Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #1  

Default Intimidated

Last year I hired a personal trainer that I worked out with for a total of 8 weeks, 2x a week. I could not afford her any longer and am working out on my own now. Whenever I see her at the gym I feel so intimidated by her. I will not do any weights if she is around. I feel like she is always judging me. I never felt comfortable with her and in hindsight I think I would have been better off asking for a different trainer early on. I didn't because I am afraid of confrontation. I have checked out different gyms in my area to avoid seeing her. None of them really had what I was looking for in the cardio equipment. Any advice on how I can deal with these feelings?
MarycleMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/172/130

Height: 5'3"

I can relate to this but a little differently. I was too embarrassed to go back to the gym once I gained a lot of weight. This woman probably has no interest in confronting you - it's probably just you.

Continue to acknowledge your feelings and continue to go to the gym. As you build your physical strength be mindful to build your self-confidence.

Good luck!
Philigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

That sounds like a tough situation! I don't like confrontation either but I find with weight loss I've gained a bit of confidence. I would just keep working out, but act like she's not there. Do your own thing, maybe listen to some music and don't think about your surroundings so much. Focus on how it feels to lift the weights.

If she's making you feel uncomfortable by acting weird when your there, then that is a bit different.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Suck it up! I know that's easy to say but seriously, who cares what this random nobody thinks. Ok that's harsh, but when I switched from machines to free weights I was really intimidated too. My gym is really small and I felt so akward and ridiculous with the free weights and the "serious gym rats". I sucked it up stuck too it and now feel more comfortable and am seeing amazing results in my figure. If you truly can't deal, then switch gyms.

Last edited by ncuneo; 09-08-2010 at 03:23 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I can only relate because I refuse to work out in front of my fiance. I don't want to look stupid in front of him. But in front of strangers or acquaintances? I don't care. I see some of the personal trainers looking at me sometimes in the gym but I don't let it get to me. I just put on my iTunes and workout- I don't pay attention to other people much.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote