Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 07:27 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2022 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:

The Complete Beck Diet for Life
and the first book
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 04-01-2022, 07:29 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - April Fool's Day: Chaucer, "Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote"

Diet Coaches/Buddies - For six weeks I'll have two classes on Thursday. Would prefer to be on separate days so that I could savor each one alone. First class on Neutron Stars met expectations. Naturally, any class about the heavens has to start with Issac Newton, then Einstein's Special Relativity, then his General Relativity, then the otherwise-unexplained motion of the perihelion of Mercury proving that Relativity is right. To top it all off, news of the day carried the story of the star Earendel spotted on a photo taken by the Hubble Telescope from about 900 million years after the big bang! Possible only because gravitational lensing, a feature of General Relativity, multiplied its brightness by 1000. Best read is the immediately-available Wikipedia article. (Wiki notes that Earendel is "Morning Star" in Olde English - justifying the Chaucer quote in the title.)

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was the Trader Joe's package of mixed veggies with shrimp - a favorite of DW who is still outside clearing detritus and pruning in preparation for the predicted arrival of Spring. She loves preparing it because she cooks some rice while mixing the Trader Joe's ingredients in a wok and, voila, she's done.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat to get two meals out of one take out order. Love that ordering your closet makes it easier to make choices.

maryann - Waving back toward Michigan and your DS's concert. Wish your DH well in his Attentive Watchfulness regime; the current issue of Science News details the benefits and the history of Attentive Watchfulness. I read it carefully. As I understand it, all men are on that path.

nationalparker – Absolutely love the notion of asking one's spouse what can I do to help your day. LOL at the difficulty reading WWII books that mention having tea and biscuits - without putting on the kettle. Books as a trigger is a new notion to me; wonder why Dr. Beck never mentioned it.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for the warning that the DGD might ask me if the Tooth Fairy left anything for me. Perhaps I'll tell her that the Tooth Fairy only collects baby teeth. Either that or I'll tell her that I got $10 - the going rate! And let her mom try to deal with that one.

curlyjax - Kudos for "stared longingly at some big cookies but backed away." Always credit for the temptations not followed.

Penny. - So good that your 15 yo DD got the electives she wanted - to be sure that school remains attractive. Love bribing your kids to letting you pull the reluctant baby teeth. Great that you'll get more walking to and from school.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Stage 2 - The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Your Think Thin Bonus Calorie Options

Results from Germany's Lean Habits study of 1,247 dieters bear out this idea. Dieters who tried to lose weight by eliminating sweets and other favorite foods were much less likely to maintain their weight loss than dieters who included these foods from the beginning of their diets.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 120.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-02-2022 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Mercury not Mars - brain slip.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

Here's curlyjax's post this morning before I realized that I'd forgotten to start the April thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjax View Post
Another busy day at work yesterday. Exercise was walking around Target getting odds and ends, including Easter candy for my young adults who are coming home this weekend. DD is working so I’m going to pick up DS and we’re doing an early Easter Naturally I got into the candy already, ugh. But it will then be gone after this weekend.
I also did some stationary biking at home as my good hip is making its presence known, and that does help to get exercise. It helped as I watched hours of tv; I feel so unmotivated to pickup, do dishes etc. I don’t think I’m depressed exactly-maybe waiting for the warmer weather to motivate me.
Bill-that class sounds just up your alley. I think the tooth fairy should leave something for adults- perhaps a bottle of scotch or similar!
Maryann- so exciting to have a quick trip to see DS! Foldable shoes sound amazing.
Penny- glad things sound good for both kiddos at school. My kids didn’t have time to go to their lockers between classes as it was so big, and they tended to leave the books home for homework I think. Seems so far away already!
Karen- interesting that we don’t need as much protein as we think. I tend to fall back on cheese which isn’t a good idea.
Nationalparker-you are doing such a great job with the house. I think women are in general good multitaskers which explains why spouses sometimes have differing ways of doing things, lol. Tea and toast does sound good- I remember having cinnamon toast as a treat when I was sick, yum.
Gardenerjoy- yay for cozy outfits, I have a lot of those!
Old 04-01-2022, 10:45 AM   #4  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

We had been asked to watch our older grandson (4.5 yo) this weekend, starting this afternoon, so made plans around that, bought food he especially enjoys (chocolate almond milk, noodles, etc.) and then older stepdaughter calls last night ... she supposedly thinks he's calling me Mommy instead of Nana, and now we don't get him. DH said that is not true, I have always been Nana. He has always loved coming here, never cried when he was dropped off, unlike most tots when they realize what's happening, but would cry when she'd come to pick him up. Then when he was verbal, he'd say, "I stay with Nana." She never liked that instead of feeling good that he was loved and felt secure here. Now we "might" get him tomorrow. Not holding my breath. It's only if it's convenient for her. We were both angry last night. Angry, frustrated, irritated, you name it. Then, we tackled our taxes. Which were less frustrating that dealing with her. She has most of what she wants from DH's parents' home, so ... not surprised by this. But am by the lie.

Today I'm going to an art museum with a friend, and looking forward to a cheer-up. They have a floral exhibit this weekend to complement the art, and I'm intrigued by that. With an open evening, now, we'll go see CODA at the theatre. I saw it earlier this year and laughed and cried, enjoying it all and now will take DH for date night.

A wonderfully relaxing morning for me, writing letters and working on my photograph files. It has been nice to not have to clock watch for a few hours. Yesterday I called to get on a cancellation listing for the endocrinologist and am hopeful that will come to pass soon. I read on the NIH site that selenium helps with Hashimoto's (by reducing antibody levels and potentially allowing for less medication need down the line) and that Brazil nuts are basically the best plant-based option for that mineral. I can't remember what they taste like.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:35 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

My plan for a half sandwich and small salad fell apart when my evening plans got disrupted by a family emergency. DH's niece who struggles with mental health issues asked me to drive her to the ER of a particular hospital in St. Louis with a psychiatric unit -- so I gobbled down my whole sandwich (no time to fix or eat a salad) and took off to her house.

By the time I got to her house, about 45 minutes from mine, she wasn't so sure that she wanted to go. That's also when I found out that her basement was flooded. A flooded basement is enough to overwhelm anyone! So, we decided to address that problem and see if the emotional and mental elements improved.

It seems to have worked. I did the research to find her a plumber and made the call. She handled the actual plumber visit on her own, this morning. Her basement is drying, and her mental state has stabilized. In fact, it had by the time I left last night -- just having a good plan made a difference.

I missed my March exercise goal by a little bit. Weirdly, it wasn't the knee sprain that caused the problem -- exercise felt like part of the solution. The food poisoning sunk my exercise goal because it wasn't at all clear how soon and how much to exercise. I maintained my exercise-every-day streak, however. A couple of days exercise looked like multiple 5-minute stretching breaks. But I count that!

Exercise +50, 1445/1500 minutes for March

nationalparker: I tried BookCrossing years ago, but it didn't seem to be much of a thing around here. Maybe I'll look into it again. Sanitizing wipes and drying sounds like a good method to me. I think that's what some libraries were doing at the beginning of COVID when we all thought that surfaces might be a problem.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I started the day with a ten mile hike by myself listening to podcasts and then came home and walked Otis. It's a beautiful day and just hit 80 degrees. I've had my lunch and will get cleaned up and see what gets done the rest of the day. I thought about staying home and doing some housework, but dh encouraged me to hike instead. It didn't take much. Food has been on plan and I'm making Kale Power Bowls for dinner with tricolor quinoa, sweet potato and kale among other things. We haven't tried this one yet.

Nationalparker I'm sorry for the frustration with dealing with dsd especially considering it means less time with dgs. I'm sure his time with you is so good for him. Hopefully you're having a nice time at the art museum and then date night.

Curlyjax I'll have to say it must be difficult to have the foods around that the kids want. It would be difficult for me. I'm glad the exercise helps your hip.

Bill Your class sounds very interesting and I would have to take a class to prepare for the class. What was the second class? Did I miss something?

Penny I don't think I would consider going as low on protein as you are. I'm thinking 60 grams would be good. What about legumes? I know there is protein in lots of things except fruit, but my main sources are legumes and tofu. I mostly consider nuts and seeds as fats.

Maryann I hope you have a great time in Michigan and that dh is doing fine after the biopsy.

GardenerJoy You certainly had good reason to eat the whole sandwich and probably a good thing you did. I'm sure it was most helpful for your niece for you to be there to help her. I think you did well with your exercise goal especially considering the food poisoning.

Ann How are you doing?

Onebyone Are you busy teaching classes?

I feel amazingly good. I think I might just set the time for one hour of housework and then get in the shower after that. I'll let you know.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:33 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Danish storyteller Hans Christian Andersen born (1805, Odense, Denmark)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. DW had too many asparagus; remembered a dish she'd made for guests some 30 years ago - and found the recipe. Consisted of lots of Red Bell Peppers, Yellow Bell Peppers, Purple Onion, leftover rotisserie chicken, and three spices from Penzeys. Our kitchen supports Penzeys big time. We don't just own, we use lots of their stuff - some of it bought in bags to refill the expensive little jars. The dish was fabulous and was a joy to remember the couple who'd come to dinner. They had been with us on our journey through Tanzania. Neat that spices can bring back memories deep inside the old brain.

Walked, CREDIT moi, through parts of the neighborhood I'd not seen in a while. I expect to get arrested as I stare for a while at a house trying to figure out what it had been before they renovated it. Or figure out what the purpose was for odd configurations. Restrain myself from knocking on a door asking, "Why is your house strange?" Picked up a tiny book at a curbside library - small enough to slip in my coat pocket. An amateur book with pictures of Concord, Massachusetts. Quick read and I'll put it in a different curbside library on my next walk. Perhaps I'm contributing to the distribution of knowledge, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for resolving your DH's niece’s dilemma - part counselor, part home manager. Getting a plumber out on short notice is a major accomplishment around here. Heart-warming story.

nationalparkerCODA (Child of Deaf Adults) looks like an interesting challenge to watch. Your art museum with floral exhibit must have been a joy. Good luck continuing to stay calm in the presence of your DSD's behavior. Smart that you remember that being "Nana" is your goal.

Karen (karenrn) - Seems smart to assign yourself exactly one hour of housework. My second course is the one I've talked about before based on the book by Paige Harden whose article in the New Yorker you remembered reading. It continues to challenge my brain - not my usual way of thinking.

curlyjax - Early Easter with both kids sounds fun. Do you have a traditional family dish like ham?

Readers -
Quote:

Some dieters initially worry that they will lose control if they allow themselves to eat their favorite foods, especially sweets and salty snacks. I'm going to teach you how to gain control - even over your trigger foods!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 121.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:28 AM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was a normal eating day, in our current sense of normal. We're still not fixing suppers together which means we're spending a lot less time on food prep and getting a lot less variety. It's still working for us. I asked DH last night to be sure. So, I'm not inclined to be in a hurry to get back to the old normal. It's resulting in fewer calories, too.

Exercise +40, 40/1400 minutes for April
Old 04-02-2022, 10:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

My work colleague seems a little down the past few days. I know there are things going on in her personal life but she is so hypersensitve and I tend to joke around, then worry if I've said something wrong. The newest member of our team is really fun and not so sensitive so i've been enjoying chatting with her. I love having colleagues that I enjoy but its exhausting too figuring out these nuances. After work I had a quick nap then went to pick up DS for our early Easter weekend. He's going to help me put together the raised garden bed kit I bought, so that will be fun. I guess I'll be prepping the Easter baskets tonight and I'm going to throw out any extra candy I don't use so its gone. I'm not sure what else is going on, the kids might be doing something together. I slept in until 9 and don't have any other formal plans today other than the usual dump etc. Maybe I'll go for a walk since my foot is finally a bit better and that would be good for my hip.
Bill- thanks for moving my post, April foods indeed. We're not doing a dinner, this is all about the chocolate only DD is working so its too complicated. We love ham, DS doesn't so its probably takeout tonight to give me a night off.
Karen-that bowl sounds great. Did you find you had a lot of um, gas as you increased your legume intake, or not? I do need to consistently use some plant based protein more.
Gardenerjoy- what a great aunt, I'm sure your niece was so glad for your help. I would fall apart with a flooded basement too.
Nationalparker-so sorry about your stepdtr's behavior, I hope it works out so you can see him. Museum and movie look great,glad you're having some fun!

Old 04-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I am finally sipping my (decaf ha!) coffee and enjoying a free morning after surviving the first busy week of having kids in school - and working.

The 5th grader loves it, the 9th grader doesn't want to go and requires a lot of emotional support.

My uterine biopsy was negative for cancer so next step is the ultrasound. I'm still overeating at times so no weightloss progress.

Karen, I have legumes every day, which adds to my excellent fiber. I should do more tofu meals but I've been out of cooking mode with everything going on.

Nationalparker, sorry about missing your gs. Your sd sounds very insecure.

Joy, sounds like you did so good for your niece. A flooded basement sounds overwhelming indeed.

Bill, as usual, your classes sound so interesting. The stirfry dinners sound like a good idea for me too right now.

Curly, you had me grabbing the calendar to make sure it isn't Easter tomorrow. My kids would be very upset with me if I missed it. Ha! Enjoy your weekend.

Maryann, how exciting to fly to see your son in concert! I love a well organized travel bag too.
Old 04-02-2022, 01:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I took the day off from hiking today and have made some phone calls and had a trip to Costco. I got there right when they opened so it wasn't too bad. I notice I am one of the minority still in a mask. Food has been on plan. I'm getting used to using Chronometer and I'm sure it will be helpful for the nutritionist to look at that to see how I've been eating and look at the macro and micronutrient data.

We're going out to dinner with a friend and I picked a restaurant after checking the menu to see if there is something tasty for everyone. It's so busy around here this time of year that I'm sure it will be crowded, so we'll go a bit early and expect a wait. They don't take reservations for 3.

Penny I hope the 9th grader comes around and so it isn't so hard on her or you. As for tofu, I slice the firm tofu, press the water out, marinate it and bake it and have some in the fridge. I usually do 2 containers at a time and then we use it in the bowls. I know the legumes are probably better protein with less fat, but I can only eat so many of them.

Curlyjax It will be so nice to get your raised beds in place. Yes, the transition to plant based eating should probably have been done over more than a day or two. It took awhile for our microbiomes to get used to so many more beans as well as an increase in vegetables. If I had it to do over I would have taken it a little slower, or maybe a lot slower. There was a lot of running to the bathroom so as not to gross out the partner on both of our parts.

GardenerJoy Is dh doing his own thing for meals? Mine would starve if that happened around here, at least at dinner time.

Bill I did the housework. I did some picking up and cleaned 3 bathrooms. Yay me. The dinner with peppers and asparagus sounds really good. I've got to go check out the Penzeys store. I have spices given to me, but have never actually been in the store.

Waving to everyone else! Have a great weekend.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:27 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Harry Truman signs Marshall Plan's $5B aid to 16 European countries (1948)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A planned sleepover with the (6yo) DGD was postponed when she woke up at home with a fever and her doctor ran two tests: not COVID, but YES flu. Can't expose ourselves to a kid with flu. Her mom had to stay home with her while the DSIL went to the party that they had both so much wanted to attend that they'd arranged the sleepover with us. We'll try again in a week; they can just have a date night. That left us with no dinner plans since the sleepover featured dinner at a chain restaurant near her home that she knows and loves. We walked to a new-to-us South East Asian restaurant. I wandered from any sane path and had a pork dish containing the word 'crispy.' Had so much pork that I had to bring some home in a doggie bag. But I had to dig through mounds of fried pork fat. CREDIT moi for not eating all the fried pork fat despite it tasting amazing good. Ouch for ordering something that didn't really fit my eating plan. A side dish of mixed veggies with tofu was a winner.

The walk, CREDIT moi, to the restaurant was a joy. DW pointed out all the hellebores blossoming in different gardens. Since I'd never heard of them until a few years ago, I'm always surprised to spot them everywhere. It's a hardy plant that tolerates New England and blossoms when otherwise there are only snow drops.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Noting the phrase, "in our current sense of normal" - we're all in such a twist that normal normal seems like a dream.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at "They don't take reservations for 3." Perhaps they only accept reservations for even sized groups. Or for groups that aren't prime numbers. When we attempted to make a reservation last night via their web site, we were asked for a credit card so we could be charged $30 if we arrived 10 minutes late or not at all. No. Just NO. I called the restaurant directly and made the reservation over the phone using only my first name, phone number, and no credit card. Before I hung up I'd received the confirmation text message. I was impressed.

curlyjax - Great that you have work colleagues that are fun to be with. Good luck getting your raised beds in place. They sound like the only solution to groundhogs.

Penny. - Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to chase down your pain. Super Congrats for surviving your first week as a mom of kids in public school. Hope the 15 yo begins to get interested at least in the electives she chose.

Readers -
Quote:

I recently helped Mira introduce her favorite food back into her diet. She liked a certain sugary cereal, but also found that she had difficulty limiting herself to just one bowl. So she had decided to eliminate it from her diet completely. I asked Mira if she wanted to always ban this cereal or if she might like to have it some time in the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 121.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-03-2022 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-03-2022, 09:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

DS made the elevated garden bed and it looks great. I'll need a friend to transport it outside in a few weeks as I'm thinking it would be good to put a coat of varnish on the outside, its untreated wood. Or I could wait until DS is home in early May, I just don't know how early to plant stuff. I'm going to yoga today and my friend with a green thumb will be there, so I can ask her. I also have to figure out what I want to plant.
The Easter baskets are done and I threw out the rest of the candy-after eating some of course-and brought it to the dump so its indeed gone. I forgot I was going to see a local play last night with a new friend who is a widow. It was well done, and nice to see her. I didn't get formal exercise but I bustled around the house putting things away so that counts. Dinner was an omelette with a lot of leftover veggies, and a half of a PBJ sandwich.
Penny-I'm so glad it isn't cancer. I hear you about eating over stressful health things!
Bill- sorry you didn't get DGD but wise to safeguard your health. How fun to try a new restaurant.
Karen- too funny about the gas. I feel like that is one of those things that gets worse with aging, our bodies start revolting in all sorts of ways. What do you marinate the tofu in?
Gardenerjoy-whatever works foodwise is whats important for sure.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

I caught up on posts this morning. Super tired with time transition here in Michigan. Great day yesterday with concert shopping and excellent food. This morning we are waiting for DS to come over. Maybe hit a museum then dinner. We load our flight at 7:30 tonight. It will be an early workday tomorrow.

A little sad this morning. We will miss the boy.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan for weightloss, so glad about that. It was a restful day. Today I should probably get some cleaning done. The dog hair on the floor motivates me and it is really screaming at me now.

Karen, ooh boy, yes, the gas with a wfpb diet. It lasted about a couple weeks for me. It was a desperate google search that took me to the clean food dirty girl website. Tips

Bill, that's sad for little dgd to have the flu. I hope she feels better quickly and the whole family doesn't suffer. Our family had it just once and we still occasionally talk about how miserable it was.

Curly, very cool that you are doing a garden! As people were discussing clearing out cookbooks, I had two delivered: The Art of Simple Food 1 and 2 by Alice Waters. She is inspiring me to do more herbs and salad greens. It will be fun to follow what you decide to plant.

Maryann, safe travels! Your time with ds sounds like it has been very special.
Closed Thread