South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #1  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default How do you determine your goal weight?

I just kind of picked mine randomly because it's the lowest weight that is considered healthy for my height (or so I read somewhere). But I don't want to get overly frustrated if I get within a couple pounds and just can't get there. Obviously you can't go on losing weight forever! I hung out around 150, give or take five pounds here and there, from about 1995-2001. Then after my son was born I went down to 140. After Kadyn was born, I went down to 130 (running after more kids, I guess!). Now I'm around 128 (waiting to weigh until Friday) but I'd still like to lose the last little bit of flabbiness on my belly, so I know that there's still more there to lose.

How do you pick your goal weight?

Kara
Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #2  

I picked mine by figuring out what the exact mid-point of the BMI for my height was. I am the same height as you and that number is 127.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #3  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

Well, anyone with PCOS will understand my frustration but I'll just be happy to get to 165. Once I got down to 170 while DH was deployed but I was also on Glucophage and I really want to avoid taking it again.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I picked a weight 5lbs less then the high ideal weight for me. I really ideally want to get to the low end but want to be realistic in the same respect.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #5  

I meant to add that I picked the midpoint because I have a large frame for my height (broad shoulders, long waist, etc.). I didn't figure that I would be comfortable at the bottom of the BMI. I also recently talked to my aunt, who is shorter than me and who I have always thought of as holding the ideal figure for my body type, and she let me know that her normal weight is around 135. That weight is actually "overweight" for her height according to the BMI. After that conversation I decided that 127 would be my goal, but that if I can't hold that I would be very happy at 135, or even 140 (which is at the top end of my BMI).

I just realized it is really tough for me to accept that I might be 140, because that was my weight in High School when my father offered me money to lose weight. That might be one to let go of though.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/128/120

Height: 5'4

Well, my first time around last year, I selected 125 which was roughly middle of the bmi range for my height. I met that goal and I think I could have safely and easily dropped another 5 - 10 and looked better. So this time around, I'm shooting for 120 and once I get there, I decide if that's good or if I want to adjust.

My thought is to pick something you know you can attain, perhaps mid - high bmi range if you're using that as a guide. Then, once you get there, you can always decide to go lower. Cuts down on the frustration potential in my mind....
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #7  

I think I just decided to change my goal to 140. After some checking I realized that is within my BMI healthy range. But the really big thing is that it is symbolic to me. I'll see where I am then and possibly decide to lose more, but wow, I just had a huge paradigm shift. Thanks for bringing this up!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #8  
Visualizing the Goal

No rule that says you can't have a second goal after you reach your first! In fact, it might help your motivation to have achieved a large goal before going on to lose more.

You're on your way!

Kara
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 360/354/250

Height: 5'11

I chose my weight goal because I figured I wanted to go back to the weight I was prior to getting pregnant (11yrs ago). I figure once I get to 250lbs I may get the nerve to go for a 2nd goal of 180lbs. We'll see how it goes, I'll just take it one day at a time
Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I picked mine because it was exactly 100 pounds less that my starting weight - not very scientific! But it also seems like it's a good weight for me, not shooting too low. Once I get there I might want to lose a little more, but I'll figure that out as I go!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #11  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Mine is five pounds more than I weighed when I got married. Why not the weight I was at when I got married? Well I know my body has changed since having three kids, and it may not be healthy for me to be at that low of a weight now. I also know I will have loose skin when I lose the weight and that will add some pounds. So... that's my goal. But really, just losing weight at all (seeing the scale go in the OTHER direction for a change!) is my real goal!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Does anyone know what kind of places do those body fat calculations so that you can get an accurate bmi. I have a large bone frame I mean I weigh over 200lbs and you can still see my bones. I always thought that those bmi charts weren't based on all body types or could be more accurate. I know that you can calculate body fat with calipers? but I mean something more accurate.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #13  
Visualizing the Goal

I wonder if you could get a referral through your physician to one of those places that do the underwater measurements? What if you contacted some nutritionists in your area and asked them?

Just throwing some ideas out. I really have no true answer.

Kara
Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

DH is in the military, so I highly doubt they will refer me anywhere. We've been stationed in GA for less than a year so I'm still not completely familiar with this area. I'm originally from Hawai'i. I was thinking like names of companies who do that type of service or if anyone has had it done.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #15  
Visualizing the Goal

Should've figured it out from you living at Ft. Gordon!

I've been able to see a nutritionist a couple times on Tricare. Once because my son had a whole bunch of food allergies, and another time just because I wanted an opinion on whether I was eating healthy. I don't know if they'd have any better options for figuring out an accurate BMI for you, though. Couldn't hurt to ask your PCM.

Good luck!

Kara
Closed Thread