Old 04-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #1  
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 204 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

Default How do you know your goal weight

I started IP in July 2010. I'm 5'6, age 49 and used to weigh 176 pounds. While I was in Phase I my focus was amazing - committed - completely on target. Phase II also went well and I reached 137 pounds.

When I hit 137 pounds, I literally didn't recognize my own body and it kind of freaked me out. First of all, where did my boobs go?!?! ha. I was aware of my own bones when sitting - laying down or putting my elbows on the table - no padding!

I was given the materials and info about Phase III but couldn't get myself to stay on track - I know I needed to lose more than my goal weight so that I would go be ok when I gained back some.

I didn't reach the "finish line" because I didn't ever truly commit to a goal weight. It floated around like an "idea" but not a real goal. Sometimes I would think "yeah, I'd be happy being 140 - or 145 is good - or 137 is great - or 135 seems sooooo skinny!

But now -- after flip-flopping all over the place and feeling lost in my inner turmoil -- I'm floating between 144 and 147 and getting really nervous because I wish I were maintaining at 136-140. Does this mean I would need to get down to 131 or 132?

Sorry I'm all over the place in this post -- you can probably tell I'm feeling a bit lost. My coach wants me to do Phase II for 3 or 4 weeks but unless I can really be sure of what I want I won't be able to take it seriously -- how can I find that place in my mind that says YES THAT'S WHERE I WANT TO BE. It was easy to commit to the diet -- but how do I find and commit to the goal weight?
amyniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

I think you're dealing with the psychological impact of fast weight loss. In reality, goal weight is just a number. That number is determined by a series of calculations, but that doesn't make it right. It's really important to figure out where you feel comfortable and maybe have faith that your body knows what weight to be at when you're eating thoughtfully and healthily.

Doing phase 2 (or 3 or 4) is part of the program. Can you commit to just doing the program for completion and forget about the number?
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

I can relate. I have really struggled with this too. One minute I feel really thin and the next I feel like I need to lower my goal to 140. And the bones! For the longest time, when I would sit down it felt like I had a wallet in my back pocket..........then I finally figured out that it was my bones I was feeling-ha! It hurts sometimes!

I first decided on my goal by just picking the middle of my BMI range. I love this website too www.mybodygallery.com Especially when I was my heaviest, it helped me to visualize what I might look like. I think part of the turmoil is that we might be a healthy weight, but if I could just have this chub go away here, and alittle around the belly yet, etc etc...looking for that "perfect" shape that we thought we would have once thin.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #4  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipityberry View Post
I can relate. I have really struggled with this too. One minute I feel really thin and the next I feel like I need to lower my goal to 140. And the bones! For the longest time, when I would sit down it felt like I had a wallet in my back pocket..........then I finally figured out that it was my bones I was feeling-ha! It hurts sometimes!

I first decided on my goal by just picking the middle of my BMI range. I love this website too www.mybodygallery.com Especially when I was my heaviest, it helped me to visualize what I might look like. I think part of the turmoil is that we might be a healthy weight, but if I could just have this chub go away here, and alittle around the belly yet, etc etc...looking for that "perfect" shape that we thought we would have once thin.
thanks for sharing that website. i think it's really useful to see the range of people at my estimated goal weight. and it made me feel better with the number that i have chosen.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #5  
OneBadGRANDmotherRunner

S/C/G: 152/143/120

Height: 5'

As you can tell from my ticker(s)--a healthy/fit BMI means more to me than the particular number on the scale.

I'm not sure the mental picture I have of myself will ever catch up to what I actually look like (no matter what the scale says). So I have chosen to focus on my BMI and making being fit & healthy my number one goal!

Also I think choosing a weight goal you can realistically maintain and still live life is a good choice too.

My two cents!
NonieRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #6  
Countdown To Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0vingon View Post
I think you're dealing with the psychological impact of fast weight loss. In reality, goal weight is just a number. That number is determined by a series of calculations, but that doesn't make it right. It's really important to figure out where you feel comfortable and maybe have faith that your body knows what weight to be at when you're eating thoughtfully and healthily.

Doing phase 2 (or 3 or 4) is part of the program. Can you commit to just doing the program for completion and forget about the number?
I'm so glad I asked - the responses have been really helpful. I checked out the Body Image site - that's really great - and I've figured out that my frame is medium - and I also agree that I did go through a bit of a shock in how skinny I was at 137. Now that I've had time to get used to being 144 - I think I am ready to commit to Phase 2, 3 and ultimately 4 with a stronger sense of how my body will feel at the healthy weight - I agree that it's not all about the numbers - I think that's where I was getting tangled up. I really appreciate the info and feedback!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #7  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

I found this today and thought it was interesting. I've heard people call the BMI wheel "the wheel of death," and personally I think getting to a healthy BMI for me is quite ridiculous. I weighed 155 in high school and was a 4/6. I would need to weigh 152 to be healthy BMI (and just eeking by at that).

Anyhoo... found this and I'm fascinated. I sure hope it catches on.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20110...uring-body-fat

Last edited by Pxlkitty4; 04-18-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #8  
Candice

S/C/G: 154/140/125

Maybe not being stuck on a number but focusing on how you look would help. I think just trying to get to a certain number could drive someone crazy. If you feel good at the 140 to 145 range, stay there. Just don't get hung up on a number.
Personally, my goal is based on the weight I was at after my first child until I was pregnant with my 2nd. I never quite recovered from that 2nd pregnancy! If I get down to 130 and think that looks good I probably won't go down to 125. We'll see.
candieshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #9  
Awesome Member

S/C/G: 233/214/???

