Ideal Protein Diet - IP Daily Chat Thursday, 1/10/2013

View Full Version : IP Daily Chat Thursday, 1/10/2013

lisa32989
01-10-2013, 06:32 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page for lots of good information and please read before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) here in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), recipes, newbie guide, FAQ, and other important threads. IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.
the Ultimate One-Stop Signature and Ticker Thread - Read here if you have questions! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html)

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos:
have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19

auroragrl
01-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Good morning everyone! Have a great IP totally 100%OP day!

StarSeeker
01-10-2013, 07:40 AM
I am new to IP. I LOVE this plan. My husband is doing it with me! Whoo hoo for us! I have about 30 to lose, he has about 50. We started Monday and so far, so good with one bout of fatigue last night on my part and 2 bouts of nausea on his part that we rectified with an additional shake.

Can't wait to weigh in on Monday! This looks like a great place to share and find motivating tips!

Nitney72
01-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Good morning!

I'm sitting here annoyed and a little weepy- payed tuition bill for the classes my HS senior is taking online from Syracuse University as he prepares to go off to school this August. I'm not ready for this.

On a diet note- I'm down 3 pounds since last Thursday!! I am 100% OP an ready to get to phase 2 (thinking by the end of February) and start exercising and toning up my arse.

Have a great day everyone!

karcher
01-10-2013, 07:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone has heard of ChocoPerfection bars? Are they allowed on IP?
It is that TOM and I'm craving chocolate!!!! Chocolate shake for breakfast it was!!! Determined to stay IP :)

ragdoll74
01-10-2013, 08:25 AM
:welcome2: Star seeker

Goodmorning fellow IPers. Hoping everyone has a great 100% day.

Chloe222
01-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Good morning IP'ers,
Had my WI this morning, down .4. I'll take it, any loss is a good loss, as we always tell each other. My body must be busy re-arranging itself, I feel thinner than that loss would indicate.

Stay OP today! Just remember that every day you stay 100%, that's one less day you have to wait to eat those delicious Phase 3 breakfasts!

mrskuby
01-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Good morning everybody! I weighed in this morning on my home scale as I will no longer be visiting my coach. It looks like I am down 2.2 lbs. I'll take it, even if it is a different scale.

Last night I made beef fajitas...I used Napa cabbage leaves in place of tortillas and it was wonderful!!! I had a beef roast that I marinated in homemade spice marinade and slow cooked in my big cast iron pot. Then I shredded the beef and sauteed some bell peppers, leeks and mushrooms in a skillet. I didn't even miss the tortilla or the cheese! Yummy!

Hope everybody has a great day!! ;P

Nolawhodatchick
01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Good Morning everyone!

As the Queen of the 1 lb loss lately, I had to share this picture...

ragdoll74
01-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Good morning everybody! I weighed in this morning on my home scale as I will no longer be visiting my coach. It looks like I am down 2.2 lbs. I'll take it, even if it is a different scale.

Last night I made beef fajitas...I used Napa cabbage leaves in place of tortillas and it was wonderful!!! I had a beef roast that I marinated in homemade spice marinade and slow cooked in my big cast iron pot. Then I shredded the beef and sauteed some bell peppers, leeks and mushrooms in a skillet. I didn't even miss the tortilla or the cheese! Yummy!

We make shredded beef a lot in my house too. As a matter of fact I put a roast in the crockpot this morning so I could have it for dinner. So nice to have a hot meal ready when I get home.

I'll have to get some Napa cabbage to make tacos with now.

Good Morning everyone!

Thats why we never say ONLY 1 lb here.:)

maezy1
01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
STARSEEKER welcome!!!
NOLACHICK I keep that pic on my iphone and look at it every day. I also took the pic of the 5lb of fat. When I get frustrated I just look at those pics and I am so motivated!

Well very rainy icky day in Baton Rouge today....the sky was scary. It went from orange to yellow, then to grey/green then black. I am seeing animals lining up 2 by 2! Praying that our home doesn't flood with the close to 10 inches of rain. NOLA stay safe!

De11s
01-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Ok so WI last night down 2lbs and 4 in. Not too bad was hoping for more my scale seems more friendly.

RareBird
01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Good (late)morning everyone! I still haven't figured how to reply to more than one person in a post (even though I read the tip), SOOO...

StarSeeker Welcome and good luck! There's no reason not to be successful with all the help and support here.

Ragdoll74 Belated Happy Birthday! You always seem to find the time to reply to posts that don't generally get noticed and you're such a help. I really appreciate your comments.

Nitney72 and Chloe222 Congrats on the losses!

Nolawhodatchick Thanks for putting "one pound" into perspective. The images I used to store in my head were a pound of butter, or 5 pounds of sugar, and those were encouraging too.

I think it was on this thread yesterday (but it's getting hard to keep track of what I read where), that someone said rutabagas were on the restricted vegetables list (so twice a week), but the handout I have says they are select and so are allowed each day. Does anyone know which is correct?

Also, I know people juggle allowed items in a day (like some animal protein at lunch instead of all at night). What about juggling items within the week? What I mean is, does it matter if I have an allowed portion of tomatoes twice a week, or if I have 3 or 4 grape tomatoes daily in a salad? Does that work, or if eaten daily do they affect glycemic load?

Breezy414
01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I am on day 3 and its been rough with the 'blah' feeling..I told myself I would not step on the scale until my WI next Tuesday. Well, I gave in this morning and am down 6lbs! I will go by the clinic's scale, but this was just the little motivational push I needed...AND...I used a ketone strip this morning and appear to be in the swing of ketosis!

FutureFitChick
01-10-2013, 11:23 AM
I am hoping that posting here this morning will get my brain going. I went to bed at 9 PM last night because I was super tired. Then I slept terribly and woke up with another headache. Uck! I keep fidgeting, switching tasks, being impatient with thinking computers, readjusting my chair, etc. Apparently I am really anxious...

I had an extra restricted snack again yesterday. For some reason I keep telling myself, it's OK to have it if I am hungry late. Not today!!! I've also got a deep-chested cough that started when I got to my office. Uh oh! I'm not getting sick again!!!

Breezy414, congratulations on the loss! Hang in there during that ucky first week!

Great job, Everyone on the losses!

usmcvet
01-10-2013, 11:28 AM
It's funny how something will remind you of someone, smells, sounds, expressions and sayings. Today on the way to work the sound of the directional reminded me of my grandmother. Grandma had a big blue Chevy with vinyl front seats. I would visit her and my father on vacations. I remember the noise the directional made. I've commented on it many times, it is a very vivid memory, I can see myself sitting in the front seat of her car, no seat belt, and I just remember it being a wonderful time. No idea where we were going and what we were doing. I turned the radio off and put the directional on again as I turned off the interstate because I just wanted to hear that noise some more. It was muffled and not as loud, I am sure it is much the same sensor but it's now buried deeper in the dash and covered with much more padding. I just wanted to share this with you. I love you Grandma and I miss you.

Chloe222
01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
STARSEEKER welcome!!!
NOLACHICK I keep that pic on my iphone and look at it every day. I also took the pic of the 5lb of fat. When I get frustrated I just look at those pics and I am so motivated!

Well very rainy icky day in Baton Rouge today....the sky was scary. It went from orange to yellow, then to grey/green then black. I am seeing animals lining up 2 by 2! Praying that our home doesn't flood with the close to 10 inches of rain. NOLA stay safe!

That pic of fat is great - helps keep things in perspective. I also think of hte 5 lbs of sugar and that at 142 (my low wt last summer), I had lost 8 of those. In my mind, I just pile them up and the sheer volume of that just has me in awe...how did I let myself get so fat and not really see the magnitude of that. Scary. Didn't realize that LA was in imminent danger of flooding, fingers crossed for you that flood waters don't appear.

Ok so WI last night down 2lbs and 4 in. Not too bad was hoping for more my scale seems more friendly.

That's great. I know we all hope for more because we just want this fat gone and phase 1 over. But the time spent here is important in retraining us to eat better and understand our bodies better. (LOL! Mature of me, eh?)

I am on day 3 and its been rough with the 'blah' feeling..I told myself I would not step on the scale until my WI next Tuesday. Well, I gave in this morning and am down 6lbs! I will go by the clinic's scale, but this was just the little motivational push I needed...AND...I used a ketone strip this morning and appear to be in the swing of ketosis!
Congrats on that loss! Know it won't keep up like that, but early on, it's pretty motivating!

mooselover
01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone has heard of ChocoPerfection bars? Are they allowed on IP?
It is that TOM and I'm craving chocolate!!!! Chocolate shake for breakfast it was!!! Determined to stay IP :)

They are not on the list, so they are not allowed :)

But they are wonderful!!! I have them in maintenance occasionally as they are very expensive.

dawnwhite58
01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Good Morning everyone!

I love this! A good reminder that every pound counts.

ragdoll74
01-10-2013, 11:52 AM
RareBird- Thanks, that is really sweet of you to say.

I checked the sheet yesterday too because of that post about the rutabagas. They are not restricted, but they have 11g carbs per cup. It's probably not something that you would want to eat 4 cups of in a day. I like cooking them with my roasts, and then eat the leftovers for several days in a row. I'm only eating 1 cup worth though, and adding other veggies.

dawnwhite58
01-10-2013, 11:54 AM

I have to ask, what is a ketone strip?

ragdoll74
01-10-2013, 11:55 AM
It's funny how something will remind you of someone, smells, sounds, expressions and sayings. Today on the way to work the sound of the directional reminded me of my grandmother. Grandma had a big blue Chevy with vinyl front seats. I would visit her and my father on vacations. I remember the noise the directional made. I've commented on it many times, it is a very vivid memory, I can see myself sitting in the front seat of her car, no seat belt, and I just remember it being a wonderful time. No idea where we were going and what we were doing. I turned the radio off and put the directional on again as I turned off the interstate because I just wanted to hear that noise some more. It was muffled and not as loud, I am sure it is much the same sensor but it's now buried deeper in the dash and covered with much more padding. I just wanted to share this with you. I love you Grandma and I miss you.

Your story made me smile.

Breezy414
01-10-2013, 11:59 AM

I bought them at Walgreens, but you can get them at any drug store. They are urine test strips that measure the amount of ketones your body is excreting (ketosis). Its a good motivator :)

evepet
01-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Good Morning everyone!

STARSEEKER welcome!!!

I kept pictures of 1 lb of fat which was placed beside a coffee mug, showing that it's about the same size; as well as a picture of 5 lbs of fat shown beside a bunch of bricks, showing that it's the same weight, on my fridge all through my dieting process last year. Once I hit the -50 lbs I took the 5 lb picture away but still have 1 lb/coffee mug picture there as a constant reminder.

Good (late)morning everyone! I still haven't figured how to reply to more than one person in a post (even though I read the tip), SOOO...

StarSeeker Welcome and good luck! There's no reason not to be successful with all the help and support here.

Ragdoll74 Belated Happy Birthday! You always seem to find the time to reply to posts that don't generally get noticed and you're such a help. I really appreciate your comments.

Nitney72 and Chloe222 Congrats on the losses!

Nolawhodatchick Thanks for putting "one pound" into perspective. The images I used to store in my head were a pound of butter, or 5 pounds of sugar, and those were encouraging too.

I think it was on this thread yesterday (but it's getting hard to keep track of what I read where), that someone said rutabagas were on the restricted vegetables list (so twice a week), but the handout I have says they are select and so are allowed each day. Does anyone know which is correct?

Also, I know people juggle allowed items in a day (like some animal protein at lunch instead of all at night). What about juggling items within the week? What I mean is, does it matter if I have an allowed portion of tomatoes twice a week, or if I have 3 or 4 grape tomatoes daily in a salad? Does that work, or if eaten daily do they affect glycemic load?

I know that I checked the info re rutabagas and turnips yesterday, in response to nolawhodatchick's question. My sheet shows rutabagas as part of the Occasional group. As to your second question re spreading the Occasional veg allottment over more than the 2 days allowed - not sure about that - I always just use it on those 2 days. Maybe someone else will respond.

I just took the time to google the ChocoPerfection bar, and found this one at lowcarbcanada.com... not sure if it's the one you're thinking of? If so, I wouldn't recommend it as an alternative.

ChocoPerfection - Dark Almond European Chocolate

Nutrition Facts: per 1 Bar (50 g) Calories 210 Fat 12g Saturated Fat 10g TransFat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 10mg Carbohydrate 16g Fiber 13g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohol 8g Protein 4g

IMO far too high in fat and calories to be a good alternative to the IP protein bars, which have a range between 3-7g/bar. Protein is also waaay too low, as most IP bars have 15g/bar.
FYI, here's a like to a spreadsheet that shows the nutritional values of many of the IP food items - handy to use for comparison if/when you're contemplating a product to use as an alternative.
http://diettalktoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Nutritional-Fact-Sheet2.pdf

Shedit
01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Traveling for the holidays, missed 3 weigh ins...been very sick for the past 5 days...Lost 8 pounds over the 3 week period. IP is amazing! The inches are melting away too. Thank y'all for all of the encouragement and cheering on that you do! Jan

scorbett1103
01-10-2013, 12:05 PM

Nope not allowed on IP.

If it wouldn't qualify as an IP packet (12-18g protein, under 200 calories, less than 30% calories from fat, less than 20 net carbs), or isn't on your Protocol sheet, it has to be 0 fat, 0 carbs, and 0 sugars. Every flavor of those bars I saw had at least 17g fat, and NONE of them had enough protein to count as a packet.

evepet
01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
RareBird- Thanks, that is really sweet of you to say.

I checked the sheet yesterday too because of that post about the rutabagas. They are not restricted, but they have 11g carbs per cup. It's probably not something that you would want to eat 4 cups of in a day. I like cooking them with my roasts, and then eat the leftovers for several days in a row. I'm only eating 1 cup worth though, and adding other veggies.

Maybe I have an outdated sheet? Sorry if I mislead anyone, as on my sheet it's listed as an Occasional. Like you, I generally just use it (or turnip for that matter) when I'm cooking pork loin chops or roasts, then I like to put them in with it. I'd find it difficult to eat more than 1 cup at a time too. Plus, they're pretty carbie.

Alma4343
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM

When I took a quick look at the nutritional information (if these are the right bars: http://chocoperfection.com/) They only have between 0 and 4 grams of protein. That is really low. Most IP stuff has 12 or more grams of protein. So, I personally would not use them.

Good luck.

scorbett1103
01-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Maybe I have an outdated sheet? Sorry if I mislead anyone, as on my sheet it's listed as an Occasional. Like you, I generally just use it (or turnip for that matter) when I'm cooking pork loin chops or roasts, then I like to put them in with it. I'd find it difficult to eat more than 1 cup at a time too. Plus, they're pretty carbie.

This was actually a head-scratcher from another thread. On the protocol sheet that is posted in the Newbie thread (from June 2012), rutabaga is listed as a Selected veggie. BUUUUT Swede is listed as an Occasional veggie. Rutabaga and Swede are the same thing, literally. A rutabaga is a Swedish (or Swede) turnip.

I think this is one where you just have to use your own judgement. If you find that it doesn't affect your losses to have them often, go for it. If you find you're sensitive to the higher carbs, use them as an occasional.

Alma4343
01-10-2013, 12:11 PM

That is great. Weighing in at night usually has me up about 3 lbs from my home scale weigh ins in the mornings.

Good Morning everyone!

Thanks for the picture. That is a great reminder

That is a great idea. I have been craving tacos. I will have to try doing something like this.

Good morning!

I'm sitting here annoyed and a little weepy- payed tuition bill for the classes my HS senior is taking online from Syracuse University as he prepares to go off to school this August. I'm not ready for this.

On a diet note- I'm down 3 pounds since last Thursday!! I am 100% OP an ready to get to phase 2 (thinking by the end of February) and start exercising and toning up my arse.

Wooo hooo 3 lbs! Great job. :carrot::carrot::carrot:

I am new to IP. I LOVE this plan. My husband is doing it with me! Whoo hoo for us! I have about 30 to lose, he has about 50. We started Monday and so far, so good with one bout of fatigue last night on my part and 2 bouts of nausea on his part that we rectified with an additional shake.

Can't wait to weigh in on Monday! This looks like a great place to share and find motivating tips!

Welcome aboard. It is great your husband is doing it too. My mother and father did IP together and both lost about 40 lbs in 3 months. It is great to have a partner.

I have not posted much lately. It seems like there are so many posts by the time I log in. It is great to see all the awesome loses and all the new faces. I hope everyone has a great OP week!

evepet
01-10-2013, 12:12 PM
This was actually a head-scratcher from another thread. On the protocol sheet that is posted in the Newbie thread (from June 2012), rutabaga is listed as a Selected veggie. BUUUUT Swede is listed as an Occasional veggie. Rutabaga and Swede are the same thing, literally. A rutabaga is a Swedish (or Swede) turnip.

I think this is one where you just have to use your own judgement. If you find that it doesn't affect your losses to have them often, go for it. If you find you're sensitive to the higher carbs, use them as an occasional.

Thx scorbett - I only eat about 1 cup of them twice a week anyway, but I'd hate to accidentally mislead someone else.

Breezy414
01-10-2013, 12:14 PM

I started on 1/8/13 for the first time and this is what my sheet says too.

lisa32989
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
LOL
My crazy wii fit told me last nite I weighed 185.2 and this morning it said 178.4. I was pretty sure I hadn't entered onderland and COMPLETELY SKIPPED the 190s! (and then lost 6.8 lbs overnite!). Tonite I'm moving it to another room with a hard floor, instead of carpet.

So, my (MUCH MORE REALISTIC) WI today: - 4.2, which is pretty in-line with my typical weight losses over a 2+week period (this was 17 days). Best yet...a whopping 5". Inches have been slower to come off from measured areas for me so this feels like a whoosh! :dancer:

NSV: I have NEVER EVER in my life returned from vacation SMALLER than I left! Vacation was always a sure weight GAIN!

Nolawhodatchick
01-10-2013, 12:24 PM

I just researched it a bit more, and it appears that rutabaga was moved from the "Occasional" list to the "Select" list in a 2011 mid-year revision to the Phase 1 sheet. It looks like there are still several internet copies of and links to the older Phase 1 sheet floating around, hence the confusion. I also was looking at an old copy where it was listed as "occassional" but I thought I had read here it was technically unrestricted, although many folks still said they would only do it occasionally because of the carb count. If you follow the current updated Phase 1 sheet, though, is indeed a select (up to 4 cups daily allowed) veggie.

IdealProteinNewbie
01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
LOL
My crazy wii fit told me last nite I weighed 185.2 and this morning it said 178.4. I was pretty sure I hadn't entered onderland and COMPLETELY SKIPPED the 190s! (and then lost 6.8 lbs overnite!). Tonite I'm moving it to another room with a hard floor, instead of carpet.

So, my (MUCH MORE REALISTIC) WI today: - 4.2, which is pretty in-line with my typical weight losses over a 2+week period (this was 17 days). Best yet...a whopping 5". Inches have been slower to come off from measured areas for me so this feels like a whoosh! :dancer:

NSV: I have NEVER EVER in my life returned from vacation SMALLER than I left! Vacation was always a sure weight GAIN!

Great job!!!

evepet
01-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I just researched it a bit more, and it appears that rutabaga was moved from the "Occasional" list to the "Select" list in a 2011 mid-year revision to the Phase 1 sheet. It looks like there are still several internet copies of and links to the older Phase 1 sheet floating around, hence the confusion. I also was looking at an old copy where it was listed as "occassional" but I thought I had read here it was technically unrestricted, although many folks still said they would only do it occasionally because of the carb count. If you follow the current updated Phase 1 sheet, though, is indeed a select (up to 4 cups daily allowed) veggie.

Thanks Nolawhodatchick. :)

sahmmommy2
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Nolawhodatchick - Awesome reminder of just how much fat is in a pound!

RareBird - To quote multiple people, click on the double quote icon in the lower right hand corner of each person's quote. It should turn red. When you're all done selecting people's quotes, hit the main post reply button and that should do it for you.

Breezy414 - Hang in there. When I first started, I told myself I would give it 100% for a month and see what happened. That was October, and I haven't looked back. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined being this close to my goal this fast. YOU CAN DO IT! Oh, and stay away from the Ketone strips, they are VERY innacurate. A lot of times, they give false negatives on this diet due to the large amounts of water we drink. They will drive you crazy. Just follow the sheet and don't stress!

Lisa - AWESOME LOSS! You are rocking this diet! I LOVE your NSV too. Who can say they came back from vacation smaller....LISA CAN!

Bellamack
01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Good Day Peeps,

A nice break in upstate NY today, a little warmer and a little sunshine. I will take it!

Love that visual "fat", I will have to print one out. Have a wonderful day :)

bubbleblower
01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Happy Thursday, everyone! I've been thinking today about the fact that (theoretically, at least) I'm about halfway along on my weight loss. That said, my WI numbers yesterday still show that I have a long way to go, IMO, in regard to fat percentage. Although it's come down a bit, it's not even close to where I'd like it to be. For those of you who have tracked your fat percentage as well as your weight loss, did they both come down at about the same rate? I'm wondering whether I'll suddenly start losing more fat, or if perhaps I have my weight goal too high ... Or if I just need to start exercising.

