Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #121  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Encountered some frustration yesterday but didn't even think about eating over it. How cool is that?

Today, I made a much more realistic to do list and hope to get some satisfaction out of the day.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +50 870/1400 minutes for September, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

bethfromDayton: so cool to see you thinking through all of the responses to help you make your party plan. Sorry about the foot -- such a disappointment. Good for you for working out how you're going to deal with that.

onebyone: thinking about you and your sister today. Take care!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning,Coaches.

Twelve days OP. One pound down from ticker. Yoga this morning. So all is well. Work is busy but for the first time I left work and my to do list was all checked off. My mood seems have balanced out and I am wondering if this will be a lasting effect of me dropping certains foods out of my diet. More will be revealed.

bethfromDayton: Yes I am doing the Virgin Diet. It has given me some good insight into some things so far. A good example is realizing the significant reaction I have to artificial sweetener and never knew it.

BBE: I find myself walking to help with my back, as well. I remember a chiropractor told me "Your body is meant to move."

ForMyGirls: Credit for 100% OP. I was thinking going short, short with my hair.

VioletDolphin: Way to rock!! Getting out of the 130s is a big deal. For me - a wife, mother, teacher and writer ( I just finished my MFA in Writing) - I have had to prioritize the clean eating. I don't get anywhere if I don't. I know other things will come back into my life as I become more comfortable with my food program.

Lexxiss: Thanks for checking in.

Gardenerjoy: I noticed the snack bug bit me yesterday out of the blue. All healthy, but a little more than planned and today I want even more but will hold the line.

Last edited by maryann; 09-19-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #123  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

My major credit for today--DH called me to let me know he was running late, was in bad traffic, and was going to stop at Wendy's. I contemplated doing the same on my way home, but thought "no choice" and came home and fixed the dinner for me that I was planning on fixing for the two of us. Other than adding in a teaspoon of cocktail sauce I'd forgotten to plan for, I was completely on plan. I also drank a bunch of water and decreased my soda intake.

I've already packed tomorrow's lunch and snack and entered tomorrow's plan into MFP.

I've gone back to wearing a graphite insert in my shoe, and it made a different at work today when I used the stairs for facility breaks. I stopped and bought some new shoes after work (advice of the podiatrist)--stiffer bottom running shoes that I can use my insert in. DH and I went for a walk tonight--and my foot didn't hurt. This is good, because I'm walking the 5k portion of the Air Force Marathon tomorrow evening.

I read a chapter of the pink book this morning and read my morning response cards. A day full of credits for me!

maryann: Sounds like a day full of credits to you. I think it's neat that you're feeling more energetic and better after 12 days OP (and being down a pound below ticker is a great thing!

gardenerjoy: Stopping the behavior of eating in response to emotional issues is a huge thing--yay!!

ForMyGirls: I hope you fit into those "too small" clothes soon! I've given away a bunch of clothes and have another pile that doesn't fit that I haven't gotten rid of yet. I want to have even more motivation to not gain back--and that I don't have any clothes is pretty compelling!

BillBE: The concept of "not about me" is incredibly powerful--thanks for reminding me of it--those <whatevers> have nothing to do with me.

Take care, all!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Lunch with friends wasn't the best menu choice, but it was reasonable and included green salad instead of French Fries. More useful, I sat for 30 minutes while my friends ate the rolls and butter and I didn't, CREDIT moi.

Walk was short, but it happened, CREDIT moi. My schedule got jumbled so that I missed the gym class I had planned to take. Ouch for letting things re-arrange as if I were just an observer of my own life.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Waaaaay cool it is to encounter frustration without food. I need a Thriller Anonymous group since I seem to periodically fall into a Michael Crichton book (Sphere) where I'm sucked in by the pseudo-science then find that all characters who'd be inconvenient to resolve, just die. And all physical stuff that'd be inconvenient to explain is blown up as if the laws of conservation of matter don't require it to still exist albeit in smaller pieces. Death and destruction are cop-outs not resolutions. /Vent

maryann - 12 Kudos for "Twelve days OP." Thanks for, "Your body is meant to move."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for avoiding Wendy's even as your DH was on the phone. And 5K Kudos for charging forth with your Air Force Marathon.

ForMyGirls - Congrats for the joy of shopping in your own closet.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

What to Discuss with your Coach

Initiate Communication at key times when:. . .
  • You've strayed from your plan. Discuss what you need to do now to get right back on track. You might especially need help if you're criticizing yourself and feeling like a failure.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 87.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #125  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Finally Friday! FINALLY. Phew. This week has been a doozy and I'm looking forward to relaxing a bit at home, but also ticking things off my to do list there. Work has started the craziness and while lots is getting done there, I find myself coming home and just trying to decompress.

Will weigh tomorrow and adjust ticker. Not sure WHAT it'll be so will accept it and move forward. And get back to some sort of a modified eating plan for results. Did well last night with eating until no longer hungry, which for me and pizza, was a MAJOR challenge. We splurged and bought our pizza, instead of making it at home, but it's thin and not greasy and no meat, so we truly enjoyed it and didn't feel too guilty. Started with a large salad.

I am LONGING for the days of shopping in my own closet - thank you ForMyGirls, for the reminder of that. Ahhh... wonderful news!

Bill - Your restraint with skipping the french fries and the rolls/butter while others were indulging is remarkable. So it IS possible, huh?

Beth - Good luck with your 5K walk - hope it goes painfree and fun!

Maryann - I am impressed with 12 days OP. Even when I'm really focused, I seem to get myself off track easily. Great job!

GardenerJoy - That is SUPER COOL that you dealt with frustration without considering food. Major credits there. Nice to read the positive forum the past few days with folks proving that it's DOABLE.

Good realization to me that the whole if it's to be, it's up to me, and all that.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #126  
Green Tomatoes

Followed my plan in a day that included a meeting I set up at the library with one of the librarians and some community members to plan programming in February related to the National African American Read-In. Everybody showed and brought good ideas so I deem it a success.

Today is easier for this introvert with the only outside activity being a trip to the grocery store.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +50 9200/1400 minutes for September, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: yeah, there are some books I hate to love or love to hate, but they're so darn readable that I devour them and don't realize until after how stupid they were.

nationalparker: glad you're finding us inspiring and not annoying.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #127  

Good Morning, Coaches.

I enjoyed yesterday's day off. I had been working so much overtime, I got yesterday and today comp. I have really been enjoying my VItamixer. I can't believe how much it has changed our lives. DH has gotten onboard with us. Since I am doing two smoothies a day, I make my dinner one and then make one for DH, pack it in a Pint and a Half Mason jar, and stick it in the fridge. DH snags it at 5:30 in the am when he leaves. I make my morning shake and make one for DS at the same time. I love that they are getting so much good stuff all at once. Plus, I have started making DH a lunch so he won''t have to stop at the Plug and Jug Market (the only quick mart around the ranch) and eat god knows what for lunch.

This food program has changed my shopping habits as well. We power through fresh fruits and veggies at an incredible pace. So I sneak by the market that has day old produce cheap more. Also, I can't eat processed food because it has hidden amount of the foods I am avoiding. Yesterday, I found a 4oz organic packet of prosciutto normally $6.50 with a sale and a dollar off making it $4.00. That is still a $1.00 an ounce when I usually buy sale lunchmeat for about $1.50 for 8 ounces.

And what did I do? I stared at it for awhile, walked away, came back and stared at it again and then bought two packs. Why? Beause I am committed to cleaning up our food act. Less is more and I am excited to search cooking light.com to find wonderful recipes using meat as a condiment rather than the meal itself.

All this is made possible because I am through with my degree, my son is much more independent and I have TIME. I want to thoroughly enjoy this year and use the time to make my food program work. No procrastinating, I might be going back full time next fall.

Wave to all. So proud of the success of everybody: getting back on OP, not eating over frustration, planning for exercise classes, stopping when full.

Now off to step class.

Last edited by maryann; 09-20-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Great night last night - our footy team broke the "Kennet curse" to beat their arch nemesis (who they haven't beaten in 5 years) and are now into the grand final next weekend. My partner is a crazy keen supporter so it was lovely to see his excitement!

Yesterday was 100%OP food wise and about 80% on exercise and well-being. Realised yesterday that when I started putting exercise back in after my back recovered I was expecting myself to do exercise everyday, but then I remembered the initial plan was to have 2 of the weekdays off - which is important for me psychologically (ie: to not feel like it is relentless). Was good to realise that as I have been procrastinating a lot about exercise. Also managed to think my way through some work challenges too and realise that the answer may lie in setting more achievable targets for myself. So - credit for being gentle to myself. And credit for OP on food. Oh and I ran into an old friend at the shops and it turns out she has just moved in to a house on my street. How fun!

Gardener joy - hooray for breaking the link between food and averting frustration

Maryann - great to hear that your mood has levelled - and how great if dropping foods will bring you an easier life emotionally! What is the deal with artificial sweetener? I am part way through the Kessler book and there has been one off the cuff reference to artificial sweetener but I don't know why yet.

Beth - yay for remembering "no choice". It is such a powerful tool. And pleased to hear your new shoes have allowed you to walk pain free

BBE - credit to you for not joining in the bread eating. I imagine that would have taken some effort. LOL on the Michael Chrichton.

National Parker - sending you wishes for a relaxing weekend after such a busy work week
Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - International Peace Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, took me to a concert that included Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring which can uplift the spirit anytime. Another walk took me to my favorite library that included the pleasure of the librarian pulling out the book that I'd reserved when she saw me coming. Life is good when you're recognized by your librarian.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Breakfast continues to include no blueberries which, while par for the season, is painful each year and deserving of mention. There are fewer calories in blueberries than raisins that take their place in the cereal. I throw in as many blueberries as are available, but measure raisins.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for having a meeting about February 2014 - seems far into the distant future right now. Yes, this, "don't realize until after how stupid they were." I could plan which books I read, like from my stack, instead of taking an offering from some stranger. But that sounds insular even as I type it.

maryann - Day old produce is just the best when it can be consumed right away. Congrats for grabbing prosciutto at a (relative) bargain. Yay for "TIME."

nationalparker – Yep, "it's up to me, and all that" - just what I need to hear this morning. MAJOR Kudos for eating until no longer hungry.

ForMyGirls - Congrats for breaking the "Kennet curse" (thanks to Wiki for that explanation). And thanks for "footy team" to add to my Aussie colloquialisms. Kudos for the wisdom of "setting more achievable targets for myself."

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

Call or e-mail daily if:
  • You're struggling to stick to your daily eating plan. I've found that some people need to give an account to their coach of what they ate during the day every evening for the first few weeks or longer. It's the only way they can stick to their eating plan. They've told me that they often don't eat certain foods because they didn't want to have to report it.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #130  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday I was hungrier than I have been. Yeah for strengthening my resistance muscle by watching the clock and guessing how long the cravings lasted. The longest one lasted an hour. I didn't explode or anything by waiting it out. Credit.

Housecleaning this morning is exercise along with plenty of rest for my back. It still isn't right. Weight still below ticker. DH brought heavenly honeydews from the field of a farmer friend. Yeah!

BBE: I wrote a story with Appalachian Springs in it. My main character was an autistic girl who learned to dance the "hoedown" in it from her father.

ForMyGirls: From what my book says, artificial sweetener reduces the bodies natural ability to tell itself it is full. It also contributes to insulin resistance (bad news for weightloss.)

Last edited by maryann; 09-21-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #131  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday I hit the two-month mark on my streak of exercising every day!

WI: -0.85kg, Exercise: +30 950/1400 minutes for September, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: cool to be recognized at the library!

ForMyGirls: my experience with artificial sweetener was that when I finally quit my last source of it (Diet Coke), I dropped 5 pounds in 10 days -- and that was at the end of my weight loss journey when dropping weight quickly was no longer anything I expected. I don't know if it was the sweetener or the sodium (there's not much in soda, but I drank a lot of soda and didn't get much sodium otherwise) or something else.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

About 90% OP on food yesterday - right quantities but wrong balance if food groups when a whole lot of the day ended up not being as planned. Credit to me for making adjustments that kept me close to on track. Credit also to me for eating only to mild fullness when out for dinner with a friend and for sticking to Joy's "wine or dessert" approach. 100% OP on exercise / Wellbeing.

Thanks both Maryann and Joy for the info on artificial sweetener - I only have it in diet coke, and that only once a day usually, so hopefully it isn't messing with me too much - though I think lunch (when I have it) is the meal I most frequently end up thinking "ok - what next" at the end of. Not sure I am ready to give up my "DC" yet though - I have never managed to overcome finding drinking water boring so really like having liquid with flavour with my lunch. Will have to ponder that.

BBE - do you know Copland's "In the Beginning"? One of my most favourite choral works and I think one of the finest examples of the musical setting completely matching the meaning of the words. Loved your "life is good when your librarian recognises you":-)

Maryann - riding out an hour long craving is am impressive effort. Well done!

Joy - yay to you for a two month exercise streak. Awesome work!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 225/225/145

Height: 5'6"

Hello coaches. Saturday is my "I MUST weigh and check in" day. Ugh, up 3 lbs and fighting lack of motivation this week. Credit for checking in and weighing in.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #134  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Party--not so good--just sorta turned off the "I need to be on plan" thoughts and ate--however, I stopped when I was full (plus one chocolate piece) so that's actually progress. I also didn't eat anything until all the food was out and ready--I didn't snack while getting things organized.

One of the last people to leave is a friend who came with 3 of his 4 kids. I just loaded him up--leftover cookies, brownies, shortbread bars--they all went to his house. DD will take a small number of cookies back and the rest will go to work with my on Monday. I want them out of my house.

Friday, the 5K was called because of lightning storms. I'd already decided not to walk before they called it--it was pouring buckets and walking in that didn't sound the least bit enjoyable. I ended up changing lunch and dinner on Friday--I forgot part of my lunch Friday and that caused me to go out and I made okay, but not great choices. And then not doing the 5k also messed up dinner plans--but I did okay choosing that.

Today, breakfast and lunch were fine. I ended up not having snacks or dinner--it was 6:45 when I was done setting up for the party so didn't have time for it. It was a great party, though--everyone seemed to have a good time.

I haven't written down tomorrow's plan--but I have it. Back on track after my party...

Oh--DD is home for a day and she and I went into my closet so I could show her what I bought last weekend. Then I slipped on multiple jackets--and a pile of them grew on the floor to be given away. I held out on my previous favorite piece of clothing--I'm going to see if I can take it in or have it taken in--I'm not sure which--it's an unfitted jacket so I should be able to cut it down and put it back together. I don't know if I'll ever really get to it, though. I have 3 pairs of pants to hem and haven't gotten to those yet :-) -- and those will fit once they're washed and hemmed.

Take care, all.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #135  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Autumnal Equinox

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Welcome Fall! So, even though I haven't quite gotten around yet to watching "Breaking Bad," I did experience Bryan Cranston as Lyndon B. Johnson in a stage performance, All The Way. It's painful watching stuff on stage that I lived through.

Exercise was a fun walk with DW, CREDIT moi. We were asked for directions by two lost young women; I thought they'd be crushed when we told them, "Eight blocks that way," but they seemed quite happy just to know they'd be going in the right direction. Must be some lesson in life there.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Two months of exercise sounds like a permanent life change.

maryann - Yep, Kudos for working that resistance muscle. Drooling over those honeydews.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Stopping when full is worthy of Kudos in itself. Extra Kudos for sending the remaining goodies home with a friend.

ForMyGirls - Neat to adopt "wine or dessert." [Didn't know "In the Beginning", but am listening to it as I type.]

khemistry - Oh Yes, Kudos for checking in and weighing. The hardest part is to weigh when the scale isn't known to be going down. You're winning big just by doing that.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

Call or e-mail daily if:
  • You're struggling to stick to your daily eating plan. I've found that some people need to give an account to their coach of what they ate during the day every evening for the first few weeks or longer. It's the only way they can stick to their eating plan. They've told me that they often don't eat certain foods because they didn't want to have to report it.
Closed Thread