Ideal Protein Diet - Bra-Fitting Tips...

View Full Version : Bra-Fitting Tips...

New Englander
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
I gotta tell you my bras are not fitting right...and I imagine I'm in good company. A great fitting bra can make or break ab outfit. Below is a link from Oprah's website about this topic. Also, Nordstroms comes highly recommended for bra fittings. Just be careful not to spend the $100s on ONE BRA that they will try to sell you! :)

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Bra-Fitting-Tips

Aunrio
01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you ma'am. I think the bra I put on this morning was the opposite of an 18 hour bra. It became increasingly ill-fitting as the day continues.

Ishbel
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Just thought I'd point out that during my journey because I wasn't spending the money on a good bra....and getting one that "would just do me in the mean time"....I really screwed up my shoulder. I eventually got properly fitted at a lingere shop that came highly recommended by a friend that had breast cancer.

The first bra she gave me was a little small in the thorax but the cups were perfect. So she gave me a size larger. My shoulder instantly INSTANTLY felt 40% better. I hugged the lady and left with it on (threw the old one out in the store lol). She did tell me that if I lost more weight but the cups sizes 'would do' for now to bring it in and they would adjust it with a seamstress they had on contract...woot woot! :)

...did I spend a lot on the one I have now. Ummm...YEAH! lol Did I spend more on massages/physio/acupunture before I realized that maybe it was an ill-fitting bra....YEAH! :D

...just be aware that it's not only our clothes that people actually SEE that need to be changed.

Have a great day! :)

New Englander
01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Just thought I'd point out that during my journey because I wasn't spending the money on a good bra....and getting one that "would just do me in the mean time"....I really screwed up my shoulder. I eventually got properly fitted at a lingere shop that came highly recommended by a friend that had breast cancer.

The first bra she gave me was a little small in the thorax but the cups were perfect. So she gave me a size larger. My shoulder instantly INSTANTLY felt 40% better. I hugged the lady and left with it on (threw the old one out in the store lol). She did tell me that if I lost more weight but the cups sizes 'would do' for now to bring it in and they would adjust it with a seamstress they had on contract...woot woot! :)

...did I spend a lot on the one I have now. Ummm...YEAH! lol Did I spend more on massages/physio/acupunture before I realized that maybe it was an ill-fitting bra....YEAH! :D

...just be aware that it's not only our clothes that people actually SEE that need to be changed.

Have a great day! :)
You're so right. It's not only our clothes that need to be changed! Ugh...hopefully I can hold out on buying them until I get fitted properly when I reach goal...we'll see!!!

runningfromfat
01-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Hi, I just posted a blog post (http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com/2011/12/buying-bras-and-sports-bras-and.html) about bra buying tips while losing weight.

The biggest thing, though, is to remember that your underbust=band size (and measure tightly!!). Whatever you do DON'T add inches, otherwise you really could get quite a bit of back pain!! Also, make sure the center gore is flat against your chest and that your breasts are completely enclosed in the cups (basically no quadraboob or underarm fat!).

If you need help with fitting you can post your measurements here and I can suggest a size to start with (But nothing beats trying on bras in person) and also check out my bra fitting page (http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com/p/finding-bras-that-fit.html) for more help.

BTW, you DON'T need to spend $100 on a well-fitting bra. Check out places like brastop and ebay UK (They have international shipping and brastop sometimes has FREE international shipping and the prices are a lot lower!). Also, Ewa Michalak bras are very affordable and the shipping isn't too bad and those are probably the highest quality bras that I have ever seen! :D

New Englander
01-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi, I just posted a blog post (http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com/2011/12/buying-bras-and-sports-bras-and.html) about bra buying tips while losing weight.

The biggest thing, though, is to remember that your underbust=band size (and measure tightly!!). Whatever you do DON'T add inches, otherwise you really could get quite a bit of back pain!! Also, make sure the center gore is flat against your chest and that your breasts are completely enclosed in the cups (basically no quadraboob or underarm fat!).

If you need help with fitting you can post your measurements here and I can suggest a size to start with (But nothing beats trying on bras in person) and also check out my bra fitting page (http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com/p/finding-bras-that-fit.html) for more help.

BTW, you DON'T need to spend $100 on a well-fitting bra. Check out places like brastop and ebay UK (They have international shipping and brastop sometimes has FREE international shipping and the prices are a lot lower!). Also, Ewa Michalak bras are very affordable and the shipping isn't too bad and those are probably the highest quality bras that I have ever seen! :D
Hi runningfromfat,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Great tips and I haven't even read your blog yet! :) Thanks for the tips on where to buy bras! And I agree you don't have to spend $100s! :)

Edit: You just wrote the blog two days ago!!! Great minds think alike...or minds in need of a good fitting bra think alike! :)

DanafromAustin
01-23-2012, 10:16 PM
A very timely thread as I desperately need new bras. They were getting a little old before I started IP, but now they don't fit at all anymore. I just hate to spend the money before I'm at goal, but there is no way I can hold out much longer. I'm constantly tugging and pulling.

2Poles1Girl
01-23-2012, 11:08 PM
LOL, I spent $200+ on bras a couple weeks ago at Nordys Rack and boy-howdy do I look and feel better.

runningfromfat
01-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi runningfromfat,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Great tips and I haven't even read your blog yet! :) Thanks for the tips on where to buy bras! And I agree you don't have to spend $100s! :)

Edit: You just wrote the blog two days ago!!! Great minds think alike...or minds in need of a good fitting bra think alike! :)

I'm glad that my tips helped! :D

Ha, yeah, that blog has been in the works for awhile but I've been a bit lazy about taking some of the pictures for it and putting on the finish touches. I normally find myself giving out the same advice to everyone and wanted it all in one place. ;)

Oh, but I did just lose an inch on my underbust and really do need new bras, once again! Ahh!!!

kelly1962
01-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Does anyone from the Toronto area know of a good store that sells bras, as i have a very hard time finding bras for my size. I have a large cup size and the regular mall lingerie stores dont sell them. The only place i can get them is addition elle and penningtons, and i like to try bras on and not order online. I am currently a 38H but i know when i am done all the weight loss, i will never be a D cup or even a DD.

runningfromfat
01-24-2012, 09:18 AM
Does anyone from the Toronto area know of a good store that sells bras, as i have a very hard time finding bras for my size. I have a large cup size and the regular mall lingerie stores dont sell them. The only place i can get them is addition elle and penningtons, and i like to try bras on and not order online. I am currently a 38H but i know when i am done all the weight loss, i will never be a D cup or even a DD.

Have you heard of Butterfly bras (http://www.butterflybras.co.uk/)? I know they have a few locations (not sure where so you should check their site) but they also will do fittings via skype and they have people in a lot of major cities in Canada that will help with fitting advice.

runningfromfat
01-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Also, here's (http://curvycanadian.blogspot.com/2011/07/product-review-butterfly-collection.html) a review of the store and the online fitting... that blogger is from Toronto so you could always contact her too.

kelly1962
01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Awesome thanks so much for the tips! I will check them out.

runningfromfat
01-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Awesome thanks so much for the tips! I will check them out.

No problem! I hope you find something that fits! ;)

purple sky
03-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Wow...some great information. Definitely time for a new bra. I wanted to wait a bit but the time is now. Initially some ill-fitting bras started feeling better now they are just not working out too well. Thanks for the great tips and ideas.

Sewmam
03-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Very timely...underwire bras have always felt uncomfortable to me, so I got some cotton soft cup bras at Catherines, but now even their smallest size (42C) is too big. I keep falling out of it. I keep putting off going somewhere to get help because bras are so expensive, but the way I look now, I really need them! :)

pegv
03-02-2012, 10:16 AM
A couple of years ago, I had considered having a breast reduction to help with my back pain. The doctor asked me if I wore a bra at night and I said no, why? He said that all women should wear a night bra to keep the breasts from stretching. I bought a Rhonda Shear Ahh bra and have worn it every night since and love it. I used to sweat under my breasts and this bra helps!

Sum38
03-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Aww...love this... I started one thread and unfortunately, my pre historic dinosaur methods were chewed upon :)

What I have learned; I used to sell bras and fitted 1000's of women...per certain formula, which may work for some and be totally wrong for others.....so the thing I learned; don't let anyone bully you into thinking one way is better than other. Only YOU can judge, with all information, how to fit a bra.

So I went and did an experiment; I bought some bras that were measure the new way...and it did not work for me. I think it is my body type. I think my rib cage flares out (as runningfrom fat kindly asked me about) and I have to measure the old fashioned way. I don't need to add 5 inches, but I need to add atleast 3-4 ...that being said; someone else may have a totally different rib cage and they have to go by the exact measurement or even smaller, because of the build. I am doing my second part of the experiment today and feeling miserable ( I was told I need to get a 32 band at first; which left severe bruising; today I am wearing 34 and not liking it.... it hurts; cups feel good but band is killing me...)

Please follow the tips; how the band feels and fits, any pulling? any marks? does your bra ride? up etc....just because someone says you are "this particular size" does not mean it fits.

Use your own judgement with a help of bra experts. The key is try on and try on and try on many, MANY bras. You will find your soul mate at the end and it will be life happily ever after :D

runningfromfat
03-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Very timely...underwire bras have always felt uncomfortable to me, so I got some cotton soft cup bras at Catherines, but now even their smallest size (42C) is too big. I keep falling out of it. I keep putting off going somewhere to get help because bras are so expensive, but the way I look now, I really need them! :)

The best starting place is measuring your underbust (tightly!) to find your band size and then working on the cup size from there. I have a page here (http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com/p/finding-bras-that-fit.html) where it discusses bra fitting.

There certainly can be exceptions to the undebust=band size rule as Sum38 point out (I personally have to buy slightly smaller bands, for instance) but it's the best starting point. ;). That's why it's very important to understand what a well-fitting bra looks like and how it should feel (that's discussed on the page I linked to above). Understand too, though, that many bra fitters don't necessarily have the best knowledge when it comes to bra fitting so you can sometimes run into problems. Always go in knowing your measurements and have at least some idea what size would work for you. It'll save a lot of frustration in the long run!

If you have any questions let me know, I'm happy to help. :D

runningfromfat
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
A couple of years ago, I had considered having a breast reduction to help with my back pain. The doctor asked me if I wore a bra at night and I said no, why? He said that all women should wear a night bra to keep the breasts from stretching. I bought a Rhonda Shear Ahh bra and have worn it every night since and love it. I used to sweat under my breasts and this bra helps!

Are you wearing tight enough bands during the day too? I know for me that even if my bands are slightly loose I have almost immediate back pain.

I definitely agree with wearing bras at night! I'm still looking for a good soft cup bra for that very reason. ;)

runningfromfat
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow...some great information. Definitely time for a new bra. I wanted to wait a bit but the time is now. Initially some ill-fitting bras started feeling better now they are just not working out too well. Thanks for the great tips and ideas.

If you have any questions let me know! Good luck shopping! :D

purple sky
03-02-2012, 01:40 PM
If you have any questions let me know! Good luck shopping! :D

Wow, this is serious stuff. I did hear that Oprah always says you have to have a good bra but if never occured to me to spend that kind of money and I did not think I felt comfortable going into a store to ask women to size me. How do you even find these stores? I saw your tips for measurement and I want to make sure I am doing them correctly.

Underbust is 32.
But bust bending over and on back is like 40. Does that make sense?

I am so confused because I think I have like 36D or 40C and maybe 38C in my drawers.

runningfromfat
03-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Wow, this is serious stuff. I did hear that Oprah always says you have to have a good bra but if never occured to me to spend that kind of money and I did not think I felt comfortable going into a store to ask women to size me. How do you even find these stores? I saw your tips for measurement and I want to make sure I am doing them correctly.

Underbust is 32.
But bust bending over and on back is like 40. Does that make sense?

I am so confused because I think I have like 36D or 40C and maybe 38C in my drawers.

A 32G (in UK sizes, I'm not 100% sure what that is in US sizes) would be a good starting point for you. The reason you have all those different sizes is because the cup size depends on the band size. So, for instance, a cup on a 32G=34FF=36F=38E=40DD. Now you might be wondering why a 40C or 38C "fits" when I'm suggesting a larger cup size for you but that's because the band is too loose. For instance, I have bras that have too bands for me and they look like the cups fit on them but if I have DH pull the band tight in the back (like it should fit), I end up with quadraboob and the underwires cut into my breast tissue.

So long story short it's good to find your band measurement first. It's really important, though, that you try a large enough cup in your correct band, otherwise the band can feel tight, even when it's the correct size.

Personally, I have done all the fitting for myself because I live in a bra-desert (http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com/2012/02/living-in-bra-desert.html). ;) So I started with my measurements and then kept trying on new bras while I narrowed in on my size. Sometimes fitters don't even understand proper sizing/fit so it's good to go in having a guess at your size and knowing what a well-fitting bra looks like.

As for the money, if you do order online, make sure ot order from places that have good return policies!!! Since you're in the states there are a lot of great online shops that do (listed on my resource page on my blog). For me spending on bras has been well worth it. I get back pain almost immediately when my band is too big. I also watch for deals. Brastop has probably the cheapest bras that I've found and they offer free international shipping on occasion so that's a great place to check too!!! That's not even telling how much better I feel in my own skin simply because I do feel more confident wearing bras that fit. ;)

purple sky
03-02-2012, 02:16 PM
A 32G (in UK sizes, I'm not 100% sure what that is in US sizes) would be a good starting point for you. The reason you have all those different sizes is because the cup size depends on the band size. So, for instance, a cup on a 32G=34FF=36F=38E=40DD. Now you might be wondering why a 40C or 38C "fits" when I'm suggesting a larger cup size for you but that's because the band is too loose. For instance, I have bras that have too bands for me and they look like the cups fit on them but if I have DH pull the band tight in the back (like it should fit), I end up with quadraboob and the underwires cut into my breast tissue.

So long story short it's good to find your band measurement first. It's really important, though, that you try a large enough cup in your correct band, otherwise the band can feel tight, even when it's the correct size.

Personally, I have done all the fitting for myself because I live in a bra-desert (http://braslessinbrasil.blogspot.com/2012/02/living-in-bra-desert.html). ;) So I started with my measurements and then kept trying on new bras while I narrowed in on my size. Sometimes fitters don't even understand proper sizing/fit so it's good to go in having a guess at your size and knowing what a well-fitting bra looks like.

As for the money, if you do order online, make sure ot order from places that have good return policies!!! Since you're in the states there are a lot of great online shops that do (listed on my resource page on my blog). For me spending on bras has been well worth it. I get back pain almost immediately when my band is too big. I also watch for deals. Brastop has probably the cheapest bras that I've found and they offer free international shipping on occasion so that's a great place to check too!!! That's not even telling how much better I feel in my own skin simply because I do feel more confident wearing bras that fit. ;)

Wow, you are amazing. I am looking at brastop now. Prices are not bad at all and they take paypal. I like that I can see the women in it because they do look like my size.

This all blows me away. I remember looking at this post long ago but at that time it was not an issue. Now, there is some puckering in the cups. But, it does feel weird to think of myself as a anything bigger than a D. That cracks me up a little.

I just signed up on RetailMeNot for brastop coupon codes.

Thank you so much. This is so fascinating as I know nothing at all about this.

Oh, one more question. I did the underbust tightly but I did the bust loosely. Should those measurements have been tight also?

p.s. we have like the same measurements and goals.

Chuckles1330
03-02-2012, 02:23 PM
PurpleSky - don't know where in CA you are, but I LOVE "Intimacy" bra stores. They are pricey to be sure, but getting fit properly is key. Once you are properly fit and have an idea of what size you wear in a particular brand, you can look online for cheaper solutions. (My cup size is H - which is difficult to find in general, online or otherwise.) According to their website, there are three stores in CA - Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego.

purple sky
03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
PurpleSky - don't know where in CA you are, but I LOVE "Intimacy" bra stores. They are pricey to be sure, but getting fit properly is key. Once you are properly fit and have an idea of what size you wear in a particular brand, you can look online for cheaper solutions. (My cup size is H - which is difficult to find in general, online or otherwise.) According to their website, there are three stores in CA - Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego.

Thank you, Chuckles1330. I will go ahead and check it out. I did find them online today but with the name I ahh, was not sure as to what kind of store it was, you know. I am comfortable in Victoria's Secret but I am generally not comfortable in lingerie shops. I am very shy and reserved. But, if you like them I will check them out. That is why I just buy my bras in regular stores. More comfortable of an experience for me. Just curious. What might a bra at Intimacy run? Just so I don't have sticker shock when I go in. Thank you. This web site is the best. Ask and you receive.

runningfromfat
03-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Wow, you are amazing. I am looking at brastop now. Prices are not bad at all and they take paypal. I like that I can see the women in it because they do look like my size.

This all blows me away. I remember looking at this post long ago but at that time it was not an issue. Now, there is some puckering in the cups. But, it does feel weird to think of myself as a anything bigger than a D. That cracks me up a little.

I just signed up on RetailMeNot for brastop coupon codes.

Thank you so much. This is so fascinating as I know nothing at all about this.

Oh, one more question. I did the underbust tightly but I did the bust loosely. Should those measurements have been tight also?

p.s. we have like the same measurements and goals.

No problem! The bust measurement you don't want to be too tight because otherwise they'll be uncomfortable so it sounds like you did it perfectly. ;) I'd suggest ordering in a few different sizes so you can get a better idea. Also, if you subscribe to their newsletter they often have free or half price international shipping, which just makes it better! :carrot:

If there is an Intimacy or any other lingerie shop you could always try that in person to zone in on your size (maybe pick up one bra to help support the store IF you found one that you love and the service is good) and then buy the rest online.

berryblondeboys
03-02-2012, 03:14 PM
OK, I have never done the "measure leaning down bit".... Well, maybe I have bit it was when I was nursing. She had me measure the breast itself, like from underbust outward to nipple.

This is what I get.

Underbust - 34"
Overbust with bra - 40" (just lost an inch this past month from breast tissue for the FIRST time this weight loss journey. All other losses have been around the back/band)

Now, leaning forward around the bust with no bra: 44"
Leaning forward around the breast: 10" for one from one side to the other.
And the method of just measuring outward while bending over: 5"
On my back (where the boobs fall to the side): 42"

My breasts are VERY saggy. They always have been, but I think I'm beginning to see either the effects of gravity, loose skin or something. Basically they look like naval oranges dangling from a short tube sock.

I attached a photo to another discussion on this and I think it's a great photo as it shows how different our breasts are:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/melissa_sinclair2003/2boobie-type-identification-facebook-tagging-meme-picture.jpg

Mine look like (and always have looked like) the last one - Hot Water Bottles. So, based on my measurements, what size SHOULD I be getting? I have 36DDD, 34F and 34G. They all fit me differently. The 34G ironically is the tightest and makes my breasts look the smallest. I actually think in that brand/cut I need an H. Yet I have another 34G with a more formed bra cup that I'm not sure I fill out properly. So, I'm still trying to figure it out.

Chuckles1330
03-02-2012, 03:50 PM
PurpleSky - I would plan on $80-$120 for a bra at Intimacy. And don't worry - the shop will be less racy than Victoria's Secret :) Having said that, you might be able to get out for less - smaller sizes cost a bit less, and I've always been at the top of their size range. I've always been happy with the service I've received there, and have referred a lot of friends and family to them who have also always left happy. Since I'm losing weight, I didn't allocate part of my bonus for a trip there this year, but will do so again next year, especially since I should need to be resized. :)

purple sky
03-02-2012, 06:18 PM
PurpleSky - I would plan on $80-$120 for a bra at Intimacy. And don't worry - the shop will be less racy than Victoria's Secret :) Having said that, you might be able to get out for less - smaller sizes cost a bit less, and I've always been at the top of their size range. I've always been happy with the service I've received there, and have referred a lot of friends and family to them who have also always left happy. Since I'm losing weight, I didn't allocate part of my bonus for a trip there this year, but will do so again next year, especially since I should need to be resized. :)

Ahh, just what I thought. I think it might make a good gift for when I hit goal. At that price I want to wear it a long time. Might also motivate me not to put weight back on. LOL! I am looking forward to this though. The difference in bras fitting better when I first started to lose weight was wonderful.

Momto2cs
03-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Ha ha
I think I am flapjacks... Just got new bras-at Victoria's secret I am a 32 d....

New Englander
03-02-2012, 08:57 PM
LOL!!! Those descriptions and pictures are hilarious and ugly as heck!!! Thanks for sharing...(I think)!!!

Survalia
03-03-2012, 12:23 PM
$80 - $120 for ONE bra??? Oh my gosh! I mean, I realize that quality is going to cost more, but I just can't spend that kind of money, unless that one bra is going to last for a heck of a long time. What would be the "life span" of a bra like that?

purple sky
03-03-2012, 03:02 PM
I buy my bras at Kohls and have had success with them. And it looks like they are going to have a sale this week. That is when I usually snatch them or if have the coupons. I have coupons now as well.

The prices were good at brastop and shipping was not insane considering it has to travel a long way to get here. I loved looking at the real women with real boobs on the site. I could kind of see where I fit and what might work with me and my body type. So, once I know my size for sure I will order from there.

But, I love the idea of the treat with a place like Intimacy. I remember buying a bra a Vicky's Secret a few years back when I had last lost weight. I was shocked at their prices. It has been years since I last bought a bra there. I had a gift card. Those are not impulse purchases but I think I might, if I find the perfect bra treat myself to one at a place like intimacy when I hit goal. That might be the right time to commit to a new size. Going forward I will not have a lot of bras in my drawer like I do now. But, making "the girls" happy is important.

purple sky
03-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Rachel Ray had some bra fitting tips today. If you go to her web site, you can see them.

It made all this sizing make sense. I would have never considered a much smaller waist band and larger cup size. I used to assume that if your old bra was too big, you just sized down but it is not as simple as that. The women looked great the their "girls" seemed really happy.

Diana B
03-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I gotta tell you my bras are not fitting right...and I imagine I'm in good company. A great fitting bra can make or break ab outfit. Below is a link from Oprah's website about this topic. Also, Nordstroms comes highly recommended for bra fittings. Just be careful not to spend the $100s on ONE BRA that they will try to sell you! :)

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Bra-Fitting-Tips

I have such a hard time getting bras that fit, even from Nordstrom...:?: the last two times I went there I ended up returning them because the underwires were really bothering me, the larger the bra the worse the underwire:mad: now that I'm losing weight, I'm hoping to be able to get a better fit. And, yes, I DO want to lose weight in my bust, lol

desperatetolosegirl
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Have anyone tried the comfortisse or genie or Aah bras? They are one size fits all bras based on t-shirt sizes. Meaning to try those but not sure if they will look like sports bras.

pegv
03-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Have anyone tried the comfortisse or genie or Aah bras? They are one size fits all bras based on t-shirt sizes. Meaning to try those but not sure if they will look like sports bras.

I wear the Rhonda Shear Ahh bra at night. I love it and it works great for nighttime wear but it would not be enough support for the daytime. A few years ago, I had went to a doctor to see about a breast reduction. He had asked me if I had ever worn a bra when I go to bed and I said no. He said that every woman should wear a bra at night so their breast would'nt stretch. He said they should start wearing one when they first start wearing a bra. I sure wish I had known this when I was 14!!:)

Sewmam
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
After losing 145 pds, I really needed new bras, and the one I used to like at Catherines didn't come any smaller. I find underwires painful and I don't like the foam cups or pointy shapes, so a soft cup was my goal. I'm also 59, so my breasts don't hang like they used to.

Anyway, I have been trying on bras everywhere and could not find anything that felt right, and then went to a medical bra place in my area and found the most amazing bra I've ever worn. The people that work in these stores are worth their weight in gold, because she really helped me to find the right size. I ended up with an Amoena "Mona" bra. It is a mastectomy bra, but that just means it has a pocket where you can insert a form if needed. The material is a microfiber that is beautiful and I felt pretty. The sides are tall enough that I'm not poking out of it, and feels really good. Their price was $52, and they had a coupon with my IP clinic that if you bought 2, you got 20% off. I also found the same bra on-line in colors they didn't have, so I ordered them. Time will tell how they wear, but I think the microfiber will last longer than the cotton bras I had.

It made my day.

New Englander
03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
After losing 145 pds, I really needed new bras, and the one I used to like at Catherines didn't come any smaller. I find underwires painful and I don't like the foam cups or pointy shapes, so a soft cup was my goal. I'm also 59, so my breasts don't hang like they used to.

Anyway, I have been trying on bras everywhere and could not find anything that felt right, and then went to a medical bra place in my area and found the most amazing bra I've ever worn. The people that work in these stores are worth their weight in gold, because she really helped me to find the right size. I ended up with an Amoena "Mona" bra. It is a mastectomy bra, but that just means it has a pocket where you can insert a form if needed. The material is a microfiber that is beautiful and I felt pretty. The sides are tall enough that I'm not poking out of it, and feels really good. Their price was $52, and they had a coupon with my IP clinic that if you bought 2, you got 20% off. I also found the same bra on-line in colors they didn't have, so I ordered them. Time will tell how they wear, but I think the microfiber will last longer than the cotton bras I had.

It made my day.
Yah...A bra success story!!! :) I'm going to Nordstroms tomorrow for a fitting. I've been wearing bras that are too big (since losing 61 pounds)! I'm so excited!!! :)

New Englander
03-22-2012, 02:46 PM
So I decided it was time to get a bra fitting done, (having loss 63 lbs). I went to Nordstroms and told the women I was on a budget and still have about 10 lbs to lose so i don't want to spend a lot of money on bras. Unbeknownst to me their low end for a bra (not on sale) is roughly $65. HA~ So, she fitted me then proceeded to bring me in expensive bras plus a neglige that cost $172~ haha again~ She also brought me in a Spanx like top which I treated myself to then I searched the sale racks and bought another bra for less and then headed over to Macy's with my accurate bra size, and bought more bras at an affordable price! Boy it feels good to have bras that fit!!! WOO HOO!!!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Sum38
03-22-2012, 03:05 PM
So I decided it was time to get a bra fitting done, (having loss 63 lbs). I went to Nordstroms and told the women I was on a budget and still have about 10 lbs to lose so i don't want to spend a lot of money on bras. Unbeknownst to me their low end for a bra (not on sale) is roughly $65. HA~ So, she fitted me then proceeded to bring me in expensive bras plus a neglige that cost $172~ haha again~ She also brought me in a Spanx like top which I treated myself to then I searched the sale racks and bought another bra for less and then headed over to Macy's with my accurate bra size, and bought more bras at an affordable price! Boy it feels good to have bras that fit!!! WOO HOO!!!

I love my Spanx!! I feel thin and pretty :D -- Glad you found good fitting bras!

Sum38
03-22-2012, 03:06 PM
$80 - $120 for ONE bra??? Oh my gosh! I mean, I realize that quality is going to cost more, but I just can't spend that kind of money, unless that one bra is going to last for a heck of a long time. What would be the "life span" of a bra like that?

It is a crime, and I just read an average bra only lasts for months, MONTHS!???

I think I will just start wearing sports bras :D

New Englander
03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
It is a crime, and I just read an average bra only lasts for months, MONTHS!???

I think I will just start wearing sports bras :D
My sister's friend told me if she bought a bra that expensive it better come with a boyfriend!!! LOL!!! Loved it! :)

Sum38
03-22-2012, 03:33 PM
My sister's friend told me if she bought a bra that expensive it better come with a boyfriend!!! LOL!!! Loved it! :)

hehe....I will actually take a maid (aka lady-in-waiting), please? :D

purple sky
03-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Do they touch you or tug at you? I saw the bra lady on Rachel Ray and she was touching everywhere. I think that is why I have been hesitant to get a bra fitting.

runningfromfat
03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
If you're looking for cheaper bras, definitely check out both brastop!!! They are SO much cheaper. They're always having sales and even have free international shipping every now and then. ;) Sometimes you can get bras there (in band sizes 28 and up and I think the cups run from D-K?) for as low as $15!!!! The shipping isn't super cheap but with that sort of discount it's well worth it. :D Also check ebay (and ebay UK too they often have interntaional shipping).

runningfromfat
03-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Do they touch you or tug at you? I saw the bra lady on Rachel Ray and she was touching everywhere. I think that is why I have been hesitant to get a bra fitting.

Depends. A GOOD fitter would ask first. Ideally, you want to check, though, that if a band is tight enough that you can only fit two fingers behind it. So they might check that. If you don't feel comfortable, speak up. It's your body and you shouldn't be touched if you don't want to.

berryblondeboys
03-22-2012, 04:57 PM

If you want a good bra fitting, they will need to touch your breasts, yes. But you can also do a fitting on your own. Read up on runningfromfat's site.

New Englander
03-22-2012, 05:00 PM
hehe....I will actually take a maid (aka lady-in-waiting), please? :D
LOL!!! :)

New Englander
03-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Nordstroms doesn't touch or anything...she was very professional and discreet.

New Englander
03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
If you want a good bra fitting, they will need to touch your breasts, yes. But you can also do a fitting on your own. Read up on runningfromfat's site.
They did not touch me at all and I got a very good fitting! I would be shocked if I were touched. Edit. (Well I'd be shocked if by breasts were touched.) I don't even like to get full body massages due to all the touching. I don't even like the leg massage after a pedicure!!! :) I didn't even think of asking if she was going to touch me but that's a great idea. Fortunately she was so good she could do my fitting without touching. :)

berryblondeboys
03-22-2012, 05:11 PM
So you did she measure you if she didn't touch you? I'm not saying manhandling you, but like a seamstress would touch you to get your measurements.

New Englander
03-22-2012, 05:25 PM
So you did she measure you if she didn't touch you? I'm not saying manhandling you, but like a seamstress would touch you to get your measurements.
You know...I didn't even consider that touching...she did my thorax and then eyed the front of me and got my cup size. She came back with bras and they fit like gloves! I had just gotten back from my IP weigh in and was measured and that measuring is more touching than my bra fitting measuring was.

purple sky
03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I think I was assuming that the professional fitters would be just like the lady I saw on Rachel Ray. Authoriative so she just gets in there to test things out, which is not a bad thing. She has to make sure there is not space where there shouldn't be but when she ran her hands along the seam to prove her point, I was like whoa. The women (not models) were probably prepared but may have been taken aback. Still I learned a lot because of the before and afters. What runningfromfat has explained made so much sense. I could see myself and what my problems were and could better understand how I could go to a smaller band but larger cup

New Englander
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I think I was assuming that the professional fitters would be just like the lady I saw on Rachel Ray. Authoriative so she just gets in there to test things out, which is not a bad thing. She has to make sure there is not space where there shouldn't be but when she ran her hands along the seam to prove her point, I was like whoa. The women (not models) were probably prepared but may have been taken aback. Still I learned a lot because of the before and afters. What runningfromfat has explained made so much sense. I could see myself and what my problems were and could better understand how I could go to a smaller band but larger cup
I was okay with it and I'm not a fan of any touching from strangers. Other than not having a top on (with bra still on) my experience was no different than being measured by my IP coach. It's such a good feeling (both physically and mentally) to have bras that are my correct size. :)

purple sky
03-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanx ladies. About 10 lbs from now I think I will go and get fitted. But since my original goal is approaching I have another treat in mind for myself. I did get some new bras that fit now and there is no puckering. I just feel I need to be sized for the long term.

Samba
03-22-2012, 06:43 PM

I have the Genie bra and am consdering order something similar from QVC. They are comfortable to wear. I am not sure the look is the most flattering as there is not lift and seperate. For me, they do not create the uniboob as badly as a sports bra does. They are stretchy and I hope to use them until I get down to bra investment size!

New Englander
03-22-2012, 06:52 PM
The brand I purchased at both Macy's and Nordstroms is Wacoal. Both stores had them on sale and they were originally priced at $48 and $65. On sale they were in the low $30s. This is way more than I usually spend but I sort of felt like treating myself...DH doesn't know the damage of my purchases today...

berryblondeboys
03-22-2012, 07:05 PM
The brand I purchased at both Macy's and Nordstroms is Wacoal. Both stores had them on sale and they were originally priced at $48 and $65. On sale they were in the low $30s. This is way more than I usually spend but I sort of felt like treating myself...DH doesn't know the damage of my purchases today...

That brand doesn't fit me well - too wide or something. I've tried so many of their bras and all of them fit me funny.

Sewmam
03-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Macy's has great quality and great sales! I just got a robe for $5 on the clearance rack and 2 pairs of jeans for 1/4 what they were originally.

New Englander
03-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Macy's has great quality and great sales! I just got a robe for $5 on the clearance rack and 2 pairs of jeans for 1/4 what they were originally.
Nice! I have a hard time paying full price for many things. I love a good sale too!!!

New Englander
03-22-2012, 07:56 PM
That brand doesn't fit me well - too wide or something. I've tried so many of their bras and all of them fit me funny.
This was my first time trying this brand and they seem to be my cup of tea! But, hopefully when I start hitting TJ Maxx I'll be able to find some good fitting bras in my size.

purple sky
03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
A 32G (in UK sizes, I'm not 100% sure what that is in US sizes) would be a good starting point for you. The reason you have all those different sizes is because the cup size depends on the band size. So, for instance, a cup on a 32G=34FF=36F=38E=40DD. Now you might be wondering why a 40C or 38C "fits" when I'm suggesting a larger cup size for you but that's because the band is too loose.

I think I finally understand this. I was confused at first but when I saw how the bra lady chose new sizes for the women I was shocked, but I could see the difference. "The girls" looked good and they were up where they are supposed to be despite what age does to us. Those bras did not give away age (gravity issues).

purple sky
04-05-2012, 03:55 PM
So, finally success.

I am a 34F or thereabouts.

Thank you, runningfromfat. You nailed it.

After looking at runningfromfat's blog and other links and some videos on you tube (brastop has some good info too) I measured myself and these were my measurements.

31 inches band (underboob)
38 inches bust (boobs)

Now, sometimes my measurements differed but not more than an inch.

I used this bra calculator http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm#
Which gave me a couple sizes to work with.

I went to Nordstrom's Rack because New Englander had success with Nordstrom's and Macy's. I had looked up both online and found Nordstrom's to be quite pricey. Nordstrom rack was closer to home so I thought I would start there.

So I grabbed a bunch and quickly eliminated a bunch of sizes. The 32 inch band was just too tight but it helped me to narrow down some cup sizes.There wasn't much choice once I narrowed down the size and the bra I picked worked well. It was like I finally got it. Priced at more than 50% off I grabbed it.

I know my size now or at least my size in that brand. Based on what I have read different brands run differently. So I thought I tried on two in the same size but one fit and the other dug in a little.

I put my t-shirt on and liked how they looked. I finally realized what all the fuss was about. In appearance the difference from my current best fitting bra, a 36D, was subtle but the effect was dramatic. The band and the bulk of the bra did all the work. I never even adjusted the straps. No pull or tug there. My old bras dug in my shoulders. The ladies rested midway between my elbows and shoulders which is really nice at my age. I did not do the 2 finger test but the fit was firm. This was especially noticable when I put back on my current best fitting bra and it felt like nothing. Just a step above au naturale. I finally understood what a good fit is about.

I may still go for a professional fitting one day. And, I am still toying with ordering from brastop. I was going to get a 34DD before. Would have been in trouble with that. But, I believe my UK size to be 34E which is also 34F and 34DDD in the US. Yes, just to keep things confusing.

I want to thank all of you for your information and advice. I took everything into consideration and looked up other information on fitting, just to "get it." This sizing business was a really tough concept to wrap my head around. It was like telling me water is green. Hunh?

But, I get it now. The band has to fit and I suspect most of us, to compensate for cup sizes, are wearing bands that are too big so the bras are not able to do the support work they are designed to do. The cup sizes are not as large as you think. The cup on my 34F looks very much like the cups on my 36D. I think this is what confuses most women.

So, now I know. Even though I lost all this weight, I am still in specialty sizes and I have to purchase accordingly.

runningfromfat
04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
purple sky

I'm sooooooooooooo glad to hear that you found a bra that fits, that's awesome!!! :carrot:

One thing you might find (re: 32's vs. 34's) is that over time after you get used to wearing 34's you might find that you prefer 32's. The reason being is that
1 you get used to wearing a tighter band
2 there's something called breast tissue remigration. Basically after years of wearing illfitting bras your breast tissue migrates towards your back/sides. Once you start wearing tighter bands and cups that fit it remigrates towards your front. So you might actually find you go up in cup size and down a band size AND your back fat/underarm fat gets better. :D

It appears this has happened to me too, so I just wanted to give you a heads up down the road if you wonder why your preference might change. ;)

But I'm so happy you found a bra that feels comfortable and fit, yay!!!!!

Sum38
04-05-2012, 05:52 PM
purple sky Nice! I am one of these freaks that have to go with a bigger band. -- I tried going by the "real" band size and had bruising for 10 days :( I am glad you found some you can be comfortable with!

purple sky
04-06-2012, 03:15 AM
purple sky

I'm sooooooooooooo glad to hear that you found a bra that fits, that's awesome!!! :carrot:

One thing you might find (re: 32's vs. 34's) is that over time after you get used to wearing 34's you might find that you prefer 32's. The reason being is that
1 you get used to wearing a tighter band
2 there's something called breast tissue remigration. Basically after years of wearing illfitting bras your breast tissue migrates towards your back/sides. Once you start wearing tighter bands and cups that fit it remigrates towards your front. So you might actually find you go up in cup size and down a band size AND your back fat/underarm fat gets better. :D

It appears this has happened to me too, so I just wanted to give you a heads up down the road if you wonder why your preference might change. ;)

But I'm so happy you found a bra that feels comfortable and fit, yay!!!!!

Thanx for the migration tips. I did notice some bulging on the sides and other areas but it was not what it was like when I was wearing a bra with cups too small.

I will keep trying new ones. I did not have enough choice in my size range. It took me two weeks to get to the store to do this. I will retry 32's because sometimes when I measure my underboob is 30.

I didn't really get all this before but better I have 2 or 3 good bras rather than 6+ in sizes that don't fit.

purple sky Nice! I am one of these freaks that have to go with a bigger band. -- I tried going by the "real" band size and had bruising for 10 days :( I am glad you found some you can be comfortable with!

Ah, good to know. I have not started wearing it yet. Not washed yet. This is a learning process. Whole new adventure.

runningfromfat
04-06-2012, 10:46 PM

It doesn't make you a freak, just a different body type. The Linger Addict has the same thing (and if you see a picture of her back it's pretty clear that it does get quite a bit wider from her underbust). I'm the opposite (I have to go down). I think the one thing you have to understand about female body types is that you can ALWAYS expect a significant amount of variation!!!

Beanie Mommy
04-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Inspired by this thread I went out and got fitted for bras at Victoria's Secret today. I've been a 38C or D for an eternity now and even went to a 40C, and I always had issues with the underarm fat. Now I understand why. I needed a 36DD instead. Thanks to all who cleared up the confusion on band size v. Cup size. I feel a gazillion times better in my clothes now. Goodbye boob fat in the wrong places :)

New Englander
04-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Inspired by this thread I went out and got fitted for bras at Victoria's Secret today. I've been a 38C or D for an eternity now and even went to a 40C, and I always had issues with the underarm fat. Now I understand why. I needed a 36DD instead. Thanks to all who cleared up the confusion on band size v. Cup size. I feel a gazillion times better in my clothes now. Goodbye boob fat in the wrong places :)
The girls are thanking you!!! ;) I got fitting a month ago and can't believe the difference...happy girls, happy me!!!

purple sky
04-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I was able to find 3 at Nordstrom Rack and probably spent $70-$75 (One was unusually marked down). Which is about the retail cost for 1. (And maybe almost what I spent on those 3 temps bras in the wrong size) When I phase off this diet I think I will give the professional fitting a try. I want to learn what is a good style for me. The girls sit too far apart. Funny the things you notice when you are not just slapping on a holster.

Miss Laura B
04-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Yesterday morning, I realized my bras are just toooooo big, so I started thinking about going for a fitting, but not wanting to spend too much money since I'll lose more weight and it won't fit for too long and then I found this thread!

I was wearing a 42DD and I measured myself last night and went shopping today for a 40DDD (convinced that I wouldn't be able to find one) and I found plenty!!! I hit the jackpot at JCPenney (because I had a gift card there), but I only ended up getting one. I now have 2 bras that fit well and will buy some more when these get too big!

Thanks for the tips!!

YAY!!!

purple sky
04-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Does anyone wash their bras in the washer. I used to wash mine on delicate and dry on delicate. I also have a hand wash cycle on my washer now. Never used it. I would prefer to do that than hand wash. I don't hand wash anymore. Used to.

CassiR
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
So I was curious and took my measurements.. I'm a 34 underbust (I already added the 4 to my 30" measurement) and 34 1/2 for bust. According to the chart, this means i'm around a 34 AA. Wow a AA?! I've been wearing B's... If I go try AA's will my breasts be falling out of the sides and top? It just seems so small. I suppose I need to go try some on! :)

berryblondeboys
04-08-2012, 08:56 PM
So I was curious and took my measurements.. I'm a 34 underbust (I already added the 4 to my 30" measurement) and 34 1/2 for bust. According to the chart, this means i'm around a 34 AA. Wow a AA?! I've been wearing B's... If I go try AA's will my breasts be falling out of the sides and top? It just seems so small. I suppose I need to go try some on! :)

Where did you get from is thread to add 4" when nearly everything says don't add 4". You need a 30D or 30DD.

CassiR
04-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Where did you get from is thread to add 4" when nearly everything says don't add 4". You need a 30D or 30DD.

You're right. I was going by an old youtube video. So a 30D or 30DD sounds a bit better.. Thanks!! whew!

purple sky
04-08-2012, 10:26 PM

I find that the videos help you to understand how it should fit and what it should look like.

That adding inches deal is so confusing. I saw that allover the place.

Have you tried this bra calculator? It helped me a lot.
http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm#

Put your measurements in and it will give you a few sizes. I tried on a 32 inch band which is what I should be in. But it just felt too tight to me because I am used to 36 and up bands. Once I get used to my 34 bands I will trade down.

I liked the video and information at brastop. They are funny.
http://www.brastop.com/fitting/

Happy sizing. It's a very stressful process. I seriously had to work up to it but once it's done, it's done and you feel so much better.

CassiR
04-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I find that the videos help you to understand how it should fit and what it should look like.

That adding inches deal is so confusing. I saw that allover the place.

Have you tried this bra calculator? It helped me a lot.
http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm#

Put your measurements in and it will give you a few sizes. I tried on a 32 inch band which is what I should be in. But it just felt too tight to me because I am used to 36 and up bands. Once I get used to my 34 bands I will trade down.

I liked the video and information at brastop. They are funny.
http://www.brastop.com/fitting/

Happy sizing. It's a very stressful process. I seriously had to work up to it but once it's done, it's done and you feel so much better.

Wonderful! Thank you!
This is definitely confusing as i'm used to A's, B's and C's. So since our sizes have changed (or we have changed to using the right sizes), do normal stores like Kohls, Sears, etc sell these as the same size? If I go looking for a 30DD will it be the same size as if I bought a 30DD on brastop? I understand brands sizes differ but would they be relatively similar?

purple sky
04-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Wonderful! Thank you!
This is definitely confusing as i'm used to A's, B's and C's. So since our sizes have changed (or we have changed to using the right sizes), do normal stores like Kohls, Sears, etc sell these as the same size? If I go looking for a 30DD will it be the same size as if I bought a 30DD on brastop? I understand brands sizes differ but would they be relatively similar?

It's very confusing. I'm an F. That's crazy big to me but it's my size now, so...
That's a good question. Normal stores do not carry my size. I have worn Bali for years and thought I could at least find my new size with them online but no such luck. I glanced at a few regular stores and even stores that sold bras. I saw DD as the largest but I don't know if I saw it with like a 32 inch band.

Now, I had luck at Nordstrom Rack because their bras are heavily discounted. When I went to regular Nordstrom and got a fitting, I had chosen the right size based on all the research I did.

I have to admit not all bras in the same size fit the same. So, it made me nervous about ordering online. Plus, with brastop you would order in your UK size (they have the chart there so you will know your UK size). One poster here had some good luck at Penney's. Was just there. Never even thought to try them because all these other stores I went to mostly had the ABC's. I will check them out next time.

I also now know which style works best for my body. I may think I want push up but it did not work for me. Interestingly the bras that fit best at regular Nordstrom were two of the same brands I purchased for a fraction of the price at Nordstrom rack. The brands that worked for me at the main store were the two brands I bought at Nordstrom rack.

I noticed whenever I pop into a store I glance at the bras to check size but nearly every store carries the ABC's.

It's funny. This is the kind of thing that only makes sense once you actually try something on in your correct size and you put your shirt on. You really notice it when you put your old bra back on. Otherwise it's really hard to wrap around the idea of costly bras. I kept pushing it off and wish I had gotten at least one a month ago.

CassiR
04-09-2012, 07:20 AM
I noticed whenever I pop into a store I glance at the bras to check size but nearly every store carries the ABC's.

It's funny. This is the kind of thing that only makes sense once you actually try something on in your correct size and you put your shirt on. You really notice it when you put your old bra back on. Otherwise it's really hard to wrap around the idea of costly bras. I kept pushing it off and wish I had gotten at least one a month ago.

You're right. It's hard to base a decision on a bra online when I haven't tried any on so far. I'll try to keep my eye out for stores that carry the small band size D's, E's and F's. There has to be something out there! I'm ready to take all the tension off my bra straps! They seem to be doing all the work and can't imagine how much better it'd feel to rely on the band and not the straps!

runningfromfat
04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
You're right. It's hard to base a decision on a bra online when I haven't tried any on so far. I'll try to keep my eye out for stores that carry the small band size D's, E's and F's. There has to be something out there! I'm ready to take all the tension off my bra straps! They seem to be doing all the work and can't imagine how much better it'd feel to rely on the band and not the straps!

I agree 100% that trying on bras is important. It's taken me a LONG time to figure out what styles work best for me. One thing I would suggest is looking at your breasts and considering a few things:

- are my breasts shallow and wide or narrow and deep?
- Is my breast tissue soft (like if you cup it in your hand does it flatten out) or are my breasts firm (typically for younger, childless females)
- do I have any asymmetry (then fit the larger breasts and look for pads or you can even think about altering down the other cup)?
- be aware of breast tissue migration and make sure to put on your bra correct (leaning forward and scooping all of your breast tissue into the cups)

If you have any questions let me know! I've learned a lot by looking at other's reviews and trying on a ton of bras. Personally, I have narrow, deep breasts with soft breast tissue so I've figured out what works for them.

runningfromfat
04-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Does anyone wash their bras in the washer. I used to wash mine on delicate and dry on delicate. I also have a hand wash cycle on my washer now. Never used it. I would prefer to do that than hand wash. I don't hand wash anymore. Used to.

Nope, not in the wash! It can wear out the wires much quicker and can damaged the elasticity in the band. Instead hand wash them with gentle soap (baby shampoo such as Johnson's and Johnson's works well).

northernfawn
06-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Having lost about 40 lbs now, I thought it a good idea to get myself some decent bras. Thursday night I went to Change and got fitted properly - what a difference!! I went from a 42DD to 36I.... just having the right fitting bra gave me so much confidence and I even found myself walking taller.... who woulda thunk??? Yesterday was a really weird day at work too - a lot of people commented on how good I looked and were asking how much weight I'd lost etc..... what a boost that was. I think the bras changed my silhouette, and that's what was noticed.... just a thought

Change is a bra-chain from Scandinavia and apparently they have the largest size selection in north America, saying that, I don't think they are in the States...........

http://change.com/en-ca/stores

purple sky
06-02-2012, 03:31 PM
It makes the biggest difference. Your posture changes. Tops fit so much better. Now, I do feel the underwire more and that is because there is less fat over my rib cage so in the future I need to see if I can find something to help there. I found some wireless but the smallest were DD's.

Bought a couple at Soma. Soma is connected to Chico's. Those I toss in the wash on gentle and they are fine. I just don't dry them.

I am waiting to see how things shape out. That tissue migration deal runningfromfat mentioned is happening so I want to wait a bit before trying on new sizes. As it stands now I cannot go below 34F/34DDD but the cups are too big (too much space in the top but you can't tell when I wear clohes). Smaller ones don't fit. But, I will wait and maybe try 34DD or 32F (U.S. sizes).

runningfromfat
06-09-2012, 05:06 PM
It makes the biggest difference. Your posture changes. Tops fit so much better. Now, I do feel the underwire more and that is because there is less fat over my rib cage so in the future I need to see if I can find something to help there. I found some wireless but the smallest were DD's.

Bought a couple at Soma. Soma is connected to Chico's. Those I toss in the wash on gentle and they are fine. I just don't dry them.

I am waiting to see how things shape out. That tissue migration deal runningfromfat mentioned is happening so I want to wait a bit before trying on new sizes. As it stands now I cannot go below 34F/34DDD but the cups are too big (too much space in the top but you can't tell when I wear clohes). Smaller ones don't fit. But, I will wait and maybe try 34DD or 32F (U.S. sizes).

It could be that you have bottom heavy breasts. If I understand it right, in order to get the wires then you have space on the top? What bras brands did you try that was doing that? If you're looking for bras that are good with bottom heavy breasts you might like Bravissimo's bras, specifically the Bravissimo Alana. It runs about a cup size small so I'd order up from your normal cup size.

purple sky
06-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes, bottom heavy is the issue. Yes, I have space at the tops. But when I go a cup size down, there is too much overhang on the sides.

I bought Natori and Chantelle.
I also bought a few from Soma

I see the Alana Bra is called balconette. Is that what I should be looking for? This is not a type I would wear.

runningfromfat
06-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes, bottom heavy is the issue. Yes, I have space at the tops. But when I go a cup size down, there is too much overhang on the sides.

I bought Natori and Chantelle.
I also bought a few from Soma

I see the Alana Bra is called balconette. Is that what I should be looking for? This is not a type I would wear.

I really think it's worth a try. I also have bottom heavy boobs and soft ones post-weight loss. This is the first bra that really encloses them fully and no gaping at the top. You can also check out their Dotty Spotty, which I have heard fits the same way (although I have not tried it yet). I really need to get a review up on my blog soon but have had some insane weeks lately. Check on ebay too because sometimes it's up there for cheap too. ;)

ValRock
06-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Nope, not in the wash! It can wear out the wires much quicker and can damaged the elasticity in the band. Instead hand wash them with gentle soap (baby shampoo such as Johnson's and Johnson's works well).

Yes this!

I wash mine in the shower LOL. I have a retractable line in there for hanging swimwear, anyway. I just hang my bra on it... lather it up with baby soap, and spray it off with the shower head. Works out great! Then I just leave it hanging there until it dries.

seagirl
06-09-2012, 06:05 PM

I wash mine in the shower, too! I hang them over my shoulders when I wash my hair, then run the shampoo in them, rinse and hang to dry (flat on a drying rack, not by one strap.) So easy and better than hand washing.

purple sky
06-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I like Dotty. Too cute.