Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #46  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

What's with the alarm clocks this morning. When ours went off I trodded out to shower and dress. It wasn't until I was grabbing the car keys that I noticed it was only 4:00am. I assumed that DH had set the alarm clock incorrectly before going to bed so I didn't mention it to him when I did leave an hour later. After I arrived home DH was in a tizzy wanting to know why I didn't tell him the clock was an hour ahead. Yep, the alarm went off an hour earlier for him too. Oh well, it gave him time to read before going into work.

Legs, elliptical, core, and stretching today. Off to begin making the two birthday cakes and 48 cupcakes for the birthday weekendathon.

Have a great afternoon everyone
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #47  

Hi LWL,

TIKI !

How great to see you back! I have often wondered how you were doing. I remember your amazing stories about cheer practice, and I am just so glad you are back!

I'm back after the summer holidays. The kids started school today and I went to the power class at the gym yesterday. I am sore, and I am hugely tired. Out of shape, gained weight, the works.

Good thing though is that for the next 6 weeks I made a deal with DS and DD that teach of them will cook 2x a week. Also, DD took supervising the shopping on her. That means a lot of food and meals in my near future that I do not like, and I hope this will lead to less eating.

So much for the good resolutions for the new school year,

have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #48  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm baaaacccckkkkkk...from NY that is! Miss me? Points to those of you who remembered that my NY trips always include at least one (this time two) visits to my favourite burger stand. And yes it includes fries, and sometimes icecream. shhhh What can I say? I work to live and I workout to eat!

We had a great time and I walked for about 10-15km a day so who cares! I wouldn't trade a bite of anything I ate. I won't list it all here, it's probably not the right place to brag about the crap we eat. It was both a birthday and a 10th anniversary weekend so we treated ourselves to a broadway show which was great and I hit Chinatown for my favourite past time...purse shopping.

Lydia/tiki - my yoga classes have mirrors, which are good to occasionally check your posture, but also dim lights so I don't have to stare at my butt sticking up in the air! Can't imagine how not good that would look. I'll never forget when I was wearing shorts and in the changeroom, I caught a glance at the back of my legs in a mirror. Yeesh. Maybe that's why I always wear pants now at the gym.

Pat - that is quite a story...who knew peaches could be so dangerous!

I went for a great run (okay, in shorts) yesterday. The weather was perfect and I had my best 5k time (under 27 minutes). I was thrilled since I don't get out as often as I would like to and my last run was rather sluggish. Yoga was great today - I needed after NY so I guess I'm back on track.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #49  
Mel

Welcome back, EVERYONE!

Elissa- Hope you left some burgers and fries in NY I'm sure I remember that you CAN get them in TO. Did you get any great purse deals? I had a hilarious but potentially dangerous experience buying knockoffs with a friend of mine on Canal Street. Suffice to say that what went through both our minds was " if she can take one of the guys, I can take the other!" We didn't factor in weaponry.

Pat- The gravity incident sounds gruesome. I think we all need to learn to pay more attention to one thing at a time. One of my lines on my resume is "good at multitasking" That's beginning to look like a poor attribute. I should probably change it to "Please don't ask me to walk and chew gum at the same time."

Legs lite yesterday left me mildly sore and tired. I did 45 minutes of elliptical hills this morning and feel good. Shoulders at lunch, then I'm taking half a day off to help my ds with his Eagle Scout project. I think he's actually managing to pull this off! He'll be 18 at the end of September and I've never seen him work with such dedication to finish something with a real deadline! Now on to college applications

This morning almost started a food disaster, but I recovered, I made my breakfast makings last night as usual, then my food for today. breakfast went into the fridge. For Some bizarre reason, the rest of the food sat on the counter all packed and ready to go: right over top the dishwasher. Our granite counter tops get nice and toasty when the dishwasher is run. I thought about saying **** it and buying lunch, but knew it would be a disaster day if I did. So, I redid all my food and grudgingly scraped my cooked cottage cheese and yogurt and my potentially toxic chicken and salad into the garbage. I hate to waste food...even probably spoiled food.

have a good one,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

don't you just HATE it when you pack up a great lunch and then leave it on the counter overnight, at home or in the car?!?! Great control though, redoing it instead of spending dinero on stuff you don't really need!

I LOVE Chinatown! I was in NYC during the holidays, got a great purse, got sick off some questionable sushi and tossed my cookies into.....the new purse. Just my luck, right? Glad you had a great trip and thanks for not listing the food items. My willpower is not where it needs to be....yet!

I made it to the new gym last night and did a mile on the treadmill and then took a kickboxing class - it was GREAT! I was pleased that I was able to do the entire workout without any moderations with the exception of the jumping jacks. I'll get there eventually. I also made it up this AM and put in 45 minutes on the treadmill doing a combination of walking inclines and running with no inclines. 3 more days and then it's back to
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #51  
Kallos Sthenos

Tiki: Great job with your back to back workouts. You'll be in a routine in no tiime!

Mel: I am IMPRESSED. But you know those are the kinds of spur of the moment decisions in a "crisis" that allows us to lose/maintain or gain. You already know that, I'm just pointing it out to myself.

Yeah, well I'm heading into BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! (cue dramatic scary music)
DH is today and I just picked up his cake. It's the only one I didn't make. He has a weakness for a special cake from a local baker. He's been a good boy this year and let me get my bike so, he gets cake. All of it.

Elisa: We did miss you. It sounds like you had a fabulous time and Happy Anniversary. Enjoy the new purse.

This morning was upper body with some horizontal pullups mixed with t-pushup and a nice 30 minute treadmill run. It was rough getting up this morning for some reason and I really just wanted to stay in bed. I'm so grateful I went. I just love the calm feeling that settles in for the rest of the day after a good session. (At least until the kids are home)

Enjoy the day.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #52  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi all.

My DH is home from his canoeing trip. He had a fabulous time and made some new friends.

I went to the state fair again yesterday - this time with some GFs. I did plenty of walking but otherwise exercise is very spotty. Need to get back into the routine.....

Have fun with your birthday weekend Lydia. My DH's birthday was last week when he was away. He had cards and gifts stacked up for his return and enjoyed them all.

Megan your'e making a great plan and I have no doubt you'll make it work. It would be cool if you could get an elliptical from the gym.

Carolyn - glad to see you back!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #53  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh and I meant to comment on Mel's multi-tasking. The accident I had in 1998 was while I was walking into the building I worked in, my mind way ahead on the things that I had to get done. I mean I walked into that building every day for nearly 20 years, I could do with my eyes closed, but this time - whoops - tripped on a frost-heaved piece of the sidewalk and down I went. My poor DH was embarrassed to walk out of the ER with me - I was already swelling and turning black and blue, never mind what my lip looked like......

Last edited by WaterRat; 08-27-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #54  
Mel

Cardio done, food packed (and refrigerated overnight ).

Today is my 30th anniversary and almost 7 years at maintenance. I'm wearing a horizontal striped sleeveless sweater and WHITE pants. It still amazes my that I can do this. It's an outfit I NEVER would have dreamed of wearing 8 years ago.

Chest and back workout at lunch. It is all worth it!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #55  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Mel - Happy Anniversary!! Congratulations on both counts and yay for white pants! I still won't do that so I'm envious of all who do! I hope you have a great day!

I've had a good workout week so far but I think I'll have to skip today...I really need to get to the passport office and that may cut into my ability to go for a lunchtime workout.

The last long weekend of the year is coming up and for me that signals the end of my many bbqs and get togethers, which can only help with my eating...I hope! I lost the couple of NY pounds, so that is good!

Have a great day.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Happy Anniversary Mel on both big events. I wish I could wear horizontal stripes. Right now, they make me look like Saturn so I leave them alone. I'm sure you look FABULOUS.

Good job Elise on shedding the vaca pounds.

Stay strong Lydia - just imagine wearing a birthday cake strapped to your butt, maybe that will help.

At 8PM last night I realized I'd only taken in about 800 calories - all clean-but not enough to keep my body from going into starvation mode so I grilled some chicken breasts and ate them with a cup of raw spinach. Since I was in the kitchen I went ahead and grilled enough for the next few days as well and also boiled half a dozen eggs. I found a protein shake that expired in February 2007 so I tossed it and added protein shakes to my weekend shopping list.

Got the early AM cardio in again but used a different type of treadmill (wanted to watch MSNBC and FoxNews) and now my back is KILLING ME! It doesn't have the cushioning that the others have. Politics will be the DEATH of me, I'm sure.

Have a great day all!!!!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #57  
Kallos Sthenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique View Post
Stay strong Lydia - just imagine wearing a birthday cake strapped to your butt, maybe that will help.
Thanks. Sadly it would look better if it were a real cake strapped to my butt...Wow, 800 calories at the end of the day. That only happens when I am really busy. I admire your food choices and prep.

Mel: Happy Anniversary
Careful not to spill any coffee on the white pants today.

Pat: Oh dear. Ice, of course. Your poor husband...

Elisa: Happy for you that you got to enjoy NY and that it looks like sodium related gain. I'll be working my way through this next week for certain.

So this morning I walked into the house after my workout and smelled something peculiar. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, DH was working at his laptop the boys were dressed and playing with last nights birthday balloons and a guitar. So like an idiot I say, "What's that smell?", "Did you use some bug spray in here or something?" DH looks up from his messages with slanty eyes and crooks his index finger asking me to come closer. He hold out his forearm and says, "You mean this?!" OMG. It was him. He used the shower gel I bought for his birthday. I was laughing so hard I couldn't stand up. The look he gave me was priceless. You see the name of the showergel and lotion was called "Sensual." Trust me it is anything but that. Truly, the man smelled like a Raid fly strip. I went back to the bathroom to read the label again and found that it supposed to be a calming relaxing sent that invokes confidence. Boy, based upon my reaction this morning I don't think he is going to feel very confident today. I know in the back of his head he is going to be thinking I wonder if they think I smell like bug spray too? ~sigh~ Never a dull moment. Okay, lets see how I can destroy the upcoming birthday events for my sons this weekend too.

Decent workout today. 35 minutes of cardio on the AMT, heavy legs, a little core and few sun salutations. No sun outside though good sleeping weather instead.

Enjoy the morning
Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #58  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Good morning, ladies!

Mel - not sure what is of bigger significance - your 30th wedding anniversary or the fact that you are decked out in horizontal stripes and white pants?
Huge congrats on both!!!

I have a little update. Last night was my retest at the gym (which means they toss me on the Tanita Body Analyzer scale and give me printout with the numbers). I have some good news and some not so good news. Since the end of June (my last retest) my body fat dropped from 28.8% to 25.5%, so I guess that is the good news. I somehow lost about 10 lbs in those 2 months but the bad news is that it looks like I lost 2 lbs of muscle. I am really heartbroken about that and I still don't understand how that happened.

I guess I will have to lay off the cardio a bit (I think I was pushing myself a bit too much on the treadmill) and spend more time at the time playing with the weights. I don't have a problem with that, other than it seems to me that my body is taking a bit too long to recover from my workout sessions. Sometimes I don't hurt the next day, but I hurt the second and third day - is this normal or am I too much of a sissy? By that time I should be already having another workout session.

I have 2.5 weeks off starting with Labour Day (doing a LOT of gardening and some other home improvement stuff so I will see how it goes).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #59  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, Tomato, 2.5 weeks off! I am envious. I could really use time off from the here at work, and to concentrate on the piles of things needing attention at home! Enjoy!

Oh Lydia, about the scent! MY DH is very sensitive to many scents, but unfortunately not to Bay Rum which is one he likes, and I don't care much for. What can you do?

Meg - 30 years And super on the horizontal stripes and white pants. I'm too busty for the former, and too messy for the latter (although I do wear them on occasion - and manage to spill )
Old 08-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #60  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel, congrats on your anniversaries, both of them!

Tiki, welcome back!

Pat, congrats on the fat loss! Isn't a little muscle loss with the fat loss pretty "normal"?

Lydia, that is hilarious about the scented shower gel. I mean, sad, and it's wrong to laugh, very wrong....

Elisa, I'm with you on saying "good riddance" to the summer bbqs and such. Way too many sodium-induced bloats this summer...ugh.

I did a heavy legs/back/hams workout on Tuesday at the Y, followed by 20 mins on the elliptical...good workout. Last night was skating, not so fabulous, as they are training up a new baby DJ (is there a "poking my eyes out with a pitchfork" smiley?), so the music was all rap, all the time, which you can't dance to, unfortunately. Today, I did UB (minus the back) and abs at home, great workout.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote