Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-04-2004, 06:26 PM   #1  
Super Student Nurse

Default BFL shopping list

What is your weekly shopping list for BFL? My first list will probably consist of: (if you all have any suggestions for my list, please let me know!)

potatoes
sweet potatoes
tyson chicken breast (the kind in the lunch meat section)
Whole Wheat bread
Beans (perhaps some FF refried beans? are those allowed?)
torillas
egg beaters
skim milk
cottage cheese (I'll give it a try, gotta mix it up fine though!)
splenda
flavor drops (any suggestions?)
Tuna
Whole Wheat crackers

I may also get some shakes, what are your suggestions as far as these go?

Lets hear your lists!
nurse2bmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:03 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well...actually this isn't really a "BFL" forum per se (we don't advocate any single diet or fitness program here at LWL) but you might want to check the "Articles worth Reading" sticky thread for an article entitled "Foods that Make you Look Good Nekkid" for some basic bodybuilding eats ideas.

For me personally, I'd ace the bread, tortillas, and especially the crackers - I've found that flour/bread products are hard for me to limit and if I do include them in my diet, I GAIN weight! Personally I'd keep my complex carbs limited to stuff like old-fashioned oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, beans, etc. The 'closer to nature' the better

Instead of the deli sliced chicken breast, why not just cook up a bunch of chicken breasts? It's WAY more economical, and better for ya besides. That presliced stuff tends to have a lot of salt and stuff you really DON'T want to eat.

Egg Beaters are very expensive - I used to buy them until I figured out that 'real' eggs are always on sale (this week I got cartons of 18 x-large eggs at Smart & Final for $1.29 per carton!!) and guess what - they taste better too! I can't STAND the taste of Egg Beaters now.

One thing I don't see on your list is the most important. VEGGIES. GREEN VEGGIES. Not to mention fruit! I can't stress how important it is to eat plenty of veggies if you're trying to lose weight - actually EVERYONE should eat lots of veggies, but ESPECIALLY if you're trying to lose bodyfat - ya gotta eat those veggies!!!

I haven't done shakes in eons - they just don't keep me satisfied and I burnt out on them after 3 years.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:57 PM   #3  
Mel

I agree with everything MrsJim said! LOL, what a surprise I'd add fish of every type, shellfish, lean beef, broccoli, more broccoli, spinach, green and red peppers, and nix the white potato. But that's just a personal peeve, it's very BFL authorized.

I do use shakes in the form of protein powders that I either drink just mixed with water or baked into muffins (see out recipe thread). I buy big tubs of protein powder on-line and carry it dry in a mixer cup with me to work. Add water and shake. To make it BFL friendly, add a piece of fruit to the meal. My current favorites are HDT ProBlend 55 and SAN Anabolic Infusion. The Chocolate PB Anabolic infusion can be baked into a brownie in the microwave. Very tasty whey to get your protein.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I agree with veggies! Some of my favorites are tomatoes (I eat grape tomatoes like candy), sweet bell peppers and celery. Also, if you are talking about the chicken breast strips by tyson (or any brand), I'd be very careful, i believe they add sugar to them. I know they aren't allowed on my eating plan (South Beach Diet) because of stuff that is added to them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #5  

Default I hate to shop - Shopping List

I do hate to grocery shop but do like to play with food.

Whole eggs, like it has been said, more economical, and I am not sure what the processing is in the beaters, I toss out the yolks after I have one for color, so I use one whole egg and one or two egg whites. Costco has double 18's for about $4 I think, and never had a problem.

Lots of brocoli, cauliflower and spinach. I make a faux mashed potato with the cauliflower sometimes, adding some grated cheese. Also I treat myself to the fresh produce section and Farmer's Market. One of my snacks is leftover veggies in vinegrette.

Apples of course are coming into season, so that is going to be my treat too.

I agree with the chicken breasts versus the prepared. If time is an issue, schedule a block of time to prepare and freeze. Also, I have started grinding my own hamburger and ground turkey at home. That takes time, but I know what I am eating.

I use whey protein shakes I make up as I need them, I get the vanilla flavor and add frozen strawberries, raspberries or blueberries, another treat of mine. I haven't found a flavor of the premixed shakes that I like.

I agree on the fish, the frozen fish section, just the frozen fish is pretty good. I get mine from Trader Joe's if you have one of those, worth the trip.

I am more Atkins than others here, so I use a lot more cheese, each shopping trip, I treat myself to something like some feta to go on the spinach salad or brie that meals in my mouth.

Also, lemons and limes are great to add to chicken, beef or lamb to liven things up without overburdening the meat with sugars or starches (though the lemons and limes do have carbs if you are counting those).

The best part of your list is that you have a list, a plan of action, that is really great and will add to your success. After a while I found that my list making time, menu planning activities took very little time and the real benefit is that if I go off plan it is because I want to not because I have failed.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote