Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #331  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Some good news to share for a change instead of my usual whining.
I had sent my rheumatologist a message this morning asking if ~ I could maybe start the prednisone (the med she prescribed for inflammation when I have a RA flare up) a couple days earlier than my 4 week deadline of being off my meds because of that shingles shot. She just called and it was good news ~ better even than what I asked. I can start the prednisone tomorrow ~ I had asked if I could start on Sunday ~ so that will be more days of the med before my trip than I asked for. I was about in tears this morning at the thought of trying to do this and being hardly able to walk. Steve was gonna call the airline and see about someone taking me in a wheel chair from one gate to the next. Hopefully I won't need that, but think I will let Steve go ahead and arrange it just in case. I am so thankful ~ prayers were answered.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #332  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
I had sent my rheumatologist a message this morning asking if ~ I could maybe start the prednisone (the med she prescribed for inflammation when I have a RA flare up) a couple days earlier than my 4 week deadline of being off my meds because of that shingles shot. She just called and it was good news ~ better even than what I asked. I can start the prednisone tomorrow ~ I had asked if I could start on Sunday ~ so that will be more days of the med before my trip than I asked for. I was about in tears this morning at the thought of trying to do this and being hardly able to walk. Steve was gonna call the airline and see about someone taking me in a wheel chair from one gate to the next. Hopefully I won't need that, but think I will let Steve go ahead and arrange it just in case. I am so thankful ~ prayers were answered.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #333  

Hi Everyone,

Still on target. Got myself a tea ball so that I can make my ginger/lemon tea (not sure why I just couldn’t buy Ginger/Lemon Tea?). Added the Marshmallow root to my water this morning – does NOT taste like marshmallows I know!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Lynn, I hope I am not being too nosey but why did the doctor want you to stop the Prevacid, statin, and Celebrex, and why do you need to take that concoction before stopping the Prevacid? I'm just curious. I'm thinking this is the holistic way of thinking.
Hi Carol Sue,

Of course you are not too nosey. Basically, she believes that these drugs are screwing up my immune system and causing all of my numerous ailments. The concoction is to avoid my having gastric/esophageal problems when I stop the Prevacid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Lynn - I knew you could do it. I can do but it's very hard and I rarely can get myself to do it more than one evening. Isn't that crazy really though?!! I mean people all over the world eat only one or two meals a day and yet it's so hard for me to get through the evening even when I've eaten every 2 or 3 hours all day! And I'm sure it has a great deal to do with my not losing.
How is your bs when you don't eat in the evening? I think it would probably help mine but I would take it at bedtime just in case.
Hi Mary,

I am embarrassed to admit I haven’t taken my BS in months. I think that the night eating has to be habit. I have no problems during the day. I also think it is the culprit in my not losing. Tonight will be 3 nights. Once I start the 10-Day sugar Detox, I will not be eating anything after my dinner for 10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
Today, my gym and massage day was interrupted.
As I was stopped at red light, the car behind me stopped then I looked away. BANG His car suddenly hit my back end!!! I realized a woman in a red SUV came over the hill and crashed into the guy, who then crashed into me. Luckily I had my foot on the break so I didn't hit the white truck in front of me. I drove to corner with place to park then took my information and walked back up the hill to talk to the Sheriff's Deputy. He first talked with the sobbing woman in the SUV, so I told him I was needing to sit down, pointed to my parked car and asked if he could stop there for my information. I left him by registration, drivers license and Insurance proof.

Thank goodness I wasn't hurt and still able to go to get full body massage that eased out the tension I was feeling.
Hi Sandy,

So happy to read you were not hurt. I hope you don’t have “after-shocks.”

Everyone, Have a GREAT evening!

Lynn
Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #334  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I had a terrible night last night. I didn't have a lot of pain, but every time I laid down I got palpitations. I would sit up for a while and feel better, but it started again when I would lie down. I checked my blood pressure and it was up a bit, so I took an extra pill, but I still felt terrible. I finally fell asleep for a short time. Two years ago I had that and went to the ER, thinking it was a heart problem. They checked everything out, but said it was my thyroid, not my heart. My PCP started me on synthroid, but after my thyroid leveled out it went the other way and I had to stop the meds. I have had the palpitations since then but didn't go to the ER because I assume it's the same deal. My cardiologist had me wear a 30 day heart monitor and said it's nothing but extra beats here and there, but it's very annoying and scary to have that feeling. My PCP checks my TSH a couple times a year and it's always good.

Gayle, I'm so glad you are able to start back on the prednisone. At one point, it was believed that I had a bad reaction to IVP contrast dye, so now, when I have to have test done with dye, I have to be premedicated with prednisone. It causes my psoriasis to clear up, but I just get one shot, not ongoing meds.

Sandy, I'm glad you're not having after effects from the accident. All your walking and movement must have you in pretty good shape.

Lynn, I have watched "10 Day Detox" on PBS several times. Yesterday, at Goodwill, I bought a copy of Blood Sugar Solution for $1.85 and read a bit of it last night. It is similar to his 10 Day Detox plan. He has very good ideas and once you get the sugar and carbs out of your system I think it would be a good healthy plan. I would have a hard time giving up caffiene. For about a year I gave it up except for what I call "an inch of coffee" in the morning. I would just put a small amount in a mug in the morning and then switch to water for the rest of the day. I don't know how I got back on it. I order water when we eat out, but I was back up to 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day, and am now back down to 2, and trying to stop that too. It's so contraversial, because they are saying that a couple cups of coffee a day is healthy for so many things. You never know what to do.

I notice that DR Hyman recommends a lot of supplements. I am afraid to take supplements. Every time I read up about one I find some side effect or warning that scares me.

I agree that night time eating is a habit and not true hunger. Do you take any meds for blood sugar? If you do, be careful, because this change in diet will really lower your bs readings. I check bs in the am and before each meal to see if I need meds, and also at bedtime. My A1c is OK, but not great. I try to keep it down so they don't increase my meds.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #335  

Height: 5' 2"

CarolSue Scary to have the heart palpitations when lying down. Really confused about the thyroid showing down then up. Our bodies are very strange at times. Hope you find a solution and quickly, too.

Gayle Good news indeed that you will have some help with medicine BEFORE you travel. Do take advantage of the help at the airport even if you don't need it and save your strength for the visits.

Lynn I can't imagine having to give up coffee. Sugar, perhaps, but I really look forward to those few cups of good black coffee in the morning. I do stop all of that before 3:00 PM.

Supplements: I take some such as Glocosomine, Vit D3, Fish Oil, Special multicaps recomended by eye doctor, and Co10 that each morning with ghe Glocosomine and vitamine tablets also in evening with fish oil.

My eyes are doing better with the fish oil, altho I stopped that 2 days ago so it is out of my body before the tooth is pulled on Monday. I tend to bleed and bruise easily even without the fish oil.

Last night I binged but refuse to beat myself up about it. I enjoyed it very much and my craving for chocolate may be slowed down now that I gave in.
We'll see.

Mary thinking of you.

Time for good coffee on the patio with my hubby. Sandy
Old 08-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #336  

Hi Everyone,

Tonight is my 4th night of no eating after 8 pm. So far, so good with my goals. Tuesday I am going to a High Tea so I will likely mess up my goals. I will keep it within reason & get right back on as soon as I get home.

Have a nice evening,

Lynn

Quote:
Lynn, I have watched "10 Day Detox" on PBS several times. Yesterday, at Goodwill, I bought a copy of Blood Sugar Solution for $1.85 and read a bit of it last night. It is similar to his 10 Day Detox plan. He has very good ideas and once you get the sugar and carbs out of your system I think it would be a good healthy plan. I would have a hard time giving up caffiene. For about a year I gave it up except for what I call "an inch of coffee" in the morning. I would just put a small amount in a mug in the morning and then switch to water for the rest of the day. I don't know how I got back on it. I order water when we eat out, but I was back up to 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day, and am now back down to 2, and trying to stop that too. It's so contraversial, because they are saying that a couple cups of coffee a day is healthy for so many things. You never know what to do.

I notice that DR Hyman recommends a lot of supplements. I am afraid to take supplements. Every time I read up about one I find some side effect or warning that scares me.

I agree that night time eating is a habit and not true hunger. Do you take any meds for blood sugar? If you do, be careful, because this change in diet will really lower your bs readings. I check bs in the am and before each meal to see if I need meds, and also at bedtime. My A1c is OK, but not great. I try to keep it down so they don't increase my meds.
Hi Carol,

I have never seen him, but my new doctor mentioned that he is often on tv. I have not read enough to know if decaf is allowed on the 10-day diet, but I wouldn’t want it anyway without creamer. I have a 16 oz cup every morning from WaWa on my way to the gym.

I think the side effects from medications are just as scary as from supplements. I will try this stuff & see how it makes me feel. Doctor will be monitoring me along the way with blood tests.

I take Janumet twice a day for BS. I guess I had better start checking my BS. My A1c is always under 6.5 so I never worry too much. However, new doctor says that is too high. She believes I will be able to get off the Janumet if I change my diet & take certain supplements.

About the heart palpitations – do you notice that they are worse if you lie on your left side? I have them all the time. Am used to them so, unless they are accompanied by other stuff, I ignore them.

Quote:
Lynn I can't imagine having to give up coffee. Sugar, perhaps, but I really look forward to those few cups of good black coffee in the morning. I do stop all of that before 3:00 PM.

Supplements: I take some such as Glocosomine, Vit D3, Fish Oil, Special multicaps recomended by eye doctor, and Co10 that each morning with ghe Glocosomine and vitamine tablets also in evening with fish oil.

My eyes are doing better with the fish oil, altho I stopped that 2 days ago so it is out of my body before the tooth is pulled on Monday. I tend to bleed and bruise easily even without the fish oil.

Last night I binged but refuse to beat myself up about it. I enjoyed it very much and my craving for chocolate may be slowed down now that I gave in.
We'll see.
Hi Sandy,

I figure I can do anything for 10 days. After that, we’ll see. Right now I am starting to buy the groceries I will need & purge my pantry & fridge. Figuring I will start the 10-day diet on Wednesday, 9/2. I want to wait until after High Tea on Tuesday.

Right now, all I take (other than my 15-20 meds) are pills for my eyes – A-Reds – trying to delay the effects of macular degeneration. New doctor had me add marshmallow root so that I will be able to get off the antacid. She plans to attack cholesterol meds next.

Hope you enjoyed your goodies last night. I only allow myself to feel guilty if I binge & the stuff isn’t even good.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #337  

Height: 5'3"

Had a nice time with gc. They are usually easy to care for. Dh took them swimming this morning since he didn't get to yesterday. I walked about 1/2 mile and biked 28 min, and did hand bike 4 min. while they were swimming. When I got off the bike I hurt and could hardly walk...don't know why as not usually that way. Then came home for a snack before delivering them to dd's friend to babysit tonight. They will enjoy playing with her children. Before going home we had to get gas so went to Costco for lunch and a little shopping while we were there for gas. Dh is wishing we were taking a road trip now while the gas is low. I decided to take the day off from housework after I got home. I was sleeping and actually took a nap while watching TV! I don't do that often. I think it was only about 20 min but sure felt good.

Lynn - I am very impressed with your discipline! And feeling better will definitely be a great reward. I too hate it when I overeat and really don't enjoy the food that much. I feel stupid!

Carol Sue - Do be careful about your meds....I've known people who got really messed up making their own decisions taking or not taking drugs. I am sure you are careful but it kinda scares me, you've been through enough, I don't want something to happen to you. Even I have done it but not often. Before I started my latest prescription, I took an extra diabetes med a couple times. My rational was I knew I was taking a very low dose of it, and my doc had told me he might need to up it so when I had overeaten and my bs was very high I took an extra one. Now that I'm on three diabetic meds though I will not do that. I also have gone off my statin in the past because my doctor told me I could try that to see whether it caused my leg pain, but when I later told him he told me I shouldn't have done it on my own That's the doctor I quit seeing....

I take a lot of supplements but am careful..I do a lot of research first, and don't take just anything that is new and faddish and actually several of our supplements now have been prescribed by our doctor even though they are OTC products. Co Q 10, fish oil, cranberry (for me) are some of those.

Glynne - So glad you are able to take your RA med again!! Hope that will make your trip easier. I remember when I used to have severe sciatic pain in my right hip/leg. We were in Mexico when it started and dh had to actually turn me in bed, the pain was so bad! The day we left I was lagging behind everyone (my dh and dd), trying to pull my rolling suitcase in pain even with a large amount of Motrin in me. I felt like they were impatient with me and it was awful. I should have gotten one of those rides I spoke about or arranged for a wheel chair I guess but I never dreamed it would get so bad.

Sandy - Glad your car is ok. What was the fish oil for relating to your eyes? I guess I missed that. I just learned last year that fish oil can cause bleeding when they had dh stop his before surgery.

Have a good evening and good sleep!

Last edited by maryea; 08-29-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #338  

I had a much better night last night. I woke up often, but only had minor pain and palpitations, and fell back to sleep easily. I feel very good this morning compared to the past few days. The only thing I can think of is that I drank a bottle of water in the evening. I don't usually drink during the evening because I don't want to get up so much to go to the bathroom, but I always have to get up at least once, either way. I will try the water again this evening. I had a Motrin on the bedside table in case I needed it. When I woke up around 3 I didn't want to take it because it would be on an empty stomach, so I took 2 tylenol. That was all I needed.

Mary, I know that it is always said not to change your prescription without consent of your doctor. I would not have cut back on my meds if I didn't know that my labs were so good, and I always do it gradually, not abruptly stop them. I feel that I'm being careful. My doctor offered to increase my diabetes meds but I told him I wanted to continue to work on it as it is and he said OK. I am on the smallest dose, and sometimes if I check my blood sugar and it's not very high I will only take half. If it is high, I will sometimes take 2.

One time DH abruptly stopped taking his beta blocker. Then he started having a racing heart beat and had to be hospitalized. I didn't know he stopped it altogether or I would have told him to just cut back a little bit instead of stopping abruptly. He just decided he didn't need it. Now I am constantly asking him if he is taking it.

I think the supplements you take are good ones. I take fish oil, as prescribed by my cardiologist. It does thin the blood, and that should be taken into consideration. When I worked at Medco a pharmacist once told me that anyone taking a statin should also be taking CO Q 10. I would think that the cranberry is similar to drinking cranberry juice for health purposes. The supplements I'm talking about are other ones that have risks that a lot of people don't know about.

Lynn, I am also impressed with your discipline! You really want this! I read up about the 10 day Detox, and it doesn't sound too bad, except for the concoction you whip up in the morning. I am not into that at all and I don't know if I could do it. As I read the Diabetes Solution the diet seemed good, but he made it seem as if the supplementation was mandatory for success and I would never take all those supplements. I think by eating a healthy diet you should be able to get what you need from food. That's just my opinion for myself, not a reflection on what others may do.

I have to get myself to the eye doctor for a long overdue exam. I have a hole in the macula of my left eye and who knows what else. I just put it off because I don't want to hear bad news. I know that's not smart. The doctor who diagnosed the hole in the macula said it is not macular degeneration and does not lead to magular degeneration, but that doesn't mean that I can't develop it. They don't know for sure what caused the hole. It could have been a jarring accident, or just age related.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #339  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Ask your eye doctor if you have a "macular pucker" instead of a real hole. DH does and in a cross section it appears to be a volcano that hasn't yet punctured thru. It slightly distorts the cross hair on a chart but doesn't stop him from being an excellent shot with pistol or a rifle.

Same eye doctor diagnosed DH over 15 years ago and it has not changed one bit in all that time. Good news for sure. Please don't put off that visit to your eye doctor for update.

Mary I stopped my fish oil on Wednesday so it would be out of my system by the time I get my tooth pulled on Monday.

Fish oil helps the oil glands (I think that is what they are called) in my eye lids to keep my eyes from being so dry. Also seem to stop my need for lubricating eye drops, too. Last visit the eye doctor told me my lids looked healthy now.

Home alone as DH and DD went to run errands. We have NO eggs, in this family that is a catastrophe.

Cleaning house, laundry, and this evening I'll be transplanting some Black Eyed Susans into the area that DH is digging out the cone flowers that no longer produce. With the soil dug up, it will be easy to add some compost and plant the August/Sept bloomers.

We are clearing the area that has held the Black Eyed susans for 10 years. Next year this area with lots of sunshine will hold my tomatoes and peppers. I can use the less sunny sites for herbs. Some annuals will go in the square that holds this year's tomatoes and peppers. I like to switch those around so the diseases don't multiply.

With the activity today I certainly don't need the gym!!!

Lynn Did you really mean you take so many meds each day? Are you counting the supplements, too. Macular degeneration is frightening.

I need to be more thankful to the Good Lord for the amount of meds I don't have to take and the ailments that I don't have, so far.

Sandy

Last edited by love2garden; 08-29-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #340  

Been reviewing presidential nominees and their views on issues. Big task with so many. I do a few at a time between other things. Got up late and not much done today. Have an appt for a manicure this afternoon. The house feels dirty to me because I've missed a couple days cleaning but it will wait.

Dog got out and I had to get her back in with promise of a treat. Then she wanted another one and I gave it to her. Felt like I was rewarding her for bad behavior but also feel it will make the idea of coming home more rewarding. I don't know really. Anyway it got her back in. The guys weren't home and she's too strong for me.

Sandy - I have dry eyes too. I take fish oil too (3000 day) but never thought of it for my eyes. I use lubricating drops at least twice a day. You work hard outside...that does count for exercise. I don't do much of that.

I feel and look very heavy right now! My weight jumped up 3# again morning...just from a couple days of too much snacking with the kids. I had a little snacks left and ate them last night so hopefully I'll do better now. It usually drops down in a few days if I eat right. I think some junk food bloats me up.

Lynn- when I know I'm eating badly for days in a row...I sometimes just stop taking my bs. Mine is not nearly as good as yours. I know I'm doing wrong and don't know why I can't get myself to change. I do well for a while, then get off track again. I've been a diabetic for about 10 years now and I still forget to test or even take my meds sometimes! I always take them but late.
My prev doc said it didn't matter as long as I take them twice a day or whatever...but my new doc says take before meals and I notice that my bs is better when I do.

Gotta go get something done today...
Old 08-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #341  

Hi Everyone,

Tonight is night 5.

Started buying the food to get ready for Wednesday to begin the 10-Day-Detox. After I finish post, I will read more of the book.

I have no plans to take any additional supplements (regardless of book) until I see new doctor again in mid-September.

Tomorrow, I am meeting my Wonderful Niece & her Wonderful DD for lunch. They are both vegans & I found a really nice restaurant with outside tables & a lovely view of stream & water-wheel mid-way between our homes (about an hour for each of us). The restaurant has several vegan choices.

Have a Wonder-full Sunday,

Lynn

Quote:
Lynn - I am very impressed with your discipline! And feeling better will definitely be a great reward. I too hate it when I overeat and really don't enjoy the food that much. I feel stupid!

I take a lot of supplements but am careful..I do a lot of research first, and don't take just anything that is new and faddish and actually several of our supplements now have been prescribed by our doctor even though they are OTC products. Co Q 10, fish oil, cranberry (for me) are some of those.
Hi Mary,

I have GREAT discipline (for certain length of times) One minute I am TOTALLY into some diet/program & the next, I am TOTALLY off it I just can't seem to find a "happy medium."

The only supplements I am taking now are the marshmallow root (prescribed by the new doctor) & pills called PreserVision I take for the macular degeneration (prescribed by 3 different eye doctors). They have Vitamin C 250 mg; Vitamin E 200 IU; Zinc 40 mg; Copper 1 mg; Luetin 5 mg; Zeaxanthin 1 mg.

I can't take cranberry - messes up my esophageal spasms.

Quote:
I had a much better night last night. I woke up often, but only had minor pain and palpitations, and fell back to sleep easily.

Lynn, I am also impressed with your discipline! You really want this! I read up about the 10 day Detox, and it doesn't sound too bad, except for the concoction you whip up in the morning. I am not into that at all and I don't know if I could do it.

I have to get myself to the eye doctor for a long overdue exam. I have a hole in the macula of my left eye and who knows what else. I just put it off because I don't want to hear bad news. I know that's not smart. The doctor who diagnosed the hole in the macula said it is not macular degeneration and does not lead to magular degeneration, but that doesn't mean that I can't develop it. They don't know for sure what caused the hole. It could have been a jarring accident, or just age related.
Hi Carol,

Where was the pain? Palpitations + pain in arm/throat/back/jaw are NOT to fool around with. If pain is in any of these areas coupled with palpitations, get yourself to ER immediately.

I found one of the smoothies that I can handle - the one with strawberries & almonds. I could probably drink anything, but I'd rather not have to hold my nose while I'm drinking

Please see info above about PreserVision. They are supposed to ward off macular degeneration - prescribed by 3 different eye doctors. There is also something similar called A-Reds.

Quote:
Lynn Did you really mean you take so many meds each day? Are you counting the supplements, too. Macular degeneration is frightening.

I need to be more thankful to the Good Lord for the amount of meds I don't have to take and the ailments that I don't have, so far.
Hi Sandy,

Unfortunately, yes. I take 7 pills every morning, 6 pills every evening, + pain pills, sleeping pills, allergy pills, and ant-acids. I am convinced they are causing many of my problems. Counting the PreserVision, but not the marshmallow root (just an eye dropper in a little bit of water).

Yes, count your blessings for your health!

Quote:
Been reviewing presidential nominees and their views on issues. Big task with so many.

Lynn- when I know I'm eating badly for days in a row...I sometimes just stop taking my bs. Mine is not nearly as good as yours. I know I'm doing wrong and don't know why I can't get myself to change. I do well for a while, then get off track again. I've been a diabetic for about 10 years now and I still forget to test or even take my meds sometimes! I always take them but late.

My prev doc said it didn't matter as long as I take them twice a day or whatever...but my new doc says take before meals and I notice that my bs is better when I do.
Hi Mary,

Be careful reviewing presidential nominees - would definitely make my BP spike

I take meds in morning when I get up & around 7 pm. I have been doing it for so long, it is a habit now.

You wrote, "I know I'm doing wrong and don't know why I can't get myself to change."

I think this applies to all of us. Once we fall off the wagon, how do we get back on? For me, I need to post on here, make goals, and throw myself into some "dramatic" new program. However, I have to be ready to do it. I've been "off the wagon" for the past 2 years. I guess the 2 stents were my wake-up call.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #342  

Lynn - Surprised by what you said about cranberry supplement. Do you mean it makes your esophagus spasms worse? I am curious because I too have these spasms and at times they are pretty bad. I'm also on two meds...prescription Nexium and OTC Zantac for GERD.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #343  

Quote:
Lynn - Surprised by what you said about cranberry supplement. Do you mean it makes your esophagus spasms worse? I am curious because I too have these spasms and at times they are pretty bad. I'm also on two meds...prescription Nexium and OTC Zantac for GERD.
Yes, brings them on. I began to suspect when I started a UTI & was drinking a LOT of cranberry juice. Spasms got SERIOUSLY bad. Then I read about it - not sure where.

New doctor thinks meds like prevacid, nexium, & Zantac exacerbate the problem. Says these meds are designed for short-term use. I have been on prevacid for at least 15 years.

Her advice is to drink dropper-full of marshmallow root in a little water every morning & drink cup of tea made w fresh scraped ginger & a little lemon juice every morning. After doing this for a week, I cut out the prevacid. Am on day 2 of this. Will keep you posted.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #344  

Another night with no palpitations and very little pain. I think the water is making the difference. I know it sounds strange, but sometimes you can be getting dehydrated but not actually feel thirsty.

Lynn, the pain is in my right hand, elbow and upper arm muscles. I and my doctor think the hand might be RA and the elbow/arm might be tendonitis. It started out with the elbow swollen up. He drained the fluid and gave a shot of cortisone. The pain came back but not the swelling. No pain in the throat, back or jaw. Jaw pain is my typical sign of a heart problem. I had that before my first stent and also before my heart surgery. Jaw pain takes me straight to the ER! A year or so ago I got palpitations so bad that I called an ambulance and went to the ER. They said no heart problem, but thyroid was low. I wore a 30 day heart monitor and the cardiologist said it was just extra heart beats. I don't worry about it, but it's very uncomfortable when I'm lying down, trying to sleep. I know I don't drink enough water. I get urge incontinence so I try to avoid that, doing myself more harm than good, apparently.

I am also aware of the side effects of meds and that's why I'm trying to get off them or cut back. I think there's a difference between taking supplements under the direction of a doctor and just buying them because Dr Oz had them on TV, which is what some people do.

My husband has had kidney stones in the past and still tends to get pain. For a long time, he bought this cranberry juice concentrate at GNC. You diluted it with water, and it was pure cranberry juice, not the cocktail. He said it was nasty, but it helped him. The only pills he will take is bp meds. He refuses all other meds. Won't even get blood work for his cholesterol, although he already had a heart attack and a few stents. He is a doctor's nightmare. I think if it wasn't for me, our doctor would refuse to treat him. They are always going head to head. He said he won't take a statin, so why get cholesterol checked, and I guess I agree with him. He thinks I'm a hypochondriac, always going to the doctor.

I agree with your doctor that PP inhibitors are for short term use. When I worked at Medco, patients were allowed to get a 90 day fill, then a 45 day fill, and that's it. But doctor's would over ride that rule by getting an authorization for a continues prescription. I have a haital hernia but do not take meds. I cut back on foods that trigger gerd and cut back on eating too close to bedtime and have no more gerd. If I can tackle a medical problem with lifestyle change instead of meds, I will do it. I just can't seem to make it work with weight loss, though.

Once you stop taking the Prevacid, will you continue with the marshmallow root and ginger tea?

Mary, they say that you should use treats to teach a dog new habits. Once she knows she will get a treat when she comes back in, she will continue to come back in. This is funny, but we had one dog who would come back in if I asked him if he wanted rigatoni. He never had rigatoni, but he just liked that word I guess. He would come running up to the door! The neighbors probably thought I was crazy.

Sandy, my Black Eyed Susan didn't come back this year. It did that one other year, then the year after that it was back, but then not this year. My cone flowers are still going strong. I love them. I have some day lillies that had big seed pods on them. When my grandson was here, he pulled all the pods off and was hitting them up onto the hill with a badminton racket. Does this mean they will not come back next year? If they don't, I will move some from another area. I have various lilies in 4 different areas of the yard. They are so maintenance free. Maybe they will come back up on the hill where he hit them. LOL

Hi Gayle!! What's new with you? Are you and Steve still following the Dr Fuhrman diet?

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 08-30-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #345  

Quote:
Once you stop taking the Prevacid, will you continue with the marshmallow root and ginger tea?
New doc says I can try to cut out 1 or the other. I will stop prevacid on Tuesday & try staying on both for a couple of days. Then, I will cut out the lemon ginger tea. Just easier to do the marshmallow root. Also, could try just buying lemon ginger tea.

Lynn
Closed Thread