Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #61  
Mel

Tomato- It's virtually impossible to lose "weight" without losing some muscle. The ratio depends on how much you are lifting, how heavy, your nutrition and your genetics. 20% really isn't that bad.

Lydia- The shower gel incident was hilarious! I thought of it when I used the shower gel you gave me. Mine smells heavenly!

Kind of sluggish here this morning. I didn't get up early do do cardio and find that it's what jump starts my body and brain, not the coffee.

Off to be dopey at work-

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #62  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Thanks Mel. It's just that this is the first time I lost muscle (well, ok, that since I joined the gym at the end of April). So far, all previous retests showed that I gained muscle (while still losing weight). But it also makes me wonder if the scale is completely accurate because it showed in one previous months that I gained 2 lbs of muscle and I thought it was a bit too much in a relatively short time.
Anyways - I am not going to lose any sleep over that. Bring on the dumbells!!

Oh, and thanks for the link to the peach pit incident. It really was scary but I calmed down as I realized you were obviously ok (since you could post about it) but that was excellent quick thinking on your part. Although I laugh at the visual of you administering a Heimlich on yourself.

Lydia - LOL! I guess you don't have to worry that your DH will smell very attractively on his female coworkers. Although - one never knows - guessing from the horrendous perfumes some women pour onto themselves, one would think they don't have any sense of smell.
I tend not to buy anything that does not smell good to me (that means it usually has to be on the citrusy side).

What are everybody's plans for the long weekend? I was bravely thinking of refinishing my living room floor but the problem is everything is one floor so there is nowhere to stop and the whole floor better be redone (it really needs it). But then there is the question where would I stuff the two dogs not to mention all the furniture.
I guess fate intervened and I don't have to worry about it - a long translation landed in my lap and although I wish I could just kick back I really cannot say no to the money as I need to replace some windows.
Wishing you all a good one.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

a translation? bilingual? what languages? and you are very brave to even think about refinishing the floors. my idea of refinishing is sweeping twice then wiping them down with Pledge!

Mel, don't be too dopey. You work in a place full of steel bars, heavy plates and pulley cables and they are all just waiting to pay you back for slinging them around for the past 7 years.

Lydia, the shower gel story is hilarious!!! Have you seen that commercial for Nivea body wash for men? It pokes fun at Axe body wash for smelling too strongly. I need to get some for the Boy who currently thinks he has to marinade in the body wash, body deodorant spray and anti-perspirant!

Jam, sorry about your less than wonderful DJ last night. As much as I love rap, there is a such thing as just too much.

I went to bed at midnight (two weeks of conventions are going to KILL me) and then the Girl and her overnight guest woke me up at 3AM so I did NOT get back up at 430 for my workout. I packed my gym bag and will go will go WILL GO straight after work.

Got a question as well. Yesterday was my first non-wheat day which I'm going to do my darndest to stick to. However, I need some suggestions for food treats that won't wreck my plans. And I HATE jello.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #64  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, Tiki, you have been gone.... Mel works in a bank now!

Yes, Tomato, what languages??

I must finish my budgets today! The problem is that I'm in an expanded position that I've only had since January, so I've never done the budgets for the added areas. I'm the Director of COmmunity Services which involves the library (which I've had for 7 years, so no problem there), ice arena(I work closely withe public works on this so can ask them for help), golf course (run by a contractor, so handed that one over to him), parks, visitor's center and community center. It's the last two that I've just inherited, and have no idea what their budgets involve. Grrr. Hate hate hate being thrown into things at the last minute.

Tonight we're going to a friends and pick raspberries. They are an older couple and have a huge patch. I'm excited as our berries were not too good this year.

Rest of the weekend we have only dinner plans for Sat night at a friends. Other than that, I expect we'll do yard work and usual weekend stuff - laundry, groceries, etc. WOrks for me. I'm too busy during the week, and I enjoy being home and alone. If it ever stops raining I'll get out on my bike. I have to take it somewhere to ride as the main road by us is completely dug up for renovation - and will be until the end of next summer. Don't get me started on the on the 20 min waits on the way home from work (I go to work before they get started).
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #65  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Tiki, rap is fine, it's just that the backbeat is usually either irregular or too slow for dancing to on skates. I've gotta get my workout in!

Tomato, the plan for the weekend is that my ds11 is off to camp this afternoon, back Monday. Nothing holiday related for me, unless you count the influx of boarding dogs I have this weekend. Speaking of, I have to get back to work, but I just wanted to check in on you all while I was having my lunch break!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #66  
Mel

Tiki- you are a year and a half out of date I still work out, and very occasionally train an old client or two, but I have a dress-up day job now I work in the Wealth Management and Trust department of a mega-bank. I don't even lift anything as heavy as money, though I am the designated "big box" and computer lifter. My wardrobe and shoe collection is better, better hours and pay and benefits, but I do miss hanging out in a gym all day. Sometimes

Quote:
I need to get some for the Boy who currently thinks he has to marinade in the body wash, body deodorant spray and anti-antiperspirant!
Mine did that too for the last 2 years. Since he's been home from working at camp for the last 2 weeks, he seems to have gone the opposite direction and YUK! I'm not sure which is worse. Hopefully when school starts next week, he'll strike a happy medium. I've had to fumigate my car more than once lately.

Pat- Sounds like a nice relaxing weekend for you. Did dh come home with lots of fish?

We are going to an fantastic restaurant tomorrow night for our belated anniversary dinner. Sunday, I'm meeting a friend for a day of outlet shopping, and the rest of the weekend will be spent trying to work off Saturday's dinner, yard work- I still have a lot of transplanting to do and it finally rained, and CLEANING!

Mel
Old 08-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #67  
Mel

Wow- quiet around here!

I couldn't sleep in this morning and discovered that we now have access to Exercise TV. I did a 20 minute glutes routine, a 15 minute core and cardio, then finished with 10 minutes on the elliptical. Not my usual leg day, but my leg workout partner just had a minor biopsy and didn't feel up to lifting heavy. I met her in the local park and we did a 3 mile walk. Better than blowing off the day!

Tonight dh and I are going to a fantastic restaurant for our anniversary. I haven't tried on my dress yet, but I do have a plan B I have a feeling I'm going to need it. I haven't been far off track, but I think I need to change my track. My back is getting too big for my wardrobe, and I'd rather lose some muscle than buy all new work clothes. Problem is, I don't seem to remember that when I'm lifting!

Have a great end of summer weekend

Mel
Old 08-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #68  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel, have a wonderful Anniversary Dinner! Drink lots of wine, the good stuff. I had to smile at your comment about forgetting about our goals while in the gym. Why is it sometimes really hard to "hold back" during a workout. Even when injured it can take a lot of discipline when you know you shouldn't. Speaking of which I think my glute strain is finally better. Just in time for me to take another eight week yoga series.

So this is the busy weekend for us. In about thirty minutes my home will be overtaken by six ten year old boys. We are doing a detective themed birthday party. There are photo id badges, an obstical training course, swearing in ceremony, and certificates of completion. I will then send them of their first mission. While taping up the clues throughout the neighborhood and I've raised suspicion with some of the more senior neighbors sitting on their front porches. "Don't worry, I may look crazed but I'm harmless." It's the pack of ten year old boys who will be trailing me in an hour you have to worry about."

They clear out of here by 10:00am and then I set up for DS2 birthday. Seven five year olds. I'm looking forward to Monday. I'm outta here
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #69  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, you are hard-core...two kid parties back to back? Lucky boys! Don't tell my ds about all that, or he'll know what a slacker I am. I usually just have a party at the rink, so I don't have to actually entertain or clean up after his friends, lol.

Mel, good luck with the LBD and romantic dinner tonight! Hope you enjoy yourself!

Work was crazy yesterday, so I could not get to the Y to do legs. I finally finished with everything at 9 pm, and was sorely tempted to blow off the workout, but instead I decided to do a little Crossfit style torture. I practice my OH squats, did some DB squats, SLDL, leg extensions, ham curls on the ball (ow, ow, ow!), various ab tortures, then still felt like it wasn't enough. Tried single leg squats but my knees complained, so I got the drag sled out, threw some weight on it, and dragged it around the yard for about ten minutes...thank goodness it was dark and we have a privacy fence, because I felt like a total dork doing that, lol. Must have been a good workout, though, because I'm feeling it already...tomorrow could be bad...

Skating was crap again Friday, but the big boss was there and some customers complained, so I think we're done with the baby DJ, at least that one. Hopefully this means we'll get the good DJ back next week.

Gonna take a long slow run this afternoon or tonight, depending how my day goes. Okay, back to work!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 08-31-2008 at 01:39 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote