General chatter - What size bed do you have (couples question)

19Deltawifey
03-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Well I have been married 6.5 years and we have 2 kids. Well me and my husband have a queen size bed and he likes to snuggle/cuddle while in bed, me on the other hand I hate being touched while trying to sleep or fall asleep. I don't mind snuggling when I'm not trying to fall asleep. We are currently in the process of getting a King size bed so that I can have more space. My husband is 6'2 and hogs the whole bed leaving me with 1/4 of the bed and he constantly moves or elbows me while he's sleeping.

I was wondering what size bed everyone has and how are you able to get a good nights sleep while sharing a bed with someone who hogs the bed? I Love my husband to death but I really need sleep and these past couple of weeks its been impossible to sleep threw the night without waking up constantly. So what are your sleeping arrangements with your significant other?

mandalinn82
03-02-2010, 08:41 PM
We have a queen bed. When we first met, we were both 250 lbs plus and we shared a twin!!

VermontMom
03-02-2010, 09:06 PM
We've been married 30 years and have always had just a full (double) bed. It's been fine except for the past year, when I've really noticed the difference that I am sorry to say I feel really overtaken, that I get about only 1/3 of space instead of half. When DH moved or turns over, the whole bed moves and I wake up then too. I can usually get back to sleep right away...usually.

I have had 2 people express incredulousness that we have such a small bed, I mean they were incredulous to the point of being kinda irritating ('I can't BELIEVE you guys have such a small bed!') well sometimes space is a valid concern, tiny bedroom and such. I must say that I think a queen size would be perfect for us now.

I bought a king sized comforter at Christmas for us, as I was hoping that would help some, that when DH takes 'his share' there would then be enough for me! There is enough comforter but now I don't like how heavy the weight of it is.

well you asked for opinions and you got my complaining one :D :devil:

shantroy
03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
My bf and both have queen sized beds. They're the perfect size of both of us. We've shared doubles when we stayed in crappy hotel rooms or crashed at friends, and neither of us gets a good night sleep. We've shared king sized beds and don't use the entire bed, there's lots of wasted space. Plus a king size bed wouldn't fit in my room, probably my bf's but not mine. I have a king sized comforter though, for the same reason VermontMom has one! My bf is a blanket hog!!!!!

Totally off topic, but my dream is to have his and her bathrooms!!! I hate sharing a bathroom with my bf he's such a slob and I have to much crap. When he stays at my place, I make him use the 2nd bathroom in the guest room!

onanotherquest
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
My husband and I share a king sized bed and I couldn't imagine it any other way. I, like you, love to snuggle with him but when that moment has passed I like to roll over to my side of the bed and get comfortable with my three pillows and fall asleep. It is a rarity that I can fall asleep while cuddling. I think it's the body heat. I don't like being too warm and therefore prefer to fall asleep touching no one. I'm also not a very still sleeper and the buffer of the extra space helps ensure my husband's qualily of sleep.

tigger175
03-02-2010, 10:05 PM
For the past 5 years my now fiance and i have been dating we have shared twin beds! (We were both in college and thus were limited to twins). Even though he is out of school he still only has a twin, but once we get married in May we are getting a Queen. Sharing the twin hasn't actually been bad but we always sleep in one of two positions- him on his back and me laying sideways on him or spooning. The only time it is a problem is if one of us is sick or sunburn- and then it feels crowded. It will be strange to have so much space with a Queen!

sunflowergirl68
03-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Me and my fiance have a Queen sized bed, and it's definitely not big enough. I want an Eastern King. He twitches in his sleep (something to do with having tight leg muscles) and both of us like to sleep totally spread out, arms and legs splayed everywhere. It's most comfortable. I hate the size of our bed now although the actual bed and mattress we have is amazing. From Ikea, BTW.

I'm just like you, I can't have him anywhere near me when i want to fall asleep. Whenever I'm really sleepy, I don't know how to describe it but I get all sensitive to the touch and it's irritating to have him next to me.

If your husband is 6'2, you should get a California (or Western) King. The California is 4 inches longer, and the Standard (or Eastern) King is four inches wider, and since me and the fiance are both under 6 feet, we don't need it longer.

So basically, a Standard King is wider than a Queen and the sam length, and the California King is wider and longer (but not as wide as the Standard King).

http://interiordec.about.com/od/buyingabed/a/a_bedsizes_3.htm

When we didn't live together, and I had the same double bed throughout college (I actually really miss that bed... from IKEA too), and whenever he'd visit me, I'd get a horrible night of sleep (He was in the Army, so that a-hole can sleep anywhere). We would have gotten an Eastern King when we moved in together but it was too expensive.

To the above posters who share small beds with their SOs... I don't know how you do it! I would like to share a small bed with my SO but I just can't.

sunflowergirl68
03-02-2010, 10:11 PM
We have a queen bed. When we first met, we were both 250 lbs plus and we shared a twin!!

How on earth did you do that? Even two healthy adults would have difficulty doing that! If you like being snuggly it would definitely work!

mandalinn82
03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
The bed was about 3-4 inches out from being against the wall, and I remember sleeping with my butt firmly in that wall/mattress area...we called it "sleeping in the crack".

sunflowergirl68
03-02-2010, 10:37 PM
hahaha that's pretty funny. My double bed was always against a wall, too, and I'd always be the one against the wall, and a couple of times, he almost pushed me off in his sleep.

ANewCreation
03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Been married for 22+ years and for the majority of that time we've had a king bed. Neither of us want to snuggle once we're ready for sleep so it's a win-win for us!

19Deltawifey
03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
When we dated we shared a twin bed which was fine we were young and could sleep through anything but now I could not imagine us in a twin. Its weird that we lasted so long with this queen bed and now its too small. He can sleep in any position since he was deployed 2 times. I'm so happy that we are getting a bigger bed because right now Im so grouchy from lack of sleep. It sucks having to wake up every 30 minutes to move him over to his side of the bed. I also get really hot when I sleep so I usually have the fan blowing on me and when he touches me it makes me sweat since Im over heating. Its good to see Im not the only girl who likes her space while sleeping

EZMONEY
03-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Angie and I have a :queen:

we also have trundle beds in the 2 guest rooms....

she ends up there sometimes if I am snoring or...

a bit gassy ;)

oh stop :D I have been known to leave for one of the kids old rooms myself ;)

kaplods
03-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I tend to be rather blunt, so for sensitive souls there may be tmi ahead.

When my husband and I first moved in together, we each had queen-sized beds. He liked his hard mattress and I liked my soft mattress. The bedroom was huge, so we put them side by side to make one humongous bed.

Then we moved into another apartment and the bedrooms were smaller. I actually was having a lot of health problems and had to sleep with the head of the bed elevated (we did it by elevating the whole head end of the bed), but hubby couldn't sleep that way, so we had separate bedrooms (we were still newlyweds, so we'd use hubby's room for recreational use, but we slept in separate beds).

Since moving to Wisconsin, we've each had twin beds (I don't need mine elevated anymore) that are pushed together to be one big bed.

In all truthfulness, I slept better when we had separate rooms. Hubby says the same.

In terms of comfort, the two queens pushed together was pretty awesome (We're both space hogs), but impracticul unless you have a really huge bedroom (in our first apartment the bedroom was almost twice the size of the living room).

The two twins work out as the best compromise. Plenty of room for sex and cuddling, but we each get to sleep on the mattress we prefer. We also talked about "sleeping in the crack," but mean that if we cuddle, someone's body is straddling the crack between the two mattresses. Comfortable for a short while, but not for the whole night, so eventually we both gravitate back to our own side of the bed after cuddling time.

When we had seperate bedrooms, some friends and family were horrified, because we were "too newly married" to be sleeping in separate rooms. We would laugh and say "You do know that seperate bedrooms doesn't stop us from having sex, right?"

In fact, I think we had more energy for that sort of thing when we weren't sleeping in the same room. What I wouldn't give for a good set of earplugs (hubby snores, and apparently I sometimes do too).

mkyice
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm 6ft and hubby is between 6'3" and 6'4". We had a queen for a long time and it was comfortable. We moved to a king about 4 years ago. The extra room is nice. We do occasionally get stuck trying to sleep on a full size (hotels, our rv, etc.); it is hard because we are touching the whole night, and if one of us goes to roll over there's no way to not bump the other person and disturb their sleep.

lizziep
03-03-2010, 03:14 AM
king bed and i freaking love it!! i want to feel like i'm alone when i'm falling asleep- i can reach my arm out and not touch him cause he's on his side. and that rocks!
we have done the sleep in the crack thing and once we had a horrid vacation where we were supposed to share a full. hahaha we are way too fat for that and frankly i don't want to feel him breathing on my neck all night. no thanks!

GradPhase
03-03-2010, 04:35 AM
I guess we're a weird case - we have a full size bed. We both sleep better together in a twin or a full than in a queen or king because we're closer. Anything bigger than a full, and he's too far away. We're not really clingy otherwise, or big fans of PDA - but come sleep-time, we're inseparable.

ANewCreation
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Kaplods, I love your post! I would love to have separate bedrooms for sleeping. I've actually suggested it but it hurt my hubbys feelings so I dropped it. I sleep so much better when I don't have to nudge hubby to stop him from snoring. Sometimes nudging doesn't work so I just have to live with it....sigh. To be like the royalty of old, separate bedrooms would be heaven. And you are right, that doesn't mean you can't have sex!!! But when the snoring starts it would be great to be able to retreat to my own QUIET space.

Oh well..... ;) Thanks for saying out loud what I've been thinking for years!

thenicole84
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
My husband and I have a queen size select comfort. It's nice, because we can snuggle up for a bit at the beginning of the night, but since we have separate settings for how we like to sleep, we move apart after about 10 minutes. Trust me...I am FINE with this :). I call hubby the man furnace--I can't snuggle with him more than that, or I get sweaty in bed. Yuck!

Eliana
03-03-2010, 11:37 AM
KING. Between DH, his dreadful body pillow and the dog...KING.

We're so bad, when we travel, if we can't get king, we request two doubles! :D And with the kids, with two doubles, we each take a kid. He and I can not share a double and expect to sleep.

nelie
03-03-2010, 11:45 AM
King - my husband although he is tiny, likes to spread out. When we happen to sleep in a queen size bed, it can cause a rough nights sleep because he is always elbowing me. I'd rather sleep closer but with his habits, its not possible.

TJFitnessDiva
03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
We have a queen bed and we've shared a king bed before but no matter how much room we have my husband still will hog my side of the bed :lol:

He sweats like crazy in the middle of the night so I try not to bump into him unless it's a must to get him back over to his side

Glory87
03-03-2010, 11:57 AM
We have a queen, but my husband really wants a king. I think I would miss snuggles!

Smiling_Sara
03-03-2010, 01:03 PM
We've been married 30 years and have always had just a full (double) bed. It's been fine except for the past year, when I've really noticed the difference that I am sorry to say I feel really overtaken, that I get about only 1/3 of space instead of half. When DH moved or turns over, the whole bed moves and I wake up then too. I can usually get back to sleep right away...usually.

I have had 2 people express incredulousness that we have such a small bed, I mean they were incredulous to the point of being kinda irritating ('I can't BELIEVE you guys have such a small bed!') well sometimes space is a valid concern, tiny bedroom and such. I must say that I think a queen size would be perfect for us now.

I bought a king sized comforter at Christmas for us, as I was hoping that would help some, that when DH takes 'his share' there would then be enough for me! There is enough comforter but now I don't like how heavy the weight of it is.

well you asked for opinions and you got my complaining one :D :devil:

My parents have always had a full sized bed too. I have that currently, but I sleep alone. I think I'd have to have a queen bed if I do ever share one on a reg basis.

mom4life
03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
We've been married for 9 yrs. For the first half we had a queen. Then when the kiddos started coming we had to upgrade to a King because we co-slept with them. With 2 kiddos in a bed you kinda need the space. LOL
I've asked dh, when the last 2 (the youngest the the bun in the oven) get old enough to sleep in their own beds if he wanted to down-grade to a queen again. He said "Heck no, I like the extra room." :)

zoritsa
03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Well I have been married 6.5 years and we have 2 kids. Well me and my husband have a queen size bed and he likes to snuggle/cuddle while in bed, me on the other hand I hate being touched while trying to sleep or fall asleep. I don't mind snuggling when I'm not trying to fall asleep. We are currently in the process of getting a King size bed so that I can have more space. My husband is 6'2 and hogs the whole bed leaving me with 1/4 of the bed and he constantly moves or elbows me while he's sleeping.

I was wondering what size bed everyone has and how are you able to get a good nights sleep while sharing a bed with someone who hogs the bed? I Love my husband to death but I really need sleep and these past couple of weeks its been impossible to sleep threw the night without waking up constantly. So what are your sleeping arrangements with your significant other?

Someone else that needs their space,yay! My husband and I have a king sized bed,in a much to small room,but I love it.We cuddle,but when it's time to sleep...it's time to sleep!

Now with having a large bed,we've also had to get double the blankets,because as my husband says,I cacoon myself up with the blankets and leave him with nothing.That may be a little odd,but it's better then fighting over it.

nelie
03-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Someone else that needs their space,yay! My husband and I have a king sized bed,in a much to small room,but I love it.We cuddle,but when it's time to sleep...it's time to sleep!

Now with having a large bed,we've also had to get double the blankets,because as my husband says,I cacoon myself up with the blankets and leave him with nothing.That may be a little odd,but it's better then fighting over it.

I get accused of cocooning too!! He pulls the blankets though. He claims I push them. Likely story!

RynKay
03-03-2010, 01:17 PM
We JUST got married, so did not have much room for 'buying' a new bed, so our choices were either his bed (queen) or mine (a full). We picked his ;]. He is 6'4, and I am 5'3. He is far to big to be sharing a queen bed with me! ;) I can not wait till we can get a bigger bed.

sprklemajik
03-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm the bed hog. DH and I share a queen (upgraded from a full a little after we got married), no matter how large/small the bed is, I sleep in the middle. (I don't mean to, I fall asleep on my side and wake up smack dab in the middle every morning). So we'd probably be even better with a King, but our room just wouldn't hold it.

goodforme
03-03-2010, 02:31 PM
It wouldn't matter if we carpeted the whole floor in my bedroom with a mattress, my SO would end up directly next to me every single time. :D I try to keep to my side and he just follows me over and some nights I actually get out of the bed, walk around to his side, and get in to have some room.

That being said, we have a queen but had a full for many years. I like the queen better. A king would never fit in my room, unless you wanted to swim across it to get to the closet.

We co-sleep with our almost 2 year old who takes after her daddy, so I really feel the cramp some nights. Separate beds? Good idea!!

Heidi58
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Queen sized for us, now.
We've always joked that the size of the bed doesn't matter because my DH hogs the bed and I steal all the blankets anyway. ;)

Firecracker777
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
When my bf and I first got together he had a king and i had a twin. Hes always about 6'3". Needless to say we slept over his house more often, but when he started moving in my parents got us a double/full which was perfect and recently we upgraded to a queen. We always sleep very close and I find it hard to sleep if im not touching him in some way (like arm around or legs overlapped). Maybe one day when we get a house we'll upgrade to a king. Hes tall and likes to stretch his legs all the way out lol

19Deltawifey
03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I always thought about getting a divider for the middle of the bed so that he could have his side and I can have my side lol. We did switch sides on the bed about 2 days ago but he gravitates towards me and I get so tired of kicking him back over to his side of the bed. We bought a King bed but since we are moving in 3 weeks were gonna wait till we get to the new place so that means Im gonna have to suffer through another couple of weeks on the queen bed. Maybe I got so used to him being deployed and always training since he is in the military, I got used to having the bed to myself. Plus he tends to want to sleep with his hand on my butt or boobs which is good for him but Im like get off of me!!!! He also does sleep sex which is where he will do the humping motion on me while he is sleeping, Im sleeping also. Its so annoying and thats why I don't let him spoon me he will have me awake all night doing that. Since I stopped spooning it has solved that problem. He doesn't remember doing that in his sleep.

sotypical
03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
We had a queen bed. It was just something we had bought cheap.

This year for Christmas rather then buy each other gifts, we decided to split the cost of a new bed. We figured if we were going to spend the money on a new bed, we might as well get a king.

Let me tell you, the king sized bed was the best thing we ever did! We have so much room, and putting money into a mattress was worth every penny. For Christmas we just asked all our family for different pieces for a new bedding set too to help save on cost there.

I could never go back to anything but a King now!

kaplods
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Kaplods, I love your post! I would love to have separate bedrooms for sleeping. I've actually suggested it but it hurt my hubbys feelings so I dropped it. I sleep so much better when I don't have to nudge hubby to stop him from snoring. Sometimes nudging doesn't work so I just have to live with it....sigh. To be like the royalty of old, separate bedrooms would be heaven. And you are right, that doesn't mean you can't have sex!!! But when the snoring starts it would be great to be able to retreat to my own QUIET space.

Oh well..... ;) Thanks for saying out loud what I've been thinking for years!

I remember reading that even among upper middle class folks, even into the 20th century it was considered "crass" for a married couple who could afford separate bedrooms to share a room. It implied that they couldn't go a single night without sex or that they didn't trust each other to remain faithful (or at least that apparently was often the gossip of the day - whether or not anyone seriously believed such things I'm not sure).

I've often teased my husband that my idea of the perfect marriage has always been a "his and hers" duplexe. I love living alone and always have. I have learned to appreciate having my husband around most of the time (luckily with both of us on disability, we're forced to practically be joined at the hip), but the bed is still a place I enjoy having to myself.

Even when I was a little girl, I HATED sharing a bed with ANYONE, because I hated sleeping in a too warm bed. I'm very sensitive to temperature, and overheat very easily, and sharing a bed (sometimes even sleeping alone) I often get too warm. Even as a kid, having friends sleep over, I hated sharing my full sized bed, because even if there was no bodily contact at all, it always seemd to heat up the bed too fast.

When hubby and I had the double queens, at least there was always a "cool spot" I could move to.

If I get too warm, I can't sleep and have to get out of bed to let the mattress cool down for a while. Hubby doesn't even ask anymore "where're you going?" If I get up in the middle of the night, it's either to go to the bathroom or to work on the computer for a while to let the mattress cool
down.

JustSharing83
03-04-2010, 06:22 AM
My husband and I share a queen bed... Since we are both larger people, I'd say it's just enough room. However, I don't want anyone near me when I am sleeping and I am in Heaven when we stay in hotel rooms with king beds, so I would love to have one of my own, it's just an unnecessary expense right now. The queen is still a lot better than what we had while dating - I had a full bed and he had a futon, not good, lol.

-edit- Oh, and for the record, I am totally the bed hog!! I have to have something against my back (just not a person!) so I lean on a pillow and I hug another, so I take up extra room for those.

brijjy76
03-04-2010, 07:58 AM
We have a king size bed but ideally I would love different houses on different continents! Only joking! When we were first going out we used to both sleep together in a single bed! Madness! The king size is fine but apparently I snore and he is very twitchy so seperate rooms would be lovely.

shantroy
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I've often teased my husband that my idea of the perfect marriage has always been a "his and hers" duplexe.

Kaplods, that's exactly what my bf and I say! We joke about wanting a duplex and putting a conjoining door on the top floor. I love my space and alone time and so does he. We've been together almost 4 years, and have yet to move in together, because it would wind up being justifiable homicide (or so we joke!). My mom's good friend, has been married for 10 year to her second husband and they live in separate houses. He lives across the street. They have dinner together every night, and spend most nights a week together, but can both venture to their separate houses when they need space. I love this idea, but know most people don't find it normal.....

AnnieDrews
03-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Kaplods, that's exactly what my bf and I say! We joke about wanting a duplex and putting a conjoining door on the top floor. I love my space and alone time and so does he. We've been together almost 4 years, and have yet to move in together, because it would wind up being justifiable homicide (or so we joke!). My mom's good friend, has been married for 10 year to her second husband and they live in separate houses. He lives across the street. They have dinner together every night, and spend most nights a week together, but can both venture to their separate houses when they need space. I love this idea, but know most people don't find it normal.....

This is the plan for my fiance and I when we marry. I am staying where I'm at so my youngest can finish school here and be near his Dad and his grandparents. I will move out to fiance's after he gets out of school. Fiance lives 45 minutes away in the country, so it is always like a mini-vacation when I go out to see him.:)

BTW, he has a king size bed and I have a queen. We always stay together at his house, and I will never want anything smaller than a king. I still wake up a lot when I stay there. It may be just because I don't "live" there permanently, but I never get a great night's sleep. The ultimate would be to have the arrangement of separate beds. I love sleeping together and snuggling, but it has never been conducive to good sleep for me.

DianaG
03-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Interesting question. When we were first married we had a King size bed and we were both at our thinnest. Here we are 20 years later and we share a Queen size bed and we are both up about 90-100 lbs from where we were 20 years ago.

I like to cuddle this time of year, so the bed is big enough for us, but in the hot summers I could do without the body heat of cuddling up close together and end up hugging the edge of the bed to keep cool.:(

I think it is more a climate problem then a bed size one though.

chikygrl13
03-05-2010, 02:59 AM
I LOVE MY BED!!!!
We have a California King, with a memory foam mattress topper.
I tend to kick and flail in my sleep (I always have), and my boyfriend has a CPAP (for his sleep apnea). We are also both 300 lbs... it's nice, we can sleep all night and NEVER come into contact with each other. And with the memory foam the bed doesn't move so much when either of us gets up in the middle of the night.
We also have a lovely down feather comforter that is big enough that one of us doesn't hog it! and 600 thread count egyptian cotton... I splurge on my bed!!

CanadianCutie
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Let's see, my man and I have slept in a full size futon mattress, so I'm guessing that would be about a double, then we got a queen size bed, which is wonderful. We love to cuddle before bed, but tend to keep to ourselves when we're sleeping. I have a king at home in Canada (leftover from when I was with my ex) which me and one of my cats currently share, but she's a total bed hog, and loves to cuddle/sleep right on top of me.

Shopaholic1204
03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
We have a queen, but we would love a king!! We stayed at several hotels on our move to Maryland, that had a king size bed. And we just loved it. Although, it did get kind of lonely, lol!! He was too far away.

Dippy Chip
03-07-2010, 05:20 PM
My husband and I have been together for 20 years, and we've happily shared a 4'6" standard double bed for that entire time. After a quick kiss and cuddle or 5 minutes or so of spooning we're both too hot and fidgety for any more snuggling, so we kiss goodnight and each turn on our side so that we're facing away from each other, with maybe 6" of space between us....and that's where each of us stays comfortably until morning.

Even if we're apart for a night and sleeping alone in the double bed, neither of us strays onto the other side...it would just feel 'wrong' somehow to invade the other person's space...

...Does that make us weird??? :lol:

briters89
03-08-2010, 01:21 AM
My husband and I recently got married this past November. I had a queen size bed, and my husband had a twin. We want to keep the twin for our future child, but only have 2 bedrooms, one being the office, one being our bedroom. So we have a TINY bedroom, consisting of a twin size bed, put up against the queen bed, making up a humungous bed! It is about 8 feet wide. Crazy! But we both like our space, so although we just use the queen, I will wake up and be half on both beds. Ideally, we will buy a house in the near future, and get a king size bed, and put both beds in their own rooms!

lolajean624
03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
My hubby and I have been married 15 years. When we first got married we slept in the king size waterbed he'd had forever. That was very weird to get used to - especially hard at 9 months pregnant - I couldn't get out! When we moved to the house we live in now, we bought a new Queen size water bed with better baffles. It is the most comfy spot in the house. Especially when it's cold outside because we can warm the bed up. Honestly, I end up on the couch fairly often because our sleep schedules are so different that one of the other of us is bound to wake the other if I don't. He leaves for work at 4:30 am and I'm a night owl. So I don't want to wake him up when I come to bed and don't particularly want to wake up when he gets up in the morning. One triumph of weight loss is that I no longer snore - which used to send him to the couch from time to time. Good thing our couch is good for sleeping on! :)

ChickieChicks
10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Queen bed for the first four years, and a king ever since (five years).

I, too, do not like to snuggle and spoon while sleeping. I like a good distance, because I sleep terribly anyway, and every little disturbance drives me crazy. I honestly don't titmice that much of a difference between the queen and king, though.

dstalksalot
10-18-2012, 10:40 AM
We had a full for about 10 years and was fine but just recently upgraded to a queen sleep by number. We love it. Best bed ever

joefla70
10-18-2012, 11:57 AM
For about 8 years my wife and I had a queen size bed. We are both big, so it was a little cramped -- especially when our 3 year old (at the time) used to crawl into the middle of the bed with us! Then I had to sleep on my side and not all of me was on the bed! We now have a king size bed and it is a huge difference. I am glad we upgraded.

TurboMammoth
10-18-2012, 12:40 PM
My boyfriend and I have a standard double bed (under the queen size). It is sooo small LOL but are used to it.

We rented an hotel room with a king size bed 2 years ago when we were traveling and we were like amazed by how BIG it was. The sentence ''god, where are you I can't find your anywhere!?'' was pronounced.

healthyangie
10-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Started with a king full wave water bed, got a regular california King when we had our son and then I went through a ton of surgeries on my shoulders/elbows where I had to sleep sitting up and wedged in (slept in a lazy boy for 6 months!), so now we
have a number bed, it's a split king so basically two twins next to each other because both sides are adjustable for positions and air level. LOVE IT! But was VERY expensive.

sacha
10-18-2012, 01:03 PM
We have a king size bed that fits a 240lb man, 160ishlb pregnant woman, occasionally a 40lb toddler, and by next week, a newborn!! ;) We all sleep quite comfortably.

healthyangie
10-18-2012, 01:06 PM
We have a king size bed that fits a 240lb man, 160ishlb pregnant woman, occasionally a 40lb toddler, and by next week, a newborn!! ;) We all sleep quite comfortably.

Oh! Good luck!!!!! How exciting!

alaskanlaughter
10-18-2012, 01:42 PM
we have a queen bed and it suits us just fine...unless little son wants to crawl in the middle and then its WAY too crowded lol...i dont like being up against anyone's body during sleep because i tend to overheat and get super sweaty in my sleep and wake up uncomfortable...we do what others have said, cuddle until nearly asleep, then each roll over into a comfortable position to go to sleep...sometimes we "bump butts" where we each face the other way and scoot our backs/butts together still :)

healthyangie
10-18-2012, 01:59 PM

As a coincidence side note - my son was born 10/31 2000. We have the COOLEST birthday parties :D

And when I call him my "Pumpkin" he can't argue much!

Daki
10-18-2012, 09:07 PM
My fiance and I sleep in a queen. We have every intention of getting a king. We like to snuggle when it's a little chilly out and not touch when it's hot out. My issue is I share the bed with two bed hogs. My fiance takes up about 70% of the bed and our 9 pound cat manages to steal about 10% despite my sleepy efforts to get her to move. I swear she might as well be a slab of concrete. Sooo this leaves me laying on my side after he and the cat come to bed haha.

masterptr
10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
we have king size but I don't think it is big enough
so what I do is, go to sleep in the main bedroom but when I wake up in the middle of the night, I move onto the second bedroom where I have a queen all to myself. I can turn, toss... no body touching me anywhere.. nice and cool.
:)
this has been going on for 12 years.
He is 6 ft. and weighs 160 lbs. I don't think it is about size...

Sinoia
10-18-2012, 10:44 PM
My partner and I have an emporer sized bed, which we invested in five years ago (after sharing a queen size for several years) when we moved to Germany. It is not a common size. It goes from queen, to king, to eastern king and then to emporer.

We both like to stretch out and tend to move around a lot in our sleep so this was a great solution. We also took the opportunity to finally get a super firm, memory foam mattress.

It all took a lot of getting used to, having loads of sleeping space plus a hard mattress but I cannot imagine it being otherwise now.

It is going to be a nightmare when we move. It has to be dismantled in order to get it out of the room.

pluckypear
10-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Wow an Emperor sized bed sounds so luxorious. I and my DH recently upgraded from a double to King and it is heaven. It seems huge. But it still seems DH takes up more space. When I say something he says "But I like to cuddle". :) He moves into my space to cuddle and I move over and he moves and so on and so on.

shcirerf
10-18-2012, 11:36 PM
I have been married for 35 years, we have slept in everything from a sleeping bag to now a queen.

The hub is a bed hog and a restless sleeper. Plus he dreams and sleep walks. He's actually shoved me off the bed, and kicked and punched me in his sleep. Granted that does not happen very often. I know when he's likely to have those episodes, and I sack out on the couch.

At the same time, he's had some serious injuries, whacked off a couple fingers at work, and through that we did not sleep together, to risky to smack the hand. Now he has heart condition and heartburn issues and is more restless than ever.

On good nights, we sleep together, on bad nights, one of us migrates to the couch. We have an awesome comfy couch.

Anyway, it's not about not wanting to sleep together, or the size of the bed, but about getting some sleep!

Not always sleeping together does not mean you don't love each other, it just means you need some sleep!

I'd rather one of us slept on the couch, one in the bed and get up in a good mood, instead of one sleeping and one waking up grumpy!

MrsTryingAgain
10-19-2012, 01:19 AM
H & I share a queen. It's not always comfortable though. H moves around a lot. Add the cat sleeping at the foot of the bed (on my side, of course) & I'm left with like a 1/3 of the bed. :-(
I'd love a a king, but it won't fit in our current bedroom. Maybe if we move into a new place. But I wonder if we might "get lost" in it! ;-) But least then he wouldn't snore in my ear!!!

XLMuffnTop
10-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Wow this is quite the old thread. :D

DH and I currently have a queen. We started off on a full and it was just too small for either of us to be comfy. We bot sleep in kind of a side semi fetal position, sometimes more on the belly, back-to-back. That just takes up some room. Plus, he gets icky sweaty at night and I like to move far away on those nights. lol So, when we move and have a bigger master, we plan on upgrading to a king.

We love our high density foam mattress also because it limits the disruption of sleep with one is tossing and turning. It transfers movement much less than a spring mattress. So... we'll get the same mattress in a king when the time comes.