Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 05:47 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #308

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The sun is out but it is 27 degrees and so very windy! I'm sure the wind chill must be close to 0. It is not a nice day to be outside. As I sit as the computer, I glanced out the window only to see one of the stray tom cats chase a lady cat up the neighbor's tree. She is way above the roof line and he has moved to the other side so I can't see him. Doesn't he know this isn't courting weather?

Maggie -- Your salad sounds good! Anything that I don't have to make sounds good. I wish I could afford to hire someone to cook for me! Your temperatures sound wonderful! It's hard to believe we went without coats on Sat. and now we are back to this. I am ready for spring!

Donna -- I started scrapbooking a few years ago and true to my usual habit, I got a book half done and didn't finish it. It was a book for my daughter's graduation and was 14 years of dance pictures. I think that will be one of my projects when I retire!

I need to figure out what is for supper. We have leftovers but that doesn't sound the best and I am hungrier than usual for some reason.

Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- from brrrryyyyyy Iowa!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:45 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Arrow Monday Night

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

UGH why-o-why do I do this to myself sometimes . I was doing so well all day then came suppertime and I blew it and had . I know I can have it on my program but that is if I plan for it and I didn't have enough points left to have it this day but went ahead and ate it. I don't know at this point what it will do to my weigh in come Thrusday but can't do anything about it now except bash on regardless. and take what comes. I will stick to program and be OP the next two days and drink extra water and FOCUS

DONNA every picture tells a story don't it. That is such a nice compliment when a friend notices such a change and an ego booster. You go girl. I am having Cowboy take one of me after each 20 pound loss now. Scrap booking is such fun.

JEAN Spring will get there soon and you will have a great smile on your face. I got my scrap booking done years ago and am not doing anymore. It will be fun to see what you do get done when you retire.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:35 AM   #3  

Maggie: I have lots and lots to do. I have a family album, a baby album for my son and one for my daughter, an grandson album, a vacation album and now the weight loss. I have zillions of pictures to still go through and would like to start heritage albums with all the old pics, but have to get the other ones done first. Everything but the two kids baby albums are on going. I do enjoy it, but not as much as my daughter. Boy that girl can scrapbook. Maybe it is being younger, ya think?

Jean: Good morning to you!

Donna
Old 02-04-2003, 03:06 PM   #4  
One Day At A Time

Good Afternoon Everyone

Just got back from lunch with ds and gd 4. She makes me smile...

Maggie - I have done the same thing too. We are all human. So we just get back up, brush off the dust, and keep on going.
I read that article on Wendy's plan. Interesting. I guess I've sort of been doing my own version. Not quite as structured. I usually have a high point day on the weekend and then work around that. I try to keep my average about 25-26, my range is 24-29. Sounds like you do pretty good on it. You are doing so great!!!!

Jean - I'd love to be able to hire a cook. One that knows WW and nutrition. Maybe even throw in a little cleaning here and there too.

Then I would have time to do my own thing, crocheting, cross-stitch. I also have lots of old slides that I would like to go thru and scan (hopefully I can get a scanner for slides) and make some pictures. Most of the pictures of the kids growing up are on slides.

Donna - Sounds like scrapbooking keeps you busy!! My niece likes to do that. They are really neat... Maybe.. when I retire...

Gotta get back to work <sigh> Wish I could stay and play instead............
Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM   #5  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
I have had a strange day of sorts. We had a 7:30 staff meeting this morning so I set my alarm to get up 10 minutes earlier than I usually do. Yesterday, for some reason I shut if off and got up a half hour later. Anyhow, I trudge into the bathroom to take my shower and NO HOT WATER! So I roll DH out of bed and he investigates the hot water heater which is brand new. The pilot light has gone out, something that has never happened to us before. Meanwhile I slop some cold water on my hair to tame it down and wash my face in cold water. There is no way I am taking a cold shower. For a second or two I entertained the thought of going to the neighbor's next door -- they winter in Texas and we watch the house for them. But at 5:30, it is still very dark outside and I have visions of the police driving by, seeing the lights on, and my having to explain the where and whys of what I am doing there.

I went to WW tonight and when I got there, just as the meeting was supposed to start, the line was loonnngggg! I debated about staying and then thought that since I had gotten that far I may as well stay and face the music. For some reason there was only one person at the $$ table and one person weighing in and she was the one who was supposed to conduct the meeting. I waited in line for 35 minutes but it was worth it . . . I lost 2.8#s! I'm not quite sure how but I did it! I haven't been very faithful about any part of the program other than being aware of what I was eating.

I am tired and plan to head off to bed early tonight. I told DH I just might take a hot shower tonight just in case!

Maggie -- I'll bet the pizza doesn't hurt you unless you really retain fluid after eating salt. You should be able to wash it away before Thursday! Sometimes I get so hungry for something and nothing satisfies the craving until I eat it and get it over with.

Donna -- Maybe I could box up my scrapbook and send it to you! I started a Christmas stocking for Amanda 4 summers ago and still don't have it done. Now I need to make one for Ian and maybe Beth's boyfriend/fiance/whatever he is. I'm real good at starting projects and not finishing them. Maybe that's why my bedrooms are always torn apart.

Joyce -- I have never liked to cook! It takes so much time to prepare, just a few minutes to eat it, and then there's the mess to clean up and put away. Such as waste of time in my opinion! At least with cleaning you can see what you've accomplished and it will stay that way for a while.

I need to figure out what I am wearing to school tomorrow. I only have 3 more days until this chaotic week is over with.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:49 PM   #6  

Jean: BRRRRR cold shower! Even the thought of the cold wet hair and face makes you shiver. With your luck, you'd be in the middle of the shower and the police would break down the door and the jig would be up so to speak! I can see it all now, John Walsh announcing the top story on America's Most Wanted..."Burglar teacher caught in the act of stealing hot water. Will our children ever be safe?" Good for you on your weight loss. That WAS worth the wait!

Joyce: There is nothing like a grandchild to make you laugh. Mine can certainly change a dark day into a bright one just by opening his mouth and telling me something. We went out shopping with his mom last night and while she was looking at jeans, Thomas and I raced around Old Navy in a shopping cart while I taught him the old song "Sugartime." Do you remember that one? I don't know the female artist, but the refrain is shu,shu,shu, shu,shu,shu, shu,shu,shu,shu,shu,shu, sugartime. He was hilarious doing it like a whisper and then practically yelling sugartime. We went looking for presents for everyone for next Christmas and boy he picked some dillies, big pink fluffy flip flops with hearts on them for his mom, loud boxer shorts for dad, etc. I suspect, she drags me along because she has a babysitter in the store, but who cares? We have a ball and he has the most wonderful giggle.

Well, I put Bengay on the ole hip tonight. When I start losing a significant amount of weight, my hip/ upper thigh area will hurt like the devil where the indention (fat loss) is. Don't know why, but it makes for a hard night.

Have a good evening! Donna
Old 02-05-2003, 12:02 PM   #7  

Good Morning all, and happy Hump Day!

Youall are wearing me out with your scrapbooking! I kept up with my son's baby book for maybe 6 mos. I do have several of the small photo albums, and on the inside of the front cover, list the occasions which are included. It does help to find stuff,but htere's no running commentary. Joyce, with your slides, you may be able to find someone who could put them all on a Video Tape for you. I had a bunch of OLD family movies, taken when my dad was a baby and on up until 1945 when my grandfather died. They'd been in a film box for over 50 years, took them to a guy here in town, and he was able to put them on the Video. He said they were so brittle he could only run them once, but fortunately none of the film broke. I had copies made for my parents and aunts and uncles........it was the Christmas hitof the year. Even second and third generations enjoyed it, as we'd all heard tales of "Papa's" boat,etc. Another thing a friend does, is collect her daughters' T shirts, and make a quilt of them for their high school graduation..........I think it's a wonderful idea, and a big hit with the girls. With teenagers, one missing T shirt here and there is never noticed. She went back to elementary school logos, then clubs, sports, camp, etc. They're the envy of all their college friends.

Well, I think I lost 2.4# last week, but I've misplaced my current book.........you understand I'm on volume 5 And, tho I recorded last night's weight in my folder, that's up at church in the storeroom, and it's not important enough for me to go check.

Have lots of errands to run. Among them must have an xray of my right foot done. The light on the machine had burned out when I was there Monday, and they had to send away for a new one..........all I could think of was, "How many people does it take to change a light bulb"?

Babysat with the three month old daughter of a friend of mine yesterday for a couple of hours. Man, it was an education for this old woman! I'd never seen "onesies" before, but didn't take long to figure that out. We had a grand time. She was good as gold. They have the Young Einstein tapes, and we watched the Mozart one.........she was entranced and so was I! We used to play classical music tapes before we discovered books on tape for travelling. My son, at 4, would request Chopin's Favorite hits I'm sure that was the beginning of his love for music. He even loves Wagner for pete's sake! He's got me on that one.........I don't enjoy Opera, and sopranos in particular.

Keep warm, and Maggie, don't get sun poisoning, you rat
Fondly,
Bubs
Old 02-05-2003, 01:20 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Arrow Windyday Humpday

GOOD WINDY WEDNESDAY MAGNOLIAS

Not a top down day today ~ too windy for that. Cowboy got got me the neatest little hand held battery operated frother yesterday and it actually works. It doubles the milk volume in a matter of seconds ~ then I pop the container in the microwave to heat the milk and voila' pour it into strong coffee and practically instant cappuccino. Cowboy likes his coffee so strong and when I want a cup of what he has brewed to that level I need to not drink it or turn it into a latte or cappuccino. So now I can drink his coffee at times when I don't want to fool with my cappuccino machine which steam froths the milk. Non fat or1% milk froths the best. I only use 1/2 cup of milk for frothing and use splenda sweetened syrup so the milk is where I get the one point for my cappuccinos. Life is good.

JOYCE that is such fun for you to be able to do lunches with your 4 year old. How often a week do you do that? Do you by any chance remember Jan in Kansas from the old "C" thread? Anyway she is now a private Chef. For a price she goes into folks homes and cooks up a weeks worth of food and packages it and pops it into their freezers. Leaves instructions on how to thaw and prepare the food and is on her way. Most times the people are all at work and so she is all by herself with no one to bother the process. One of the really neat things about the Wendy Plan is that we can taylor it to our personal needs. It is all about making what you do work for you and I do change my high day around to meet with a special occasion on occasion.

DONNA I don't remember the Sugartime song but do remember the Sum, Sum Summertine one. Now chuck your books and come with me....... Is it one of the songs out of the 40s? I used to sing Tra La La Boom De A to my daughter before bed.

BUBBLES I love music. The 4 tenors and the 4 bluegrass tenors and all that is inbetween. CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss what ever the number was. You are going in the right direction and that is what it is all about.

JEAN shudder! OOOO cold showers aren't in my vocabulary. CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss. Isn't it nice to get a surprise like that when you think you haven't done so well.

Have a wonderful OP day this day.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-05-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:42 PM   #9  

Maggie: I am a music nut of all kinds. I remember that song Summertime and bet if I could let you hear it you would know Sugartime. It is probably early 50's. My little ones I used to sing Shortenin' Bread and My favorite Things and gospel music like His Eye is on the Sparrow and Amazing Grace. I did the same for T and sometimes the only way that baby would sleep was to have me sing to him. I have sung my whole life in school and specials in church. I love everything from Oldies music to 40's swing. I adore Glenn Miller music. Everybody makes fun of me for that one but I would have loved living as an adult in the forties except for the war of course. I loved the hairstyles, clothes and music. I listen to gospel (good old stuff not that rock and roll junk they call gospel today), country, classical, jazz and rhythum and blues. If there were two things I am proud that I passed on to my children were a love of music and a love of reading.

Bubs: Until Thomas my grandson was born, I had no clue what a onsie was either! I thought maybe it was a diaper size or something and WHEW the price of stuff for a baby! Luckily, Kelly breastfed T and he never ate baby food. She made all his food from scratch in a food processor. Grand thing about that is the child eats almost anything you put in front of him.

Well, gott toddle ladies.
Have a good evening!
Donna
Old 02-05-2003, 10:19 PM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am typing one handed while I soak nails off of my other hand so bear with me.

It warmed up some today and the wind went down so it wasn't too bad outside.

Donna -- My shower was nice and hot this morning! Yesterday really made me appreciate that convenience. I remember
"Sugartime" AND can picture it being sung on The Hit Parade! Does that date me or what? I'm also a Bengay fan but I don't think they make it like they used to.

Bubbles -- CONGRATULATIONS on the loss! You are heading in the right direction. What did you do to your foot? I hope the xray will show there is nothing seriously wrong. I sure like onesies! They are so much more convenient that the old t-shirts my kids wore.

Maggie -- A private chef would be my idea of pure bliss! I don't think I remember Jan from the Cuties. I suppose your wind is heading my way.

I need to soak my other hand and get ready for tomorrow. We had very inappropriate class competitions yesterday so today 's were cancelled. I don't know why the principal didn't stop it when it started but instead he waited and gave the student council sponsor he** afterwards. Tomorrow is our big shindig and I hope it goes off without a hitch. Our student body is now 52% nonwhite according to the state newspaper. I've got news for them -- it's more than that......this year's Kdg. alone was 70% nonwhite.

Have a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-05-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:55 AM   #11  
One Day At A Time

Good Morning Ladies

Donna - I don't remember that particular song. But I remember that song Summertime that was mentioned. I remember one time we were on vacation, I think the twins were 5. They started singing Daisy, Daisy while we were walking down the sidewalk. Two older ladies turned around and complemented them about singing one of the good old songs. That was 20 years ago. Those 2 older ladies were about how old I am now. OH NO
I love gospel music, not the new rock stuff, too. My parents used to listen to George Beverly Shea and the Goodmans and others on their old record player when I was growing up. Now we listen to a lot of the Gaither Homecoming music because there is such a variety of singers and types of music. We are going to their concert here in town in April.

Maggie - We see GD at least once a week at lunch. Grandkids are one of my biggest incentives to get this weight off. I can finally get down on the floor and play with the kids AND I can actually get back up again.
Yes, I remember Jan. I had forgotten or didn't know that she was a chef.. Sounds like a good job to get into if you love cooking but don't want to eat it all. Wish I could afford someone to come in and do that.

Jean - WEIGH TO GO losing all that weight...
Hot showers are such a blessing aren't they? After camping for awhile and sponge bathing, it's sooo nice to get home and take a real shower.

Bubbles - You too. WEIGH TO GO. WOOHOO
That sounds like a good idea about the movies. I think I have heard that I can take slides and have them put on a CD then look at them on the computer.

Well, I got to work awhile ago and I'd better start earning my keep. See y'all later..........
Old 02-06-2003, 01:50 PM   #12  

Hello everyone. I am being a bad girl and eating lunch while posting, but it got hectic this morning. I was supposed to sit for gs only until 9 and take him to Mother's Day out, but it snowed UGH! here about 1/4 inch so of course they think it is a blizzard and closed all the schools. So I am way behind today.

I have lost another 10 lbs yeah. Had to do my two walks in the cold wet rain/snow and soaked my feet which was like walking with weights on today.

Jean: I miss all the old standards as they call them. I know that my generation had some kooky stuff, but the stuff today is so disgusting!

Maggie: I like to watch the Gather homecoming on tv and sing along because I know most of that really old stuff. Many of those singers have passed away, Jd Sumner some of the Goodmans, One of the Blackwood brothers died less than a year ago here in Memphis.

Well, that's all I have to skedaddle and go pick up my contacts.

Donna
Old 02-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #13  
One Day At A Time

Well, I just got back from ww.

lost -1.0

Total -80.0

Happy dancing!!!!!!!!!

Donna - Yeah, a lot of the old singers have passed away. I got to see the Blackwoods a long time ago before some were killed in a plane crash. Howard Goodman just died in Nov. He and his wife Vestal have always been some favorites. I think right now my very favorite is David Phelps, well, maybe, Ivan Parker, then agin it's Guy Penrod. Guess they are all my favorites.
Another 10#.. WOOHOO!!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #14  

Happy Hump Day.

Maggie, our frigid hearts are all bleeding for you having to keep the top up today............NOT! We have snow coming down pretty fast as I type.......almost 4PM. They're forecasting 3-6, but who knows? Our "fluffy school" leader at the hospital called at 2 to say their schools had already been dismissed, so I'd say we're in for it this time. I have to go up to the church and grab some 2 pt. bars to trade with the folks at the hospital, so musn't tarry. I'm out of Diet Coke, and need to stock up on that if we're going to be in tomorrow. Had planned to go to the gym this AM, but my friend conned me into delivering an oil painting to a lady who repairs them who lives beyond forever! It never ceases to amaze me how people ever find these properties in the first place! She said her husband's grandfather had owned it originally. It's probably 30 minutes from the nearest grocery store on a one lane, unpaved road part of the way. It's a good thing I had my cell phone, as the directions we were given were inaccurate. The art restorer is a "hermit"(her words), and when I called her, she had me call her husband at work to get the correct directions! There was still snow and ice drifted up there, where it's been gone for several days in town. Another world. Her only company is one shy, gray cat. Oh, and the deer which are constantly walking across their pasture. There's an old Southern saying, "It's too far from the red eyed gravy for me." and that's the way I feel. Their gas bill must be incredible.

Send that private chef to WV! I'd even meet her half way.

The xray of my feet was to see if the discomfort I'm experiencing is arthritis, and I feel sure it is. She also showed me pretty significant heel spurs on both feet. The tech asked if my heels were sore, but not. My friend with the Rheumatoid says that those of us who were active as kids( I played tournament tennis for several years), just resent the fact that our old bones ain't adoin' what they used to do! Unfortunately, I think she's right on the money.

I'm outta here.
Bubs

PS All your talk about old songs made me remember my grandmother singing "Meet Me In St. Louie, Louie, Meet me at the fair..........." I absolutely loved it.

Later
Old 02-06-2003, 06:38 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow Weigh Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Well as expected the Iron Monster showed me up .6 of a pound today. I cannot eat the amount that WW says I can for my weight and I know that but have to test the waters once in awhile. Back to my tight program to show some positive progress. I have hovered around this same weight long enough. Got my FOCUS right in front of me and am not going to accept any nonsense. Thin Within is back in control and that is how it has to be. My WW leader showed the group that Womans Week article about the Wendie Plan today and we had a bit of discussion about how it works. And **blush** she told the group that the lady mentioned from CA was me.

BUBBLES 30 miles isn't much at all to live from a store. When we were in WY we lived 75 miles away and they had to pack our food in dry ice in the summertime so it would stay at the right temp going home during the summer months. I love living out in the country type paces.

JOYCE I can feel your enthusiasm. I am so jazzed for you! That is great news that you can get up and down from the floor now. Things are looking good aren't they.

DONNA for your reaching another 10 pounds lost. You are moving right along also. Don't you love to see that number shrink and before you know it you will be breaking through that 300 mark. I remember how jazzed I was when I did that.

JEAN how are you surviving the week now? You can breathe now because tomorrow is Friday.

Cowboy just came back driving a friends car...... OH he wanted my car key..... locked his in the car while it was being washed. That is a first! The kid that washes it does a great job and we love having him do it and paying him instead a car wash place for kids can always use the money and we admire ones that want to do the work and pay close attention to what they are doing. So my car always looks nice.

Everyone have a lovely evening. I will be OP.

NOTICE: the next person posting gets to start a new page for this is post number 14.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-06-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Closed Thread