Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: August 16 - 31, 2008

Mel
08-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Wow, summer really is winding down. DS just returned last night from his summer job as a camp counselor complete with a summer's load of mud, and dd and the bf leave today for a week and a half in New England before heading back to their respective new lives as fledgling attorneys. I have a feeling I'm not going to see her as much or for as long for a few years :cry:

I jogged outside yesterday and have a creaky back and hips to prove it. Not sure if it's old age or old shoes or both. Lifting was a goof off of balance exercises and a few arm exercises. It wasn't a scheduled workout, but dd and bf wanted to go to the gym. I worked on "bows and toes" on two stability balls and STILL can't do it. I can do shins on one ball and elbows on the other, but I just can't get on my toes. Very frustrating! even so, it's a darned good ab and strength exercise. Think Super Plank!

Cheryl, I'd definitely go one leg at a time for your hamstrings. There are a few useful machines in most gyms ;) and I think in your case a standing ham curl or a prone ham curl done one leg a a time would be good. If you don't have access, another idea that used to cause my clients to curse me is a one legged bridge dip. Lie on your back with one leg up on a step (5-8 inches). Scoot your butt down as close to the step a possible so that your knee is bent. go up into a prone bridge and lift the other leg straight, at about a 45% angle to the floor. Now dip up and down on the bent knee. The is a great hamstring workout but can cause some people to cramp. STOP if you cramp.

Breakfast is ready- gotta go!

Mel

denvertechchick
08-16-2008, 12:37 PM
OK - what's the calorie burn of jumping up and down in total joy for Michael Phelps for 2 weeks? GO MICHAEL, you ROCK, we are SO HAPPY for you!!!

Denver is rainy and thundery today. It's a nice change from the ghastly heat we've had this summer. PhotoChick, are you here for the DNC? Let me know if you want to find a healthy place for lunch - we've got lots!

So my gym has a whole bunch of new pieces this week - Hoist Roc-It Plate loaded machines. Very mysterious leg press machine where the whole thing moves and the plates rest behind your shoulders. I had to ask the front desk staff for a demo on this thing. It was much like a carnival ride, and I was taking too much stress into my shoulders, so I switched back to the regular incline leg press. Good workout, though!

I've decided that I need a training session. I want to go through all the machines and learn them correctly. It's been years. I tried to do lunges but wow it's hard to keep my balance. I am fatter than I think!

So 12 weeks is up. I am down 12 pounds and a measly 3 inches. Boo. I know I can do better. My nutrition was NOT GOOD over the last 6 weeks. know why - there were some life stressors that were out of my control, and I dealt with it by stuffing food in my face. Now I know that I must deal with stress by keeping my eating under control.

However, I have made strength gains, and my clothes do fit better. It is worth it, even though my dieting was not good. So this next challenge, back on the horse, and eating on track - NO MATTER WHAT!

Lifeguard
08-16-2008, 02:14 PM
denvertechchick - 12lb in 12 weeks is nothing to complain about - that's great! congrats!

Tomato
08-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Denverchick,
congrats on your 12 lb loss in 12 weeks - nice and steday, that's perfect! Don't worry about the 3", soon it will be more.
I wish I had measured my thighs in February when I started this weight loss adventure. I have a pair of jeans that I downsized to (an old pair, bought approx. 4 yrs ago) and I still wear them, but it is unbelievable how loose in the thighs they have become. Fortunately, when I signed up at the gym at the end of April, I got measured so I will ask them to remeasure me at my retest on August 27th. I must have lost like 2" in the thighs (that is, each).
At home, I measured only boobs-waist-hips.

I had a good workout today. Half an hour core class (a new instructor as our usual ones are at some fitness convention in Toronto - I had a class with this instructor once before and she is great. Barely 5 feet but she is one fierce lady. :-) I like having a new instructor every once in a while because he/she will come with different exercises and different routines). Then I spent an hour doing weights and machines. The 110 lbs assistance on the Gravitron is getting easier (I started at 140 lbs so I think it's a progress) - that means I am lifting somewhere around 37% of my own weight. Chin ups are easier than dips but I usually manage about 20 dips (with my eyes rolling and my face grimacing. I am not producing audio effects though like some of the guys). :-)

Mel
08-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Denver- 12 lbs in 12 weeks with muscle building is great! I think your mysterious let press machine sound like a hack squat machine. I always get "squat hickeys" on my shoulders when I use it :rofl: Between those and the "chafing handcuff" look when I use straps for heavy deadlifts, my dh sometimes questions what I really do at the gym :dizzy:

:wave: Hi, LG! How are you feeling?

Tomato- YAY for progress!

I'm been yanking weeds and transplanting plants all day and am hot and itchy. Legs later this afternoon.

Mel

midwife
08-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey Denver, congrats on the 12 pounds! :bravo:

denvertechchick
08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Aw, shucks, you guys, you are the best. I have been inspired by Mel, Meg, Mrs. Jim, and so many others here. Thank you for sharing your stories and wisdom.

I really do need to be hard on myself for the nutrition portion of things, though. I truly need to do a better job. And I don't get nearly enough protein. I just don't like meat. I struggle to get 90 grams of protein, and if I'm supposed to be eating 1 gram per pound - well, that's 240 grams! Yikes! How to get that when I gain weight if I eat more than 2200 calories per day? It's not easy, and I need to do a better job at this.

Fitday now has body measurements! Moods, too, but as I'm perpetually grumpy that isn't a big deal for me. ;)

Tomato, I wish, wish, wish we had a Gravitron. As it is I'm on the assisted lift with plates. Last time I checked, I could do 127 pounds 3x. Someday I'll do a unassisted lift. Someday. My goal is to have Linda Hamilton arms. I will get there.

Mel, that machine is a combo leg press machine. It does have a hack squat quality to it, but your body is more horizontal. It's a weird feeling and I have to say I'm not a fan of shoulder pressure. I know I should just be walking away from the machines and doing squats instead! That is a goal of mine, too.

The guys at the gym recognize me now. They say hello when I'm walking to and from the gym. It's nice to know that I'm there enough for them to recognize me! The pattern of success! :carrot:

Cheryl, if you want a great hamstring workout, come on over and help me pull some weeds! Whenever I weed the garden, my hams hurt for days after.

Lifeguard, how is Costa Rica treating you?

Hope everyone has a <insert hans & frans voice here> HUUUUUGE </voice> weekend!

Mel
08-18-2008, 08:16 AM
It's "back to basics" Monday here for me. The weekend was an emotional food disaster and my Saturday workout didn't. Lot's of yard work, but it's just not the same.

I have another "little black dress" challenge for the next two weeks. Eating totally clean and getting EVERY workout should undo the weekend. Yeesh- that's sad!

Cardio done,food packed....

Mel

jamsk8r
08-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Denver, are you using a protein powder? That's a lot of protein without adding a lot of cals. You can add it to foods you are already eating, or make a shake from it that you can drink. I think that's the only way anybody gets the added protein without going over their calories for the day. WTG on the 12 lbs! I'd kill for 12 lbs in twelve weeks!

Mel, you're just evil, that's what you are. ;) Just kidding. Thanks for the info on ham exercises. Today is cardio for me, but I think while I'm there, I will check out the leg machine selection. I've never actually looked at any of them up close, so I'm not sure what options I have. Good luck with your LBD challenge!

Tomato, that is awesome progress on the chins! I find dips easier than chins or pull-ups, but I still can't do one unassisted....yet!

elisa822
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
While we're on the subject of protein, anyone want to share what they do with their protein powder, besides mixing it in a drink or a smoothie, of course.

I've heard lots of references of people talking about mixing it in different foods but I need specifics. In what and how much? I need to buy some protein powder and I think I'll go with a vanilla flavour this time, hopefully leaving me with more options than the chocolate.

Any tips would be appreciated....thanks!

:D

Mel
08-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Elissa- I used to bake with it, mix a scoop into oatmeal, or mix a scoop with a little water and peanut butter into a paste to eat on either an apple or a rice cake. Until I couldn't control the peanut butter ratio....:o

midwife
08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I mix mine into oatmeal like Mel. In fact, I need to go buy some more vanilla protein powder for just that reason!

My workouts with my trainer are definately getting harder and harder. Yesterday I felt like I needed 2 protein shakes after---one for my legs and one for my arms, cause both body parts were making themselves heard very acutely. :lol:

Also, am I weird that I love my calluses?

denvertechchick
08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey midwife, how is your bike treating you? I took the day off - I have errands and appointments, but after that, I'm going cruising! :bike: :D

Mel, good luck on the dress challenge! I know you'll do it!

Ah, protein powder. I will have to experiment. I finally found a way to eat cottage cheese. I mixed it with a little plain fat free yogurt (Greek yogurt is best if you can find it) and a little fat free sour cream, then added garlic salt, onion powder and cayenne. Makes a great vegetable dip!

The scale is up today, but the tape measure is holding steady and even a little smaller, so I'm chalking it up to TOM.

You are right, Cheryl - I have to do some kind of supplement or I'm never going to get there. I struggle just to get 100 grams of protein in. How people get over 200g is a mystery. Well, I'll just have to get myself back down to 1nderland.

Hope you all have a great day!

elisa822
08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I definitely need my protein shake (with milk!) to get in my protein but I'm pretty sure Mel does just fine without it.

For me, maybe if I were at home during the day,that would help since I could make an egg white omlette etc. but I struggle for enough protein at the best of times. I have to force myself to have, what is for me, large amounts of protein at every meal to even come close. I think this just comes from years of "low fat" eating. My tendency is for high carb meals if I don't really try.

Mel
08-20-2008, 08:09 AM
High carb just makes me feel awful- I'm not home at all during the day either, but pack everything. mid-morning snack is a gladware container of yogurt and cottage cheese (1/2 a cup of each), lunch is some sort of protein (chicken breast, turkey, turkey chili, fish, over a large salad with a couple of spoonsful of brown rice or chick peas, mid afternoon snack is a fruit with 2 low fat cheese stick or a shake or a *gasp* protein bar. Dinner is always some sort of lean protein with a huge salad, and another green vegie. I make an additional carb for the guys.

Denver- I really don't think you need to get into the 200's for grams of protein! My motto has always been to eat for the body that you want. I would think that 140-150 would be PLENTY!

Cardio done, shoulders at lunch time. I found a new way to do standing ham curls at my gym which is lacking in hamstring equipment. Where there's a will, there's a way! But I'm hurtin' this morning :lol:

Have a good one!

denvertechchick
08-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Good morning all,

Mel - let us know your hamstring secret!!

My doc and I worked out a protein goal for me. We used my body weight in pounds divided by 2.2 to get kilograms, then x1 for protein grams. Of course this is taking into account my workouts and goals, too. I know that it may not work for everyone. Hope it works for me.

Midwife - glad you've made peace with calluses! How are you feeling today?

Went for a lovely bike ride last night. It was a buggy night, though.

Hope you all have a great day!

Tomato
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I have a problem getting enough protein myself. I have never been a vegetarian but I tried to limit the amount of meat I ate (under the influence of various articles I read - really, depending on what one reads, the advice can be completely controversial) but I am pretty sure I made up for the lack of meat by a lot of carbs. That was in my past life, before I became a chick. :D

I am thinking I should check if there is any protein powder that would easily lend itself to being added to other foods. Nothing wrong with making a fruit shake with it, but I don't think I want to add strawberry-flavoured protein powder to my meatloaf, for example. :p

Denver, you did not like cottage cheese? I do like it, although I am floored by the HUGE amount of sodium in it. 1/2 cup has somewhere around 18 or 19% of the daily recommended amount. Isn't that crazy?

I stopped eating cereal for breakfast in an attempt to get more protein into myself in the morning (so now make my own version of the protein pancakes) but that had a negative effect on the, um, "waste management system". So I added cereal back, in the form of 1/2 cup of Fiber One, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and a layer of blueberries on top. I keep it layered as described and I actually consider it my dessert as the blueberries give it sweet taste. My afternoon cheesecake. :D

Lydia227
08-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Good Morning Everyone :coffee:

Wow, I'm really behind on posts but I just wanted to shout out a congratulations to Denvertechchick for her twelve pound loss. :hug:

Protein. That hasn't been to difficult for me to consume. :lol: Like most others here I mix the lovely vanilla powder into my oatmeal and cottage cheese for breakfast. I actually crave it each morning. :hungry: My DH has another name for it. :s: Usually if I find myself really hungry after finishing a meal or knew it was a little light in protein at the end of the day I will mix up some protein powder in milk or water depending upon my intake for the day. Usually makes me feel much more satisfied. As far as other foods it could be mixed in, has anyone mixed it in their sugarfree fat free pudding? Just a sudden thought.

I am loving these early bird workouts. Today was the first day of school for our sons and DH had them showered, fed, and dressed when I got home from the gym. :love: I was able to pick up where he left off and got the boys there on time. This will give me the morning hours to myself to just get stuff done! Oh the peace and quiet in my own head. :goodvibes: It's been years...

Mel: Which reminds me, you sounded so sad about your daughter beginning her career. :hug: Well, at least you will know where your workout shorts are for a while. :lol: Seriously, I hope that it won't be nearly as lonely as you imagine. Hopefully the two of you will be able see one another as frequently as you wish. If not, consider relocating when your son finishes school. That's my plan for the boys. I'm just going to follow them wherever they go. :devil:

One of the things that I have discovered after having children is that I spend a lot more time with my mom than I did before I had them. Mostly because it's a clean, quiet place for me hideout for a few hours on the weekend. I'm starting to not need this escape as much now but wow, when the youngest one was between two and four my mother's home felt like a retreat! Best of luck through this phase. Not that I'm going to remember this when my eldest leaves for college, begins working, gets married...:^:

Make it a great one everyone!

midwife
08-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey Denver,
I am sore all over again! My hamstrings are hollering at me big time. Did you have a nice bike ride? My goal is to ride at least once a week. Not sure I'll reach that goal this week.

Mel, I can only imagine how tough it is to have your DD move away. My oldest in a Junior in high school and I am already sad at the thought of her leaving. :hug:

Tomato, I laughed at the strawberry/meatloaf thought. My "afternoon cheesecake" sounds a lot like yours, cottage cheese with blueberries, walnuts and honey. Yum! The sodium piece is obnoxious....if I have to ever go low sodium, what will I eat?

I've also spent a lot of time limiting the meat in my diet until now. Truth is I've been a vegetarian eater off and on through my life. I would be happy to go meat free but I keep pondering the protein aspect for my life. I could stick to ovo-lacto and buy as local and humane as I can I suppose. I have a friend with happy chickens that lay eggs for her. Her turkey is kind of mean though---if the turkey chases the chickens, are the chickens still happy? Where she lives is zoned for farm animals....my neighborhood, not so much! But I have noticed when I go for my predawn runs in the mornings, someone in my neighborhood has a rooster. Go figure!

I know there are vegans who get enough protein....I just need to figure it out. My goal is 150 gms a day, with complex carbs limited to about 50, free fruits & veggies.

Mel
08-20-2008, 07:16 PM
OK, who laid the big hurt on my hamstrings? :tantrum: :rofl:

My gym has no standing curl machine or lying curl, so I've done a LOT of deadlifts. It's a great exercise, but I like to superset with a real isolation exercise. We have a Freemotion cable driven leg extension machine which I personally think may be one of the silliest things ever made. I stood facing it, grasped the seat, and hooked one foot backwards into the little boot thing. Then I stood on a reebok step to get my knee up to the level of the seat and stabilize it. Curl leg up, repeat. Switch legs, repeat. Ouch, ouch, ouch!

Thanks for all the sympathy about my dd, but she actually moved out 8 years ago. She's been in school all that time and had long breaks. She starts as an attorney in September and new associates are expected to work 24/7/52! Up to now she's been able to come here for week long visits, or I go see her for several days at a time. It's just going to be different now.

BTW, Lydia, I'm trying to convince ds to go to university in western PA or Ohio, and I've already picked out where I want to live in German Village :)

Midwife- When I was doing nutritional counseling, I had the most problems with vegans. I just could NOT come up with enough protein without too many calories.

Mel

Tomato
08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Midwife - the high amount of sodium in cottage cheese really bothers me but it looks like there is only brand of cottage cheese available and that's it. I have to shoot to the grocery store during my lunch break today (I have no blueberries for my cheesecake!!!! - oh horrors!), it is one where I don't go on a regular basis, maybe they will have something different. I started to mix the cottage cheese with plain yogurt, which cuts down on the sodium somewhat but as a side effect, it also cuts down on the protein. Sometimes the nutrition thing can be a bit frustrating.

Lydia227
08-21-2008, 02:24 PM
My "afternoon cheesecake" sounds a lot like yours, cottage cheese with blueberries, walnuts and honey. Yum! The sodium piece is obnoxious....if I have to ever go low sodium, what will I eat?

What?! You mean cottage cheese is NOT the perfect food?! I remember others being concerned with the sodium levels of ccheese but I really disregarded. I just checked it. MHmmm! Yep, 390 or 460mg depending upon the brand in my fridge. (Store brand was lower in sodium.) I have about a two servings of this a day and that alone almost meets the lower US RDA of 1,100 to 3,300mg. :chin: Interesting. I don't think my overall intake is high. I don't use salt in anything else and I eat very little luncheon meat if any. Something to watch though. Thanks ladies.

Mel: German Village is nice. I wouldn't talk you out of that. Well, except maybe in the winter when they can't really clear out the cobblestone streets but hey, when was the last time we had a blizzard? Oh, right, last year. :rofl: No really, it's a nice area and walking distance to a lot of great places.

Midwife: Mel brings up a good point about the vegan diet. My DH was a vegetarian for several years. I cooked everything from scratch. One of my (many) complaints was that I just never felt satisfied at the end of the meal. As a result I would just keep loading up on starches. I had the most frustrating time trying to lose weight while cooking this way. I'm sure there are others out there who have successfully lost and maintained on a vegan diet and I would be interested to know what their meals look like. If any of your wish to share, please do. :listen:

Today was a fun cardio session on the elliptical. Needed to give the joints a rest after yesterday's treadmill run. I did upper body but held back a little bit. Today is a full day of playdates for preschoolers and fifth graders, followed by two back to back parent nights at separate schools. My last night of yoga was tonight too but I won't be able to get there. ~sigh~ Given the current condition of my right hamstring it really is just as well.

Tomorrow is my first normal free day. I'm thinking it may be a good day to go for a ride. Have I mentioned that I LOVE MY BIKE! :D ZOOOOOOMMMMM

Enjoy the afternoon!

Tomato
08-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Lydia - I believe that Josephine (Tyler Durden) is a vegan. I think she has something in this sense on her blog. You may want to check with her.
Well, I went to the grocery store and I came back with the usual (i.e. Nordica) cottage cheese again. It's from Gay Lea and the label says 1/2 cup has 430 mg of sodium which represents 18% :fr: of RDA. The store brand went quickly back on the shelf - I forgot the number of mg but the percentage was 25% of RDA. Are the food manufacturers completely insane?

zinkemomx2
08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Lydia - I believe that Josephine (Tyler Durden) is a vegan. I think she has something in this sense on her blog. You may want to check with her.

Josephine is vegan. So is Heather (Fat Chick B Gone). I think SoulBliss might be vegan as well.

jamsk8r
08-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Hey all. Today, ds11 and I put up about 6 quarts of blackberries and a winter's worth of zucchini (at least). Made it through all the zukes, but had to stop on the berries since we ran out of room for spacing those out in the freezer. My kitchen is cleaned up, the boy took off with his aunt for the evening, so I'm going to get changed, hit the bank, and go do something at the Y, even if it's wrong!

elisa822
08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm off tomorrow for a quick weekend in NY! :carrot:

What that means is lots and lots of walking, along with lots and lots of food! ;) I always splurge when I'm there and I try not to feel too badly about it because it's once a year and I look soooo forward to it.

Food has been a challenge all summer but it's coming to an end and I want to enjoy what's left of it. Not much damage considering!

Sorry for the quick, impersonal, post but I've got to finish packing.

sportmom
08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, as you all know, I've had the love/hate relationship with ccheese for the last 2-3 years. I keep trying it in different combinations thinking I can convert my tastebuds but always fail. NOW! You all have given me a gift!! With my stones prevention diet, I have to really, really watch the sodium! You've given me my gift - ccheese must NOW be on my banned list!! Wahoo - no more love/hate! YES! Lydia, like you, I walked around saying - wow, never use a salt shaker at home, don't add salt when cooking, don't eat chips/lunch meat. Then, after this health fiasco I started keeping a food log of alot of weird nutrients (sodium, calcium, vit C, protein, etc). Sodium is the hidden enemy - if you use anything not compltely raw, it will sneak up and bite you -- even CHEERIOS! I actually switched back to cheerios bc the store brand had more sodium than the name brand.

sportmom
08-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Umm, ELISA.......... ;)

I believe you are the one with the issue with a certain hamburger/hot dog stand in NY??? Wasn't that you??? And DePalma or Robert was the one who outed you based on the description?!?! Looking forward to hearing ALL about it this time!!! LOL

Lydia227
08-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Hey Fran :hug:

I've been wondering how you were doing. Glad to help bring you peace with the cottage cheese issue. Cereal with sodium? Who knew.

Elisa: Go have a great time in NY. For myself, I'm spending time tomorrow afternoon celebrating my grandmother's 85th birthday. There will be cake involved. Not really an issue for me for some reason which is good. Maybe that's because I just had breakfast.

Workout done, all cardio today, 30 minutes on elliptical, 20 minutes on the treadmill and 15 minutes core. It was leg day but I needed to give the glutes a rest.

Have a great morning everyone.

Mel
08-22-2008, 08:36 AM
haha, Fran, where there's a will, there's a way. I knew you'd find a reason eventually to ban cottage cheese :rofl: How are you doing these days?

Elissa- Have fun in NY. Leave some hot dogs for the natives!

Morning, Lydia :wave: my glutes are just about healed and I'm going to demolish them tomorrow again :) Are we sick or :crazy:

Cardio done, probably no lifting today (ran out of body parts to abuse), so I'll probably do double cardio. I have GOT to fit into that LBD!

Mel

Tomato
08-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Elisa - enjoy your weekend in NY. I am envious!! I would love to go. Treat yourself to something nice (I mean a piece of clothing) on my behalf. LOL.
Don't worry about the food, you will walk it off. Make sure you keep drinking your H2O.

Sportmom - sodium is in everything. One thing that irritates me most is frozen salmon entrees. When I make salmon at home, I never use salt - it is perfect as is. I see no need add any salt to it.
Grocery shopping is very time consuming for me because I read labels very carefully and sometimes it is a struggle to decide between two variants of the same item. Do I get the one with more sodium but less carbs? or the one with more carbs but also more protein? etc. etc.

I am visiting a friend in Toronto tomorrow (and her rambunctious two greyhounds - mine appear physically challenged compared to hers - we are constantly peeling them off the ceiling - I will be licked to death) and hopefull we will go to see Mama Mia. (Colin Firth - :drool:)

I feel very behind these last two weeks. Old age sucks. It seems to take my muscles forever to recover from workouts. I did clock 5.2 miles on the treadmill this a.m. though.

jamsk8r
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Tomato, pretty much anything prepared/precooked and frozen is a sodium bomb, so I steer clear. I'm with you on the salmon...it shouldn't taste salty or fishy when it's cooked, but for some reason it's the "norm" for food manufacturers to try and put a salty taste back into seafood. Barf! I can't stand adding lemon or butter, either, myself...just the food, and of course garlic...there can never be too much garlic!

I did a short chest workout yesterday, just DB bench and flyes. Just could not gear up for a long workout, so just decided to keep it simple. It was fun, and a lot quicker getting through it. Might do another mini lifting session today, since I liked that so well...skating tonight.

WaterRat
08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I knew I was spoiled having fresh frozen salmon for a lot of reasons - now I'll add another! I do try to watch the sodium too and I seldom add salt when I'm cooking, except in baking bread and cooking oatmeal, and then I only use a fraction of what the recipe calls for. Commercial salad dressings are another place for hidden sodium. I usually make my own with little or no salt, and I get low sodium soy sauce as well. I'll be checking brands of cottage cheese when I shop. Haven't had any for a month of so since we've been home so sporadically.

It's at last a nice day here. Took a nice long walk at lunch. Met a GF and had a lovely shrimp salad, with carrots, cauliflower, and tomatos, and oh yeah, shrimp - lots of them! :)

I'm alone at work this afternoon. We're having the entry way and parts of the main library painted, so we're closed to the public. All of my PT people are off, 1 of my FT is on vacation, 1 worked 1/2 day, and the other two are at a class for the day. I'm enjoying the alone time - well, except there are 5 painters who wander through, and 2 IT guys. Alone just doesn't mean what it used to! :rofl:

DH is still on his remote wilderness canoe trip (back Tues/Wed) so I really am alone at home with 2 cats. I'm enjoying it too! Olympics on all the time I'm there.....

Have a great weekend. I see biking in mine if the weather stays nice.

Tomato
08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I am thinking I will schedule my workouts (i.e. weights and machines) so that they happen in the second half of the week as much as possible (wednesday - friday - sunday). I was at the gym tonight and there was like 5-6 cars parked and hardly anybody in. I really like it that way. Mondays are pretty bad, it is too packed for my liking.
Sunday evening appears to be the ideal time to hit the gym. :D

Mel
08-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Tomato, I see the same thing at my gym during the summer. Mondays are crazy! Then it tapers down through the week. I still will work out on Mondays, tho.

Pat- boy do I envy you the fresh salmon! Like the price of everything else, fresh fish prices (especially wild) have skyrocketed. My salary hasn't.

I did a double workout on Saturday- legs at 8:30 with my leg partner, then when we were done, I slugged down a quick protein shake and did a full body workout (not too intense) with my boss. I was tired more than sore. Lawn mowing finished up the day :) Sunday was spent "returning" and walking through several HUGE malls.

Cardio done- chest and back at the gym if I can find a ride. I'm wheel-less for a few days while dh's car is being repaired. He's owned it for exactly 2 months and was rear ended last week (not badly)! He was furious :mad:

Off to work....

Have a good one.

Lydia227
08-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Tomato: Same kind of attendance phenomenon at my gym too. It's even worse just after the new year and when the students are home from school in the summer. It really doesn't bother me though, I find my space and get to work.

Mel: So sorry about your DH car! Thankfully he is okay. You really did have a busy weekend. No mowing for us. The grass is dead. Instead I spent four hours powerwashing the patio and sidewalk path in the back of my house. DH helped by letting me use his hat so mine wouldn't get dirty. :s:

I'm overwhelmed with birthday preparations this week. All the men in my life were born in the last week of August. ~sigh~ It's like Christmas here. My sons were five years and one day apart and DH birthday is just three days before theirs. My grandmother celebrated her 85th birthday Saturday. We held a surprise party for her and really shocked her. It was the first time any of us had seen her cry. Poor thing, she was just beside herself. Great fun!

In anticipation of this week I'm keeping to my 5:30am workouts so that I can get things prepped for these upcoming birthday parties. :dizzy: Today was cardio and core. I skipped legs just to give the glutes a little more time to recover. They are finally feeling a whole lot better. I did one sun salutation which felt pretty good but I'm not going to push it.

By the way, I glanced at this article about the benefits of Vitamin C. Is everyone else aware of it's benefits in burning fat? Interesting. I began taking more Vitamin C when Meg stated that it was good for her skin. Fortunately, I can not justify taking the supplements for more than vanity reasons. :lol: Here's a link

http://www.realage.com/ct/eat-smart/food-and-nutrition/tip/6702

Tomato
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Lydia - all the birthdays - i am sure it keeps you on your toes but consider the plus size - you will have all the birthday dinners, cakes and other yummies crammed into one week and then you can go back to your normal eating.
Somehow, my own Bday celebration got out of hand. I had a number of dinners, lunches and I even got myself a cake!!!! I know .... :yikes:
But it was mango/raspberry mousse, how can one resist? I am weak .... (at least I gave half of it away so it lessened the damage somewhat). The whole August was just ... odd. I think I lost a total of 1 pound. Oh well. I keep telling myself it is not a race but still .....
As of next week, I am on vacation for 3 weeks (doing gardening and other general home improvement projects around the house) so hopefully I will score better. Enjoy the treats. :)

Lydia227
08-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks Tomato. I will enjoy the treats. And you are right, it is great to cram it into one week. I think that the treat I will look most forward to enjoying is dinner with DH. Which reminds me, need to line up a sitter. Whew, thanks. :^:

So, did you just have a birthday this month too? If so, :bday2: Your cake sounds decadent! :hungry: Actually, I almost purchased a cake for myself too. DH did not bring a cake into the house on my bday. I actually was looking forward to the excuse but he is so well trained and observant he thought better of it. We did go out for the evening and honestly after the meal I was not interested in anything else to eat. I'm sure I made up for that somewhere later in the week. I certainly allowed myself to pout about it long enough.

No cake here today. Only prune plums. Mmmm. Keeping a count on how many pits end back up on the plate. :s: Mel, can't tell you how many times your little peach pit incident has crossed my mind this weekend.

Tomato
08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks Lydia. Yes, I am a Leo. :-)

Mel's peach pit incident? Is it something from the past before I was around? Please do tell - inquiring minds want to know. :yes:

tikanique
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
So...I changed jobs in 06, and the boy moved out as well so I could no longer go to the gym at 430AM (didn't want to leave the girl at home alone). The Boy moved back home a year later but since I had to get him to school plus the Girl I still couldn't go at 430AM (ny new job is further away). Plus Bally's stopped opening at 430 altogether so I was screwed.

I lied to myself for two years that I'd go in the evening so I continued to "donate" money to Ballys. I finally admitted that when i say I'm going to go to the gym, ride my bike, go to the track, etc. after work I am lying through my teeth.

I stopped donating to Bally's and joined a gym that is closer to where I live now that is open 24 hours a day so I can now go at...wait for it....wait for it.....430AM!!! I went Saturday for a 40 minute session on the treadmill and it was cool. I took the Girl with me Sunday for fitness yoga and it was interesting. I caught a glimpse of my backside in the mirror as I was in the doggy down thingy and I swear it looked like a huge shiny black exercise ball. I refused to get upset and instead just congratulated myself on the fact that I was now in a place to shrink that monstrosity and also congratulated myself on being able to hang with 1.15 hours of fitness yoga without falling over and passing out.

I'm doing cardio only this week to remind my body what exercise is and then next week, I'll add the weights back.

Mel
08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Tiki!!!!!!!!

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

I have thought about you and missed you so many times! Welcome back, Chickie! I'm sure there's no monstrosity lurking behind you, but you know you have the power tho change whatever is there that needs changing :hug:

Tomato: Mel's Peach pit incident is in Maintainers, here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149667).

I've got another peach in my lunch tomorrow and have promised dh and my co-workers that I'll CUT IT UP.

Lydia- We are like that from the end of August through October, Our anniversary is the 28th, one of my brothers' birthdays is the 28th, another borther is Sept 3, I'm in early September, another brother September 13 (Can you tell what my mom liked to do in January :devil: ? My son's is Sept 24th and dh's is Oct 13. Whew! but since all except dh have been diagnosed with gluten intolerance or outright Celiac's disease (gee, think it's genetic?) we've gotten really creative in the cake department and have perfected flourless tortes of all manner.

Mel

EofAZ
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Tiki -- its just so nice to see you posting and I'm actually going to pop out of lurkdom and tell you so. I can so understand what you say about working out in the evening. All the best intentions but it ain't going to happen. When I workout it is at 5:30 am or during lunch, practically anytime BEFORE I get home in the evening but after I get home at night it simply will not occur. I have a beautiful gym in my house so I can't stop on my way home so that means 5:30 am and if the weather is nice at a walk during lunch.

Welcome back,

Mel -- my afternoon snack was a nectarine and laughing cow cheese. When I was washing the nectarine I thought about how careful I had better be with the pit.

WaterRat
08-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Tiki!! Good to see you back. I've been with you on the "donating to the gym" routine.

Mel - I have several peaches in my house, just love them. But, because I was caught in a gravity storm (i.e. I tripped and fell) in 1998 and knocked out my front teeth (and broke my jaw, and ripped open my whole upper lip area I now have a bridge in place of my front teeth and can't bite into much. I probably could handle a peach but I'm so used to just cutting up my fruit I do it automatically. :)

Lydia227
08-25-2008, 10:17 PM
:dance:TIKI TIKI TIKI!:dance:

OMG. I am so excited to see you post! Don't beat yourself up about the evening workouts. I tried it this summer and it was a challenge even when I really enjoyed the activities I was involved in. After six o'clock I've got one thing in mind, dinner and my pjs and that's just not going to change.

I've been doing the early bird workout this summer too and it looks like it may be more of the norm for me. My gym opens and 5:30 and it's BUSY. Folks are waiting outside the door for the place to unlock. Amazing. 4:30 is really early though. Wow. I'm just rolling out of bed about then.

Downward facing Dog. :lol: Now I know where there are no mirrors in the yoga studio. :p (That was my 7:00pm commitment) May I just say that I only fell asleep during Savasana once. :o It really wigged me out that there was no decoration or mirrors on the walls. When the instructor asked us to focus upon a spot during one of the standing balance poses I was like, "Your kidding right?" "All I can see is a maddening expanse of tranquil sea foam green wall." Pick a spot hmmm. Maybe that's why I kept falling over. Anyway, if there were mirrors I would have freaked at my own down dog poses. Shudder. I'm so grateful my instructor did not crack up laughing. It's a sign of a professional. :D

Great job in completing the hour and a quarter yoga class. It's tough and you deserve a pat for finishing it. Somehow I managed to strain my own glute or maybe hamstring who knows it just hurt all over that hip. Please be careful not to overstretch yourself during that class. I'm also going to remember to keep my own darn ego in check during the next series. :D

:hug: Welcome back.

Pat?! A gravity storm. I've never heard it called that but it's clever. However your injuries sound awful. :fr:

tikanique
08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
So I set my clock for 4.....PM!!!:mad: I was furious with myself!! However, the Girl is staying with her dad for a few days and the Boy is going to be at band practice til 3PM and then carpooling to the state fair for a performance that will last until 10PM. I packed my gym bag and am going STRAIGHT to the gym after work. If I stop by the house, it's a wrap!:p

Mel, I went through the past three pages of posts to see what you did with the peach. Sounds like you either bit the pit or almost swallowed it. do tell.

Sorry water, about the gravity storm - that sounds positively horrible. I may have to bite that term though. Never heard of it being referred to like that.;)

Lydia, I wished the mirrors in the yoga studio could have vanished while I was in class but the room is also used for hip hop, step, cardio blast and pretty much every other group exercise class as well so there you have it - stare at whatever non-attractive body part you have :-)

Happy Tuesday all. :hug:

Lydia227
08-26-2008, 12:49 PM
What's with the alarm clocks this morning. When ours went off I trodded out to shower and dress. It wasn't until I was grabbing the car keys that I noticed it was only 4:00am. :fr: I assumed that DH had set the alarm clock incorrectly before going to bed so I didn't mention it to him when I did leave an hour later. After I arrived home DH was in a tizzy wanting to know why I didn't tell him the clock was an hour ahead. Yep, the alarm went off an hour earlier for him too. :s: Oh well, it gave him time to read before going into work.

Legs, elliptical, core, and stretching today. Off to begin making the two birthday cakes and 48 cupcakes for the birthday weekendathon. :faint:

Have a great afternoon everyone

4rabbit
08-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi LWL,

TIKI !

How great to see you back! I have often wondered how you were doing. I remember your amazing stories about cheer practice, and I am just so glad you are back!

I'm back after the summer holidays. The kids started school today and I went to the power class at the gym yesterday. I am sore, and I am hugely tired. Out of shape, gained weight, the works.

Good thing though is that for the next 6 weeks I made a deal with DS and DD that teach of them will cook 2x a week. Also, DD took supervising the shopping on her. That means a lot of food and meals in my near future that I do not like, and I hope this will lead to less eating.

So much for the good resolutions for the new school year,

have a great day all,
Rabbit

elisa822
08-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm baaaacccckkkkkk...from NY that is! Miss me? ;) Points to those of you who remembered that my NY trips always include at least one (this time two) visits to my favourite burger stand. And yes it includes fries, and sometimes icecream. shhhh What can I say? I work to live and I workout to eat!

We had a great time and I walked for about 10-15km a day so who cares! I wouldn't trade a bite of anything I ate. I won't list it all here, it's probably not the right place to brag about the crap we eat. It was both a birthday and a 10th anniversary weekend so we treated ourselves to a broadway show which was great and I hit Chinatown for my favourite past time...purse shopping. :o

Lydia/tiki - my yoga classes have mirrors, which are good to occasionally check your posture, but also dim lights so I don't have to stare at my butt sticking up in the air! Can't imagine how not good that would look. I'll never forget when I was wearing shorts and in the changeroom, I caught a glance at the back of my legs in a mirror. Yeesh. Maybe that's why I always wear pants now at the gym.

Pat - that is quite a story...who knew peaches could be so dangerous!

I went for a great run (okay, in shorts) yesterday. The weather was perfect and I had my best 5k time (under 27 minutes). I was thrilled since I don't get out as often as I would like to and my last run was rather sluggish. Yoga was great today - I needed after NY so I guess I'm back on track.

Mel
08-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Welcome back, EVERYONE!

Elissa- Hope you left some burgers and fries in NY :D I'm sure I remember that you CAN get them in TO. Did you get any great purse deals? I had a hilarious but potentially dangerous experience buying knockoffs with a friend of mine on Canal Street. Suffice to say that what went through both our minds was " if she can take one of the guys, I can take the other!" We didn't factor in weaponry. :o

Pat- The gravity incident sounds gruesome. I think we all need to learn to pay more attention to one thing at a time. One of my lines on my resume is "good at multitasking" :rofl: That's beginning to look like a poor attribute. I should probably change it to "Please don't ask me to walk and chew gum at the same time."

Legs lite yesterday left me mildly sore and tired. I did 45 minutes of elliptical hills this morning and feel good. Shoulders at lunch, then I'm taking half a day off to help my ds with his Eagle Scout project. I think he's actually managing to pull this off! He'll be 18 at the end of September and I've never seen him work with such dedication to finish something with a real deadline! Now on to college applications :dizzy:

This morning almost started a food disaster, but I recovered, I made my breakfast makings last night as usual, then my food for today. breakfast went into the fridge. For Some bizarre reason, the rest of the food sat on the counter all packed and ready to go: right over top the dishwasher. Our granite counter tops get nice and toasty when the dishwasher is run. I thought about saying **** it and buying lunch, but knew it would be a disaster day if I did. So, I redid all my food and grudgingly scraped my cooked cottage cheese and yogurt and my potentially toxic chicken and salad into the garbage. :( I hate to waste food...even probably spoiled food.

have a good one,

Mel

tikanique
08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
don't you just HATE it when you pack up a great lunch and then leave it on the counter overnight, at home or in the car?!?!:mad: Great control though, redoing it instead of spending dinero on stuff you don't really need!

I LOVE Chinatown! I was in NYC during the holidays, got a great purse, got sick off some questionable sushi and tossed my cookies into.....the new purse.:p Just my luck, right? Glad you had a great trip and thanks for not listing the food items. My willpower is not where it needs to be....yet!

I made it to the new gym last night and did a mile on the treadmill and then took a kickboxing class - it was GREAT! I was pleased that I was able to do the entire workout without any moderations with the exception of the jumping jacks. I'll get there eventually. I also made it up this AM :carrot: and put in 45 minutes on the treadmill doing a combination of walking inclines and running with no inclines. 3 more days and then it's back to :lifter:

Lydia227
08-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Tiki: Great job with your back to back workouts. You'll be in a routine in no tiime!

Mel: I am IMPRESSED. But you know those are the kinds of spur of the moment decisions in a "crisis" that allows us to lose/maintain or gain. You already know that, I'm just pointing it out to myself. :s:

Yeah, well I'm heading into BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! (cue dramatic scary music)
DH is today and I just picked up his cake. It's the only one I didn't make. He has a weakness for a special cake from a local baker. He's been a good boy this year and let me get my bike so, he gets cake. All of it. :devil:

Elisa: We did miss you. :hug: It sounds like you had a fabulous time and Happy Anniversary. Enjoy the new purse.

This morning was upper body with some horizontal pullups mixed with t-pushup and a nice 30 minute treadmill run. It was rough getting up this morning for some reason and I really just wanted to stay in bed. I'm so grateful I went. I just love the calm feeling that settles in for the rest of the day after a good session. (At least until the kids are home)

Enjoy the day. :coffee:

WaterRat
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi all. :wave:

My DH is home from his canoeing trip. He had a fabulous time and made some new friends.

I went to the state fair again yesterday - this time with some GFs. I did plenty of walking but otherwise exercise is very spotty. Need to get back into the routine.....

Have fun with your birthday weekend Lydia. My DH's birthday was last week when he was away. He had cards and gifts stacked up for his return and enjoyed them all.

Megan your'e making a great plan and I have no doubt you'll make it work. It would be cool if you could get an elliptical from the gym.

Carolyn - glad to see you back!

WaterRat
08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh and I meant to comment on Mel's multi-tasking. The accident I had in 1998 was while I was walking into the building I worked in, my mind way ahead on the things that I had to get done. I mean I walked into that building every day for nearly 20 years, I could do with my eyes closed, but this time - whoops - tripped on a frost-heaved piece of the sidewalk and down I went. My poor DH was embarrassed to walk out of the ER with me - I was already swelling and turning black and blue, never mind what my lip looked like......

Mel
08-28-2008, 08:23 AM
:wave:

Cardio done, food packed (and refrigerated overnight :) ).

Today is my 30th anniversary and almost 7 years at maintenance. I'm wearing a horizontal striped sleeveless sweater and WHITE pants. It still amazes my that I can do this. It's an outfit I NEVER would have dreamed of wearing 8 years ago.

Chest and back workout at lunch. It is all worth it!

Mel

elisa822
08-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Mel - Happy Anniversary!! Congratulations on both counts and yay for white pants! I still won't do that so I'm envious of all who do! I hope you have a great day! :)

I've had a good workout week so far but I think I'll have to skip today...I really need to get to the passport office and that may cut into my ability to go for a lunchtime workout.

The last long weekend of the year is coming up and for me that signals the end of my many bbqs and get togethers, which can only help with my eating...I hope! I lost the couple of NY pounds, so that is good!

Have a great day.

tikanique
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Happy Anniversary Mel on both big events. :cheer3: I wish I could wear horizontal stripes. Right now, they make me look like Saturn so I leave them alone. I'm sure you look FABULOUS.

Good job Elise on shedding the vaca pounds. :carrot:

Stay strong Lydia - just imagine wearing a birthday cake :hb: strapped to your butt, maybe that will help.

At 8PM last night I realized I'd only taken in about 800 calories :hun: - all clean-but not enough to keep my body from going into starvation mode so I grilled some chicken breasts and ate them with a cup of raw spinach. Since I was in the kitchen I went ahead and grilled enough for the next few days as well and also boiled half a dozen eggs. I found a protein shake that expired in February 2007 :p so I tossed it and added protein shakes to my weekend shopping list.

Got the early AM cardio in again but used a different type of treadmill (wanted to watch MSNBC and FoxNews) and now my back is KILLING ME! It doesn't have the cushioning that the others have. Politics will be the DEATH of me, I'm sure:dizzy:.

Have a great day all!!!!

Lydia227
08-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Stay strong Lydia - just imagine wearing a birthday cake :hb: strapped to your butt, maybe that will help.

Thanks. :s: :rofl: Sadly it would look better if it were a real cake strapped to my butt...Wow, 800 calories at the end of the day. That only happens when I am really busy. I admire your food choices and prep. :D

Mel: Happy Anniversary:congrat:
Careful not to spill any coffee on the white pants today. :p

Pat: Oh dear. :hug: Ice, of course. Your poor husband...

Elisa: Happy for you that you got to enjoy NY and that it looks like sodium related gain. I'll be working my way through this next week for certain.

So this morning I walked into the house after my workout and smelled something peculiar. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, DH was working at his laptop the boys were dressed and playing with last nights birthday balloons and a guitar. :chin: So like an idiot I say, "What's that smell?", "Did you use some bug spray in here or something?" DH looks up from his messages with slanty eyes and crooks his index finger asking me to come closer. He hold out his forearm and says, "You mean this?!" OMG. It was him. He used the shower gel I bought for his birthday. I was laughing so hard I couldn't stand up. The look he gave me was priceless. You see the name of the showergel and lotion was called "Sensual." Trust me it is anything but that. Truly, the man smelled like a Raid fly strip. I went back to the bathroom to read the label again and found that it supposed to be a calming relaxing sent that invokes confidence. Boy, based upon my reaction this morning I don't think he is going to feel very confident today. :rofl: I know in the back of his head he is going to be thinking :chin: I wonder if they think I smell like bug spray too? ~sigh~ Never a dull moment. Okay, lets see how I can destroy the upcoming birthday events for my sons this weekend too. :rolleyes:

Decent workout today. 35 minutes of cardio on the AMT, heavy legs, a little core and few sun salutations. No sun outside though good sleeping weather instead.

Enjoy the morning :coffee:

Tomato
08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Good morning, ladies!

Mel - not sure what is of bigger significance - your 30th wedding anniversary or the fact that you are decked out in horizontal stripes and white pants? :D
Huge congrats on both!!! :hat:

I have a little update. Last night was my retest at the gym (which means they toss me on the Tanita Body Analyzer scale and give me printout with the numbers). I have some good news and some not so good news. Since the end of June (my last retest) my body fat dropped from 28.8% to 25.5%, so I guess that is the good news. I somehow lost about 10 lbs in those 2 months but the bad news is that it looks like I lost 2 lbs of muscle. I am really heartbroken about that and I still don't understand how that happened.

I guess I will have to lay off the cardio a bit (I think I was pushing myself a bit too much on the treadmill) and spend more time at the time playing with the weights. I don't have a problem with that, other than it seems to me that my body is taking a bit too long to recover from my workout sessions. Sometimes I don't hurt the next day, but I hurt the second and third day - is this normal or am I too much of a sissy? By that time I should be already having another workout session.

I have 2.5 weeks off starting with Labour Day (doing a LOT of gardening and some other home improvement stuff so I will see how it goes).

WaterRat
08-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh, Tomato, 2.5 weeks off! I am envious. I could really use time off from the :stress: here at work, and to concentrate on the piles of things needing attention at home! Enjoy!

Oh Lydia, :lol: about the scent! MY DH is very sensitive to many scents, but unfortunately not to Bay Rum which is one he likes, and I don't care much for. :shrug: What can you do?

Meg - 30 years :woo: And super on the horizontal stripes and white pants. I'm too busty for the former, and too messy for the latter (although I do wear them on occasion - and manage to spill :lol: )

jamsk8r
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Mel, congrats on your anniversaries, both of them! :celebrate:

Tiki, welcome back!

Pat, congrats on the fat loss! :carrot: Isn't a little muscle loss with the fat loss pretty "normal"?

Lydia, that is hilarious about the scented shower gel. I mean, sad, and it's wrong to laugh, very wrong.... ;)

Elisa, I'm with you on saying "good riddance" to the summer bbqs and such. Way too many sodium-induced bloats this summer...ugh.

I did a heavy legs/back/hams workout on Tuesday at the Y, followed by 20 mins on the elliptical...good workout. Last night was skating, not so fabulous, as they are training up a new baby DJ (is there a "poking my eyes out with a pitchfork" smiley?), so the music was all rap, all the time, which you can't dance to, unfortunately. Today, I did UB (minus the back) and abs at home, great workout.

Mel
08-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Tomato- It's virtually impossible to lose "weight" without losing some muscle. The ratio depends on how much you are lifting, how heavy, your nutrition and your genetics. 20% really isn't that bad.

Lydia- The shower gel incident was hilarious! I thought of it when I used the shower gel you gave me. Mine smells heavenly!

Kind of sluggish here this morning. I didn't get up early do do cardio and find that it's what jump starts my body and brain, not the coffee.

Off to be dopey at work-

Mel

Tomato
08-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Mel. It's just that this is the first time I lost muscle (well, ok, that since I joined the gym at the end of April). So far, all previous retests showed that I gained muscle (while still losing weight). But it also makes me wonder if the scale is completely accurate because it showed in one previous months that I gained 2 lbs of muscle and I thought it was a bit too much in a relatively short time.
Anyways - I am not going to lose any sleep over that. Bring on the dumbells!!

Oh, and thanks for the link to the peach pit incident. It really was scary but I calmed down as I realized you were obviously ok (since you could post about it) but that was excellent quick thinking on your part. Although I laugh at the visual of you administering a Heimlich on yourself.

Lydia - LOL! I guess you don't have to worry that your DH will smell very attractively on his female coworkers. Although - one never knows - guessing from the horrendous perfumes some women pour onto themselves, one would think they don't have any sense of smell.
I tend not to buy anything that does not smell good to me (that means it usually has to be on the citrusy side).

What are everybody's plans for the long weekend? I was bravely thinking of refinishing my living room floor but the problem is everything is one floor so there is nowhere to stop and the whole floor better be redone (it really needs it). But then there is the question where would I stuff the two dogs not to mention all the furniture.
I guess fate intervened and I don't have to worry about it - a long translation landed in my lap and although I wish I could just kick back I really cannot say no to the money as I need to replace some windows.
Wishing you all a good one.

tikanique
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
a translation? bilingual? what languages? and you are very brave to even think about refinishing the floors. my idea of refinishing is sweeping twice then wiping them down with Pledge!:dizzy:

Mel, don't be too dopey. You work in a place full of steel bars, heavy plates and pulley cables and they are all just waiting to pay you back for slinging them around for the past 7 years.

Lydia, the shower gel story is hilarious!!! :lol: Have you seen that commercial for Nivea body wash for men? It pokes fun at Axe body wash for smelling too strongly. I need to get some for the Boy who currently thinks he has to marinade in the body wash, body deodorant spray and anti-perspirant!

Jam, sorry about your less than wonderful DJ last night. As much as I love rap, there is a such thing as just too much.

I went to bed at midnight (two weeks of conventions are going to KILL me) and then the Girl and her overnight guest woke me up at 3AM so I did NOT get back up at 430 for my workout. I packed my gym bag and will go will go WILL GO straight after work.

Got a question as well. Yesterday was my first non-wheat day which I'm going to do my darndest to stick to. However, I need some suggestions for food treats that won't wreck my plans. And I HATE jello.

WaterRat
08-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Ah, Tiki, you have been gone.... Mel works in a bank now!

Yes, Tomato, what languages??

I must finish my budgets today! The problem is that I'm in an expanded position that I've only had since January, so I've never done the budgets for the added areas. I'm the Director of COmmunity Services which involves the library (which I've had for 7 years, so no problem there), ice arena(I work closely withe public works on this so can ask them for help), golf course (run by a contractor, so handed that one over to him), parks, visitor's center and community center. It's the last two that I've just inherited, and have no idea what their budgets involve. Grrr. Hate hate hate being thrown into things at the last minute. :)

Tonight we're going to a friends and pick raspberries. They are an older couple and have a huge patch. I'm excited as our berries were not too good this year.

Rest of the weekend we have only dinner plans for Sat night at a friends. Other than that, I expect we'll do yard work and usual weekend stuff - laundry, groceries, etc. :) WOrks for me. I'm too busy during the week, and I enjoy being home and alone. If it ever stops raining I'll get out on my bike. I have to take it somewhere to ride as the main road by us is completely dug up for renovation - and will be until the end of next summer. :sp: Don't get me started on the on the 20 min waits on the way home from work (I go to work before they get started).

jamsk8r
08-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Tiki, rap is fine, it's just that the backbeat is usually either irregular or too slow for dancing to on skates. I've gotta get my workout in!

Tomato, the plan for the weekend is that my ds11 is off to camp this afternoon, back Monday. Nothing holiday related for me, unless you count the influx of boarding dogs I have this weekend. Speaking of, I have to get back to work, but I just wanted to check in on you all while I was having my lunch break!

Mel
08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Tiki- you are a year and a half out of date :hug: I still work out, and very occasionally train an old client or two, but I have a dress-up day job now ;) I work in the Wealth Management and Trust department of a mega-bank. I don't even lift anything as heavy as money, though I am the designated "big box" and computer lifter. My wardrobe and shoe collection is better, better hours and pay and benefits, but I do miss hanging out in a gym all day. Sometimes :D

I need to get some for the Boy who currently thinks he has to marinade in the body wash, body deodorant spray and anti-antiperspirant! :rofl: Mine did that too for the last 2 years. Since he's been home from working at camp for the last 2 weeks, he seems to have gone the opposite direction and YUK! I'm not sure which is worse. Hopefully when school starts next week, he'll strike a happy medium. I've had to fumigate my car more than once lately.

Pat- Sounds like a nice relaxing weekend for you. Did dh come home with lots of fish?

We are going to an fantastic restaurant tomorrow night for our belated anniversary dinner. Sunday, I'm meeting a friend for a day of outlet shopping, and the rest of the weekend will be spent trying to work off Saturday's dinner, yard work- I still have a lot of transplanting to do and it finally rained, and CLEANING!

Mel

Mel
08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Wow- quiet around here!

I couldn't sleep in this morning and discovered that we now have access to Exercise TV. I did a 20 minute glutes routine, a 15 minute core and cardio, then finished with 10 minutes on the elliptical. Not my usual leg day, but my leg workout partner just had a minor biopsy and didn't feel up to lifting heavy. I met her in the local park and we did a 3 mile walk. Better than blowing off the day!

Tonight dh and I are going to a fantastic restaurant for our anniversary. I haven't tried on my dress yet, but I do have a plan B :rofl: I have a feeling I'm going to need it. I haven't been far off track, but I think I need to change my track. My back is getting too big for my wardrobe, and I'd rather lose some muscle than buy all new work clothes. Problem is, I don't seem to remember that when I'm lifting!

Have a great end of summer weekend :sunny:

Mel

Lydia227
08-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Mel, have a wonderful Anniversary Dinner! Drink lots of wine, the good stuff. I had to smile at your comment about forgetting about our goals while in the gym. Why is it sometimes really hard to "hold back" during a workout. Even when injured it can take a lot of discipline when you know you shouldn't. Speaking of which I think my glute strain is finally better. Just in time for me to take another eight week yoga series. :frypan:

So this is the busy weekend for us. In about thirty minutes my home will be overtaken by six ten year old boys. We are doing a detective themed birthday party. There are photo id badges, an obstical training course, swearing in ceremony, and certificates of completion. I will then send them of their first mission. While taping up the clues throughout the neighborhood and I've raised suspicion with some of the more senior neighbors sitting on their front porches. "Don't worry, I may look crazed but I'm harmless." It's the pack of ten year old boys who will be trailing me in an hour you have to worry about." :devil:

They clear out of here by 10:00am and then I set up for DS2 birthday. Seven five year olds. :dizzy: I'm looking forward to Monday. I'm outta here :bike:

jamsk8r
08-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Lydia, you are hard-core...two kid parties back to back? Lucky boys! Don't tell my ds about all that, or he'll know what a slacker I am. I usually just have a party at the rink, so I don't have to actually entertain or clean up after his friends, lol.

Mel, good luck with the LBD and romantic dinner tonight! Hope you enjoy yourself!

Work was crazy yesterday, so I could not get to the Y to do legs. I finally finished with everything at 9 pm, and was sorely tempted to blow off the workout, but instead I decided to do a little Crossfit style torture. I practice my OH squats, did some DB squats, SLDL, leg extensions, ham curls on the ball (ow, ow, ow!), various ab tortures, then still felt like it wasn't enough. Tried single leg squats but my knees complained, so I got the drag sled out, threw some weight on it, and dragged it around the yard for about ten minutes...thank goodness it was dark and we have a privacy fence, because I felt like a total dork doing that, lol. Must have been a good workout, though, because I'm feeling it already...tomorrow could be bad...

Skating was crap again Friday, but the big boss was there and some customers complained, so I think we're done with the baby DJ, at least that one. Hopefully this means we'll get the good DJ back next week.

Gonna take a long slow run this afternoon or tonight, depending how my day goes. Okay, back to work!