Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #31  
Intuitive Eater

Wow, Carol! I didn't realize calcium could have such an impact on people. I've never heard of that.
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #32  

The name of the disease is sarcoidosis which consists of tiny granulomas in the lungs and elsewhere. They are filled with macrophages that cause the trouble with the calcium. It is an autoimmune disease. I barely understand it. ha!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #33  
I will make time!!!

thank you for the welcome, I'm in a hurry right now. But, I have questiongs/thoughts things to say about this diet, but I'll have to post them later. sigh.
SnowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #34  

I had a few surprises in the way of eating while on vacation. DH and I had Baskin Robbins ice cream for the first time in a long time. They don't have that around us. The first cone tasted really good but after the second I felt I could take it or leave it. That's something I haven't experienced. We did have a thing called pergochi. or something like that I had never had before. It was a meat pie and very good. I chose that instead of Chipotle like everyone else. That's one good thing....there were a lot of choices in downtown Seattle.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone,

Well, I haven't been here in a while, but I'm still around. to all the Newbies. It's good to see the activity here. I've been trying some low carb programs because like Blue, I have to watch the carb intake.

Blue - Since I have to watch my carbs, I have recently decided to incorporate the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet ideas with IE. I really believe it is very doable for me. I only eat high carb foods once a day, but I eat only when I'm hungry. Then I eat until satisfied. I don't like feeling full and I don't eat if I'm not hungry. I never eat just because it is time to eat. I understand where you are coming from. I don't want to get back into the diet thinking and yet I know I must control the carbs to control cravings. I always like the concept of CAD and I can make it work with IE for me. It seems to me that everyone does IE in a way that works for them. And that is the way I think we have to do IE... do it the way that it works for us.

Carolr - Thanks for the blog and the youtube info and all you share. I will check it out tomorrow.

Good night.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-22-2009 at 01:01 AM.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #36  

Hi Trish. Good to see that you are working this out for yourself. I know it is summer because I'm just not really hungry lately. But, just like our kitties, when the fall weather hits I get hungrier. Do you know the difference between Atkins and South Beach? I'm on another board and a guy there has lost about 50lb in less than 2 months on South Beach. He was over 400lb, however.

Last edited by carolr3639; 07-22-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Huge difference between Atkins and South Beach.

Atkins restricts carbs period (20g on induction, and slowly raised from there as tolerated), and does NOT restrict fat. It's more of a high fat WOE than high protein. The goal is to be in ketosis.

South Beach restricts refined carbs, but not whole grain / fruit carbs per se (although in practice those on the diet seem to feel they have to be careful with them). But even Phase 1 is much higher carb than Atkins. South Beach does not put you in ketosis. In fact, in Phase 1 you're *supposed* to included servings of dairy and beans that will put you over Atkins induction carb levels. It is also about low-fat dairy and lean mean cuts, whereas Atkins is about full-fat.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #38  

Why oh why do I try dieting. I really don't know. I am so tired of it. I've been dieting for 40+ years. I have been following low carbing for almost 2 months and my weight is up this morning. I am through with dieting. I am doing a Journal on the pc regarding my feelings and reading my IE book again.

carolr - thanks for the articles and websites. I appreciate them.

I am also enjoying reading what everyone has written.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #39  
Intuitive Eater

Hi everyone, not much time this morning so just a quick pop-in for me.

Trish, I hear ya! I stopped counting my carbs because it was causing me to stay in diet mode. I'm just winging it now. Yesterday all I wanted was carbs (backlash, I guess) and enjoyed everything from spaghetti to donuts to french fries I wasn't even hungry for. lol What a struggle this is. But, in spite of all that the scale was good to me. I think I somehow finally flushed out a bunch of water weight I was holding on to, which is always nice to see go!

I tried the carbohydrate addicts diet a few years ago and I managed to break even on it. Never lost any weight, but I did eat as much as I wanted to without gaining either. We'll find what works! Hang in there!

Have a great one everyone!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #40  

Lots of company here again now. I'm so thankful for IE at times like this. My DD asked me if I had lost more weight. She thought I looked thinner. I might have lost a little on vacation because I didn't feel well. I really don't think so but it was nice of her to ask.

Last edited by carolr3639; 07-24-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #41  

Blue - Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I am trying to be sure I get my minimum fiber, but everything is done according to IE. It is amazing to me how I respond to food on IE. When on low carb, I got hungry for ice cream. So I bought some when I decided to do CAD. The strange thing is that now that I can have it, I do not want it. The thought of it makes me feel sick. Isn't that weird?

I went to the store today and bought foods I like and most of those are healthy foods. Not because I'm on a diet saying that I have to eat it but because that is what I really want. It just seems that once I you tell me I have to eat it, I rebel, but when I don't "have to" eat it any more I find that is exactly what I want.

I think that I have come to the place where I am just "burned out" on diets, especially after too many years of all the "Diet" thinking. I woke up a few days ago and realized that I'm going to be 66 yrs old next month and I have spent most of the last 46 years on some kind of a diet and I am tired of it. Just can't do it any more.

I'm sorry for venting my feelings here. I know things will get better.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #42  

Trish, the reason we get discouraged, I think, is because IE takes longer. But after 2 yr. of being faithful to IE people are always asking me if I have lost weight even though I'm a long way from thin. Just keep swimming, swimming.....
Old 07-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Thank You Carol! I am new at this diet, going to check with some resale stores see if i can find a book. Right now its just eating till your full, making healthy choices and keeping God first right? I can do that!
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #44  

Thanks carolr. I really believe IE is the only thing I can do right now. Remember the first story in the IE book about the woman named Sandra? She walked into the office and said "I just can't do another diet: you are my last resort."? That is the way I feel. I get the impression so far from what I've read that this is the place we have to come to with IE.

I have dieted for so many years that I have evolved into a "Professional Dieter". I think this is why IE has been so difficult for me to get hold of and hang on to. This time I have to really stick with the IE program and make it mine. It really is the way I ate up until my 20's when I began to take on "other" peoples ideas of what was "their ideas" of what was a "healthy" way to eat. Somehow I have to learn to trust myself and those old ways that were "really" my healthy ways of eating for me. I sure hope I can do it this time.

I was just reading something I got from another IE thread that says our focus should be to achieve and maintain a healthy, comfortable weight not focused on getting thin at any cost. As we learn to look after ourselves and our bodies in the best way we can, our weight and size will evolve to the healthiest level that is possible. I am going to do my best at making this my focus.

Blue, Julie, SnowWolf and IE lurkers

Y'all have a great weekend.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-25-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #45  

I thought maybe I would try to share here what I am learning about my IE Journey. I am reading the Tribole and Resch IE book again and will try to put into action in my life. I was reading about Principle #1 Reject The Diet Mentality. According to the book, I have to stop thinking nutrition for now. As a Professional Dieter personality, I spend so much time thinking "nutrition" over the years. I spend a lot of time reading and trying to learn more about nutrition so I can be sure to eat more nutritious foods. I can almost tell why I eat certain foods to keep myself on a good healthy Diet. Example, Blueberries for antioxidants and for eyes, oatmeal for cholestrol, bananas for blood pressure, etc. They ask the question in the book "has it worked?" Well, I'm sure it does some good things for my health, but it has done nothing for weight loss. If anything, I've gained weight over the years. They say nutrition can be respected and honored, but it cannot be the 1st priority when you have dieted all your life. In fact, it must be ignored because it interferes with the process of re-learning how to become an Intuitive Eater. So starting today, I will start working on Principle #1 "Reject the Diet Mentality" and I suspect it will also be a struggle to work to ignore nutrition for now.

I hope by sharing this that it will help others who may be experiencing the same struggles that I am.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-25-2009 at 05:42 PM.