Looking Good, Feeling Great - Capris: yay or nay?

View Full Version : Capris: yay or nay?

Wannabeskinny
05-29-2013, 05:42 PM
It's almost summer and you know what that means... Less clothing! The start if warm weather always makes me panic a bit about showing my arms and legs but especially my legs! I refuse to wear shorts and the next best thing is capris. But so many style gurus (Tim Gunn included!) advocate against capris because they shorten the leg. What do you think? Hesitantly I rock my capris anyway.

veggiedawg
05-29-2013, 05:55 PM
I love capri's! I feel more comfortably covered in capri's and I hate when shorts ride up inbetween the thighs--I always have that problem.

This summer I was thinking of trying skorts. At least, the skirt part would cover up the riding up problem, right?

I vote YES for capri's! :) Especially if you are wearing sandals.

Terri1955
05-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Yes for capri's especially with ute sandals and a pedi

CanadianCutie
05-29-2013, 06:13 PM
I only wear shorts around the house/quick trips out, but I'll wear capris. I'm picky about my capris though. I don't like the full elastic waist ones, I prefer ones with zipper and button closure. And I don't like the bright colored ones. I have a pair of brown ones from kmart a few years ago, and a pair from kohl's.

Chronostasis
05-29-2013, 06:15 PM
I can't stand shorts, but I love capris! :) Whether or not they make your legs look shorter, I don't know. I'm tall enough that it doesn't really make much difference to me personally.

Remington90
05-29-2013, 06:18 PM
I think capri's are just fine given you find what works and looks best for you. For me, I cannot wear jean capris. They are not flattering on me, not matter the "pattern", colour, shape; anything. I have a bunch of "legging" type capris as well as some capri sweats and a few cute printed or patterned ones. I think the "looking length" of your body can be evened out with what you wear on top. I'm a laying freak. I layer everything I wear regardless of if it's hot or cold. I find personally, if you invest in a long tank top (and THIN material), and put that under a cute t-shirt, with capris, that will give the illusion of a "longer" body. Given the shirt goes past your crotch a teensie bit, noone will really know where your waist starts, therefore no idea how long your legs are haha.

Pair them with a cute pair of (not super high) wedges. Any shoe with a lift adds length to your legs. Good luck!

ichoose2believe
05-29-2013, 06:29 PM
I love capri's they are my fave :D I dislike my thighs so I don't do shorts too often.

MAK247
05-29-2013, 06:51 PM
I think capris are ok, but it depends on the capris. I think the fitted/legging style work better than say clam digger types. In other words, it's best to keep them at or just below the knee, don't let them hover just over your ankles. I'm short so I have a hard time finding capris that end above mid-calf. I have a couple athletic/legging ones and a couple yoga/lounge type pairs...One of my favorite pairs of pants is a pair of gouchos, even though that trend has come and gone I still wear them, they're so comfy!

100Mother
05-29-2013, 07:12 PM
My ex husband used to say capris make women look like chickens.

He is REALLY stupid, so Capris must be awesome :)

Plus they are cumfy and make me feel cute.

TheSecondHalf
05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
In truth, they are not flattering on 90% of women - including me. However, it's roughly the same temperature as the surface of the sun where I live and shorts aren't always appropriate. Mostly, I wear skirts but I'm no stranger to capris.

bargoo
05-29-2013, 08:52 PM
I love capris and wear them all the time . Like all clothing try them before you buy them as lengths vary, see which length looks best on you.

Mozzy
05-29-2013, 10:32 PM
I hate capris!!!

elvislover324
05-29-2013, 10:35 PM
I bought a pair of Vera Wang skinny capris at Kohl's. They changed my life. I don't feel deprived of summer clothes anymore. I never wear anything "skinny" style but wanted these so bad. I saw 2 people last night and they said I looked skinny! Must have been the capris because 191lbs isn't skinny! ;)

newleaf123
05-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Capris are all I wear in the warmer weather. That and dresses. No shorts, unless it's to exercise or work in the garden. I never knew they were a fashion no-no...

opheliaphoenix
05-29-2013, 10:56 PM
My husband hates them, so I don't wear them. Which isn't much of a loss I guess, because they make me feel kind of older and soccermom-ish. It's probably just the way they look on my pear body type, though. However, I have seen some cute leggings that are capri length, so I'd probably be willing to wear those under a shorter dress or with the right top.

Vex
05-29-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm 100% certain they are not the most flattering item out there. That doesn't stop me from wearing them when it's 90+ out.

I've found I actually prefer bermudas to capris.

amandie
05-29-2013, 11:52 PM
I say yay as long it is the right length/style for your body type and height. Hard for me to find many with my short pear body. I only have 2 pairs that are actual capris and looks good on me.

thinkfit
05-30-2013, 12:20 AM
I like capris that fit more like leggings, so they're snug and hit below the knee. If they're loose and hanging around mid calf they completely make my ankles disappear and I get tree stump legs. Not exactly a hot look.

shcirerf
05-30-2013, 12:59 AM
I think they look great on other people.:D

I put them on and feel like they make my behind look 2 miles wide and my legs 2 inches long.

Don't own any and never will. I have a hang up about them. Dumb, I know, but is what it is.

Roo2
05-30-2013, 01:59 AM
Like Capri but prefer them not to be loose.
I think Capri gives a summery feeling without showing too much skin.

merilung
05-30-2013, 02:20 AM
I wear capri length pants to work out in, but that's it. I prefer shorts, miniskirts, and sundresses. That said, don't worry about what 'style gurus' say - wear whatever you want, whatever makes you feel awesome, and everyone else be damned!

Aidanqm
05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Ugh, no. A pretty summer dress is a much better option. Still hides fat thighs but isn't as thuggish. :p

Wannabeskinny
05-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Ugh, no. A pretty summer dress is a much better option. Still hides fat thighs but isn't as thuggish. :p

I'd agree with you if I didn't think my thighs need to be bound and separated for fear of starting fire :o

Song of Surly
05-30-2013, 10:01 AM
I'd agree with you if I didn't think my thighs need to be bound and separated for fear of starting fire :o

THIS! I wear skirts and dresses most of the time in the summer, but I can't if I plan to be walking around a lot.

I'm going to a big amusement park as one of my dear friend's bachelorette celebrations. It's going to be hot, and I'm kinda agonizing over what to wear. I still feel my legs are too big and pastey white for shorts, but I hate the look of capris on me, especially if I want to wear my light uh... tennis shoe/sandal things I have. I'm thinking a pair of skinny bermudas or a pair of skinny capris. Are the skinny capris more flattering than the wader type?

bethFromDayton
05-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Are the skinny capris more flattering than the wader type?

Yes, they are. Several people have pointed out that the ones that fall just below the knee are also more flattering than "clam diggers". (I don't think the wide legged just above the ankles ones look good on anyone.)

For those who like to wear skirts and summer dresses but have thigh rubbing problems, you might want to look into split slips--I have several and they really make a difference when wearing summer dresses in the heat. I also carry talcum powder to make my thighs chafe less.

elvislover324
05-30-2013, 11:11 AM
I have the flair jeans ones, I love them too. I have crops, flair and now skinny. I wear them all and love all of them. I'm not confident enough yet to wear casual dresses but hopefully that is coming.

And I am so checking out the split slip, thanks Beth!

I got a new skort too, I'm hoping I'll be brave enough to wear it this weekend. It's white and goes to my knees, I feel naked without it being black and to my ankles!! :)

fadedbluejeans
05-30-2013, 11:13 AM

:flame: :rofl:

TurboMammoth
05-30-2013, 11:14 AM
I bought a pair on sale the other day and I actually don't know why I got them, every times I put them they make me look larger. :(

zoritsa
05-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Considering I don't wear shorts,skirts,or dresses,and I don't want to bake in my jeans...I wear capris.I don't care what the fashion industry thinks either.I don't sweat a lot,even in the summer heat and I need something that I can feel comfortable in,and the capri is a nice fix.Also,the only person I want to impress is my husband,and he could care less what kind of clothes I wear...within reason,lol :D

Silverfire
05-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Love them and wear them all the time. My "shorts" vary in length from Burmuda to Capri! I don't want that bit of chub that hangs just above my knees to show!

Radiojane
05-30-2013, 12:54 PM
I"m not thrilled with the pair I have now, but I think that's mostly because I'm shaped so funny now that my waist dictates having pants that are a size too big in the legs. I've never seen any that looked particularly bad on anyone.

krampus
05-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Nay. I have big quads and hams and capris make my legs look like upside down pyramids.

Wannabeskinny
05-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Love them and wear them all the time. My "shorts" vary in length from Burmuda to Capri! I don't want that bit of chub that hangs just above my knees to show!

Yes I hate my knees and above!

Wannabeskinny
05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Nay. I have big quads and hams and capris make my legs look like upside down pyramids.

Ugh, me too for real! Actually my whole body from waist down looks like an upside down pyramid. But what to do? It's hot in the summer!

Em Coconut
05-30-2013, 07:33 PM
As long as they are the right length and the right fit, then I definitely say yes! I couldn't pull off skirts or shorts to save my life right now, so capris are a good option for me :) but I've had my share of bad ones, awful.

ChickieChicks
05-30-2013, 09:23 PM
I have never put much thought into it, but I don't recall seeing many women (at all sizes) looking unattractive in capris. I think they look pretty good on everyone, and they are a good alternative to shorts, especially for me.

seabiscuit
05-30-2013, 11:27 PM
I personally like capris. I wear them on certain occasions, not on the more formal ones but on the more casual days. I understand the hesitancy about showing skin. I think they are a comfy alternative to full length slacks in the warmer months.

:sunny:

:goodvibes

:df:

alaskanlaughter
05-31-2013, 12:39 AM
when I wear shorts I like to wear REALLY SHORT ones and those are not appropriate for work or practically anywhere....so I have a nice pair of capris to wear when it gets warmer here..."hot" here means temps in the 70s and summer usually doesn't get much above 60 so it's never been a big fashion issue for me lol

Wannabeskinny
05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Interesting blog post about capris http://www.blogher.com/tim-gunn-says-no-capri-pants-and-i-concur-sort

Wannabeskinny
05-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Tim Gunn's style do's and dont's
http://www.tipsonlifeandlove.com/self-help/make-it-work-tim-gunns-12-fashion-dos-and-donts

Riddy
05-31-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't worry about what "they" say about capris. If it's too hot for long pants, I wear capris. Comfort rules when it comes to heat in my book. I think the shorter girls need to be more conscious of length, but I can get away with anything from knee length to just above the ankle.

My big nay is shorts - they just don't look good on me. I have quite a collection of skorts - I think they are so much more flattering on me!

bethFromDayton
05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
But so many style gurus (Tim Gunn included!) advocate against capris because they shorten the leg.

The article someone else linked to showed that he objected to loose cargo capris, but likes the form fitting ones. That's pretty close to what most of us are saying is most flattering!

betsy2013
05-31-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't worry about what "they" say about capris. If it's too hot for long pants, I wear capris. Comfort rules when it comes to heat in my book. I think the shorter girls need to be more conscious of length, but I can get away with anything from knee length to just above the ankle.

My big nay is shorts - they just don't look good on me. I have quite a collection of skorts - I think they are so much more flattering on me!

I'm with you or else I've just reached that age where I say WTH and people chalk it up to the eccentricity of getting older. Yes, I try to look at least presentable, but I wear what's comfortable and what I like.

elvislover324
05-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I decided when I go away over the summer, I'm going to dress like my heart wants to dress but my brain won't let me.

I'll be in a city (with my husband who will be on business) where I don't know anyone and will probably never see them again ever. I'm going wear shorts with tshirts, maybe a tanktop with no cardigan type cover (this one is freaking me out), and a casual shorter dress that I bought to just wear in my yard. I'm going to own it and pretend that I dress like this all of the time and see if I get the hairy eyeball from anyone. (It's not going to be anything distasteful, just out of my personal comfort zone.) If the anxiety doesn't kill me, I'll report the results! Capris and 3-quarter length sleeves make me feel safe and covered yet cooler than wearing jeans and long pants, esp. when it's 90 degrees out like today.

Riddy
05-31-2013, 11:04 PM
I decided when I go away over the summer, I'm going to dress like my heart wants to dress but my brain won't let me.

I'll be in a city (with my husband who will be on business) where I don't know anyone and will probably never see them again ever. I'm going wear shorts with tshirts, maybe a tanktop with no cardigan type cover (this one is freaking me out), and a casual shorter dress that I bought to just wear in my yard. I'm going to own it and pretend that I dress like this all of the time and see if I get the hairy eyeball from anyone. (It's not going to be anything distasteful, just out of my personal comfort zone.) If the anxiety doesn't kill me, I'll report the results! Capris and 3-quarter length sleeves make me feel safe and covered yet cooler than wearing jeans and long pants, esp. when it's 90 degrees out like today.

You go, girl! Rock those shorts, and tanks, and short dress! You can do it, and I'm almost positive you won't die or get struck by lightning! :p

Wannabeskinny
06-01-2013, 12:57 AM
The article someone else linked to showed that he objected to loose cargo capris, but likes the form fitting ones. That's pretty close to what most of us are saying is most flattering!

It's too bad because I love cargo capris they look sporty to me. I also like capris with cuffs that hit right below the knee. One of the articles I posted said that cuffs cut your leg in half but in my case I think being more pear shaped the cuff helps balance the look by adding more width and visual draw to the hem thus not calling so much attention to the top of the thigh.

nelie
06-02-2013, 08:59 AM
I love capris but generally wear form fitting ones. At the gym, I wear the looser capris. No way I'd give up capris :)

mimsyborogoves
06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Since I've lost my weight, I've worn shorts. Not hoochie short, but short shorts. They elongate my legs and since I've started wearing them I feel like any type of pants that are longer than that that aren't full-length pants are unflattering. I'll wear knee-length skirts and dresses, but other than that it's shorts for me. :)

Tibbits2u
06-03-2013, 07:31 PM
i love my capri's, especially my cuffed denim ones. all of mine are slightly form fitting i dont like that loose look. Since i have loose skin sagging around my knees i wont wear shorts, skirts, and dresses unless they cover my knees. so for me capri's are pretty much as good as it gets .

MsBrightside
06-04-2013, 03:14 AM
I love capris! That is what I wear in summertime :)

Munchy
06-04-2013, 11:34 AM
I usually wear dresses or pants, but short shorts around my house (and on my deck to the horror of neighbors, I'm sure).

I own several capris and they only look good on me with heels or wedges like this:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/legs-white-capris-blue-heels-23065999.jpg

I have several peep toe wedges in different bright colors and it looks very pin-up when I wear all black, for example, and red peep toe wedges. It's a good look for work in the summer.

crispin
06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
A loud passionate nay for myself. Being only 4'11", they make me look like a leprechaun. :lol:

I think it can be a cute look on others though. I especially like the look Munchy posted above.

elvislover324
06-04-2013, 12:25 PM
OMG Munchy, I'd have to start a thread about how capris looked on the floor as I'd break my neck wearing those shoes and end up on the floor!! :lol:

celigirl88
06-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I love capris although I wear the "skinny leg" version. That way they don't flare out and make my legs look wider than they are or me shorter. I noticed if they are snug on my calves they look 10x better.

65X65
07-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty short in stature... But find slimming capris and pants by certain manufactures look nicer on me than others. Also think how one is built is more a factor than height. If your shape has you carrying weight through the tummy...hips or upper thighs, capris is may not be the best way to showoff your weight loss. And with all of our different body shapes/ types...isn't that what fashion is all about? Applying an honest assessment of our successes (or genetic good features) is a chance to NOT all be the same! Goal: make someone else wish they looked as good as you in "that" outfit...whatever it is!!!!

TofuSprinkles
07-15-2013, 04:33 PM
If it ends at my calf? Nay.

MauiKai
08-09-2013, 09:27 PM
I wear them and I don't care who or what doesn't like them!

Lass22
08-10-2013, 03:44 PM
No to capri's, but yes to pedal pushers (shorter than capri's).

I'm too short for a capri pant.

65X65
08-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Jeeze...who told you that?!! I wear capris all the time...and think anything goes as log as they fit appropriately. Some of the wide leg stuff does look terrible on me because I am vertically challenged too.......but the fitted look OK...and I've worn the popular prints this summer too!!!! Am not a fan of tight either...just proper fit which means some brands work for me and some really DO NOT!