Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 349/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Default Bra fitting advice from a Bra Fitter!!

I saw a bra fitting thread wondering if it was worth the time, so of course I had to get on my soapbox. This is my first post in the forums, imagine that! LOL.

As someone who is a certified bra fitter by trade I say yes it is absolutely essential to get fitted when buying bras. The life of a bra is only 3-6 months depending on how many you have and how often you are rotating them! Generally you should have four. One on your body, two in the drawer, one in the wash, and rotate. After that period of time the elasticity gives out and it's not doing anything for you other than just making a pretty (and in most cases expensive) boobie cover.

Really you should get fit every time you buy bras because as your weight fluctuates, so will your bra size. A loss of ten pounds or so can change and entire cup size in most cases. The band size goes a little slower because the weight around is harder to lose.

YOUR BAND GIVES YOU 90% OF YOUR SUPPORT LADIES SO DONT WEAR IT TOO BIG. When most women try on bras and they fit tightly, the first thing they do is go for a bigger band. PLEASE STOP!!! Instead go up a cup. A bigger cup gives you a little more wiggle room in the band so don't worry! If your band is too big, you are getting no support. You should be able to run two fingers underneath the band without it shifting. It is supposed to be snug.

Bra's are made for utility, not comfort. They are made to distribute the weight of your breasts evenly so that it is less of a burden on your back. You will feel it for awhile, I'm sorry those of you who want to feel like your bra doesnt exist! You should really go as small as possible in the band to get the maximum support without it restricting oxygen or anything vital

Make sure your fitter is experienced. This is probably the most important part of your shopping experience. And please trust her. Even if you dont believe the size she tells you, be open to it and try one on. Whats it going to hurt? Your fitter should be measuring you in two places: underneath the bust to get your band size, and around the fullest part of breasts to get the cup. If they simply measure you in one place and spit out a size they most likely do NOT know what they are doing (Victorias Secret is infamous for this). Also keep in mind that if your fitter fits you as a 38DD and the first bra you try on in that size doesnt work, doesnt mean she doesnt know what she's doing! Different style bras run differently in sizes. That is why you MUST TRY EVERY BRA ON! It's all about trial and error.

So happy bra shopping ladies! A properly fitted bra can make you look ten pounds thinner so it is definitely worth the time!

I also wanted to add that you should be hooking your bra's closed and washing them on delicate inside of a lingerie bag (hand washing is actually preferable but who has time for that?!). No bra's in the dryer for that is the biggest sin of all. Lot's of great bra's have been lost to them. Simply wash and lay flat to dry. You'll add months onto the life of your bra (but no bra should be more than six months old. seven tops!).

Last edited by glassmenagerie; 06-28-2007 at 12:29 AM.
glassmenagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:15 AM   #2  
it's always something

Thanks for the info! You've definitely given me a lot to think about. I was actually just getting ready to place an order from Bare Necessities for bras that I'm not familiar with. Maybe I should check locally first
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #3  

no problem! i actually edited in a little bit there are bra care after you leave the store

locally is your best bet. i say never buy one that you can't go to the store and try on. returning things ordered online is such a hassle.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

WOW! A "certified bra fitter"! Sounds like a man's dream job. Where can one sign up to become certified?

Your tips are great. I am printing this out and giving it to my teen daughter so that she will understand what I have been trying to discuss for 6 months now!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Great timing on this post! I'm going bra shopping next week because you get a 20% discount on your birthday (yes I'm going on my birthday.)

The last time I was fitted the girl measured way too loose and told me a band size that I knew was too big. I'm glad to hear my concerns were warranted.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/173.5/141

Height: 5'3"

Hi, Glassmenagerie...

Very interesting thread. I just wondered if you preferred one brand of bra (comfort, figure-appearance) over the others. I think this is the worst article of clothing to buy for me and I've just thrown my hands up in the air at times!! Would appreciate any suggestions...
yooperfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #7  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperfinn View Post
Hi, Glassmenagerie...

Very interesting thread. I just wondered if you preferred one brand of bra (comfort, figure-appearance) over the others. I think this is the worst article of clothing to buy for me and I've just thrown my hands up in the air at times!! Would appreciate any suggestions...
well i cant suggest any one particular brand for fit because nearly every brand makes styles that i love and styles that i absolutely loathe! i can recommend however brands in terms of quality and construction. my personal favourite is Wacoal. if you saw the Oprah bra fitting show, that was the brand she featured. they are on the pricey side, but well worth the investment and will last a long time if they are properly cared for. they have several different styles to choose from. my personal favourite is body suede. this bra is comfortable and looks great under blouses, sweaters and tshirts and doesnt push my breasts forward like i am trying to get attention with them lol. it offers a very natural look. if you're looking for something less pricey i'd try bali or vanity fair. Dillards has a brand of bra's called cabernet they are affordable. just bear in mind when you shop that the cheaper it is, the faster it will probably fall apart.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #8  

HAHA well unfortunately for men (and fortunately for us) there is no bra fitting school it's all on the job training!
Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Great timing on this post! I'm going bra shopping next week because you get a 20% discount on your birthday (yes I'm going on my birthday.)

The last time I was fitted the girl measured way too loose and told me a band size that I knew was too big. I'm glad to hear my concerns were warranted.
let me know how it goes!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #10  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Great advice! I used an online bra calculator and it put me at a 42B. I have been wearing 44D cups for ages and that is what most stores sell. Lane Bryant has the B cups and I just adore them. They fit and are comfortable. Well as comfortable as a bra can be considering the size of boobies it has to support.

I agree with the washing instructions entirely. Didn't know about the 6 month rule. Guess I need to get me a couple of new bras pretty soon. Where is the best place to go to find a good bra fitter? What questions should I ask when I get one?
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

I got myself fitted at Nordstrom's recently, and can recommend them highly, I thought they did a great job, but probably any major department store will have someone with some training. Gotta second the experience of going down in band size but up in cup size - and the gals really do look much better now!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #12  

Quote:
probably any major department store will have someone with some training.
Yes and no. Most major department stores don't carry a lot of bras bigger than a DD cup. If you wear a particularly large cup size (maybe band size too, I don't know) they're going to try to fit you into what they sell, not what fits you best. This is the same issue larger-busted women have at places like Victoria's Secret.

An independent bra store is a better bet. Look in your yellow pages for either lingerie, or mastectomy supplies. And don't sneer at the little old ladies in the bra store until you give them a chance.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Very informative. Thanks for all the info. I have now bought bras for the 5th time since I started my journey and without a doubt I could have easily done it 10 times. It's amazing what wearing the right size bra can do for you. I went from a 44DD to a 34C. That's one of the reasons I've called it quits for now in the losing department, I'm beginning to look like a boy.

I just bought bras this past week. I got a new fabulous one from Maidenform that says it can't be detected under t- shirts - and it can't. And it has full coverage which I like and need.

glassmenagarie,I suppose it's just preference, but what's up with say a demi bra? It kind of stops mid way through the breast and looks awful in a t-shirt. What is the purpose of that? Also push-up bras. I've found that if you have the correct back size - well that's push up enough. Am I correct?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #14  

rockinrobin i just saw your before and after shots - you look amazing, you are a real inspiration to those of us at the start of our journeys x
clairec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Glassmenagerie? I wonder if folks explained what's wrong with their bra's, would you mind giving suggestions as to how they can overcome? For example ... the cups pucker?

I realise that'd be asking you to do for free ... but would you mind? There might just be 2 or 3 simple things that would help lots of women.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote