Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 08:21 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life: Week of November 26, 2001

Well, hopefully everybody had a nice holiday. I, myself, need to get back on track. I veered way off the path and now it's time to stay on the road.

I've been making mini goals the past couple of days to get myself going again. Why is it so easy to veer off the path? Getting back on takes a little bit of work and determination.

It's hard to believe that this coming Saturday is December 1st...where has the year gone??? Who here has most of their Christmas shopping done? I've gotten a little bit done but hardly a dent. This coming month will be a challenge in itself!

Hope everyone made it home from their travels safe & sound.

Happy Monday everyone!
Old 11-26-2001, 11:32 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies!

Well, I'm back from my cruise. We had a really nice time. The ship was beautiful, the service was wonderful & the food was, well, EXTREMELY plentiful (YIKES!!). Yes, I ate quite a bit more than usual, but did manage to use the treadmills in the exercise area fairly regularly (about 4 times), so I was glad about that. I weighed myself at home this morning & was up only 3.5 pounds from my last home weigh in on Nov 15, so that was right on my target of no more that 3-4 pounds.

We had pretty nice weather (a few clouds here & there). Did some shopping & bought a pretty trillion cut tanzanite ring in St. Maarten. St. Maarten was my favorite port of call - quite pretty, quaint & much less crowded that St. Thomas or Nassau. I could envision a return trip back there for a week.

One of the women at our dinner table was also a WW person. She had even been a receptionist in the past for them. Unfortunately, she had gained at least some of her weight back & was saying she needed to get back into it. WW is everywhere!

We also were randomly chosen on the flight out AND back to have all of our bags searched - it takes so much extra time at the airports now - at least 90 minutes to 2 hours before your flight leaves.

I breezed through last week's posts to catch up on all the goings on. It was nice to get away, but always nice to get back home. I missed DH & DD quite a bit.

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving went well.

Melissa - I haven't even started any shopping - seems too early with Thanksgiving being earlier this year, plus we don't have any snow yet so it's hard to get in the mood.

Later,
Old 11-26-2001, 11:57 AM   #3  
si, si signora

hi all-

kt: sound like you had a blast! I am so glad you went on the cruise. I have been to the carribbean once, when I was young and unappreciative. I would love to go again and the jewelry is to die for. good for you for keeping up with the exercise.

melissa: I also have a '90 volvo wagon. I love it to death, but we need to replace DP's truck and we want something that is drivable by both. I'm glad you were not injured in your accident- but it is a testimony to how well volvos stand up. We up the street from the dealer and we see lots of smashed up volvos going into the body shop.

Laurel- The cheese straws are a distant memory. Fuggeditaboutthem and start thinking about making potpourri as gifts. Its not as tasty. Jacques is currently receiving green beans as a garnish to his dinner to keep him sleek this holiday season. The cat, she just snickers.

So, this is a whacky week for me. I'm in Canada (hi seesaw!) for a meeting in the middle of the week and then I'm off another lala adventure. I'm hoping that my luck on not being singled out for searches will hold out. In case, I'm mailing home my dog bisquits and packing really lightly. I have flown 40,000 miles since sept 11 and only once did the airline ask me to describe something that I may have packed and trust me, with my ethnic background and flying pattern, I'm always the poster child for airport harrassment.

sigh.

okay, off to work. Everyone have a 22 pt ave, 30 min exercise, 64 oz. water and vitamin week.

lala
Old 11-26-2001, 01:18 PM   #4  
LM

Hi everybody. I am so relieved that Thanksgiving is over. My new resolve is...23 points a day until I lose about 3 or 4 pounds. Now, can I remember how to do that!!!

melissa I can totally relate to that veering off track. Nice to know we have friends to get back on track with!!

kt cruise sounded great. i'd love to go to a tropical paradise...

lala yup me 'n Jacques are hitting the green beans. Oddly, Edward is quite fond of green beans too, so he can join the club.

Okay, all together now...TWENTY THREE POINTS...
Old 11-26-2001, 06:30 PM   #5  

Hi everyone.

I must thank you all for you incredible support the past couple of weeks. My dad is coming along nicely and seems to have about 90% of his old self back. He's more tired than usual, still stumbles over some words and has some trouble writing. But all in all he's doing great.

Well, between not eating as much due to stress (VERY unusual for me!) and trying to relieve it with walking, plus, avoiding drinking due to some meds I'm taking this month... I've actually lost weight and am down to 127.6.

Guys it's really weird and I know it won't stay there. I love having a glass of wine now and then too much to give it up - even for weight loss. Also eating with hubby - will definitely get me back up in no time. I love food way too much~!

Laurel - hope you've won the battle over the toffee and cheese straws. I know you'll "win the war".

Lala - so how cold is Canada???

Katie - it sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. And I think you did great considering how much food they throw at ya. I can commiserate with your time at the airport. While I didn't get "double checked" the line through security at Logan (Boston) airport was - I kid you not - 2 blocks long. The only thing that saved us was that we would have missed our flight so they let us through sooner.

Melissa - are you OK? I missed reading about your accident.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:44 PM   #6  

Katie: Sounds like the cruise was wonderful! I love tanzanite--it's one of my favorite stones. DH and I have talked about taking a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary (5 years from now).

Lala: I had my purse emptied out in Chicago...they took my nail clippers and broke off the file...funny thing about it is that I went through our local airport and Pittsburgh with no problem... good luck in getting the Volvo! I heard an interesting thing about them...did you know that they can't use them for the big monster truck demolitions? The reason being is that they don't "crush" like most cars.

Patch: I'm glad to hear that your dad is doing better. It's so scary when something happens to one of your parents. As for the accident...I was talking to Lala about how I had gotten a Volvo just out of high school back in 1980 and got hit head on...I was lucky to come out with just bruises. The car took the brunt of the accident. I was lucky especially since I wasn't wearing a seatbelt at the time. I'm a big advocate of seatbelt use now

Today I went out and walked over the lunch hour, went to my yoga class and did a little more walking. I feel good! Now to keep the motivation in the coming weeks.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:32 PM   #7  
si, si signora

Hi all-

Trying to burn some cds for my *&^!! demo tomorrow. Did I ever tell you how much I love science?

So, Patch - Vancouver is much like Seattle, so I am expecting rain, cool weather and decent coffee. We're staying in a pretty nice hotel w/a gym, so tomorrow am will be like every other morning. I am thinking chinese for dinner in chinatown though...

Melissa- Yup, the confiscating of the nail file happened to me too- after however, one transatlantic flight and a couple of domestics. The thing I hate the most is the pawing through my stuff, especially my cosmetic bag. Yech, don't touch my mouthguard and dental floss. eeeuw, i get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

laurel looks like you are having the lala wakeup of october. I gave away so many desserts at work after thanksgiving. None of that stuff was worth keeping. I did indulge in my pumpkin struesel pie at mom and dad's didn't eat the crust though.

kt seems like life is back to normal for you. How did DD and DH do for the week you were gone?

okay- off to check on cd status. Have a great tomorrow everyone, remember, 22 pts on the lips means something to your hips or something.

whatever.

lala
Old 11-28-2001, 09:48 AM   #8  

Hi everyone. Just a quick note to say I'm still here. We've been experiencing major computer problems since our office move. I've tried to post two replies to this thread and both were lost somewhere in the transition, so I guess I'll just be lurking until they find a solution.

I do want to mention that I weighed in Saturday and was UP 3 lbs. - not a surprise given that I've been in major pigout mode throughout the entire month. But I'm feeling much better now that I've had my wake-up call....

Later, when technology redeems itself...
Old 11-28-2001, 11:19 AM   #9  
LM

Seasaw thank goodness for those wake up calls, eh??!!
I'm happy to say I've achieved 23 or less points for 2 whole days!!! (having "achieved" a 2 pound gain in the last couple of weeks). I'm so proud!
Old 11-28-2001, 01:41 PM   #10  

Seasaw: I can totally relate to the wake up calls! I've had a couple the last couple of months. Hopefully you'll get whatever computer glitch you have worked out soon

Laurel: Way to go! I find that if I focus on things on a daily basis I do much better. My goal this past week (Sun-Tues) has been to stay around 22 points at most. It's a good feeling to be in control once again!

At my meeting today we talked about how Thanksgiving wasn't as hard as the days that followed--and how we had planned everything for Thursday but somehow Friday and Saturday ended up being way off track. It's good to know that everyone is dealing with the same problems.

Anyway, I lost the 1.6# I had gained last week So I'm happy with that! I'm moving forward and working toward keeping within my points this week and making sure I move more. Two things I know I can do.

Happy Hump Day!
Old 11-28-2001, 10:32 PM   #11  
LM

oh my gosh - Melissa!!! lost 1.6 pounds post-T-day?!?! YOU ARE A GODDESS!!!!
Old 11-29-2001, 08:55 AM   #12  

Laurel: I still am in awe that I lost...I had nightmares that my weight was going to be up over my goal area. It was a huge relief to see I was just below. I'm watching really close to make sure I don't get hit with "backlash" next week.

I've been training to become a WW receptionist and it's been real interesting. I have a healthy respect for the girls behind the counter I'm enjoying learning the "ropes" and being able to help others in their journey. I received my WW pin in the mail yesterday so the reality is setting in.

Lala: Hope you were able to get the demo to run okay.

Hope everyone is doing okay!
Old 11-29-2001, 10:30 AM   #13  

Good morning!

Been rather busy at work since I was off last week, so I haven't had much time to post.

lala - thanks for asking - DD & DH did great while I was gone - DH always takes her to daycare in the morning (& I do pickup in the afternoon), so it was just a couple of extra pickups for him plus she has swimming lessons on Tues evenings. Part of this week & most of next week DH is out of town (only abt 2 hrs away but too far to commute each day), so I will be doing the extra duties.

Melissa - way to go on the loss this week - any loss (or maintain) during Thanksgiving week is a great accomplishment. Glad to hear the WW training is going well.

Seasaw - glad to see you checking in -

LM - I'm with you - I've got to keep my points a little more in check from the 3-4 pounds I added from the eating on the cruise.

Well, I did weigh in last night and was up 3.8 pounds from my last official weigh in on Nov 14 - right in the range I was hoping to stay within. I am hoping with getting back to more "normal" non-excessive eating, those few pounds will disappear.

Well, it is the 2nd to last day of November & we have not had any snow for the entire month - that would be a record to not have any measureable snowfall in November around here - we've received rain instead - have you received any snow yet, Melissa ?

Planning to buy the Christmas tree this weekend. What's everyone else's plans for the weekend??

Later,
Old 11-29-2001, 12:04 PM   #14  

Hi everyone. It's a grey day and we're expected a bit of snow this evening before the temps rise and it turns to rain. Am supposed to run with a group after work; hope it's not too nasty.

katie: In both of my failed attempts at replies to this thread earlier in the week, I expressed my admiration at how you set and achieved a realistic goal for your vacation. So much wiser than denial and it makes getting back on track easier too. As for this weekend, we'll likely decorate the house. DH's Christmas party is next Saturday and we always have folks in for a drink beforehand. I like to have the house decorated for that.

Way to go Melissa. You must have exercised great control. Can you throw some of it this way? I'm struggling...

lala: Went for a long walk along the ocean last weekend. You had mentioned you were coming to Canada but not the destination, so I guess it was not you seated on a lawn chair gazing out at the Atlantic on Sunday afternoon. Perhaps you were enjoying something similar on the other coast?? BC and other parts of the west have been battered by successive storms this week. Has any of that affected you?

lm: Are you still sticking to 23 points per day? My target is 25 and as long as I get exercise, I think I can lose. The challenge has been evenings, after dinner, so it's emotional eating, not hunger. Will that ever change?

The renovation work in the bathroom is almost finished. DH ran into an unexpected problem yesterday. Yikes - you should have heard the language! Anyway, it will be good to have that behind us. The new paint job looks great - a better choice than the yellow I think.

I've decided to weigh-in weekly for the next month to protect against "Christmas creep". Unfortunately, I don't think I've shed an ounce of the extra three pounds so far this week.

Bye for now,
Old 11-29-2001, 01:25 PM   #15  

Katie: No snow yet...last year at this time we had over 42" by this time. I'm not all that worried because I'm sure the snow will be coming somewhere down the line. The forecast for the rest of the week is the same...rain, dreary and possibility of rain/snow mix on Sunday. The temps here have been unusually warm (upper 50's low 60's) which is weird for us.

Seasaw: I can totally relate to the struggling--it seems the last few weeks/months have been really hard. I think maybe the challenge of staying OP during the holidays has spurred some of the motivation. I need to remain in control so that I can achieve my goal for my 2002 weigh in and that's to be at goal or close to my comfort zone (140). I bet you can't wait to get that bathroom all finished up.

As for the weekend--tomorrow night I'm getting a perm and I can't wait...my hair has gotten longer and with this rainy weather it's as limp as a dishrag We have our big work party on Saturday evening with a buffet dinner; my plan is to sit on the opposite side of the food so I won't be tempted to go back up. It's worked in the past so I know this will work again this year. It's a BYOB type of function so I'll bring some diet soda and light beer to drink and I'll be all set.
Closed Thread