Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #1  
Determined to succeed.

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5' 3"

Default Feeling intimidated at the gym...

I just joined a gym called "Bodies in Motion" (Southern California) and I went to a couple of classes so far -- and I am so out of shape. I get really embarrassed because at times when everyone else is running/doing squats, etc. I have to just STOP because I can't go on with the exercise. It makes me feel really crappy, but I know deep down that if I just stick to it, it won't be hard forever.

I took a boxing/kickboxing class the other day and I just had to quit right in the middle because it was so hard for me. I went to the treadmill and just walked. The good thing is that I see myself getting smaller (slowly).

I am constantly having this argument back and forth with myself:

I am going back no matter what.

But I feel like such a dork.

I won't feel that way forever. And if I stop going I can never get better at it.

But it's embarrassing when I can't even do a simple exercise. Also, I hate being the only fat girl in the room.

I won't be the fat girl for long. I am getting stronger each day I endure. Plus, it feels great when I'm done!

I always feel like everyone is watching, even though most of the time they are probably not. Anyone else feel the same way?
Gracenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

OK. It's hard to start with, but you'll come through it. If you joined my gym this year then I might be one of those intimidating people who look like they know what they're doing, but I was exactly where you are not too long ago. And if you keep on going you can get yourself to where I am now too.

To be honest, you probably don't look half as clueless as you feel, you notice when you fail far more than other people will - they're all too busy battling their own demons and hoping that other people don't notice when they mess up!

There will be a lot of people in that gym who have been in exactly the same situation as you are now, and they probably appreciate exactly how you're feeling, and wouldn't dream of thinking anything bad about you purely for the fact that you've just started - in fact it's more likely to be positive thoughts that you've decided to take positive steps to improve your fitness and your health.

Stick with it, and you'll get there. You'll never know what you're doing unless you take the time to practice and learn!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #3  

Seriously, if u really see yourself doing this long term to get in shape, stick with it. Who cares what anyone else in the gym says about it all. Yet, in truth if u are giving it all u got there's people that have to be impressed with ur will and dedication. On a side note: Why do u think they keep making movies and noting people like Rudy from that movie titled Rudy (with the guy from lord of the rings with the famous mom)!?! U know why cause we admire their will and determination. WAtch that movie and tell me u don't wish u were that strong. Guess what u are. Some of those gym rats are looking at u thinking the same thing u are thinking about Rudy. They aren't thinking too bad, there thinking, WOW, I wish I was that great!
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #4  
Meg

Gracenote -- we must be twins! I had the same battle going on in my head when I first joined a gym -- and I was much heavier than you (257 pounds)! I felt so big and so out of place, especially in the classes. But the others in the classes were always kind and encouraging and became my biggest cheerleaders. And every week I could see myself getting smaller and I could do more.

If I had listened to that bad little voice in my head and quit, without a doubt I'd still weigh 257+ pounds today. I know for a fact that I never would have made it to goal without exercise -- lots and lots -- and wouldn't be maintaining here today.

Listen to the good voice in your head and just do what you can. You know if you stick with it, you'll get results! The only way you're going to fail is if you quit, and you're not going to do that, right?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default 1rst Class

I took my first Butt and Gut class 2 weeks ago. I sat in the back (because I came in late). I stopped several times but usually for 30 seconds or so to get the cramp out of my leg. Then came the crunches. I couldn't figured out how to do them without agony to my neck. I was working my neck far more than my abs. So I decided to stop doing them and do a different excercise that we had done a few steps back. I was doing a totally different excercise for about 10 min. I felt good for keeping moving so I was okay. Then I saw this HUGE dude decked out in muscles and noticed through several excercises he was sweating profusely and shaking (like it was hard as **** on him). I figured anybody that doesn't use those muscles have a hard time initially, not just us out of shape. It made me feel better about it. Now I bought a support bar and neck cushion that I'm trying to get up enough nerve to bring to the next class so I can do the crunches too.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #6  

I know exactly how you feel. I decided this is the "year for me". no more crying about being overweight, I am going to lose it once and for all. I just joined a local gym - they have a program called "PACE" which is similar to Curves. I did that for a couple of days and the instructor is absolutely WONDERFUL. Today I wanted to try the other equipment - such as the eliptical machine - did I feel like the fool. I could only do about 6 minutes and felt like such a clutz the whole time. I went back and did the bike for about 10 minutes, the treadmill for about 15 and back to the bike for another 20 (my muscles were aching so either I though, I can quit and go home or switch around and work other muscles). Haven't tried any of the classes yet.
dial919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Remember Susan Powter back in the 90's? Yeah, the bald chick. She was forever talking about modification and that's exactly what DefinelySmart was doing. She kept moving.

I'm beginning to think that anything new is difficult and awkward at first -- exercising to making speeches in front of large groups of people. But eventually, we get better at it.

And Meg! Man, is she ever an inspiration!
FrugalChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #8  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I'm taking a dance class now, and I'm no dancer--that's for sure!--so I know exactly how you feel! I am the biggest in the room by far and I definitely have a lot of moments where I feel self conscious. But I try to just ignore that and have fun.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #9  
Mel

I started out feeling exactly that way too. And sometimes I still do I took a kickboxing class a week ago and am still "recovering" and I'm probably one of those people who would intimidate you now. But it was new for me, and I stumble all over the place and thought everyone was staring at me thinking"oh man...what a KLUTZ!"

Trust me, most people are only paying attention to themselves at the gym, or watching the two or three young women with augmented busts and skimpy workout bra tops.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:22 AM   #10  

I've been here too, I weighed 262lbs when I started at the gym, and I hated it at first. I felt stupid, fat and unco-ordinated. Our gym has a lot of men that hang around not doing very much, and I loathed weight training because they would just sit and watch.

But I kept going, because I knew from all the reading I had done here that exercise is the best way to not only lose weight but to maintain your loss forever.

So now, a year on, I don't feel the fattest in the gym any more (but some days I probably am) but I'm never the most unfit. Often I go on machines after a man has used it and have to put the weight UP!!! I get into the free weight section and I own the space when I am in it, ok it might only be a couple of square inches, but it's MINE!!!!

Stay confident. My trainer said to me that he has never seen anyone so confident as me!!! I laughed and said he can't be very good at determining whether a woman is faking it or not (unbeknownst to me his girlfriend was standing behind him at the time, and just fell about laughing!!!!)

I'm sure, just like YP and I hope myself, and of course all the others here, in a years time you will be one of the scary fit people in the gym that everyone else wants to be like!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #11  
Determined to succeed.

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you for all the words of encouragement. I certainly won't quit now but sometimes I feel so terrible that I want to cry. It's a horrible feeling and I don't want people at the gym to feel sorry for me, but I think -- "I can't do this, it's not for me." Yesterday the instructor was having us do squats and I did the first few but then I got worn out and I had to stop and just stand there (or do 1/8 of the squat that everyone else was doing)... same thing with the push ups -- I couldn't even do ONE! *sigh* It's a struggle I'll just have to endure, I guess. (God help me.)
Gracenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #12  
BigGirl No More Please!!!

Exclamation I tooottallly understand

I always feel like I'm the biggest thing in the room. Most likely becuase I am!! I've learned that I can be there for them I'm there for me. I want to try Turbo Jam at home so as to build up my stamina so I don't look so dorky in the skinny peoples class. Anyone know anything about Turbo Jam? Is it really worth it? Do you really see results?

ToniD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracenote
,Yesterday the instructor was having us do squats and I did the first few but then I got worn out and I had to stop and just stand there (or do 1/8 of the squat that everyone else was doing)... same thing with the push ups -- I couldn't even do ONE! *sigh* It's a struggle I'll just have to endure, I guess. (God help me.)
When that happens, instead of just doing a squat, do a squat and point (ask me if you are unclear cuz right now I don't know how to explain it). Pushups are a nightmare, I can't do that either. Not ONE. Do a modified push up. I can't do modified pushups but I can't tell you another one to substitute it for. Man, that's a toughie.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 AM   #14  

Can you talk to the instructor before or after the class and ask for some modifications? Or ask if they can run a beginners type class at some point? I don't know your gym, obviously, but both gyms I use have great instructors who will do anything to help the newbie!!!

It's really tough when you can't do what everyone else can. I get that a lot, because I have mild cerebral palsy I just can't always do everything. But I still try it, and then make my own modifications if necessary.

The other thing is because of my slight cognitive problem as a residue of the CP I always go the wrong way in aerobics class!!!! It's a class joke now, and everyone laughs at me, but not in a bad way!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #15  

The last time I lost weight I felt exactly the same. (I've gained back, hence my name) It's okay. Here's a fun story. When I did lose all that weight I was at the gym and felt all terrible and fat and I was stretching and a girl bigger than me came over and asked if I was the aerobic instructor! I had lost so much that somebody mistook me for an instructor!!!! So keep going. There are a LOT of people at that gym rooting for you and when you lose you'll show them something. Go and everytime you feel big think how surprised they'll all be when you're not!