Exercise! - December running!

View Full Version : December running!

matt_H
11-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Tomorrow starts a new month and a new month of running! Being in cold Boston, it will be particularly difficult with the snow and ice, but I'll make it through. I'm going to invest in some taktrax and hopefully that will allow me to progress and keep running outside.

So what are your goals for the month? Anybody training for a race? I have a 5K scheduled in December but at this point, the 3 miles are a piece of cake ;)

My goal for December is to continue to increase my miles. Right now I only run 3 days a week and usually less than 10 - 12 miles a week. By the end of December I hope to be running 15-16 miles a week and have my "long" run be in the 7-8 mile range.

Slim CB
11-30-2010, 11:02 AM
So what are your goals for the month? Anybody training for a race? I have a 5K scheduled in December but at this point, the 3 miles are a piece of cake ;)

One day I will be able to say that Matt :)

I hope to join in here as the other thread that I was on has gotten pretty quiet lately. I am by no means a runner like you are and have recenlty started the C25K program. I am currently at Week 5, having just completed W5D1 yesterday. Looking forward to getting inspiration from all you runners here as I train to start running 5ks in January. Where I live, we have them pretty often, at least once a month - sometimes there are even 3 5ks per month.

So my goal for December - to complete the C25K program so that I will be able to complete a 5K come January 2011

Dyeral
11-30-2010, 11:42 AM
I've starting running on the treadmill for the past month and a half. My body still isn't used to it entirely. So my goal is to be able to run 2 miles without holding onto the sides at all. I can do the first 10 mins without holding on and then the remaining time I alternate between the two. Any tips to overcome this would be greatly appreciated!

wheresanita
11-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Well, my goal for the month of December is to run 3x/week. I am currently participating in a rowing challenge with my husband and I work nights..but...we have a running event coming up the 1st weekend in January so I have to get some miles in this month!

Anita

Eliana
11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Slim CB, completing the C25K is a huge goal! It is such a tremendous accomplishment to have made it to week 5! I remember the day I completed my first 5K on the treadmill. I honestly expected confetti. :D Imagine my surprise when the machine just kept chugging. LOL!

I pick up running every now and then as my "extra" activity...the activity that's going to BUDGE these pounds! :dizzy: It's not my favorite thing to do but I am still so proud to be able to do it. I'm not likely to run more than 4 miles, but my goal for December is to run hills (maybe a 4.0 incline) at a 5.3 clip for more than two miles. This morning I did it at 5.0 and was exhausted after two miles. I can run four miles on a flat road.

My lungs do not like cold weather running and never, ever have. :no: Even as a little girl whose feet were never still, I did not like running in the cold. So it's the treadmill for me. :D

Pint Sized Terror
11-30-2010, 02:23 PM
I see I probably should've posted here to join, LOL.

My goals for the month are to be able to run for 10 minutes straight. After that, I want to be able to run for 20 minutes. :D

I am slowly building back up to being able to run at all. So far I can only run in 60 second intervals with 2min brisk walking in between. Running for 10 minutes without pain seems like a dream.

Slim CB
11-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Slim CB, completing the C25K is a huge goal! It is such a tremendous accomplishment to have made it to week 5! I remember the day I completed my first 5K on the treadmill. I honestly expected confetti. :D Imagine my surprise when the machine just kept chugging. LOL!

This cracked me up!!! LOL!!

joyfulloser
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
My goal this month is to be able to run 5 miles!!! Awwwhhh...no confetti?:mad: LOL!

I'm up to 3.1 miles. I know I can do at least 3 1/2 miles, but I'm recovering from knee pain/injury so didn't want to push it today and activate the pain i had in my left knee last week...

Will try for 3 1/2 miles on Thursday. Have also cut down my running to 3 days a week...to be kind of my knees:) I do weights and other cardio the other 2 days and 1 rest day.

Welcome ladies/gents...looking forward to productive month! I LOVE RUNNING...WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!:carrot:

Question??? How long should I wait before adding hills? Should I go for miles first and then add in hills? I just started doing intervals...so don't wanna move to fast. Thanks

ncuneo
11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey you cheated - starting the thread on November 30th! I was waiting thinking...maybe I'll be quick enough to start this months thread:)

This month I plan to keep up my milage at 15-20 miles per week. I have a lot of trips planned and lots of new places to run so that's exciting. Last week I logged in 25 miles with the gym being closed on Thursday so that was a big accomplishment. I debating right now on whether or not to run the local half marathon in February. It's not a very nice route and I just finished my first on the 14th so I wanted to take a training break and focus on lifting a little heavier, but I'd also like to run a full in 2012, so getting in a few 1/2s next year might be good. Who knows, the possibilities are endless now!

Happy running everyone!

wheresanita
11-30-2010, 07:08 PM
OK, I'm starting December today!~
I ran 5K in 32min..thats pretty swift for me..with no walk breaks..1st time in months! Run twice more this week and I'm 1/5th of the way to meeting my December goal :-)

matt_H
11-30-2010, 10:02 PM
I did cheat...sorry.

I promise you can start the next months thread ncuneo! ;)

flatfoot
11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
My goal is to stick to my 5k training plan and to PR on New Year's Day.

krampus
11-30-2010, 11:19 PM
I ran about 5.5 miles last night, took me almost exactly an hour. I'm slow but I'm getting a little faster! I want to go again tonight but my knees and legs are still feeling the burn from yesterday and I'm worried it will be one of those "I can't do this at all" runs where I stop after 5-10 minutes because it feels so bad.

milmin2043
11-30-2010, 11:20 PM
I am running 3-4 miles per day with 1 day off running per week. I am training to run the Rock N Roll 1/2 Marathon in Dallas on 3/27/11.

At first, the idea seemed ridiculous, but now that I am running this distance every day, it seems doable.

I was training to run the Dallas White Rock Marathon 12 years ago when I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. After 2 brain surgeries and a stroke last year, I thought I would never run again. Then I saw a program where Michael J. Fox could still ice skate as though he didn't have PD. I started slowly running again in August of this year, and now I feel as though there is no stopping me. My biggest fear is that my brain pacemaker batteries will give out while I am training and screw up my schedule. I am due to have rechargeable batteries placed on this next surgery, and those will last 8-9 years. Right now my batteries are only lasting 1-2 years. :(

There is hope that we can all do anything we set our minds to. Take it from me. We can all do this!

wickedlady
11-30-2010, 11:24 PM
I think this week will be the first time I hit 20 miles for the week. Woo! I plan on sticking with around that all month. And I think I will run a 5k in a few weeks.

matt_H
12-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Wow awesome run Krampus! 5.5 miles!

What a inspiring story Milmin!!!

Tonight (Wednesday) I hope to run 3 miles. Since I'm in NY Friday and Saturday I hope to run tonight and Sunday. I want to aim for 10 miles this week and I already did 4 miles on Monday. So 3 miles tonight and 3 miles on Sunday. Next week, I'll probably aim for 11 or 12 miles in total.

If I feel like running more tonight I will. I'm not really that concerned at this stage about going over the "10%" each week increment. I think I could probably jump to running a bit more already with a minimum base run of 3 miles per run.

thesame7lbs
12-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Hi everyone!

What a treat to wake up on Dec 1 and find the December Running thread is already on page 2! :D

I think I'm doing a 5K this weekend (as in, I haven't registered yet). If I do get around to registering, my goal will be 25 minutes.

I have been reminded this week why it is so hard for me to stick to an exercise schedule during the winter. Rainy and really windy outside, and my son is too sick to go to the gym. Yep, I know, I can do a video in the basement or something, but a) it's not running, and b) I hate videos in the basement.

Dyeral, how fast are you running? My advice would be to slow down that second mile a bit and see if that helps. If you're already at the slowest possible jog speed, try just extending your "hands free" time by 30 seconds each day. Like, if you can make it to 12 minutes today, try to make it to 12:30 next time, and 13:00 the time after that, etc. So much of running is psychological -- if you set a concrete goal for a small improvement, you will often find you can do it -- you just had to make yourself do it.

Ncuneo, I'm telling you -- San Diego Rock n Roll 2012! I will be there -- will you?

Milmin, thank you so much for the inspiring words. You remind me that I have no excuse to sit on the couch and not use my body to its greatest potential. I need to be grateful for what I've been given and demonstrate that gratitude by honoring myself.

flatfoot
12-01-2010, 08:32 AM
It is ice rink conditions here this morning, so back to the treadmill. There is not quite enough snow to run with my screw shoes - they tend to feel funny and clack really loudly without at least an inch or so on the ground.

I can definitely feel yesterday's run in my abs. Everything else feels good and lose.

Great stories people. Makes my morning litany of excuses seem pretty insubstantial.

joyfulloser
12-01-2010, 08:43 AM
WOW MIlmin...don't know how I missed your post...your right WE CAN DO THIS!!! Way to go...and hoping for a great finish for you in your next 1/2 marathon!:hug:

Jojo381972
12-01-2010, 11:01 AM
This thread is inspiring. Congrats to all your successes! :)

I'm working up the to the 5km mark. Currently, I'm doing the C25k program and am starting week 4. I used to run 5km but I'm trying to build back up to it. It is so easy to lose it if you stop for any length of time. I want to be able to do a 5km next spring. Happy Running everyone!

wfonseca3017
12-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi every one jumping in here ..

I star running this spring , I did my only and first race on sep 26 , a half marathon I did great , my goal was not walking , and did , on 2:18 min.
Then, i read that you need to take a rest , 1 or 2 weeks , what a really bad mistake , that break turn into 2 months , i ran just like 3 days in total , in those 2 days, so i want to go back , planning to do another half on may ...

My question here is ... how , what do i need to run on winter , I live in Toronto and i not treadmill ...

Thanks for the answers.

vdander24
12-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Can I join if I am not yet technically running?
I am NOT running yet, and I just started walking. I am definitely on the C part of the C25k. HOWEVER, I need to have something I am walking FOR, otherwise it seems kind of pointless, so I am signed up for my first 5k on Feb. 6th at the Rosebowl. I don't even know if that is enough time, but I figure I gotta start somewhere!

ncuneo
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Burrrr! 37 degree 4.5 miler this am! I know 37 is a cake walk to you east coasters, but for this so cal girl it was like running on Popsicles!

My thermal Nike gear and gloves do the trick for cold weather, but I think Toronto gets quite a bit colder than here, but something similar should get you through the winter.

flatfoot
12-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I run outside year round and I think out temperatures are pretty similar to Toronto. I use a mishmash of thermal gear. I also have a good set of wind proof pants and jacket for those truly awful days. I have a deal with myself that if it is below -5 F (which is about -20 C) I run on a treadmill. The hardest part is keeping your hands and nose warm and not overdressing and getting sweaty. I use lots of layers.

Also essential DIY screw shoes for those icy sidewalks. I cannot post the link since I have not posted enough, but just google screw shoes and the instructions from competitive runner will be one of the first listings.

wickedlady
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Wow awesome run Krampus! 5.5 miles!

What a inspiring story Milmin!!!

Tonight (Wednesday) I hope to run 3 miles. Since I'm in NY Friday and Saturday I hope to run tonight and Sunday. I want to aim for 10 miles this week and I already did 4 miles on Monday. So 3 miles tonight and 3 miles on Sunday. Next week, I'll probably aim for 11 or 12 miles in total.

If I feel like running more tonight I will. I'm not really that concerned at this stage about going over the "10%" each week increment. I think I could probably jump to running a bit more already with a minimum base run of 3 miles per run.

If you have a chance to run in NY, DO IT!!! Central park is one of my favorite places in the world to run!

matt_H
12-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Welcome Vdander!

I'd love to run in Central Park! I might get lost though and I think our hotel is not that close. If I'm able to wake up wicked early and allow my friend to sleep in some I might be able to do it.

So, tonight run. It was only 2.6 miles. I was hoping for at least a 5k and I could have easily have done it. Now for my rationalizing of coming up short on my goal:

1) It was cold and pouring rain.
2) I didn't want to go too far over my running miles for the week if I'm going to do my long run on Sunday.
3) I stopped at the bottom of the hill of the street to my apartment. If I kept running I'd have gone further away from my place..

Excuses excuses...the bottom line is I felt fine and should have done the rest of my run. Sunday I want to run for at least 5 miles. I'd have taken 3 days off (if I don't run in NY) and I'd be well rested. I'd then hit my goal of running over 11 miles for the week.

joyfulloser
12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
WoW Matt!!! You run in the RAIN??? Yowzers...and I thought I LOVED running...apparently not as much as I thought! LOL!

Way to GO!!! Now's that's commitment!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

krampus
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Rain. Looks like I won't be running until Sunday...that makes 1 run this week which is no bueno. I need to pick it up and run more than 2x a week!

twinmommaplusone
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I am tapering this month, so only about 60 miles.
I have a 5k on December 11, not sure I'll break my last PR- 27:50 that still has me impressed, LOL> Marathon Training Starts January 3rd! Woot, Woot!:carrot:

twinmommaplusone
12-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I've starting running on the treadmill for the past month and a half. My body still isn't used to it entirely. So my goal is to be able to run 2 miles without holding onto the sides at all. I can do the first 10 mins without holding on and then the remaining time I alternate between the two. Any tips to overcome this would be greatly appreciated!

A few key things to remember-

Make sure you fuel prior to the start of your run, it will help sustain with your body using those calories for fuel in the beginning of your run, it's like priming an engine before you start it!

When you hit that transition mark where you start to feel week after mile 1....some experience anywhere between mile 1 and mile 2 that's because your body is making that shift change, it's noticing that you need to break that sweat, cool the body down, search and start using reserved fuel and that weakness point of the run is when you start to hang on. Instead try to taper down on your speed. So if you are jogging a 5.0 for ten minutes and feel that need to hold on, avoid it! Instead drop your speed down say 4.8 and see if that helps, if not drop it again slowly in small increments till you feel yourself comfortable. when you have given yourself five minutes at this stage pop that speed back up to 5.0 and run it to the finish.

My best advice for ya! Good luck!

ange82much
12-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Blimey - how busy is this thread all of a sudden?! Great to see lots of runners out there.

My next race is a trail race up a big hill (and back again) a week on sunday and is 13.2km apparently! I've not run in that area before so i don't know anything about the course.

Trouble is i've not run at all for about 10 days now, although i was doing well before then. I've just been working about 14hrs a day including weekends and it's moderate-excercise work too so that's been enough and i haven't felt like doing more and have generally been slack-arsed.

My second excuse is the opposite of most here - it's been high 90'sF temp here this week and i'm not used to it yet!

milmin2043
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
All of you inspire me!
Running is an addiction for me that I absolutely love. I would rather run than any other type of exercise. I have to remind myself not to overdo it.

The biggest problem that I am having right now is getting this last stubborn 30 lbs. off. I just know that I would be able to run like the wind (j/k) if I was 30 lbs. lighter.

My big plan is to eventually train to run a few marathons and then I would like to write a diet/exercise book for people with Parkinson's. Changing to whole foods has changed my disease and invariably my life. I want to share that with as many people as possible.

Thank you for all of the inspiration from each of you.

flatfoot
12-01-2010, 11:50 PM
milmin: I would totally read your book.

Tomorrow is a rest day for me. I swear, rest days give me itchy feet.

thesame7lbs
12-02-2010, 08:07 AM
flatfoot, you might try some lotrimin for those feet. :rofl: Sorry, couldn't help myself. Seriously woman, I can't believe you run in St. Paul during the winter.

Matt, I'm impressed you run in the cold rain. I'll run in a warm rain, in fact I love it, but I avoid cold rain like the plague. Brrrr!

Wickedlady, I love Central Park! I ran around the reservoir there with a friend a couple years ago. Just a few weeks ago, I picked up a cute running T with what is undeniably the "skyline" you see during that run -- those incredibly expensive buildings surrounding the park.

Ange, your weather sounds much better to me!

Wfonseca, I wear all "wicking" clothes when I run. I thought it was important for the summer, but I think it is even more important in the winter, so you don't get cold and clammy. I buy a lot of my workout clothes at Target (their C9 brand is pretty good) and at a local discount athletic wear store. I don't know if you have TJMaxx there, but I hear they have good deals, too. Also, LLBean and Lands End have exercise gear. Just be sure to not wear a cotton shirt or socks right next to your skin, because once they're wet they stay wet!

So I registered for the 5K Saturday morning. I am thinking about going to athletic yoga on Friday. Last time I went it left me incredibly sore all over my body -- but I ran my best-ever 10K two days later. So maybe it's my good-luck charm. :D

Eliana
12-02-2010, 08:32 AM
The biggest problem that I am having right now is getting this last stubborn 30 lbs. off. I just know that I would be able to run like the wind (j/k) if I was 30 lbs. lighter.

Tell me about it! :dizzy: LOL! I've heard the last 10 were hard, but these last 30 have been monstrous! And I have a very realistic goal, just 10 pounds into healthy BMI!

I ran treadmill hills today. The time went so fast, which is good because my lungs were working HARD! I love running intervals. It keeps my mind fresh. Every two minutes I increased the incline 1% up to 5% and then every two minutes decreased back down again. Then I walked two minutes and did the cycle again only in one minute increments. I repeated one more time for a total of 40 minutes. It was great! But wow, hills are so hard for me. I can still sputter out phrases at 3% incline but I'm not talking to anyone at 4% and 5%.

joyfulloser
12-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Going for 3 1/2 miles this morning...:)

It will be an increase of 1/2 mile. I always go by how I'm feeling while I'm running, so I'm really hoping to get into the "ZONE"! I'll let you all know it went! BTW, I'm really sore from playing this new game I got "Wii Just Dance 2"...Oh my was that a workout!

Have a great morning everyone!:)

Eliana
12-02-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm really hoping to get into the "ZONE"!

By the way, how long does this take for most of you? I find the first four minutes of any run to be absolute torture. Also it's the one thing I DON'T like about intervals. If I allow myself to walk it's really hard to get running again.

Slim CB
12-02-2010, 10:53 AM
W5D2.......complete! And guess what I burst into tears when I was done! Totally did not expect that! It's a good thing I was on the road and it was still dark so no one saw me. I guess I was surprised that I have come this far.

Eliana
12-02-2010, 11:16 AM
W5D3 is the 20 minute run, right? That's a major milestone! Once you climb over that one, you are good to go!! It's more mental than physical now. ;)

Slim CB
12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
W5D3 is the 20 minute run, right? That's a major milestone! Once you climb over that one, you are good to go!! It's more mental than physical now. ;)

Not quite....its the 2 sets of 8min runs - the longest I have ever run before. W5D3 is next!

twinmommaplusone
12-02-2010, 12:06 PM
1 mile at 6.0 then ran some intervals for the next mile. Bouncing between 6.0 and 8.0 on the treadmill today. Got myself a headache, still in recovery mode from last week's Strep.

Run On!

joyfulloser
12-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Ok folks...I MADE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! I ran 3.5 miles...and walked .2 miles (warmup) for a total of 3.7 miles!!! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'm so excited...now I hope I can keep it up!:)

By the way, how long does this take for most of you? I find the first four minutes of any run to be absolute torture. Also it's the one thing I DON'T like about intervals. If I allow myself to walk it's really hard to get running again.

It's funny you should ask....I was just thinking during the first 5 minutes of my run, "wow..I can remember when I was working up to 5 mins. now it's barely a warm-up for me"..lol! It usually takes me about 2 miles to enter into "THE ZONE"...that place where time/space don't exist...it's just YOU, an OPEN MIND and FREEDOM! haha..I guess that's a bit "dramatic", but I guess you can simply call it a "second wind" in which things just get alot easier!:carrot: I agree about stopping, I don't walk, but sometimes I stop to get my water bottle and even though it's literally 2 secs, its hard to start up again...I HATE THAT!!!!:mad:

W5D2.......complete! And guess what I burst into tears when I was done! Totally did not expect that! It's a good thing I was on the road and it was still dark so no one saw me. I guess I was surprised that I have come this far.

WOW...that's GREAT!!!!!! Congrats...just think...only a few more minutes and you'll be running your fist straight MILE!!!! Glad to hear you hung in there!;) Woot...woot!:carrot::carrot:

1 mile at 6.0 then ran some intervals for the next mile. Bouncing between 6.0 and 8.0 on the treadmill today. Got myself a headache, still in recovery mode from last week's Strep.

Whoa..strep last week and your running this week...AND at those speeds (which at this point my brain cannot imagine for myself..lol)...that's AMAZING! Yes, indeed...RUN ON!!!:carrot:

wheresanita
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Week 1, Run #2 complete...3.5 miles in a blazing (not!) 35 minutes.. I am a fairly consistent 10-minute-miler. I have no real interest in going faster. I just like to run at a pace that feels good and that's always about a 10 minute mile. Today was a beautiful day in S. Florida...68 degrees, sunny and clear with just a light breeze. While I don't envy any of you that run in the very cold weather I have to say that I absolutely dread running in Florida in the summer...85-95 degrees with high humidity..ugh...so I relish days like today.

Anita

matt_H
12-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Awesome runs everyone!!!

The weather here is nice today and I think I'm going to leave work early and do a bit of shopping for my trip tomorrow. I'm debating going out for a brief run of 2 or 3 miles since I'll still have Friday and Saturday off from running. I'll let you all know tonight if I do.

Happy running!

krampus
12-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Look at everyone and their running victories! Really inspiring to read. I ripped off a toenail last night so probably no running until next week...but it's Friday, so that's not so bad. I generally don't run on the weekends anyway.

I'd like to set a "mileage" goal of 12 miles a week.

Eliana The beginning is the hardest for me too. I feel all lactic acid-y and sluggish for the first 15-20 minutes and then it's smooth sailing from there to anywhere from 45-60 minutes total.

joyfulloser I'm with you on "THE ZONE." The first 1-2 miles SUUUCK. Congrats on your mileage!!!!!!

BabyBoop
12-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Can I join? I am fairly new to running. I started running in July and LOVE it! Unfortunatley, I have let things get in the way of this awesome time for myself. I am going to re-start the C25K program tomorrow. I could kick myself because I was up to a mile & a half at a time, but feel like I probably need to start back at square one. Hope to get to know all of you experienced runners better.

jamsk8r
12-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Wow, busy thread already! :wave: to everyone!

Did 8.4 miles yesterday, my longest run since last summer. Totally jacked up the pacing since I didn't take a watch. Thought I was starting out too fast, so slowed down, ended up going too slow, but didn't realize that till I got back to the truck and checked the time. Next time I'll wear a watch and make sure I'm not draggin my feet! Still, it was a nice trail run through the Xmas tree farms, and it wasn't raining for once. :D

vdander24
12-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Finished my first C25K workout yesterday evening. What I am surprised about is that I am walking without a ton of pain today! I did extra stretching last night, but I was still worried. I CAN'T WAIT to be where you all are!

joyfulloser
12-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Finished my first C25K workout yesterday evening. What I am surprised about is that I am walking without a ton of pain today! I did extra stretching last night, but I was still worried. I CAN'T WAIT to be where you all are!

That's AWESOME!!!:carrot:

You will be...sooner than you think (if you keep at it). I started only 11 weeks ago at 209lbs and was only able to run 30 secs, walk 2 mins and repeat for 20 mins. Now I run 5K's 3-4 times a week! Actually...made an all time high yesterday at 3 1/2 miles...WOOT!:carrot:

Point is...you've got it in you....just stick with it...you'll have days that you feel you can run forever...then you'll have days when you don't want to even get out of bed. Remember...it's NOT how much you can do in 1 day...it's how many DAYS you can do it!;)

twinmommaplusone
12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm like that informercial "Set it and Forget it" LOL. I really was going to run outside, but it's so much easier with the kids to get our runs done at the same time on the treadmill at the gym (my husband and I) Set it 6.0 and forget till I hit 2.5 miles where I threw it up to 6.5 till 2.8miles and then jacked it up to 7.0 to really use those fast twitch muscles. I have been busy working on my speed that I really need to crank out and LR this weekend. Not my Normal 8-10 miles because I was sick last week with Strep and really dont want to over-push myself. I think I will aim for 6 -7 and be happy with that considering.Hoping that Sunday I can get out there in my Cold Gear and do a great street run!

Happy Running Folks. Not sure what tomorrow brings for me. I may take it as a rest day for all exercise before my LR on Sunday.

flatfoot
12-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Lovely snowfall that I can see out my office window. This means that tomorrow I get to run outside.

thesame7lbs
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Just got home from a Santa Shuffle 5K -- and my 24:28 was good enough for an age group prize! 3rd place 35-39-yr-old women. Small races are good. :D

wheresanita
12-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Cool weather here in Florida - working tonight (night shift is unpleasant!), so my goal is a nice run tomorrow afternoon after I wake up! That will be my 3 fo week 1 :-)

Anita

flatfoot
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Heading out soon for a lovely snowy afternoon run.

My sister ran the half in Las Vegas this morning. I have been watching the finish camera, and one thing that I love about it is that even now there are still people proudly crossing the finish line of the half. One of my barriers as a marathon and half marathon runner is by self consciousness about speed. I worry less about my ability to finish (I know that with the training in the bank I totally can), but instead about what people may think about how slow I am. Foolish thoughts and the folks crossing the line right now after 4.75 hours finished that race every bit as much as the people who crossed the line two hours ago. Good to remind myself of that. That is not to say that I should stop pushing to get faster, but that the effort is not for other people but for myself.

diornotwar
12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
jumping right in! after a completely off plan day yesterday, i knew i needed to get to the gym today. i ran 5 miles at 6.5mph..only took a few walk breaks. finished in about 50 minutes. i really want to work on my distance, but i find after about 3 miles i can't stop looking at the time/distance on the treadmill! i get so bored..but if i run outside i stop every few minutes? not sure why.

krampus
12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Yesterday I was feeling hideous after eating junk the night before, so I got up and got myself out running around 11 am. I hate running in daylight and always feel I can go faster and further at night, but I ended up having a really pleasant run. I went a different route than usual which was very scenic and even ran on some fieldy cemetery/farm plots. Total was only 4-4.5 miles but it was nice to know that daytime runs are not impossible. Perhaps coffee was the magic touch.

I really want to run again today but it's supposed to rain. Maybe I'll go all matt_h and run in the cold rain. ;)

matt_H
12-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Tonight is BRUTALLY cold. Like artic tundra type cold. I wish I had some magic type of running clothes that are not too bulky and that I either won't freeze to death or burn up after starting to run.

I know I should get out there tonight and run, but the thought of it is just not that plesant to me.

Jojo381972
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
^Go in the buff! You won't feel a thing ;). That cold weather will make its way up here soon enough. Do you ever run on the treadmill, Matt?

--
Running in week four of the C25k for the next few days, and then onto week five. The program is an excellent way to build up to the 5km. I hope to be there in another month or so. :)

krampus
12-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Well, the weather reports were (as they often are) wrong and it didn't rain. It was quite cool with a breeze which kept me clipping along at a good pace. Went 4 miles or so, 45 minutes with only a couple little walks.

My knees feel a little strained, so I think tomorrow I'll opt for a different kind of cardio.

flatfoot
12-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Today's run ended up being an hour of cross country skiing instead. The snow was just too irresistible. Nighttime skiing with friends = glorious.

Slim CB
12-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I did it!!!!!!! W5D3 of the C25K program - running 20mins straight. I did it!!! I had to pinch myself this morning to make sure that it was actually me who had run this morning!

Eliana
12-07-2010, 08:40 AM
20 minutes straight! Wahoo! That is the workout to fear! It actually gets easier again after that one. It seems oddly placed in the program.

I decided to go through C25K again to work on speed. I can run 4 miles without resting at 5.0 but would like to run at 6.0. I was surprised at how hard it was! I did week four running at 6.0. It wasn't nearly as hard as the first time through the program though. In fact after completing the program as written I continued running but backed down to 5.0. I never could have done that my first time through!

twinmommaplusone
12-07-2010, 08:51 AM
4 mile clip in 39:10.

Sat. was a schedule rest day, Sunday Was NOT! But the NY weather storms are kicking my ability to street run and that's where I like to do my LR's. I suppose I could go beyond 5 miles on the treadmill, likely will have to this week to ensure my LR, I can't go one more week without at least an 8 miler.

Today is Spin- and debating on running too, likely not....because I always go to Pilates after Spin on Tuesdays.

Happy Running

twinmommaplusone
12-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I did it!!!!!!! W5D3 of the C25K program - running 20mins straight. I did it!!! I had to pinch myself this morning to make sure that it was actually me who had run this morning!

Congratulations!:carrot:

mkroyer
12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
well, after not running 1 step since October 17th, the running bug bit me yesterday, and i laced up for a "quick" 6 miles.... well, not THA quick (about 49 minutes) but im still pleased to know that running is there, waiting for me, whenever i am ready to embrace it....

onn a funnier, side note--- was thinking of giong for a run this morning, but i ended up getting locked in my bathroom for 45 minutes!!!

The door knob jammed! Uggghhh, it was AWFUL. You try talking a 10 year old little girl through removing a door knob on the other side! lol!!! "No no-- its RIGHTY-TIGHTY, lefty-LOOSEY!"
ended up calling my brother over to remove the whole door

anyway, prob good that i didnt run.... im putting the shoes away again

ncuneo
12-07-2010, 10:08 PM
6 miles in 49 mins, MK you're much too modest:) I'm glad see you around, I've been wondering about you lately. I've got to go back and catch up on this thread, I've been uber busy lately and life's been extremely stressful lately. We're moving and I'm concerned that I'll have to make the switch to treadmill running because I won't be comfortable running at 5 am in our new neighborhood, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I missed my run yesteday, but made up for it today with a 3 miler. I'll get a little extra running this week because I'm not going to be able to hit the gym in the pm because we be looking for a new place, so I'll have to get it in in the morning.

Anyway hope everyone has a great week!

joyfulloser
12-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Anyone hear about Kelly Rippa? Stress fracture on hip. Out for 6 weeks!:o She runs 6 miles 5days/wk plus all this other stuff. Makes me wonder if it's really safe to run everyday. My mind wants to, but I'm scared of injury. Anyone here run everyday? Any injuries??? oh what to do...what to do????

mkroyer
12-08-2010, 10:12 AM
ive run through 3 stress fractures actually, definitely a result of running everyday, no recovery, and inadequate nutrition.......

Ncueno-- the neighboorhood where i used to run was REALLY a bad part of town... suprisingly at 5 am not too many people are out, and if you stay on the main roads that are well lit, you prob wont have any problems... OR you could try wearing all black and sticking to darker, less travelled streets, and hope to remain UNSEEN---- this was a tactic ive used, actually..... its too cold here to run early anymore... ive turned into a big ol baby

ncuneo
12-08-2010, 08:00 PM
you could try wearing all black and sticking to darker, less travelled streets, and hope to remain UNSEEN

Man my husband would kill me! He was buying me some new winter gear and I begged for black tops, no way!

The house we're looking at right now, may just save me. I so hoping we get it because I HATE the treadmill and am really freaking out about it. It's just close enough to the main streets that I think I could make it there without getting mugged :)

twinmommaplusone
12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Another 3 in the bag.

matt_H
12-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Confession.

I haven't been running at all for the past week :(

It is so cold here. I need to post here to force myself to run TONIGHT no matter how cold it is. I probably won't do a long run, but even just 2 or 3 miles would be good to get back into it after taking this amount of time off.

wfonseca3017
12-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Happily reporting ... i went running two nights ago , it was -8 ... was not that bad after all.

My DH join a Gym , so if he is not going tonight i will go running today .... And i got my Christmas present a treadmill is arriving here on January 6 ... so yea.

Matt : i want to see you posting your tonight running , so i beat you to go and do a 3 or 2 Mills tonight. ( It may be the only way for me to force myself)

Ncuneo : what about the treadmill running .... you do not like it ... i hope i can enjoy my treadmill as much as I enjoy my outside run. ( I have 3 kids so I want to be able to run inside while they are sleeping in the morning.)

matt_H
12-10-2010, 04:52 PM
hey wfonseca,

You are on...lets both go running tonight! I'll post sometime tonight on how I did. :)

BTW, it is 20F here. BURRRR.

I'm going to bundle up and wear maybe two pair of sweatpants and like 2 hoodies.

midwife
12-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Hmmm....I'll commit to a run, too. It's about 50 here so I have no excuse!

wfonseca3017
12-10-2010, 05:03 PM
OK Deal .... my DH just call he is going early to the gym , so i will have time later on.

See you later .....:)

ncuneo
12-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Wfonseca - I Loath the treadmill. Not as much as I used to, but if I can choose between the streets and the treadmill I ALWAYS choose the streets. The treadmill is so boring. The only thing I like about it is that I always run faster on a treadmill because I can push myself and I know how fast I'm going.

ETA: Forgot to share my milage this week. 3 on Tuesday, 4 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday and 4 today. I've been without access to the gym because we're in the middle of moving, so I've been getting in some extra running. Sunday I hope to do 8-10.

matt_H
12-10-2010, 08:21 PM
WHOOHOOO!

I'm so glad I posted here to keep me accountable :). If I didn't post here, I'm sure I would have skipped the run.

Tonight I did 3 miles in the brutal cold. I have to say the first mile SUCKED. Breathing in the cold air made my lungs scream in pain. After that first mile I think I warmed up enough that I was able to keep going.

wfonseca3017
12-11-2010, 12:50 AM
I am glad , i post too... I was faling sleep whit my baby ant them i thougt i have to go running i made a deal whit Matth ... so yea i did 2.5 miles .... thaks Matth i onw this 2.5 miles to you :)

wickedlady
12-11-2010, 09:11 AM
well, my last few weeks have been kinda rough and low on the mileage. I am in school and going through finals... I have had to skip a few runs. I am still getting in at least 2 or 3 runs a week though. Then, I was laid off from my job on Thursday! :( Came as a total shock, kind of reeling over this. But I am planning on throwing myself into my running and enjoying some midday winter runs while I look for work.

cheryl126
12-11-2010, 12:31 PM
You guys are all so inspiring and are definitely motivating me to get out there!

Tonight I did 3 miles in the brutal cold. I have to say the first mile SUCKED. Breathing in the cold air made my lungs scream in pain. After that first mile I think I warmed up enough that I was able to keep going.

You're braver than I am! I live in Boston too and it's been so cold and windy this week that I went to hot yoga instead:) Today looks very promising though.

Ever since I started running outside, I cannot run on the treadmill at all because I get so bored, so I'm trying to run outside as much as possible before the sidewalks are caked with ice.

thesame7lbs
12-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I took a week off from running (on purpose, for rest and recuperation) and got back out there for the first time today. A kind of meh 6 miles, but it feels good to have it done.

I've found that listening to podcasts makes the treadmill much more bearable. I use the treadmill at the gym, so I also do some people watching and watch the giant TVs. If it's the afternoon I might watch Oprah, and in the mornings I watch ESPN or NFL network. I don't know why, but running, listening to This American Life on podcast, and watching a rerun of an old football game seems to work for me. :D

When I had a treadmill at home, I found it incredibly boring, so I made a rule that I could only watch trashy reality TV (one of my guilty pleasures) or Sex and the City if I was on the treadmill. I passes many a mile with the Real Housewives of Orange County. :o

cheryl126
12-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I have to share my small victory...

I recently bought a pair of Vibram fivefinger shoes after reading the book, Born to Run, about barefoot running. It's been a slow start because it takes a while to adjust to that type of running without your calves killing you and I haven't had much time to run lately...and it doesn't help that it gets dark so early!

Anyway, I usually use a Nike+ chip in my shoe that connects to my ipod and tracks how fast/far I run. I knew that the nike+ was miscalibrated for my vibram shoes and I was running farther than it said, so today I figured that I probably ran 2 miles or so, but I decided to map my run on google maps to see how far I really ran. It turns out that I actually ran almost 3.2 miles! And I'm pretty sure that it was a personal best 5k time for me!

From May through October, I was running a 5k probably 4-5 times/week as my workout, focusing on getting faster. Today I ran my best time in 40 degree weather without even exercising regularly. I'm liking this barefoot running thing!

thesame7lbs
12-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Cheryl, I am intrigued by the barefoot running but can't even imagine it! Maybe I will try a pair some day... I've been meaning to read Born to Run, maybe I will get it as an audiobook and listen while on the treadmill. It's going to be COLD this week so I'm sure I will be running at the gym.

Ran 6.6 today in the cold & damp. Second run back after a break is always better than the first! Felt like I could have gone forever but my hip was nagging a bit, figured better safe than sorry.

ncuneo
12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Turned out to be a great week. I pushed hard for 10 miles today and came in at 24 miles for the week.

I'm making some pretty lofty goals for next year. I'm running my next half marathon in august and want to get my time under two hours. I'd also like to see myself log 1000 miles next year. My next goal would be the LA marathon in 2012, but the jury is still out on that one.

krampus
12-13-2010, 05:48 AM
I've injured myself somehow by wearing tight street shoes. After looking up my symptoms all over the Internet, it seems likely that this is Achilles bursitis - acute, sharp pain/soreness at the back of the heel that feels like metatarsalgia. Looks like it's open-backed shoes for me. I'm going to be very upset if this mucks up my vacation. Meanwhile I will be stretching, icing, and trying to stay off my feet.

:(

caroline519
12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm new here, but I thought I'd post my running, I'm just getting back into it. Yesterday was 2.7 miles and today was a bit over 4. I'll be busy tomorrow and Thursday, so I don't know if I'll be able to get another run in this week, since I am flying to San Diego for 2 weeks on Friday. However, I'll be running and going to the gym while I'm there!

matt_H
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Sorry Krampus! :(

Ugh. Take a break from running and get healed. Hopefully a few days rest will be all you need.

This week I'm determined to run 4 days and at least 3 miles each time. Who is going to join me to run tonight? (virtually of course). If you agree to go out and run, so will I :)

matt_H
12-13-2010, 08:54 PM
So I'm working back into running again. Tonight I did a little bit over 3 miles.

twinmommaplusone
12-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Sorry MIA for the last few days! Finishing up my College Semester!

Saturday I had a 5k RAce- Came in 356 out of 806 over all- 12 out of 56 in my age group with a time of 28:42, not a PR but still...I'll certainly take it with a smile! The cold killed my lungs, but I best get used to it!

4 Miles in the pouring Rain on Sunday.

2 miles then 20 min stair climb finished up with another 2 miles on the treadmill yesterday.

Rest day today!

Happy Running and WTG Folks!

twinmommaplusone
12-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I've injured myself somehow by wearing tight street shoes. After looking up my symptoms all over the Internet, it seems likely that this is Achilles bursitis - acute, sharp pain/soreness at the back of the heel that feels like metatarsalgia. Looks like it's open-backed shoes for me. I'm going to be very upset if this mucks up my vacation. Meanwhile I will be stretching, icing, and trying to stay off my feet.

:(

This happened to me once, wearing a pair of shoes where the screw to the heal was felt through the shoe, felt fine wearing them but I wore them all day and as the day progressed my feet became sore. I had that tender heal pain for well over a week, I kept running though. I learned my lesson, comfort before injury! Hope you heal up quickly! You should!

ncuneo
12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Well this is my last week running in the old neighborhood. I'm getting nervous about my new running routes. I've already staked out the area and found what appears to be some safe routes. The nice thing is that for my long runs when it's later in the day and don't have to worry about coyotes and people, I'll have some amazingly beautiful routes to run.

I picked up some pepper spray, so hopefully all my loved ones will feel a little more at ease. I have a back up plan if I feel too uncomfortable.

I'm on track this week. 3 miles yesterday and I'm thinking 4+ tomorrow morning. This afternoon is a gym day, but I'm thinking I may through in 15 mins of intervals to start working on my speed. I registered for my second half marathon and I want to improve my time. My original goal was under 2 hrs, but that would require shaving 1:39mins off my original time and I'm not sure how doable that is. I'm also running it with my BIL who is planning on running a 10 min mile pace and I'd like to run it together. But DH says I have to beat him, boy are we competitive:).

Anyway, have a great week everyone!

mkroyer
12-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Ncueno- your best bet for improving your time is to work on your lactic acid threshold....not so much with the intervals and speed work.... you need to improve your bodies ability to process lactic acid as opposed to Vo2Max (that doesnt mean you shouldnt do intervals, but that shouldnt be your focus) And when you DO do intervals, you are going to want to focus on LONGER repetitions......800 to 1600 meters (.5 mile to 1 mile repeats) Start with doing 1 mile repeats at goal 1/2 marathon pace (9 min miles) with a 400 to 800 meter recovery in between) these work well when doing mid-distance runs--- the 6 to 9 mile range... if you are interested in learning more about the LA Threshold workouts, i can give you some good workouts :) Building your threshold will allow you run at faster paces for sustained periods of time....... it is the buildup of the lactic acid that slows us down... the good news is that your half marathon pace should not be near your threshold pace (which is generally going to be closer to your 5k or 10K pace, for a seasoned, focused runner)
my other best piece of advice that is appropriate for you at this point, is to get comfortable being uncomfortable (see tagline) :)
I think you are prob faster than you give yourself credit for, you are just scared of being uncomfortable..... you lack the confidence

krampus
12-14-2010, 07:56 PM
My foot feels better than it did yesterday already. Going to take it relatively easy just to make sure. Barefoot exercise is unaffected so I'll be continuing Tae Bo and body weight resistance stuff. If I feel better by Friday I might run in the school 4k race. I was really looking forward to it.

ncuneo
12-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Yes MK, please send those workouts my way! Great info, thank you!

matt_H
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
My foot feels better than it did yesterday already. Going to take it relatively easy just to make sure. Barefoot exercise is unaffected so I'll be continuing Tae Bo and body weight resistance stuff. If I feel better by Friday I might run in the school 4k race. I was really looking forward to it.

I'm glad it is feeling better and that you might be able to run in the 4K :)

Tonight I'm determined to run again even though it is SO COLD. It is the coldest day of the year here so far. It is like 10F and probably below zero facturing in the wind chill.

twinmommaplusone
12-15-2010, 01:54 PM
15 degrees a tad windy but I went out there and got in an amazing street run. 5.42 miles in just under an hour, forgot my garmin and it felt good to run comfy and not worry about pace! Could of ran another 5 easily!

matt_H
12-15-2010, 01:57 PM
15 degrees a tad windy but I went out there and got in an amazing street run. 5.42 miles in just under an hour, forgot my garmin and it felt good to run comfy and not worry about pace! Could of ran another 5 easily!

That is so awesome!!! I hope to build up my endurance to run like that. I better start doing that soon as I have registered for some longer distance races (a 10k in February and a half marathon in May).

twinmommaplusone
12-15-2010, 02:06 PM
That is so awesome!!! I hope to build up my endurance to run like that. I better start doing that soon as I have registered for some longer distance races (a 10k in February and a half marathon in May).

Thanks! You TOTALLY can do it too! I started training for a half over the summer through Hal Higdons Novice Half Schedule. I think he has them for 10k's too! Look it up, it's very useful! It's amazing to watch ones own progress!

I am gearing up to start training for my First Full Marathon Training starting January 3rd and the Marathon is in May, hoping to be at Goal Weight at that time, so it will be a double victory for me!

matt_H
12-15-2010, 04:09 PM
I am gearing up to start training for my First Full Marathon Training starting January 3rd and the Marathon is in May, hoping to be at Goal Weight at that time, so it will be a double victory for me!

I'm love to do a marathon in the fall (Oct 2011). I think it would be a natural progression if I'm running a half marathon in May. It will certainly be easier to train over the summer than it is in the winter ;)

Speaking of winter running, is there anybody planning to run tonight in a cold climate? Lets make a bet. I'll get out there and run if you do! It worked last time for me. :)

ncuneo
12-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Well Matt I ran 5 miles this morning (5am) does that count. Probably not because I live in So Cal and it was 55, but I'm running again Friday morning and it's supposed to be in the low 40s, which might as well be below 0 for me:) get out there! Dont let a little cold weather hold you back:)

matt_H
12-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Okay, so I didn't run outside. I just couldn't, it was painfully cold.

However...all is not lost as I did go to the gym and run 3 miles on the treadmill :). I'm going to run 3 miles on Friday and then I have my 5k on Sunday which will put me slightly over 12 miles for the week.

Next week, I'd like to build that up to 14 or 15 miles.

thesame7lbs
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Matt, I am impressed you even consider running in the cold if you have access to a gym. I was assuming you didn't have a gym membership. I far prefer running outside, but not when it's absolutely [below] freezing!

I just got my pace group assignment for the half-marathon training program I'm starting in January. They put me in the 9:00/mile group, which is ambitious but right where I want to be! Conservatively, I wanted to get "down around 2 hours" but in my heart I know I want to be under. Nine per mile should put me right there. I am so excited for training to start in just a couple weeks.

In the meantime, I have gotten so bored on the treadmill that I've tried two new machines at the gym -- the rowing machine and one of the many stepping machines they have. Enjoyed them both but really I feel like running is simply the best workout. Hopefully will get outside this weekend. Come on plows -- clear me a running route!

wfonseca3017
12-17-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm love to do a marathon in the fall (Oct 2011). I think it would be a natural progression if I'm running a half marathon in May. It will certainly be easier to train over the summer than it is in the winter ;)

WE are in the same page , i want to run a half in may and a full on October

Speaking of winter running, is there anybody planning to run tonight in a cold climate? Lets make a bet. I'll get out there and run if you do! It worked last time for me. :)

I saw it to late , that may be get my to run ..... lats time it works perfect .

matt_H
12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I saw it to late , that may be get my to run ..... lats time it works perfect .

I'm going to run tonight...you?

I ran Monday and Wednesday. I want to do an easy 3 mile run tonight and then have a day of rest before my 5K on Sunday. I'm not at the stage in my running life where I really pay attention to time, I just like to finish them :)

ncuneo
12-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Pat on the back today please:) Despite my son waking up at 2:30 am with a fever, TOM starting just before bed last night and the fact that I'm about to lose my mind from stress of moving this weekend, I eeked out a 2.75 mile jog this morning. It was supposed to be a 3 mile run, but I figured it was better than skipping it all together.

ange82much
12-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Too hot for running here. I know i'm not going to get any sympathy on that one from everyone who's complaining it's too cold!

Last weekend i did a 13km trail race up an escarpment and along an undulating ridge, but it was just too hot. It was 28C when we started and 31C at the end, but really high humidity too. I'm not telling you my time because it was embarrassingly slow.

Cooler this morning though and i did 10km which was good. I've been a bit slack with running the last few weeks and have been decorating instead, so really enjoyed getting out again!

I normally do the Sydney half marathon which is in May - so can i join you lot in the May-half-marathon club?! I'd love to do under 2hrs too but it's not going to happen unless i really get stuck in. I did 2:06 last year and 2:08 the year before. I've never done one under 2hr.

matt_H
12-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Kudos ncuneo for running despite some obstacles!

Ange, it looks like a bunch of us are doing halfs in May, awesome!!!

Alrighty, so I ran 3 miles in the gym tonight. I feel pretty good. My 5K race in Sunday morning. After the race, I'll have made my weekly goal of running 4 times at least 3 miles each time. :D

twinmommaplusone
12-18-2010, 11:08 AM
4 miles yesterday in 38:41.
Not sure what I'm doing today, I think I said rest cause tomorrow is suppose to be sunny out and I would love to get in a LR - of whatever my body will let me! We shall see!

Edit to add that yesterday I hit my 650 mile Goal. Anything between now and the end of the year is GRavy! My running anniversary is January 17th my Newest Goal for my Anniversary Date is 700 and thats an easy score!

ange82much
12-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Twinmon - like your target setting. That's good.

I was thinking of setting a 2011km goal for 2011. That's averaging 5.5km per day (what's that - about 3 miles?)

It's a bit too ambitious really as i didn't do anything like that much this year - but it's just a tempting target......

matt_H
12-19-2010, 04:21 AM
My 5k race is this morning. Its "fun run" with LOTS of participants and a lot of people dress up in costume. It isn't the kind of race you run to get a good time as it will take a long time for the crowd to thin out and for you to have room to run freely. I'm not really concerned about the time when I run and I'm wicked slow....;)

All of my friends that were supposed to run this race with me have bailed out. It is going to be cold, but I'm still looking forward to it :). I think I'm going to bring my camera and try to take a few photos before the event and after.

matt_H
12-19-2010, 12:37 PM
I just finished the jingle bell run! I think my time is pretty good (don't know what it is yet, but I think close to 30 minutes). You should be able to view a few photos here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=99428&id=1155465796&l=98235c66d4) even if you don't have facebook. :)

wfonseca3017
12-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I just finished the jingle bell run! I think my time is pretty good (don't know what it is yet, but I think close to 30 minutes). You should be able to view a few photos here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=99428&id=1155465796&l=98235c66d4) even if you don't have facebook. :)

Congrats whit your run .
It looks super fun.

Eurydice
12-19-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm joining this thread quite a bit late, but I don't care. I've finally been able to run without pain this past week since I got a new pair of shoes. I've always really enjoyed running, but I get shin splints that feel like death. Now that I've finally invested in a pair of good running shoes, I was able to run two miles this week and not feel any pain the next day. I'm truly amazed at what a difference shoes can make...

Anyway! My goal for the rest of this month is to run at least three times a week, as far as I can go on the treadmill (still getting a feel for my limits--it's around 1 mile without stopping at this point). :)

krampus
12-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Still grounded and I feel like my legs have doubled in flab and circumference. My heel still hurts to walk on and I'm really not sure what to do. It hurts in all different kinds of shoes - nowhere near as bad as it was a week ago, but it's noticeable whenever I'm on my feet.

twinmommaplusone
12-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Great job Matt, the pics are great, way more festive than our Holiday 5k!

Welcome EuryDice.

Krampush, give it another week, I'm confident your heal will cure itself!

I ran 6.35 yesterday and my legs screamed at me the entire time, I came to the conclusion that I have not been drinking enough, once I increased my fluids yesterday My leg soreness went away and I actually lost 3lbs in one day from it. so Hooray!

matt_H
12-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Congrats on the 6.35 miles and the loss!

Krampus, if it isn't better in another week, maybe it is something more serious? You might want to get it checked out. Hopefully you will be out running soon.

I want to run again tonight. I haven't really done many back to back runs, but I think I need to change that as it will help with muscle endurance. Maybe I'll take it easy and do 3 or 4 miles at the gym (at a 5.0 speed, 12 min miles).

krampus
12-20-2010, 11:22 PM
At the gym will be a nice change, I bet Bahston is wicked cold (see what I did there?) to be outside.

As for my foot, I'm wondering if my 2 miles each way walking commute to work is slowing the healing process. I'm wearing beat-up puma street sneakers today which are more supportive than my usual loafers/flats and there is still pain. Sadly walking is really the only option I have to get here. Ah well. I went dancing on Saturday night and that was fine.

I really miss running and can't wait to get back into it. Exercise videos are nothing like it.

bonnnie
12-21-2010, 03:20 AM
It is SO snowy here and the city I live in literally ran out of salt. So, Sunday, determined to jog, I took my chances. The snow was like running through deep sand. My normal job of 50 minutes (approx. 5 miles) took 1:15 minutes and I felt dead after it was finished.... but it was also nice in a way, I really felt like I worked a whole new group of thigh muscles.

Eurydice- the correct shoes can make ALL the difference. I was also amazed.

Krampus - I agree, no exercise video compares to jogging! What caused the heel problem?

joyfulloser
12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm starting to feel like the odd ball here...I LOVE my treadmill!:o I HATE the cold (strong aversion...STRONG)....Sure, I much prefer running outdoors on a nice cool sunny day, but with my current choices, I do enjoy my treadmill. I have a Landice that I bought off craigslist just a few months ago. I usually listen to podcast or watch a video while running. I prefer the podcast...I find it very relaxing and I totally forget where I'm at.

Yesterday during my 3.5 mile run, my daughter was playing her Wii game. I was watching Mario run around and it felt like I was in the video game!!! That got me thinking...wow...it would totally be cool if there was some kind of virtual reality running game/video.

Does anyone know of anything like that?

river
12-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi Everyone! I love this thread, I hope it's not to late for me to join. I didn't run today but I will be running tomorrow, likely indoor if the weather is frightful, but I prefer outdoor runs. I have great trails all around me.

I too am planning a half this spring, in May.

Enjoy your next run, whatever it is. :D

ncuneo
12-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Just popping in to say hi! I've been SO busy with the move I haven't had much time for 3FC. I ran 8 Sunday in the new neighborhood and did 3 Monday early morning. Tomorrow I'm planning on 4-5 again early morning, 3 on Friday and extra run Saturday before Disneyland and 8-10 Sunday. I'm hoping for a 25 mile week.

I feel pretty safe in the new neighborhood, so I'm very excited about that. The neighborhood seems much better than I anticipated.

Have a great week everyone and happy holidays!

matt_H
12-21-2010, 10:01 PM
back to back to back runs!

First time ever I ran 3 days in a row. I wasn't planning on it, but I felt fine and not sore at all, so I decided to head to the gym. Sunday was the 5K race, Monday was slightly more than 3 miles, and today was 4 miles :)

Tomorrow I might cross train by doing the stationary bike.

I start my running weeks on Monday so that is 7 miles so far this week. My goal is for 15 miles. This weekend I hope to do a long run for me (like 5 miles).

wfonseca3017
12-23-2010, 12:34 AM
December is almost gone , and I did not do any better than November .
I know January is not going to be Good either .My baby girl (1 years 3 months ) is having a mayor surgery .... on Jan 7 , and i have to be there about 10 days or so.

The only things is my treadmill is arriving on Jan 6 ...so for sure February is going to be good.

I hope every one is having a great time..

matt_H
12-24-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm at 10 miles in total so far this week. I ran 3 miles today (Christmas Eve) and I plan on running 5 miles on Sunday. If so, the 15 miles will be the most I think I've ever done in a week. I'm slowly trying to work my mileage. I ran 12 miles in total last week. They say you shouldn't increase your mileage by more than 10% in a week, but I think I'll be okay.

On Saturday (New Years day) I have a 4 mile race that I signed up for in Salem, MA. It will be my second 4 mile race. The next race after that is a 10k in early February.

Happy running everyone!

ncuneo
12-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Got an unexpected 5 in today, I was planning on 3, but my route was longer than I thought it would be. I plan on doing it again tomorrow morning. I'm kinda trying to make up for some poor eating decisions this week. The move has really gotten to me and my kitchen was in shambles for a few days, my son has been sick and we've just been so so busy and I honestly didn't feel like doing what I knew needed to be done. So I figure I'll log a few extra miles to do some damage control. I don't think that's a good habit, so I've promised myself that I'm going to get back on plan immediately, in fact today I was on plan. So that's good news. Have a happy holiday everyone.

ncuneo
12-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Skipped the run yesterday and went for a hike with my mom instead. Today I did 9, a bit of a struggle, but good.

Hope everyones holiday was good.

matt_H
12-26-2010, 09:40 PM
I also skipped my planned run. Poo. Now we are in the midst of a blizzard here on the East Coast.

matt_H
12-27-2010, 08:22 PM
So I ran 5 miles today! I did it slow, mostly on 4.5 speed on the treadmill. Really, just a slow jog. I'm running in a 4 mile race New Years day, so my plan is to run on Wednesday and then take Thursday and Friday off as rest days.

twinmommaplusone
12-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Hello, no run for me since Friday, so today was a hard 3, I really need to take easier runs I really push my pace too much, can't seem to help myself, I get so excited to run, lol.

Good Luck Matt on your Race!

Glad to hear Ncuneo your new neighborhood is turning out to be way better than you expected!

matt_H
12-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm going to run 3 miles tonight and then take the next 2 days off :)

Luckily, I'm told the weather in the area is supposed to be pretty warm (mid 50s) on New Years day.

ncuneo
12-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Knocked out 3 on Monday and 4 today. I was thinking about a quick 3 tomorrow because I won't be able to go to the gym to lift, but we're going to Disneyland and I think all the walking will be enough.

I'm hoping for 5 on Friday and 10 Sunday. Have a great New Years everyone!

ubergirl
12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm in awe of all of your 3s and 5s, etc. I did 1.6 today with lifting, and 2.7 yesterday....

How long does it take you guys to run 3 miles?

matt_H
12-29-2010, 10:42 PM
I was just going to do 3 this evening, but ended up running 5 on the treadmill. I think I needed the extra endorphins. I kind of want to run again tomorrow but don't know if I should have more than just 1 day off before the 4 mile run on New Years day.

matt_H
12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm in awe of all of your 3s and 5s, etc. I did 1.6 today with lifting, and 2.7 yesterday....

How long does it take you guys to run 3 miles?

I run slow. I run a bit faster during a race, but on the treadmill I usually have it set at 5.0 speed. That is 3 miles every 36 minutes. My fastest time at a 5k race was 33 minutes.

Even though I did the C25K last winter, I still am a running newb since I only started back up consistently running this fall. I went about 5 or 6 months without running at all and had to start again.

I'm more concerned with building mileage than going faster. I think the speed will improve over time.

azaleagirl
12-30-2010, 07:21 AM
congrats Matt on your CNN story...you are an inspiration...Ive been lurking around this thread for a week or so...just started running and doing the c25k program and on week 5...love it. Looking forward to joining in when someone creates the January running thread. Happy New Year!!!!

matt_H
12-30-2010, 10:20 AM
You can join in any time! No need to wait for the January thread :)

Isn't week 5 the big 20 minute run? Are you excited about it? The first time I was able to jog straight for 20 minutes was full of win!

azaleagirl
12-30-2010, 09:15 PM
its 8 minutes 3xs...2 minute recovery between.

matt_H
12-30-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm at 13 miles in total for the week and I'll be at 17 before the week is over :)

I really feel like I'm making good progress with the running. Doing 3 miles is very easy now and I only start to get a bit winded/ tired after 4 or 5. In fact, I'm feeling my best right around the 3 mile mark.

ubergirl
12-31-2010, 01:34 AM
I run slow. I run a bit faster during a race, but on the treadmill I usually have it set at 5.0 speed. That is 3 miles every 36 minutes. My fastest time at a 5k race was 33 minutes.

Even though I did the C25K last winter, I still am a running newb since I only started back up consistently running this fall. I went about 5 or 6 months without running at all and had to start again.

I'm more concerned with building mileage than going faster. I think the speed will improve over time.

Thanks Matt! I did c25k last January, finishing in May because I had to repeat several weeks. For the longest time, I really couldn't go faster than 4.5 or I'd get horribly winded. But now, all of a sudden, I'm comfortable at 5.2 and can do some intervals at 5.5 and even short intervals at 6.0 or 7.0...
But I run by time rather than distance, and I've NEVER run 3 miles...I was working toward a 5k last spring, but I never had a chance to sign up for one, and I'm still freaked out at the idea of 3 miles-- but in truth, I think I can run that far. Maybe I'll try for distance instead of time next time and see what happens.

azaleagirl
12-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Happy New Year's Eve!!!!Just got in from my run, week 5 day 2...then off to work....can't believe we have to work all day today...anyway...I feel great, a little sore, but its ok. Will try to finish this week on Sunday if the weather permits. I will be so glad when I can increase my speed, but right now Im not too worried about that...just doing the c25k to completion. Later!

twinmommaplusone
12-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Alright fellow runners, I cranked out some decent runs this week. Yesterday was 6.5 miles at 10:35 pace. Monday Starts Marathon Training! I started running Jan. 17th and have logged 675 miles since!
Best Wishes for 2011~!

ubergirl
12-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Twin Momma-- I'm totally impressed by your progress!!!! I started weight loss almost the same time as you-- June 19, 2009, at close to your start weight, and we're near the same height. I started running in Jan. 2010, but I can't IMAGINE running 6 miles at a 10.35 pace. That is just amazing!

ncuneo
12-31-2010, 11:08 AM
I run 3 in about 30 mins depending on how I'm feeling. Usually it takes a few mins more. Don't worry about you're times or milage ubergirl, you'll get there. Running is something that takes a lot of time and practice to improve upon. When I started, 1 mile was a complete chore, and now I've completed a half marathon - sky's the limit, keep it up! Ok, I'm gonna go be a cheater now and start the January thread! :)

azaleagirl
01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
finally got my new treadmill delivered and set up...despite they damaged my wood floors...gee....anyway ran week 6 day 1 today...that is 12 min run twice...whew..the Sole treadmill is so quiet..fantastic piece of equipment

joyfulloser
01-04-2011, 09:03 AM
finally got my new treadmill delivered and set up...despite they damaged my wood floors...gee....anyway ran week 6 day 1 today...that is 12 min run twice...whew..the Sole treadmill is so quiet..fantastic piece of equipment

WOW..you got a Sole...they are nice!;) Did you buy brand new? They are waaaaay expensive! When I was checking out treadmills, it seemed the two top ones were the Landice and the Sole. What made you choose Sole? Just curious.

Anyhoot...congrats!:carrot:

azaleagirl
01-05-2011, 08:07 AM
yes bought it new...I chose the Sole becuase I researched and found out it was the best for the money....alot of machine..I just got the base model at Dicks Sporting goods...900.00 which was the cheapest i could find...it has a lifetime guar. and really solid and quiet. Love Love Love it