Height: 5 foot 4.75 inches

That website was helpful. I have no idea where to put my goal weight and think very similarly to how you do about it. I see from that sight that 150 is still a little higher than I want to be... so that's a good start. I'm worried about feeling weird too when I'm thin. I've NEVER been anything close to thin so I have no idea what to expect! There are bones in my butt?....just kidding.. :P
snowclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/158/138

Height: 5'7"

That website is fantastic. Thanks for sharing! I may submit some of my pics there. The more pics they have, the better it is! I encourage everyone to take a pic of themselves, today, and submit it. Be honest about weight and size. Where else can you see so many women's bodies and really see what each looks like at each weight (and what size that is). I personally feel very large because I don't wear a size 4 or less like other cute little (short) girls. That site makes me feel better!

I saw your post in the other thread but I somehow felt, uh, afraid to reply? OK, so I have the same issue as you. I did IP from 1/25/10- 4/3/10 and I got to 138 (my goal picked randomly from when I went on thyroid medicine and the "divorce diet" meaning I was so upset I barely ate while going through my divorce). My coaches weren't paying attention and I was naive and thought I had to do what they told me. So I went to phase 2 for 2 weeks and then to phase 3 for 2 weeks. I got down to 131 and it was great but I thought I was a little too skinny. They had no advice about how to pick the goal weight. I think I was a little too skinny at 131. I didn't even mean to lose that much but I'd never done a supervised diet before so I was following what they told me to do. Really I think they weren't paying attention at all!! They told me that they want everyone to go 5 pounds past their goal weight because you gain it back in the first 2 weeks of phase 4 (not true for me, has anyone else been told that by their clinics?).

This time, I am doing IP to fit back into all my favorite clothing and get ready for summer (bikinis, shorts, skirts). That's my goal. Whatever weight it happens to be, so be it. Today my trousers for work fit better and I'm only on Day 6! I will go to phase 3 when I am ready (ie, reached the goal). You can skip from phase 1 to 3 if you want, my coach and one receptionist at the clinic did that and they were just fine. Phase 1 and 2 are pretty much equivalent. Phase 1 with all packets and only 1 cooked protein is what most people need to get initiated into the protocol. But after 2-3 weeks, doing phase 2 until you get to goal is fine too. I say that because I lost more in phase 2 - it jump started my loss, which had been less than 1 pound for about 3 weeks. Just make sure you do 2 full weeks of phase 3! That's the part of this diet that is really important because it will prevent the yo-yo dieting effect. It gets your body used to burning carbs in the a.m. when it is most efficient. I had trouble figuring out what to eat and actually shared a guide I found on here with my coach (he had only started offering the diet when I came on board and we both got to phase 3 at the same time, well me 2 or 3 days ahead of him). I'll post links here when I'm back on my work computer where I have them stored.

But your general goal of 140-136 seems great! Just go until you feel you've lost what you want to lose. Don't be glued to the number. Your health and vitality is more important than any number on a scale!
CinnamonSparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #11  
Countdown To Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonSparkles View Post
They told me that they want everyone to go 5 pounds past their goal weight because you gain it back in the first 2 weeks of phase 4 (not true for me, has anyone else been told that by their clinics?).

But your general goal of 140-136 seems great! Just go until you feel you've lost what you want to lose. Don't be glued to the number. Your health and vitality is more important than any number on a scale!
Cinnamon Sparkles...what a great name! ha. - I was told that I could expect to gain back 2 to 4 pounds and that's been the case for me.

I start Phase I tomorrow and I'm feeling really good about being sure of what I want - I've learned so much and I have a much better grasp on how to prepare for the future.

Last edited by amyniagara; 04-19-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #12  
Countdown To Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowclover View Post
That website was helpful. I have no idea where to put my goal weight and think very similarly to how you do about it. I see from that sight that 150 is still a little higher than I want to be... so that's a good start. I'm worried about feeling weird too when I'm thin. I've NEVER been anything close to thin so I have no idea what to expect! There are bones in my butt?....just kidding.. :P
I agree! I want to send them some pictures too...I'm so amazed at how much it helps to see other people's bodies, body types and weights. I recently found out that I am a MEDIUM frame person - it's interesting how one person can be my height and they are so petite! My frame is just different.

Yes...it's been so long since I didn't have 30-40 extra pounds on me...now I can cross my legs and not have to keep hold of my pant leg to keep it there...now it just stays crossed. ha -
Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #13  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I picked 167 as a nice medium but honestly I want to see what I look like when I get there. I want to get a close to a flat stomach as possible(not sure if I will have extra skin). I always seem to look smaller than I weigh so I don't want to go too small.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #14  
Started IP March 29, 2011

S/C/G: 220/IP:177/**ticker**/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipityberry View Post

Great website! I just loaded a photo to help add to the gallery!
cwphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #15  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

I loaded a pic. I realized 167 may be too much but it's a nice place to see if I need to lose anymore.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote