Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 AM   #1  
Groovin 4 a small planet

S/C/G: 2002: 205/129 Now: 155/144/125

Height: 5'4

Default So embarassed to ask this...

but is this the forum where the drinkers hang out? I know, I sound like a drunk, but that is seriously the only thing I have a rough time with calorie and diet wise. I could eat veggies and lean protein all day forever, but I want to drink good red wine and dark beer, and I don't want just one!

Anyway, just seeing if there is anyone out there like me. I figured I would start with the 20 somethings and move on up from here! Hahahahaha!

Have a great day, and cheers!
JaimePhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

There's a few wine sippers in the Featherweights
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #3  
Groovin 4 a small planet

Thanks, I will check it out!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Remenber Booze does have calories. A 4 oz glass of red wine is about 80 calories.Beer about 100 calories or more, depends on brand and size of serving.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #5  
Groovin 4 a small planet

Oh, I am well aware, and so is my waistline.

It doesn't mean I don't want it...

I could say no to cake all day long, but a glass of good red wine is a different story...
Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #6  

Mmm, wine I can't say I'm much a fan of beer since I moved back from Canada (Canadian beer really is better, eh?). But a good glass of wine... For sure! I think they say a glass of red every night is good for your heart anyway, so don't feel guilty about that first glass. And you can easily incorporate those extra calories if, as you say, you can eat lean protein and veggies all day! I think the trick for you would be to focus on cutting back... We all have things in our lives that we have to learn to enjoy in moderation if we're going to get healthier. And yes, while one glass a night might be good, a whole bottle is not Maybe work on cutting down on your consumption... Just reduce it by 1/4 per week for now, see what happens. I don't know how much you drink, as you've only said that you love it... But if it's quantity you're concerned about, you might just have to bite the bullet and cut some of it out. (It IS like if wine and beer were chocolate cake. The same diet method applies.)

And then, the best part is that the money you save from not buying as much alcohol can be spent on upping the quality! And who doesn't like a $20 bottle of wine over a $10 bottle?
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

You lush!

J/k. You actually sound a lot like me. I can chew on veggies all day (and like it), but I also enjoy a good microbrew or pinot noir.

I am on a temporary wine hiatus, though. I started to celebrate my fabulous self a little too much. I'm looking to take better care of myself so I'm going to give it a rest. I also can't deny how much easier it is to stay in shape and lose those last few pounds when I don't drink at all. Oh, to be that disciplined girl I once was to go out with my friends and sit there and sip water...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #8  
Groovin 4 a small planet

I know, Junebug, I know . I used to be able to sip club soda when I was on my first major weightloss journey (205 to 130, got lazy and drank too much and ate way too much pizza and got back up to 155) and now I just try to sip slowly and chase every glass of wine with a large ice water. I haven't had a beer since I started my SB journey, so it will be a month with no beer this coming Saturday. I have to say though, and it may sound weird, I LOVE losing slowly. Maybe because I have personally seen the dangers of losing fast, and how easy it is for the pounds to come back.

I'll get there; we all will.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #9  
Groovin 4 a small planet

BTW, Junebug, you and I seem really similar journey wise. How tall are you? You look amazing!!! When I was at my lowest, I was always thrilled to go to a show or a concert (I like Dave, but I was and still am a HUGE Phish Phan, may they RIP) and wear tiny tanks and gauchos and flips; before I was always hot bc I felt so uncomfortable in sleeveless shirts.

Good luck on your maintenance! Keep up the great work!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #10  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I'm the occasional wine/beer/cocktail drinker too -- though since counting calories those occasions have decreased by a lot! (and since losing weight, I guess I get my buzz for less alchy a.k.a. "cheap date") hahahaha.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Thank you Jaime! I am 5'6 by some docs and 5'7 by others. I guess I'm in between?

Hmm. You like Phish more than Dave and you live in VA? Wha....???? I have a lot of faith that they will reunite, no worries. I'm definitely with ya on feeling uncomfortable at shows, though.

BTW, my boyfriend (who is trying to lose his Relationship 15- comparable to the Freshman 15) has started alternating every drink he has with a glass or 2 of water, depending on the size. It's actually working quite well for him.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #12  

Height: 5'9"

Drinking is my Achilles' heel, too. I enjoy going out for beer with my friends on the weekend. Also, my job is such that there's always a lot of free alcohol and schmoozing, and the work culture is rather entrenched in hard drinking. If you don't drink, people assume you're already in AA. LOL.

I have managed to reduce my alcohol consumption somewhat, and I have been volunteering quite nerdily as the designated driver on a lot of the Friday nights out. One of the best solutions I have found is vodka and soda. It's about 50 calories per drink and I love it. I can have two or three and it's all good. Occasional red wine is also delicious. If you have it with good, lean meals, I think it's okay.

All told, I probably have 7-8 drinks per week and I'm still losing weight. You just have to make sacrifices elsewhere, I guess.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #13  
Groovin 4 a small planet

Quote:
Hmm. You like Phish more than Dave and you live in VA? Wha....???? I have a lot of faith that they will reunite, no worries.
HA! I know, I am originally from NJ, though-Phish is a big east coast band.

I met Dave earlier this year at a fund raiser. What a handsome man...Sigh...
Old 02-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/193/135

Height: 5'8

I also love drinking >_> but it's not wine for me, it's mixed drinks.. I <3 <3 margaritas.. It's been hard to go without.. I've drank 4 times since jan 15 when i started.. 2 times i had a margarita at a restaurant.. and the other 2 times i had boone's farm and arbor mist.. which is really ghetto but they put the calories on the bottle lol... needless to say those were on my high calorie days.. and yea, at my friends halloween party, I drank 12 beers and 7 jello shots that i had made with lime jello and tequila... and i was fine lol XD.. now a drink or two will do

p.s <3 Dave
Rabmonk006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #15  
Groovin 4 a small planet

I hate margaritas bc I hate sweetness mixed with alcohol, but I have a sub for you if you are interested...

Crystal Lite lemonade, tequila, and some salt actually makes a decent mock 'rita.

Hahahahahaha, arbor mist! That brings back college memories...