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

lisa32989
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Rutabaga is on the select list (June 2012) but swede is on occasional. THAT is the head-scratcher b/c they are the SAME THING! I'm emailing my coach on this one.

Nolawhodatchick
01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Rutabaga is on the select list (June 2012) but swede is on occasional. THAT is the head-scratcher b/c they are the SAME THING! I'm emailing my coach on this one.

I suppose if you like them, then call them a rutabaga and eat them. If you are concerned, however, about the carbs, or don't like them, then call the a Swede and stay away! lol Let us know what she says.

lisa32989
01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Happy Thursday, everyone! I've been thinking today about the fact that (theoretically, at least) I'm about halfway along on my weight loss. That said, my WI numbers yesterday still show that I have a long way to go, IMO, in regard to fat percentage. Although it's come down a bit, it's not even close to where I'd like it to be. For those of you who have tracked your fat percentage as well as your weight loss, did they both come down at about the same rate? I'm wondering whether I'll suddenly start losing more fat, or if perhaps I have my weight goal too high ... Or if I just need to start exercising.
Get in your walks or other gentle exercise. Trust the protocol. Fat % will change more in maintenance when you can increase the power of workouts & build muscle. Baby steps!

I suppose if you like them, then call them a rutabaga and eat them. If you are concerned, however, about the carbs, or don't like them, then call the a Swede and stay away!
:rofl:

I know one person called them a good motivator but I'd like to warn you. If you're drinking all of your water, ketones register very lightly (or not at all) and many IPers find them MORE frustrating than helpful b/c they think they're not in ketosis when they are! We flush a lot of ketones b/c of all the water we drink and they don't register on the strips.
If you follow the sheet 100%, you don't need strips. You'll be in ketosis and your weekly weigh-ins will tell the story :)

Bellamack
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM

Because we don't exercise vigorously, your fat will be a little behind and remeber too (don't get mad at me) the way that fat is measured is very inaccurate, the only "true" fat measurement is with H20 submersion. I know people who are very fit at 150 lbs and others who are "fatty", so don't lose sleep over the "fat %"

ragdoll74
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM

The fat percentage on those body composition scales are not 100% accurate, so keep that in mind when you see large swings in %body fat.

I suppose if you like them, then call them a rutabaga and eat them. If you are concerned, however, about the carbs, or don't like them, then call the a Swede and stay away! lol Let us know what she says.

:)

Unwaver1ng
01-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Happy Thursday,

I am pretending sensory deprivation today. Everyone around me is feasting on pasta and garlic bread. Decent leftover Jicama Skillet for me, but I an unreasonably annoyed with the food around me.

Does anyone see a counselor or therapist aside from their coach? I know it is a personal question so feel free to message me privately if this is something we can connect about.

Stay strong and enjoy your day!

~Jenni

Suzali
01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Good morning!

Awe, I know how you feel, my youngest started college in the fall and is about 5 hours away from home. I cried the summer before he left, I cried when I dropped him off, I cried when he left again after Thanksgiving but after realizing how happy he is at school and how much he has grown, I had to tell myself to be happy for his success. Yes, I miss him, but knowing he's doing well and loves it makes it worth it.

On another note, I'm new to the plan too and love it! I'm no Day 10 and haven't weighed in yet. I can't wait to see how I do. I've heard it's much easier when you have a partner to go through it with. I'm lucky and have a few co-workers who are on the plan. We pull eachother through. I also love this forum. So much support and inspiration! Keep up the good work!

sneuse
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Similar to what everyone else said, I'm not sure body fat percentage is the best indicator (though prior to the diet I would've said the exact opposite!)

When I did the diet for three months last year, I lost 30lbs and at the end was 130lb (at 5'8.5") My body fat at that point was just below 26%. I wasn't thrilled as I'd set my goal at 21% BF, but I had a big vacation to go on and honestly, 130lb looked and felt pretty good so I stopped there. Sure I still had a little fat on my arms, thighs, butt, and def. in my stomach area; but I was constantly being told I looked very thin and in shape and that I shouldn't lose anymore weight.

Now I'm on a reboot as I've gained about 10 lbs and because I was determined to get down to 21% BF. But as time goes on, I'm questioning if I should be so concerned with that percentage. Yes it'd be nice, but if I feel good, and look good, (and if I can get some of this pesky belly fat off!) I think I can achieve that body fat percentage later through muscle building.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I would trust your instincts. If you get to a weight (in lbs) that you feel good at, and look good at, but you still aren't as low in BF as you'd like I wouldn't stress. Like others have mentioned, if you start working with weights in maintenance you'll bring that number down.

NinjaNurse
01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Congrats to all the weight loss today!! Great job everyone!!

Rutabaga: I was eating it a lot because I am determined to make a perfect fry/chip. It has not affected my weight loss. I do agree that your body can be more sensitive to some carbs than others. I was ok potatoes, tolerate pasta, but could not do rice at all when I was on a diabetic diet years ago.

I just spent 2hrs of unplanned prepping this morning. I went grocery shopping and I guess bought way more meat/seafood than I thought. But I have most of it portioned out for me and some set aside for all of us. Marinated Pork Roast on Sunday. Maybe I'll through it into the crock pot with some rutabaga. (DH and DD love it too!)

ragdoll74
01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Just had someone else at work ask me if I'm losing weight. He said I'm shrinking before his eyes. So I replied, yes I have and then you could see the panic when he asked if it was intentional.

After I reassured him it was intentional he asked me how many lbs and I gave my standard reply of " a lot", he said no really give me some idea of how many lbs. What the heck!

I'm not sure what is wrong with the men I work with. At least this one didnt ask how many tons I've lost like the last one.

Unwaver1ng
01-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Just had someone else at work ask me if I'm losing weight. He said I'm shrinking before his eyes. So I replied, yes I have and then you could see the panic when he asked if it was intentional.

After I reassured him it was intentional he asked me how many lbs and I gave my standard reply of " a lot", he said no really give me some idea of how many lbs. What the heck!

I'm not sure what is wrong with the men I work with. At least this one didnt ask how many tons I've lost like the last one.

I get that a lot, from men and women! Just yesterday, in front of lots and lots of people I don't know, someone asked how much weight I've lost. I told her I don't know :)

IdealProteinNewbie
01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
I will never understand it either. Happens to me all the time.

Chloe222
01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Nutrition Facts: per 1 Bar (50 g) Calories 210 Fat 12g Saturated Fat 10g TransFat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 10mg Carbohydrate 16g Fiber 13g Sugar 1g Sugar Alcohol 8g Protein 4g

IMO far too high in fat and calories to be a good alternative to the IP protein bars, which have a range between 3-7g/bar. Protein is also waaay too low, as most IP bars have 15g/bar.
FYI, here's a like to a spreadsheet that shows the nutritional values of many of the IP food items - handy to use for comparison if/when you're contemplating a product to use as an alternative.
http://diettalktoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Nutritional-Fact-Sheet2.pdf
Evepet, Scorbett, all,
Take a look at the total carbs and then at fiber, sugars, and the numbers don't seem to add up correctly...should overall carbs be higher?http://www.chocoperfection.com/images-chocoPerfectionBars/CP_NutritionCharts2.jpg

bubbleblower
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Get in your walks or other gentle exercise. Trust the protocol. Fat % will change more in maintenance when you can increase the power of workouts & build muscle. Baby steps!

Because we don't exercise vigorously, your fat will be a little behind and remember too (don't get mad at me) the way that fat is measured is very inaccurate, the only "true" fat measurement is with H20 submersion. I know people who are very fit at 150 lbs and others who are "fatty", so don't lose sleep over the "fat %"

The fat percentage on those body composition scales are not 100% accurate, so keep that in mind when you see large swings in %body fat.

Similar to what everyone else said, I'm not sure body fat percentage is the best indicator (though prior to the diet I would've said the exact opposite!)

When I did the diet for three months last year, I lost 30lbs and at the end was 130lb (at 5'8.5") My body fat at that point was just below 26%. I wasn't thrilled as I'd set my goal at 21% BF, but I had a big vacation to go on and honestly, 130lb looked and felt pretty good so I stopped there. Sure I still had a little fat on my arms, thighs, butt, and def. in my stomach area; but I was constantly being told I looked very thin and in shape and that I shouldn't lose anymore weight.

Now I'm on a reboot as I've gained about 10 lbs and because I was determined to get down to 21% BF. But as time goes on, I'm questioning if I should be so concerned with that percentage. Yes it'd be nice, but if I feel good, and look good, (and if I can get some of this pesky belly fat off!) I think I can achieve that body fat percentage later through muscle building.

I don't know if that helps at all, but I would trust your instincts. If you get to a weight (in lbs) that you feel good at, and look good at, but you still aren't as low in BF as you'd like I wouldn't stress. Like others have mentioned, if you start working with weights in maintenance you'll bring that number down.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I actually had never used a scale that determined the fat percentage, so all of this is new to me. But yes, I had heard they were not terribly accurate - which is why I never bought one myself! Not sure why I forgot that and was suddenly taking that number as gospel! And yes, I'd imagine the bigger differences will come as I start adding in more exercise anyway.

It's been many years (like 20!) since I was at my goal weight, so I'll just wait and see how I feel this time around when I finally get there. :) (My body in general has a few more years on it now. :lol:)

byugrl
01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Good Afternoon !!

Ugggg It is sooooo nasty out ! Had to get up extra early to get my errands done before the rain started. WI today I loss 1 pound. It's a loss :) I'll take it. Hope everyone is having a great day !

WyoGirl82
01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know if the Chicken Ala King is a restricted item? I can't find it on my list. Thanks in advance!!

dawnwhite58
01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
I know one person called them a good motivator but I'd like to warn you. If you're drinking all of your water, ketones register very lightly (or not at all) and many IPers find them MORE frustrating than helpful b/c they think they're not in ketosis when they are! We flush a lot of ketones b/c of all the water we drink and they don't register on the strips.
If you follow the sheet 100%, you don't need strips. You'll be in ketosis and your weekly weigh-ins will tell the story :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I may try them for fun but, now I won't get frustrated if I don't register high.

Suchawittygal
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I bought them at Walgreens, but you can get them at any drug store. They are urine test strips that measure the amount of ketones your body is excreting (ketosis). Its a good motivator :)

But just remember, that if you are drinking a lot of water during the day, the strip may not register ketones. I found this out the hard way...I was beating myself up for staying OP and not being in Ketosis, then someone on here told me this. I finally just stopped using them.

De11s
01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Chicken a la King is not restricted according to my list, I think it is very tasty.

sstw1
01-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Good Morning everyone!

GREAT visual - thanks for a reminder!!!

Lose2Win
01-10-2013, 03:51 PM
My coach surprised me with my before picture today....WHOA!! I really did not know I had changed that much....I mean yes, you can feel it in several ways, clothes, etc., but wow, that was some great motivation to push on through the second half of this weight loss journey. I missed weigh in last week bc of our 8 days in Vegas. I stayed OP perfectly through everyone else eating everything from fast food to buffets to gourmet restaurants to room service. Definitely my hardest challenge so far. But, my loss this week was 5 pounds and half an inch...I'll take it. I weighed in at exactly 200 pounds, so I'll be more than ecstatic next week with any loss at all just to reach onederland....I want that soooo badly. Hope everyone is doing well....trying to catch up on reading all the successes...so proud of everyone....keep up the great work!! :carrot:

benice
01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know if the Chicken Ala King is a restricted item? I can't find it on my list. Thanks in advance!!

Not restricted. Not good either. :devil:

MSEMDEE
01-10-2013, 03:53 PM
So I joined my communities Biggest Loser Challenge and we had our inital weigh in last night.
It is showing 2.2 lbs more than my home scale.
I am doing IP without a coach so for the next 10 weeks I am going to use the BL weigh in as my official weigh in even if it is a bit higher than my home scale.
Best thing is I convinced the girl weighing me to take my measurements as well so that I can track those as well.
If nothing it should be consistent weights and measurements for the next 10 weeks.
Here's to getting that smokin' body of my own!!!!!

SweetShe
01-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Good Morning everyone!

Wow - that is actually inspiring - you can still think of it as a huge handful of fat...Thanks for posting that picture!!

ragdoll74
01-10-2013, 04:07 PM
I get that a lot, from men and women! Just yesterday, in front of lots and lots of people I don't know, someone asked how much weight I've lost. I told her I don't know :)

That made me laugh. I'll have to start telling people I don't know and I don't own a scale.

PamC
01-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm in week two and this diet has been pretty easy until today. Last week I had the flu all week so had no appetite and it was easy to stay on the diet. At the beginning of this week had no problem. But, now that I'm 100% healthy again, it's suddenly hard. I've been hungry all day and feeling a little foggy, lightheaded. If this keeps up I don't think I'm going to be able to stay on this diet. I hate the way I feel today. :( Am drinking plenty of water and 100% OP. Not sure what to think.

A1Texan
01-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Hello everyone....I'm just checking in. My head cold is still running like an open faucet. But at least the sun is shinning and I'm staying OP. Hope everyone is having a great day!

sahmmommy2
01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Ragdoll - Ahhh....Men, can't live with them, can't live without them....At least he noticed, some guys don't even do that (well, and some women too)!

Lose2Win - Onederland, here you come :dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer:

PamC - I too am coming off the flu and am feeling hungry this week. I'm sure it's just our bodies recovering from the sickness. I had a couple pickles this afternoon to calm down the hunger. And I'm chugging water like crazy since I probably only got the minimum requirements in this last week and I usually drink over 100oz/day. If you're feeling lightheaded, add some sea salt to your water and you should start to feel better.

maezy1
01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm in week two and this diet has been pretty easy until today. Last week I had the flu all week so had no appetite and it was easy to stay on the diet. At the beginning of this week had no problem. But, now that I'm 100% healthy again, it's suddenly hard. I've been hungry all day and feeling a little foggy, lightheaded. If this keeps up I don't think I'm going to be able to stay on this diet. I hate the way I feel today. :( Am drinking plenty of water and 100% OP. Not sure what to think.

Pam you might want to add another unrestricted packet/product during the day. Foggy and lightheaded are not fun side effects! Also, make sure that you have salad with every meal to keep you full. I go through periods where i am hungry and usually I find that I am not eating enough and need to make sure to add in a salad. Are you getting the salt in as well?

scorbett1103
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Chloe - if you look at the labels, that crazy high amount of dietary fiber comes from that "Oligofructose" which the label says is a "prebiotic fiber".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructooligosaccharide

Apparently it's been widely used in Asia for a while. It's a sweetener that acts like a fiber in the guts.

Sammie12
01-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Good afternoon everyone. What a great day had wi this am & down 3lbs for a total of 10% gone. I just wish my inches would go down quicker especially in my arms. Those buggers have been the same for weeks.

MyTime50
01-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Vet,
What a beautiful memory! I bet Grandma would be so proud of you, if she could see you now. But, I think in your heart, you know she can! :)

rofl306
01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Hi everyone! I hope you are having a GREAT day!

I just wanted to mention about the different sheets, my sister lives three hours away and has a very different sheet from mine. Hers has no date. She was not allowed a great deal of veggies including rutabaga and red, yellow and orange peppers and was not allowed restricted for the first three weeks. Overall, we lost the same amount of weigh over the same period of time. My sheet is the same as posted in the stickies.

jmuroff1
01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
I had 8 oz of steamed asparagus today...how many cups is that?:?:

PamC
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks, I will try adding more salt. Probably is my body adjusting to being healthy and I usually eat a lot more! :)

Chloe222
01-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Sounds like you are getting into ketosis...were you antibiotics recently?

Scorbett, Thanks! Will look into that carefully.

Tigerlvr52
01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Got my blood work back from my first appointment for the baby. All my stuff was super normal and I already passed my first Gestational Diabetes test. I have been eating phase 2/3 ish and feeling so much better. I am able to make good choices and choose really fresh foods and not be tempted by bad foods. I am glad that my dr gave me encouragement to take carb count still seriously during this pregnancy. It's great to see everyone do so well still OP. Have a wonderful day everyone.

yogacoffeelady
01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
POLL:
How much water do you (honestly) drink a day?
Do you drink Crystal Light and does it affect your progress?

tia

Bellamack
01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Got my blood work back from my first appointment for the baby. All my stuff was super normal and I already passed my first Gestational Diabetes test. I have been eating phase 2/3 ish and feeling so much better. I am able to make good choices and choose really fresh foods and not be tempted by bad foods. I am glad that my dr gave me encouragement to take carb count still seriously during this pregnancy. It's great to see everyone do so well still OP. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Congrats to you, you must be so very excited!

Bellamack
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
For the people asking about the ketostix, if you must use them, use your first morning urine, it will be a little more concentrated.

8 oz is a cup

MonicaKolesnik
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
POLL:

tia

I drink between 120oz on my low days and 200oz plus on my good water days, I do not drink crystal light or anything else in my water usually, occasionally MIO.

benice
01-10-2013, 05:54 PM
POLL:

tia

I drink 64-96 oz of straight water/day. I also drink a variety of other things: mint tea, occasionally a cup of coffee, occasionally a diet soda. If I'm not drinking water, I'm probably not drinking much of the other beverages either. So I can't make a water versus other beverages distinction, but if I don't get my fluids in, my progress definitely slows.

SeekUp Grasshopper
01-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Hello!

I started IP last Friday, 1/4. I was thinking of starting right before or after my foot surgery 12/19 and I am glad I waited. I have pins in 3 of my toes on my right foot and they will be there for a total of 6 weeks, during which time I'm keeping it elevated and walking with crutches (and going stir crazy! lol!). It was more of an ordeal than I was expecting so I am glad I waited to start.

The last time I weighed myself was the morning of surgery, and did not weigh again until yesterday (at that point day 5 of the diet) and I am down 10lbs. Yay!!

I have a question, can someone point me to ingredient information for IP products? Well actually wuv2bloved posted nutrtitional info sheets but I can't read them. I have a lot of trouble with gluten, and dairy and soy give me intestinal distress. So I am limiting my IP foods to gluten free, and was assured that although there's dairy ingredients, it's derived in such a way that it should not affect me. I'm thinking it is. Also maybe there's a chance that an item or 2 that they said was gluten free isn't, as I'm having other symptoms besides intestinal distress that I'd typically chalk up to gluten.

This seems like a wonderfully supportive forum! Hope everyone's having a great day. Thanks for your help :)

WyoGirl82
01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Not restricted. Not good either. :devil:

That's funny....I really like it. I add some cauliflower and broccoli and it's like pot pie filling. Anyway....thanks for the info. Much appreciated...

WyoGirl82
01-10-2013, 06:16 PM
POLL:

tia
The water is honestly the toughest part of the diet for me. I have to push myself to get in 64 oz. It's a real struggle. And I do drink crystal light here and there when I don't feel like I can stomach any more plain water. I'm going to really try and work on it and get at least 80 to 90 oz in a day.

mooselover
01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Chocoprefection bars are a CANDY BARS. Is is sugar-free, but it is NOT a protein food. I just don't want anyone confusing them for protein bars as alternatives.

benice
01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
That's funny....I really like it. I add some cauliflower and broccoli and it's like pot pie filling. Anyway....thanks for the info. Much appreciated...

I'll have to try that! We all love different things. I think I'm one of the few that like the soy patties! But if you fry them lightly in olive oil and coat them with Buffalo Sauce, they are DELISH on a spinach salad :)

Bella73123
01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
POLL:
How much water do yo
u (honestly) drink a day?

tia

I drink between 115 and 140 oz a day of water/tea day. Including no more than 2 caffeinated beverages. Occasionally that includes a beverage such as iced tea zero or pop sweetened with stevia. I am not a water drinker, I actually really dislike it, but find that if it is room temp I cfan drink it quickly and that helps. I have used Mio, but currently I am not as I found it spiked my cravings for sugar. At least 48oz of the water I consume is plain water. Fluids are extremely important because they flush the ketones fron your body before they can be used for fuel, which causes your body to burn more fat to create more fuel. I have my best losses when I keep my best water in the range above, but it isn't always easy!

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android

mquinn106
01-10-2013, 06:48 PM
POLL:

tia

I have a Camelbak water bottle that is constantly filled throughout the day. I probably drink about 120-160oz a day. I will sometimes have a seltzer water in addition. I have it easy in that I love water, I litterally crave ice cold water! :dizzy:

If you are having problems getting water in try flavoring it with lemon/lime, even ginger root or cinnamon. Also eating spicy food is a great way to down some water quickly :D

elvislover324
01-10-2013, 06:59 PM

I love that feeling. Makes our loved ones feel so close it's surreal. I enjoyed reading your post.

Suchawittygal
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM
POLL:

tia

If I'm LUCKY, I'll drink 64oz. a day. I used to drink over 120oz. a day with crystal light, but I wasn't losing as much weight as I liked, so this past week I've cut it out and found that I've lost more weight (not sure if this is the reason or not), but I also drink less water. I just find it very hard to drink water without any taste in it.

Hgamroth
01-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Contrats again! I had gestational diabetes with my first child and was able to control it with carb counting and I only gained 17 pounds with him. I hope you continue to have an amazing pregnancy and so proud of you for continuing your healthy eating. :hug::hug::hug:

EPAPRN
01-10-2013, 07:46 PM
I got my 1st shipment from Nashua Nutrition today. Excited to try them tomorrow. My coach told me last week that when I get to maintenance they give their dieters a list of alternative foods that we can use. And we get to buy 6 boxes of food per month in maintenance if we want.
Sneaky buggers!

Halfagain
01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
The water is honestly the toughest part of the diet for me. I have to push myself to get in 64 oz. It's a real struggle. And I do drink crystal light here and there when I don't feel like I can stomach any more plain water. I'm going to really try and work on it and get at least 80 to 90 oz in a day.

I'm right there with you WyoGirl. I do far better drinking water right before bedtime - which is not condusive to a good night's sleep! But sleep is overrated (I can see replies now - I know - I'm kidding - sleep is important but so is water!) Oh yah, Mio maybe once a month for me. No Crystal light. I do put lemon juice in maybe once a day... gives it some bite.

WyoGirl82
01-10-2013, 08:02 PM
So....to continue to with the water question....those of you that say "no crystal light" do you think it affects your progress or do you just not care for it? I like to break up the water with it once in a while but I have to admit, I feel like I'm cheating. My counselor said that it was fine...have you all got different information?

Halfagain
01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
So....to continue to with the water question....those of you that say "no crystal light" do you think it affects your progress or do you just not care for it? I like to break up the water with it once in a while but I have to admit, I feel like I'm cheating. My counselor said that it was fine...have you all got different information?

Some people are sensative to the aspartame in it. It can cause cravings (head hunger I start looking for carby sweet stuff though usually not realy hungry) for me, or it seems to. I just avoid aspartame all together.

Nolawhodatchick
01-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Lots of folks and coaches say no crystal light. Some also say its ok in moderation. I use it in moderation. I have stopped using it a few times for 3+ weeks at a time to see if it was impacting my losses, and I personally see no difference. So I decided for myself, it is ok to use sparingly. At first I used it almost daily because I was having trouble getting my water in and it helped. But now I only use maybe 1 day a week as most days I don't have trouble drinking all my water. I also tried MIO for a week...it was a very slow loss week (maybe coincidence) but I didn't like the taste.

BarbMomof3
01-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Hi everyone. I am on week 2 and doing very well. I have no reason to believe I am not in ketosis as I have not cheated at all.

I tend to get hungry mid morning and mid afternoon. I thought ketosis was supposed to make you not hungry anymore.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barb

rofl306
01-10-2013, 08:39 PM
POLL:

tia

I only count 80oz but often drink more. I sometimes have herbal tea but not everyday.

To get your water in, I recommend 2 glasses of water every time you eat. Breakfast, two snacks, lunch and supper. It helps with digestion especially if you are bloated from eating too much fibre.

maezy1
01-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Hi everyone. I am on week 2 and doing very well. I have no reason to believe I am not in ketosis as I have not cheated at all.

I tend to get hungry mid morning and mid afternoon. I thought ketosis was supposed to make you not hungry anymore.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barb
Hey Barb, I have been on IP since 10/1 and still have times when i get hungry during the day. I have lost 53 lbs so far. I use tea, water and egg whites (fried) to fill the void. I have figured out how to spread the food out to reduce the hunger more. Right now I think Im hungry becuz Im home healing from surgery and BORED stiff! Stick with it and it will get better and you will learn how to adjust your food so hopefully those hunger pangs will go away

maezy1
01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello!

I started IP last Friday, 1/4. I was thinking of starting right before or after my foot surgery 12/19 and I am glad I waited. I have pins in 3 of my toes on my right foot and they will be there for a total of 6 weeks, during which time I'm keeping it elevated and walking with crutches (and going stir crazy! lol!). It was more of an ordeal than I was expecting so I am glad I waited to start.

The last time I weighed myself was the morning of surgery, and did not weigh again until yesterday (at that point day 5 of the diet) and I am down 10lbs. Yay!!

I have a question, can someone point me to ingredient information for IP products? Well actually wuv2bloved posted nutrtitional info sheets but I can't read them. I have a lot of trouble with gluten, and dairy and soy give me intestinal distress. So I am limiting my IP foods to gluten free, and was assured that although there's dairy ingredients, it's derived in such a way that it should not affect me. I'm thinking it is. Also maybe there's a chance that an item or 2 that they said was gluten free isn't, as I'm having other symptoms besides intestinal distress that I'd typically chalk up to gluten.

This seems like a wonderfully supportive forum! Hope everyone's having a great day. Thanks for your help :)
We had surgery on the same day!!! Ive been IP for a few months but I know how you feel sitting around and healing. I am about to climb the walls!

Nolawhodatchick
01-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barb

Hi Barb-

Actually you have VERY GOOD reason to believe you are in ketosis, as you are on week two of the program and you haven't cheated. I think sometimes the hunger is there early on as the body is still trying to adjust, even in ketosis...at least it was that way for me. And I'm pretty sure I was in ketosis. The ketone medical strips sure said I was...and just to clarify, I don't advocate using ketone strips to figure out if you are in ketosis as they can give false negatives due to diluted urine from the water we drink. I only used them because I was monitoring for other medical issues and the medical strip measures 12 different medical signs including ketones. Basically, just trust the plan, not a stick. You are doing great, and hang in there, the hunger will pass. It takes a bit longer for the hungry feeling to pass for some folks than for others, I was one for whom it took longer. Remember you can eat two egg whites for "free" every day on the plan, they helped me greatly. And you can eat unlimited lettuce, it also helped. Plus sugar free gum helped me, though you might want to check with your coach on that as different coaches have different rules. Hope the hungry passes soon!

Bellamack
01-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Contrats again! I had gestational diabetes with my first child and was able to control it with carb counting and I only gained 17 pounds with him. I hope you continue to have an amazing pregnancy and so proud of you for continuing your healthy eating. :hug::hug::hug:

I had gestational diabetes too with my only child, it was hard to control, she weighed 11 lbs. She is now almost 29 yrs old. I have never had trouble with sugar after she was born.

BarbMomof3
01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement and advice. I had actually forgotten about the egg whites. Guess what I will be doing tomorrow?

Barb

scorbett1103
01-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Awesome!!! So glad that IP gave you solid ground to work from while you're growing that little person :)

Hello!

IF you go to www.plainprotein.com (they sell IP products), each product description includes a shot of the side nutrition panel, I believe in just about all of them you can see the ingredients list too.

I used Crystal Light a lot in the beginning - it was either make the water taste good, or not drink enough water. It never affected my losses. I cut way back, but more because my taste buds changed and I didn't need the strong flavors of the CL anymore.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barb

In looking at your stats, you have quite a bit to lose for your height - you may be feeling true hunger, not necessarily that you aren't in ketosis but just that your body needs more nourishment! One way to make sure it's really hunger and not thirst or "Mental" hunger, drink a big glass of water or hot tea. Wait 20 minutes or so. If the hunger feelings go away, it wasn't really hunger.

If you do find yourself dealing with TRUE hunger there are a few things you can do:
- use the unlimited lettuce to your advantage. When I have my hungry days, I eat 2 or 3 lettuce-only salads in between meals. Sometimes just chewing some food helps satiate me.
- You can have 2 egg whites per day as a "freebie" (nutritionally, 2 egg whites meets the 0 carb/0 fat/0 sugar rule for anything not on your sheet, and they don't add much in the way of calories). Add it to your breakfast, or make a small egg white omelet as a snack.
- If the hunger is consistent and nothing else works, try having one extra packet per day for a week. If things improve, you may just need the extra nutrition from a full packet.

LizRR
01-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey everyone, got a late start on the lurking - hope y'all had a great OP day! I've been crazy busy lately, time to catch up on my other favorite threads!

Stay OP today! Just remember that every day you stay 100%, that's one less day you have to wait to eat those delicious Phase 3 breakfasts!

Those Breakfasts are worth it!

Thanks. I may try them for fun but, now I won't get frustrated if I don't register high.

You should NEVER EVER register as "High" on those sticks - if you are that means you are not drinking enough water and your ketones aren't getting flushed. Stick with the sheet and don't worry about urinating all over your hands.

That's wonderful news Tigerlvr! I am so happy for you, I started this journey with baby #2 on the brain so it just warms my heart to hear how well things are going! I agree that IP really does help us learn to make healthy choices, for you and little Tiger.

NinjaNurse
01-10-2013, 10:27 PM

So glad everything is going well. I had GD and followed the diabetic diet of counting carbs. I lost weight, felt fabulous, and my daughter weighed 6.13oz 19 1/2inches long. Perfect.

Such an exciting time for you!!! Keep us posted!!

StarSeeker
01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
It made me smile too!

StarSeeker
01-10-2013, 11:47 PM
OK, not sure I posted my reply correctly, but love the story about the sound for the "directionals". I miss my grandmother too and there are little things that bring her back so vividly! Thanks for the smiles.

StarSeeker
01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
A few questions as I have heard differently from different people doing IP at diff. locations. 1) Some coaches say it is ok when hungry first few days to have an extra veggie between, others say no, drink a protein drink. I had Cauliflower Fried Rice today at 3pm as I was feeling a bit hypoglycemic. Not sure if i sabotaged and should have had a shake? Or a 1/2 of shake? 2) Can we have the 0 calorie 0 sugar 0 fat drink mix that is similar to crystal light but has no cals. Crystal light has 5 calories per serving, but I found a brand that has nothing. 3) Poland Springs Seltzer Water with 0 carbs, o sugar, etc. OK? 4) I had an extra cup of coffee tonight with skim milk (had one this am too). I drank an extra water, but it had the extra skim milk. Is this going to delay ketosis? I just finished day 4 today. Hope I am not screwing up here. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

scorbett1103
01-11-2013, 12:16 AM
A few questions as I have heard differently from different people doing IP at diff. locations. 1) Some coaches say it is ok when hungry first few days to have an extra veggie between, others say no, drink a protein drink. I had Cauliflower Fried Rice today at 3pm as I was feeling a bit hypoglycemic. Not sure if i sabotaged and should have had a shake? Or a 1/2 of shake? 2) Can we have the 0 calorie 0 sugar 0 fat drink mix that is similar to crystal light but has no cals. Crystal light has 5 calories per serving, but I found a brand that has nothing. 3) Poland Springs Seltzer Water with 0 carbs, o sugar, etc. OK? 4) I had an extra cup of coffee tonight with skim milk (had one this am too). I drank an extra water, but it had the extra skim milk. Is this going to delay ketosis? I just finished day 4 today. Hope I am not screwing up here. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

There are tools on plan to combat hunger:
-Lettuce is unlimited (Romaine, iceberg, boston/butter lettuce). Use and abuse it if you're hungry. On my hungry days I can eat 2 or 3 lettuce only salads easily.
- 2 egg whites can be eaten once per day as a "Freebie" - nutritionally they meet the 0/0/0 rule without many calories added. Sometimes adding them to the omelet mix, or making an egg white omelet snack can be just the boost you need.
- hot drinks - for some reason they seem to fill you up better than cold drinks.

Re: drink mixes, low versus no calorie doesn't matter nearly as much as whether it is 0 carbs 0 sugars 0 fats. The one thing to watch for is whether the mix is sweetened with aspartame, which can actually trigger cravings and are just all around bad for your body. Many people on here have used Crystal light, Mio, and other drinks/drink mixes with no issues.

RE: the extra milk. Realistically, doing that isn't going to tank all of your hard work so far. HOWEVER, when you start pushing the limits of the restrictions, it has a nasty way of leaving that door open for other "cheats" or "mistakes". Everyone has to find a way to make this diet tolerable for them, but I am of the mindset that there is a reason for why we can and can't do certain things, so my best effort means following the plan to a T. I love my coffee too, but I started using the Vanilla protein shake as my "creamer" as opposed to using milk once and then having to drink it black the rest of the day.

StarSeeker
01-11-2013, 12:25 AM
There are tools on plan to combat hunger:
-Lettuce is unlimited (Romaine, iceberg, boston/butter lettuce). Use and abuse it if you're hungry. On my hungry days I can eat 2 or 3 lettuce only salads easily.
- 2 egg whites can be eaten once per day as a "Freebie" - nutritionally they meet the 0/0/0 rule without many calories added. Sometimes adding them to the omelet mix, or making an egg white omelet snack can be just the boost you need.
- hot drinks - for some reason they seem to fill you up better than cold drinks.

Re: drink mixes, low versus no calorie doesn't matter nearly as much as whether it is 0 carbs 0 sugars 0 fats. The one thing to watch for is whether the mix is sweetened with aspartame, which can actually trigger cravings and are just all around bad for your body. Many people on here have used Crystal light, Mio, and other drinks/drink mixes with no issues.

RE: the extra milk. Realistically, doing that isn't going to tank all of your hard work so far. HOWEVER, when you start pushing the limits of the restrictions, it has a nasty way of leaving that door open for other "cheats" or "mistakes". Everyone has to find a way to make this diet tolerable for them, but I am of the mindset that there is a reason for why we can and can't do certain things, so my best effort means following the plan to a T. I love my coffee too, but I started using the Vanilla protein shake as my "creamer" as opposed to using milk once and then having to drink it black the rest of the day.

Ahhhhh Thanks for the great information. I have not had any cravings which is amazing. I had this odd slump today and couldn't concentrate to get my documenting done (I am an Hospice Nurse). It was amazing how the Cauliflower Fried Rice with the Crystal lite type drink 0/0/0 did the trick. Tonight we were having our snack (raspberry crunch bar) and I just wanted a cup of coffee with it so added the skim milk. I suppose I could have had it black just as well. I then downed extra water later per my coach's recommendation. I love this plan and look forward to my first WI. Thanks!

EPAPRN
01-11-2013, 05:34 AM

My clinic allows us to have the '4C' drinks - one serving per day, or one little packet per day. Those are sweetened with Splenda, so they are allowed (per my clinic). We are not allowed to have Crystal Light d/t the aspartame.

In the beginning, I used to fill a Nalgene water bottle with 1L of water and add one little packet, which would fulfill my sweet tooth for the day, although it was still dilute. I found that it didn't hurt my losses, but MIO did hurt my losses.

Now, I don't use it or feel that I need it to help me get the water in. Since it's been cold and wintry, I do mostly hot herbal tea during the day, like 3-4 large mugs of it in addition to room temperature bottled water.