Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:25 AM   #76  

Height: 5'-2"

PJ, we belong to something called Zip.ca. It's great! I think it's $26 a month. You go online and make a big list of what you want from their huge list of movies, and they start by sending you four from your list. You can keep them for as long or as short as you like, and as soon as you send one or more back, they send you another in it's place. We usually send ours back in enough time so that we have four a week. The postage is free.
I don't know what the other services are like, but if they're anything like this, I'd do it!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #77  

Height: 5'4"

I have blockbuster online and so far I like it pretty well. I used to get netflix but stopped it once when I was going to be out of town for a couple of months and never started it back up. The biggest benefit to blockbuster over the others is that they give you 2 coupons a month for free rentals in the local store so if it's taking too long to get a flick you can just pick it up instead of waiting for it to come in.

I have NOT been happy with the quality of the DVD's. Out of maybe 20 or so that I have gotten since I signed up about 5 have been defective in some way to the point that I wanted to pull my hair out trying to "get around" the part that kept stopping. The time from mail back to get back seems to be a little longer with blockbuster than it was with netflix (although I could just be remembering wrong - it's been a while).

Edit: Blockbuster is US$14.99/mo for 3 movies and at the time I had it Netflix was $19.99 but I think it might have gone down since I unsubscribed.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #78  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

I have Blockbuster, and I like it. I live much closer to one of the DVd warehouse thingys, so it only takes about 2-3 days to mail the old movie and get a new one. I haven't had probelms where I had to send one back though...
Old 07-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #79  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Thanks for the info - maybe I will try both simultaneously - since they both a 2 week free trial and - which ever one is the fastest shipping and the best condition I will pick. The 2 free in store might be ok since they dont do late fees anymore - I am only in the city every other Fridya it is 35 miles 1 way to nearest Blockbuster - we have a vid store closer but you have to go there and go back to return - (lazy) I just hate to leave my home it is so - farmy - here.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #80  
Pending Email Confirmation

aj - i do netflix, have for about 5 years, and it's awesome. i think in the whole time we've had them, we've only had a handful of damaged ones come to us. they email you when your movie is mailed, when it get's back to them, it's basically like the others. i see you're in oregon, which is why i mention it, they have a warehouse in salem and we live in eugene, we get our DVD's the next day so we can go through them faster.

by the way- watched cursed last night and it is AWEFUL! Like, worst movie I've ever seen awful. seriously. but that's part of why watching it was so fun. if you enjoy just making complete fun of a movie and talking through the whole thing ala Mystery Science Theater - then go ahead and rent it. Otherwise there are a million other things you should do with your time. Wax your bikini area, pluck out every eyelash, clean the catbox... you get the idea.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #81  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Wink Howdy Neighbor

Lizz - you are practically in my back yard - I live 35 miles SE of Roseburg. I have family in Eugene. But then I have family everywhere as there are so many of us.

Anyway - I was leaning toward Netflix but in price comparison the Blockbuster is a better deal - for $14.99 BB lets you have 3 at a time whereas NF only gives you 2. both being equal in all other respects.

Cursed - sounds like a movie I would want to see - oh that is the vampire one with the girl from addams family - what is her name?

The horror flicks lately have been overall disappointing - touted as so scary and yet so predictable - the one with Sarah Michelle Gellar was awful - what was the name of that movie? Oh yeah, The Grudge. Hopefully her remake of Alice in Wonderland is better but it probably wont be.

The forgotten was ok - I didnt care for the ending. Dont get me started on Lost in Translation - it lost me in the first 5.

Seems like we just saw a movie the other night or last month - who knows the way time flies - and when it was over me and my husband just looked at each other and were like "ok" that was a weird way to end the movie. I will think of it one of this days.

LOL - I just read the last sentence of your post - I must have skipped over it in my haste to post another long winded reply LOL
Old 07-21-2005, 06:48 PM   #82  

Lizz, your review of Cursed left me in stitches Needless to say while DH has a thing for Vampire or Werewolf movies..I'll steer him clear of this one!
aj/pj... I think you're thinkin of Christina Ricci..
Old 07-21-2005, 07:01 PM   #83  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Thanks Schatzi - you may just have saved me needless hours lying away - LOL

And you can call me PJ since AJ is my Husband - I use the same user ID everywhere so I dont have to remember them - 99 is the year we got hitched.

That way it is like 8th grade when you wrote AJ & PJ 4 Ever all over your pee chees.

LOL
Old 07-21-2005, 11:12 PM   #84  
Pending Email Confirmation

pj - if you say you live in Cottage grove..... i'll croak. then we'd probably be related... as everyone else in that town. *LOL*

schatzi - he may still like it. but, the werewolf looked like a really angry muppet, sort of like fozzy bear in a 'roid rage or something. the acting was terrible too. it's more of an amusement movie than a horror movie.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #85  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

nope further south than that - but we could still be related - I have dozens and dozens of cousins LOL
Old 07-22-2005, 06:23 AM   #86  

Lizz.. actually it sounds like its so bad that its probably funny! At this point I think he needs a new Vampire/Werewolf flick.. The man has watched Queen of the Damned and Underworld countless of times... I just don't get how he can watch the same movie over and over and over.... His last set of redundant movies was Resident Evil and the 5th Element.. Good flicks worthy of repeat viewing, but he borders on the ridiculous ... hmm maybe he got a thing for Mila Jockovich..or whatever her name is!

PJ, yeah wait for War of the Worlds to come out on video... not really worth the tix price....still haven't seen Wonka... but want to see that and Dark water.....
..I agree.. The Grudge was AWFUL!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #87  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Lizziness- loved your reveiw of Cursed!

The original version of The Grudge was better as was the original version of The Ring. Asian cinema has some damned creepy movies!

DH wants to see Fantastic Four but I really have no interest.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #88  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Thumbs up Meet the Fochers

We rented Meet the Fockers last night. It was cute, funny, kept my attention. I would say some of the material was a bit too much like the first, but if you liked the first you may as well see the second.

I have a brand new membership with Blockbuster online. So once I get caught up on the new releases and some older ones we missed - I will start to check out these other movies that some of you have raved about. I would love to a truly creepy movie, it has been ages since a movie gave me that - glad I am not alone tonight - feeling. Or lets sleep with the lights on tonight dear.

In an earlier post I was trying to remember the movie we saw with the ending that left us confused or saying ' whatever' - it was the Exorcist - The Beginning. Very slow as I recall, my hubby fell asleep and I only watched to end because after a certain point you just have to know how it ends - no matter how dumb. I read books for the same reason.

The funny thing about the DVD- Mail membership is I dont have a DVD player -
I have one on my laptop - and my auntie has one that I will borrow when the first movies come - but next trip to the Roseburg (29th) and I get to buy one!! We need a new TV for the living room anyway - ours died in there months ago. So we only watch in bed - which sucks since the ac is in the liv room.

Later
Old 07-23-2005, 12:54 AM   #89  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Arrow James Doohan has been "beamed" home

James Doohan "Scotty" from Star Trek passed away this week at age 85. As an avid fan, I am so sad to see him go.

Startrek.com has lots more info for anyone interested - it is free.

Scotty was the ultimate optimist and a sci-fi Mcgyver. He could fix anything and had a never say die attitude. I especially liked the way he exagerrated how long a project would take to make sure he always got it done faster.

I do that to my boss sometimes

Even if you arent a Trekkie - I think we can learn something from the characture he played - positive, caring, loyal, trustworthy and very helpful.

Here's to ya lad Warp speed.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #90  

Height: 5'-2"

Hear, hear! To sweet Scotty!
I understand that his ashes will be sent to space on the next shuttle. Lovely to think of Scotty floating around the universe.

Speaking of The Exorcist, the last one is the absolute WORST! The special effects are so bad they're almost funny.
Closed Thread