at work."

Karen (karenrn) - Your group, Sisters on the Fly, sounds like it'd help women who needed a push to get out leaving their men folks on the couch at home. [Don't know why our tomatoes are so late this year.]

curlyjax - Yep, the concept of a shared digital device is so long ago.

ennay - I didn't know that hair curling still happened.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

characteristic 2
You Have a Low Tolerance for Hunger and Cravings

Most thin people feel hungry and occasionally notice cravings, but they don't dwell on these feelings. Generally, they don't think that much about food at all. They figure they'll always be able to find something when they're hungry or be able to withstand the hunger if it's not convenient to eat. Usually they have no problem holding off until their next snack or meal.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 34.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Credit for two days in a row. i know it is always easier to be IN a habit rather than GET in the habit. For today I can stay in the habit. Scale is down a little and I did the treadmill yesterday. The assembly was little rough. I tend to be the police while other teachers sit in the sidelines. We all have our strengths I guess. I relaxed when I met my actual classes and realized none of the squirrels were in my class. This will be the first year in a career I have no intervention kids. I am grateful for the change. Just because I can do something doesn't mean I always have to do it.
Wave.

Last edited by maryann; 08-17-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #126  

Good morning,

It's another mid 70's beautiful morning here and we are home from our hour long walk. Otis does very well, but I do take a couple bottles of water and we stop a few times for him to have a drink and a minute or two rest. It gives me hope that the temps are coming down. Soon I'll get a little housework done while he is down for his post walk nap. He is a little too "helpful". Later I have the Y for a little strength training and yoga. Tomorrow I'm going to see the movie, "Step". I love any movie with some dancing in it and it's short.

Maryann Glad none of the squirrels were in your class. Hopefully you have some great groups of kids. Is it easier following your plan when you are at school all day? When I was first retired the days I spent more time at home were tough cause it seemed like the fridge called to me multiple times. I guess I'm used to it now and just most times have my routine.

Bill I bet it is so fun watching DGD. I love watching my pup and watching a toddler would be much more fun. I think I'm going to wait on joining Sisters on the Fly. There is a camp out in November that I can't attend cause we're having company, but it's just on the other side of the valley. I think I'll do a little day trip over and scope them out to see what they're doing. If they're all just sitting around, I'll know it isn't likely something I'd want to do.

Silverbirch I don't think I'd be beating myself up for a double portion of muesli. Hopefully the rest of your day has been going well.

Waving to the rest of you and off to clean the bathrooms.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #127  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another fly-by on my end; we leave my brother's tomorrow for two days at the beach. It's hot/humid here, so the pool will be enjoyable, especially at night, as that's my favorite before bed. If it's not mobbed. Food has been so-so. We all went to a new Thai place (new to us) last night and my DH bought a fruit tart as a treat for us all to enjoy afterward - kept the evening going later with great conversation. THIS is what I would like to have at home, but our family is so different - no extended family on my side anywhere near us and his is not of the sort to do this. I feel a hole when I return home.

The chemo has started hitting my brother hard for this week's session, and we have plans to lunch with his son and DIL (her father joined us last night and is great company), but I want him to feel comfortable cancelling if it's not time he would enjoy. He has a few rough days each week. It is hard to see him go through this. If it had to be cancer, and you hate to say this, but I feel like most other cancers hold more hope than pancreatic. I feel like I get a renewed sense of health around him - yes, my weight is higher than I want, but I'm not ill or prediabetic or immobile or ... the list could go on. That said, I want to care for my body as best I can, but the lack of any guarantees in life looms large. I am feeling a bit melancholy, I guess.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #128  
Green Tomatoes

I missed posting on Tuesday because I had a breakfast meeting. I don't have an excuse for yesterday. So, I'm back today before "not posting" turns into a habit that I don't want.

I've got a food plan written for today, accommodating an evening meeting. I'll have one afternoon snack and an early supper. If I get home from the meeting hungry, I'll have a salad for an evening snack. That feels weird to me but I've done it a couple of times this summer and it works just fine.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 08-17-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #129  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,

Quick check in. We have been at the cottage just in to pick up something from home. I am doing well with eating and exercise too. Will be away for the rest of this week and next week too. I will try to check in if I can. I hope everyone has a great week.

Take Care
Ann
Old 08-18-2017, 06:10 AM   #130  
Super Moderator

Default Friday - Woman suffrage ratified (1920, U.S.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Just the same old summer bliss: too many blueberries, ripe peaches, grilled salmon on the patio with garden tomatoes and cukes. CREDIT moi for eating like a king.

Walked after dinner with DW, CREDIT moi, around an unlighted path that gets seriously dark when the sun goes down. We walked in the dark with ample light from starlight (on an easy to follow path even if pitch black dark). Trees and vegetation take on an eerie feel in the dark. Occasionally, a jogger or a biker would pass us using a flashlight. We were blinded by their artificial light and took several seconds to regain our night vision. Wanted to tell them that they were encapsulating themselves in a bubble of light out of which they could see nothing; it was a marvelous experience without light. But they moved away fast enough and we had the path to ourselves.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Breakfast meetings shouldn't be allowed, said the man who gets up early and wants to eat his breakfast alone with his newspaper. Kudos for being able to make a salad your evening snack.

maryann - Oh Yes, Yes, Yes: "easier to be IN a habit rather than GET in the habit."

nationalparker – Thanks for reminding us, "I want to care for my body as best I can." Good family conversation can be just the best.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at He is a little too "helpful". I know about that.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Enjoy your two weeks away. Kudos for "I am doing well with eating and exercise too."

Readers -
Quote:

characteristic 2

When you're hungry or have a craving, though, you might dwell on these feelings. You probably worry about when you're going to have an opportunity to eat again. Maybe you even become preoccupied with thoughts of food. You're likely to overestimate how strong your hunger and cravings well get and how long they'll last. It's likely you'll try to get rid of them right away by eating. In fact, some people who struggle to lose weight experience hunger and cravings as emergencies: I must eat now!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
A few busy days. I was involved with an annual work party I help with that is like planning a small wedding, with music, food etc. It’s nice to have that over! I have the day off today to recuperate so DH and I will tootle around and find something fun to do.

I had a video chat with a few others last night about this other job possibility. It sounds too involved for me at this time, being a geriatric care manager, but I will keep it in mind for the future. Karen I work 25 hours so i could take a second job, but i’m realizing it would have to be an easy fun one. I seem to be tired easy these days, so I’ll just stick with what i’m doing for now.

On the agenda for the weekend is first steps toward fixing/replacing the laptop. It’s probably the battery but its an old Mac so I can’t do it myself. If it costs too much i will just buy a new one, probably an Amazon Acer brand. We don’t need windows, just internet/streaming.

Bill- your dinners sound lovely! All the sweeter for being a short season.
Nationalparker- i know what you mean about the family conversations with extended family etc. I always feel sad leaving my parents place for the same reason (some people I consider family too even though they aren’t related by blood). Pancreatic cancer is very hard.
Karenrn- sounds like you are seeing some good movies! i don’t think some you mention are here yet. How is the kitchen project going?
Silverbirch-Glad to hear your mom is doing well despite all those bossy fusspots- love that description! I like the reminder of “just for today.”
Wave to all, happy Friday!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #132  

Good morning coaches,

Off to a good start today. Otis and I had our walk in 74 degrees. In a bit I'll be heading for the gym and then I have the movie after lunch. Since Otis will be going to the office this morning, he'll be happy to nap when I'm at the movies.

I just ordered a couple of really good sale items from Talbots. Now that I've decided I wear sleeveless tops and prefer a woven type shirt to a tee shirt, I thought I may as well buy a few at a good price. Under $20 for a couple of them. It's still sleeveless weather for a couple more months here and then there is always next year.

I plan to hike Bell Pass on Sunday. It's been quite a while. I signed up for a 4 peak/11 mile challenge for November 18th and then a guy friend is coming down right after Thanksgiving to hike Flatiron, so I want to be in very good hiking shape. It's funny how not every exercise is transferrable. I'll be interested to see how I do on Bell Pass this weekend.

Curlyjax I guess I didn't realize that you work 25 hours a week. I think you're smart not to take a job that is more involved than you would want right now.

Bill I'm seldom out walking in the dark in the evening, but I do start hiking before daylight at times. It's amazing how well you can see when you adjust to it.

Ann Enjoy your time at the cottage. It's great that your food plan and exercise are going well.

GardenerJoy Keep up the checking in especially if it is helping you.

Nationalparker I'm so glad you are enjoying your visit so much. I do look forward to time with my brother too. We can talk about anything and even if we don't agree we can ask each other things that other people just get pissy about at times. I miss not having more family too and we are not close to most of dh's family. I have made a "family" out of some of my closer friends, but many of them are in Washington and those that live here leave for the summer. I long for the good old days when people weren't so spread out. I guess I should blame myself for leaving Washington, but I think our quality of life is better here overall. I just hope our health holds up well enough that we can spend most of summer in Washington at some point.

Okay, time to get ready for the gym. Have a great Friday everybody!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:23 AM   #133  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I'm extremely happy to be home. Last week was a rollercoaster of events, most of which weren't forecast when the week began. Mum and I are exhausted all over again.

Today will be a day of unwinding (proper exercise!), observation of those niggles that you only really see when you've been away and planning to sort them out. And I'll be returning to my three reasonable meals a day plan. Outside, the rain is thrashing down.

karen, so good to hear that hiking Bell Pass is back in your life.

curlyjax, sounds so wise to stick with what you're doing for the moment. Good luck with the computer issues.

Bill, paradise on earth on your patio and walking around in the dark. So lovely.

Ann, enjoy yourself!

gardenerjoy, well done for making sure you posted here before you fell out of the habit. I can see that a small salad might be very good after an evening meeting.

nationalparker, have a lovely time at the beach. (I think, for what it's worth, that melancholy has its place.)

maryann, love this mention of 'squirrels'!

Let's press on.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Orville Wright born (1871, Dayton, Ohio)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, with no destination in mind other than to observe everyone's gardens and construction projects. The books in the mini-libraries were easy to pass over. I did have a good book success: A travel guide arrived in the mail scrunched up a bit - just enough that it was unpleasant to try to read. I'd paid very little for it. I didn't want the hassle of returning it and getting a refund. So I placed it between two boards in a bench vice in the basement for 24 hours. It flattened enough to be readable. Yay for the simplicity of remembering that a vice can be used for squishing something.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. I was drawn to cookies at the grocery store but didn't buy any. I have two events today that will have lots of food. My goal is to eat sanely.

silverbirch – Welcome back home. LOL at "most of which weren't forecast when the week began" - BTDT.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for finding bargain clothes, with Kudos for choosing to take care of youself.

curlyjax - Neat to recognize that a second job couldn't be an overwhelming one. Good luck finding a solution to your laptop.

Readers -
Quote:

characteristic 2

To think like a thin person you
must
learn to tell the difference between
hunger and the desire to eat

Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is two meals out. Fortunately, there will be no time for my normal afternoon snacks, so that will help. When I travel, I eat all meals out and skip all snacks and usually lose weight. So, I'll pretend today is a travel day. Lunch will be a salad with blackened tuna on top. It's a southern sea food restaurant, so the salad comes with a ridiculously sweet corn bread muffin. I wrote on my calendar that half of a muffin is plenty -- that reminder showed up this morning. I'll take that advice.

Supper is harder because it's at a place where the menu changes seasonally, so I can't plan in advance. My dinner companions are vegetarian -- that usually inspires me to stick to the veggies as well. I'll have one glass of hard cider as my treat.

I have extra eclipse shades so I'll carry them around today and enjoy supplying friends. And, strangers, for that matter. We celebrated my brother's birthday with him and his wife last night. After, I was handing them eclipse shades in the parking lot and I gave a couple to people who were chatting near their car. I feel like the eclipse shades Easter Bunny. I decided that I wanted to use a shade in a card that you hold up rather than glasses because NASA says no one should be looking at the sun for long stretches of time, even with the glasses. A card makes it easier to take breaks and play with pin hole viewers or observe animal life. Anyway, the cards were cheap and sold in packets of 30, so I have lots to give away.

BillBlueEyes: reading about Boston in the news. Take care.

silverbirch: welcome home! My treat of hard cider tonight will remind me of my trip to the UK.
Closed Thread