General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #1  

Default Interesting! Pictures and info about what people eat and do around the world!

John McQuiston, a longtime operator of Lock and Dam 1 on the upper Mississippi River in Hastings, Minnesota. The lock and dam system is maintained by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and creates a navigable waterway for river vessels.
From the coverage for the What I Eat project, but not included in the book.

ONE DAY’S FOOD in JuneCALORIES 3,064BREAKFAST Banana (2), 13.1 oz • Grapes, 6 oz • Coffee (4) with Great Value half and half, 31.5 fl oz; and Splenda sweetener, 0.5 tsp

LUNCH Homemade chicken noodle soup with homegrown vegetables and homemade stock, 1.5 lb • Panera whole grain bread, 12.6 oz; with Great Value butter, 1.5 tbsp • Salad of mixed lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and red peppers, 7.1 oz; with Hidden Valley, The Original Ranch dressing, 2 tbsp; and Wish-Bone Western Sweet and Smooth dressing, 2 tbsp

DINNER De Wafelbakkers frozen buttermilk pancakes, 5.6 oz; with Great Value pancake and waffle syrup (5% real maple syrup), 1.2 oz; and butter, 1.5 tbsp • Milk, 1%, 11.4 fl oz

THROUGHOUT THE DAY Dr. Pepper (5), diet, 60 fl oz • Tap water, 7 fl oz

China, The Teenaged Acrobat
Name: Cao Xiaoli
Caloric value of food this day: 1700 calories

BREAKFAST: Yipin Xuan cake, 5.5 oz. Danone yogurt, kiwi, 3.5 oz. Apple, 7.2 oz.

LUNCH : Zha paigu (pork ribs, breaded and deep-fried), 2.8 oz., with rice flour noodles, 3.5 oz., and stir-fried cucumber, 5.4 oz. Tea egg (hard-boiled egg stewed in salted tea), 1.7 oz. Salty vegetable broth with green onion, 9.8 oz. White rice, 5.9 oz.

THROUGHOUT THE DAY: Uni-President bottled green tea, unsweetened, 16.9 fl. oz. Boiled water, 23.7 fl. oz.

Cao Xiaoli and the acrobatic troupe perform 7 nights a week. They live at the Shanghai Circus World complex, and eat in the employee cafeteria. On the weekends when she's not working, Cao Xiaoli's mother feeds her home cooking and fast food.

Namibia, The Pastoralist
Name: Viahondjera Musutua, a Himba tribeswoman
The caloric value of her food this day: 1500 calories*

FIRST MEAL OF THE DAY: Cornmeal porridge, 1.7 lb. with sour whole milk, 11.3 fl. oz.

SECOND MEAL: Cornmeal porridge, 1.8 lb. with sour whole milk, 11.3 fl. oz.

THROUGHOUT THE DAY: Sour whole milk, 26.3 fl. oz. Bird plums (not pictured as she ate what she had picked before the photo was taken), 3.5 oz. Water from nearby river, 12 fl. oz.

A Himba family's wealth is computed in cattle but family members seldom eat a cow or goat themselves, except on special occasions. Viahondjera Musutua's staple foods are milk she ferments herself, for preservation, and corn meal porridge.

* The authors used a typical recent day as a starting point for their interviews with 80 people in 30 countries. They specifically chose not to cover daily caloric averages, as they wanted to include some extreme examples of eating, like one woman's diet on a bingeing day or the small number of calories a herder in Kenya ate during extreme drought. The texts in the book provide the context for the photographs, detailing each person's diet, culture, and circumstance at the moment they were photographed: a snapshot in time. A complete methodology is available in the book.

Minnesota, USA, The Mall of America Staffer
Name: Tiffany Whitehead, student and part-time ride supervisor
Caloric value of food this day: 1900 calories

EARLY MEAL: Burger King Chicken Fries (breaded, fried chicken strips), 3.7 oz. Burger King french fries, 4.5 oz. Dr. Pepper, 15.7 fl. oz.

LATER MEAL: Taco Bell hard-shell tacos, ground beef (3), 10.3 oz., with Taco Bell Border Sauce, mild, 1.5 oz. Mountain Dew Baja Blast, 25.7 fl. oz.

SNACKS: Betty Crocker Scooby-Doo! snacks, fruit flavored, 2.6 oz. Stride Forever Fruit gum, 3 pieces. Ice to chew, 1.3 lb.

Tiffany Whitehead says that when she worked full-time, she would bring a healthier lunch from home, but at the time of her food portrait relied on fast food to sustain her on workdays.

Egypt, The Camel Broker
Name: Saleh Abdul Fadlallah
Caloric value of food this day: 3200 calories

BREAKFAST: Eggs (2), 3.8 oz., fried with butter, 1 tbsp., eaten with ful medames (fava beans cooked with garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and oil, not in picture*), 5.2 oz., and aish baladi (flat country bread), 8.6 oz. Fried potato chips, 1.3 oz. Tomatoes, 6.1 oz., with salt, 0.5 tsp. Feta cheese, 3.7 oz. Black tea, 3.8 fl. oz., with sugar, 1 tbsp. Boiled water, 7 fl. oz.

LUNCH: Goat meat broth with bone, 6.7 oz. Potato and tomato cooked with onion, garlic, cumin, Egyptian baharat (spice mixture), and oil, 6.7 oz. Soup of molokhiya (Jew's mallow), chicken stock, butter, garlic, and coriander, 4.5 oz. White rice, 7.5 oz. Black tea, 3.8 fl. oz., with sugar, 1 tbsp.

DINNER: Aish baladi, 8.6 oz. Feta cheese, 2.3 oz. White rice, 6.3 oz. Fried potato chips, 1.5 oz. Black tea, 4 fl. oz., with sugar, 1 tbsp. Boiled water, 7 fl. oz.

THROUGHOUT THE DAY: Black tea (6), 20 fl. oz., with sugar, 2.5 oz. Cleopatra king-size cigarettes, 1 pack

Although virtually all of the camels that Saleh Fadlallah sells at the camel market are sold for their meat, he rarely eats this meat himself as it's too expensive for everyday meals.

* The dish at the lower right, additional goat meat with broth, is a stand-in for the missing beans; it is not included in the calorie total.

Ecuador, The Mountain Farmer
Name: Maria Ermelinda Ayme Sichigalo
Caloric value of food this day: 3800 calories

BREAKFAST: Empanadas (fried turnovers) filled with cheese, 8.1 oz. Chapo (toasted barley and wheat flours, mixed with instant coffee, panela [hard brown sugar], and hot water), 7.5 oz. Panela mixed with hot water, 6.4 fl. oz.

LUNCH: Barley flour, added to water to make barley flour soup, 10.6 oz. Boiled potatoes with carrots and green beans, 1.4 lb.

DINNER: Salad of lettuce, potato, and carrot, 15.2 oz. Green plantain, 3.5 oz. Yellow plantain, 7.8 oz.

SNACKS AND OTHER: Roasted potatoes, 1.4 lb. Machica (toasted barley and wheat flours), added to hot water and eaten throughout the day, 4.6 oz. Water from a nearby spring, for cooking, 2.1 qt.

A subsistence farmer and mother of eight, Maria Ermelinda Ayme Sichigalo prepares all of the family's meals while kneeling on an earthen floor, cooking over an open fire of sticks and straw. The hard manual labor of farming and shepherding at an elevation above 11,000 feet, as well as cooking and caring for the children, requires a substantial number of calories. Her family doesn't eat the animals they raise — only sell them to buy what they don't grow or have on hand.

California, USA, The US Army Soldier
Name: Curtis Newcomer
Caloric value of food this day: 4000 calories

MESS HALL BREAKFAST: Corned beef hash, 2.2 oz. Scrambled egg, 3 oz. Bacon, 0.7 oz. Apple, 6 oz. Otis Spunkmeyer cookie, chocolate chip, 2.3 oz.

LUNCH MRE: (Meal, Ready-to-Eat) ham and shrimp jambalaya, 8 oz. (dry weight) MRE vegetable and cheese omelet, 8 oz. (dry weight) MRE shredded potatoes with bacon, 5 oz. (dry weight) MRE cinnamon scone, 2 oz. MRE toaster pastry, strawberry, 1.6 oz. MRE crackers, 1.3 oz. MRE Pangea World Bakers pound cake, vanilla, 2.5 oz. MRE dairy shake fortified with calcium and vitamin D, strawberry, powdered, 3.5 oz. (dry weight) MRE orange carbohydrate electrolyte beverage, powdered, 1.5 tbsp. (dry weight) MRE Crystal Light red tea, 0.5 tsp. (dry weight) MRE jam, blackberry, 2 tbsp. Frank's Red Hot pepper sauce, 1.5 tbsp.

MESS HALL DINNER: Shrimp scampi, 2.7 oz., with Parmesan cheese, 0.5 tsp., and Frank's Red Hot pepper sauce, 1.5 tbsp. White bread, 2.5 oz. Salad of lettuce and tomato, 2.4 oz. Peas, canned, 1.8 oz. Del Monte fruit cocktail, lite, 4 oz. Famous Amos cookies, chocolate chip, 2 oz.

THROUGHOUT THE DAY: Gatorade sports drink (3), 1.1 qt. Deja Blue bottled water (5), 2 gal. (also used to hydrate the drink powders and all MREs) Cigarettes (in sleeve pocket), 1 pack

Curtis Newcomer, photographed here at Fort Irwin, reported that he generally eats double MRE rations, but he's not gaining weight from them. When this food portrait was taken, he was preparing for his second deployment to Iraq.

California, USA, The Iraq War Veteran
Name: Felipe Adams
Caloric value of food this day: 2100 calories

BREAKFAST: Quaker instant oatmeal, maple and brown sugar flavored, 1.5 oz. (dry weight). Apple, 7.7 oz. Coffee, 2 fl. oz.

LUNCH AT PETITE SARA CAFÉ: Chicken sandwich: toasted wheat bread, 4 oz., grilled chicken breast, 6 oz., grilled onion, 2 oz., lettuce, 1.5 oz., mayonnaise, 2 tsp., mustard, 1 tsp., butter, 0.5 tsp. Fruit plate of cantaloupe, grapes, kiwi, orange, pineapple, plum, strawberries, and watermelon, 7.9 oz. Honest Ade drink, orange mango, 16.9 fl. oz.

DINNER: Chicken breast, 4.5 oz., with Tapatio hot sauce, 0.5 tsp. White rice, 4.9 oz. Salad of lettuce and tomato (tomato not in picture), 1.4 oz. Salt, sprinkled over everything, 0.5 tsp.

AT NIGHT BEFORE BED: Dannon Activa yogurt, vanilla, 4 oz. Prune juice, 6 fl. oz.

SNACKS AND OTHER: Doritos tortilla chips, nacho cheese flavored, 1 oz. Trident Minty Sweet Twist gum, 18 pieces. Kirkland Signature bottled water, 2.6 qt.

U.S. Army infantryman Felipe Adams was paralyzed from the waist down by a sniper's bullet at the beginning of his second tour in Baghdad. Because of the paralysis, Adams has had to learn to fuel his body differently. "I'm a big fan of steak," he says, "but it causes problems." Also, he no longer feels hunger the way he used to. "I just know that at certain times of day I've gotta eat."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...#ixzz1uO1kKckF
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5

very cool
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

This is really interesting. Thank you for sharing it!
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/199/160

Height: 5'8"

this was really neat to look over. i was surprised at some of the very skinny people eating something like 3000-4000 calories a day! I guess when you're super active like they are you need them!
Volschika007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #5  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Thanks for sharing! It was really interesting to see the thin people eating 3000-4000 calories a day. Pure fuel. It really makes me think about when I've eaten that much and it was usually at the least active times in my life. That's something I need to get straight in my head.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I wonder if the girl that chews on over a pound of ice a day (!!) has an iron deficiency? I remember reading somewhere that craving/chewing a lot of ice meant that...
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #7  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

OMG amazing article!! I too find it fascinating at the amount of calories people eat. It's also great to see what an average meal is around the world. Loved it. Thanks for posting !
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #8  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Wow, very interesting! Thanks for sharing!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/167/120

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for sharing this - very interesting.
@ Quiet Ballerina - I wondered the same about the girl eating ice - I craved/ate ice during my 2nd pregnancy, and I was iron deficient. Once I started iron supplementation, the cravings were gone!
sweetben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Very cool article! I've been to Ecuador and doing anything at some of those high elevations is a gagillion times harder, the calories are definitely necessary! Thanks for sharing
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetben View Post
Thanks for sharing this - very interesting.
@ Quiet Ballerina - I wondered the same about the girl eating ice - I craved/ate ice during my 2nd pregnancy, and I was iron deficient. Once I started iron supplementation, the cravings were gone!
Haha, I'm iron deficient and I chew ice all the time... The supplements haven't changed that yet, but I'm reeeally deficient.

She might just do it though so she doesn't crave more food because it doesn't seem like her options are very healthy.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 172/see ticker/135

Height: 5ft 3.5

Wow that was interesting, I want to see more! lol
want2bskine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 186/168/140

Height: 5'3

Very cool article to read. Thanks for sharing!
COchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

This is so cool! Thanks!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote