Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Jo, Gail and Aramantha.

Stayed in points. Ordered out for dinner. We had roasted chicken and a baked potato.

I will eat more veggies tomorrow.

Jo What was the decision on the dryer?
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #392  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

PP, you are really going like a house-a-fire. I notice that you only have a few pounds to go until you have less than 100 lbs to go. I started out needing to loose over 70 and now I am down to needing to loose about 25. I am getting kind of tired of all this healthy food, especially since I have been sick. I keep telling myself, "commitment" !!! Not will power, but commitment. I did some of my exercises yesterday. I am weak as the proverbial kitten.

I didn't eat too much today and I wrote it all into FitDay.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #393  

Thanks Gail. I will adjust my goal to lower. I have been obese my whole life and I don't really know how low I can get and then maintain. I will always want to eat healthy foods but want room for a cookie, beer or whatever too.

It is really hard this time of year. I am having cookies pushed at me all over the place.

Going to the pool today. Will check in later.

Have a good day.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #394  
Happy Member

Good Morning -

PP - Oh, yes, this is the time of year when people tend to feel insulted if you won't eat "just one" cookie, or whatever. Just be careful, and enjoy your swim.

Gail - - Cauliflower on the grill sounds mighty good, but then I like cauliflower any way it is presented to me. Usually I just eat it raw from a relish tray.

Amarantha - I think you just enjoy the challenges of cooking. I'm no chef myself, but I do tend to get creative in my cooking at times.

Well, we decided that our aged Maytag dryer is deceased. Actually, for such an aged machine they don't make spare parts any more. So we ordered a new dryer that will be delivered Saturday. No, I don't think we will attach a red bow to the thing and place it under the Christmas tree, we'll just hook it up and start using it. Our old one really served us well, and we will hope for the same service from the new one.

So yesterday we finished up our Christmas shopping, since we were out-and-about in the mall and elsewhere. The mall wasn't crowded at all, and everyone was in a great mood, cheerful and friendly. It was fun, both shoppiking and looking. That'll probably be the final trip to the mall for us, but I am hoping to get to the stores the week after Christmas when everything will be on sale. Let's make today a good one.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #395  

I was posting my long ramble while Jo was posting. Congrats on the new dryer and for being on top of the Christmas season.

Folks have goodies at work, but since I only work two or three days a week, I can avoid a lot of it.

I like raw cauliflower, too. Actually, I like almost all veggies, which is good. I am not crazy about Okra or egg plant. Okra fried in gobs of oil is good, but otherwise...not so much. Eggplant tastes like styrofoam to me unless is is soaked in olive oil.

I can pretty much tell from the way things are going for me now, that I will always have room for a cookie or two, a beverage, or a piece of french bread with butter and garlic. The thing I won't have room for is half a loaf of French bread all at once! I will be able to eat out. Eating out is a fairly infrequent occurrence in my life, so that won't be a problem.

When I get down to the goal weight area, I won't have to be hungry all the time and I will be able to exercise moderately - I won't need to exercise six hours a day to maintain. These are facts. The problem is my head is full of things that aren't facts. I am not exactly a binge eater, but I do eat to soothe myself. I eat because I am happy about life, I eat because I am anxious about something and I eat mindlessly.

It is going to be the myriad of small choices I make every single day that determine my success or failure. The words are simple but the "doing" is huge.

I have adjusted my weight goal up a little bit. I want to be just low enough to fall into the "healthy weight" category. I think I will look better as far as my skin goes. I have a friend that lost down to what she was as a young woman, and she was totally wrinkled like a prune. She has gained a little back now and looks much better. She has done really well, keeping most of her weight off for more than 5 years.

The skin on my thighs looks like crepe paper. LOL. To put things in perspective, my blood pressure is much improved and I am pleased to be healthier.

This morning I weigh 160! Just one more pound until 159. I can do it!

Last edited by gailr42; 12-19-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add reply
Old 12-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #396  
Empress/Queen

Hi, all! I am very tired for some reason so this is just a flyby because if I don't take a nap I will start eating & have already gone a little high. Really trying this week, feeling unsettled lol & that leads to extra calories.

I like cauliflower raw, too. My mom used to make pickles with it.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #397  

Am2, I hope you aren't getting sick. I can remember my parents eating some kind of pickle stuff that included cauliflower. I wonder what it was.

I just came in from walking 30 minutes. It is cold and sunny out and I still don't feel 100% OK, so I decided 30 minutes was enough. Every little bit helps, I hope anyway.

I think for lunch I am going to have a can of Progresso soup with extra veggies added. I find the soup to be quite filling. The label says there are two servings per can, but I eat the whole thing for 140 calories.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #398  
Happy Member

Good Afternoon -

Gail - Hope you get yourself back to being 100% soon. Christmas is a-coming you know. I don't remember cauliflower, or broccoli for that matter, in my youth. I do remember cabbage though, and we ate a lot of that. I do still like cabbage, but not as well as some other veggies. Okra, I can't remember that, and it certainly isn't one of my favorites either but that is possibly that I don't know how to cook it correctly. I actually grew eggplant in our little garden a few years ago, and it went well in some veggie casseroles. I love Progresso Soups, we have them often.

Amarantha - I don't think I have ever met pickled cauliflower, but back in the day when I cooked a lot and did quite a bit of canning, I did make pickled beets, and they were good. I can see where pickled cauliflower would be good, too. Hope you have perked up and are feeling better today.

PP - I did some adjusting of my weight loss goal on my journey. I think most of us do. Just keep doing what you are doing, and stick to your program.

The little group from our parochial school came this morning to sing Christmas carols for us. It was very nice. It was a smallish group - 5 boys and 2 girls with a teacher and an aide. They were probably in the 7th and 8th grades. After they sang, they got to visit the model railroad that Bob has in the basement, which was a treat for them. They were all very well behaved. I had a little goodie sack for each of them, and I got a hug and a "Merry Christmas" as they left. Of course we see most of them each Sunday morning at church, so it was just a pleasant visit. They indicated that they wanted to come back and see the trains again, so may they will come with some Easter carols in the spring. That'll be nice.

It's terribly windy here today, but no snow. I guess the eastern part of the country is getting all the snow today, and here we sit, really needing the moisture.

That's my update, hope everyone is doing OK.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #399  

Jo That sounds very sweet that you had carolers.

Amarantha I hope you got some rest.

Gail I could not imagine eating only half a can of soup. I like progresso soups too.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #400  
Empress/Queen

Hi, all! No, not getting sick, lol, not exactly perky, not sure exactly why I feel so tired and kind of blah, not negative or sad, just blah.

JoJo, I've never had pickled beets, in fact rarely eat beets. I think they are okay roasted with other root vegetables but otherwise, not a beet fan. Too red lol.

It is windy and cold here, too, or it was. The temp was 34 at 5 a.m., which is very cold to us. It is 57 now and should reach the comfy 70s again in a few days.

Gail, I wish I had some of that soup. Hope you are 100 percent soon. Good for you for adjusting your weight goal. I am always tinkering with mine.

We are all bodybuilders here, really, we work on our bodies so that they serve and please us and that takes constant attention.

Speaking of bodybuilding, I am on a quest to get to the 120s by the end of the year. I don't think it will happen, but I certainly feel very lean since I started the 10,000 (plus, I usually do 10,000-13,000, plus weights 2-3 times per week and some aerobic DVDs I have 2-3 times per week in addition). I am upping steps just this week to see if it has any effect.

It is really amazing to count steps. When I was doing my streakity streaks (which I'm still on as I have not skipped a day of exercise for a very long time), I was taking long walks or jogging but was somehow not putting in as many steps as I now am putting in during the same time period and that has made a big difference in my metabolism. I hope it is enough for my loss this week but we'll see. It could well go the other way lol.

Good night, all!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #401  
Empress/Queen

Plucky Pear, I did not see you there! Huzzah! I did get some rest. Thanks!

We were posting at the same time!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #402  

Quote:
That's where the disconnect comes in - and it's all because we are human and we like to eat.
I haven't read this whole thread but I will. I am almost 64, lost 40lb and kept it off for about 4 yr. but lately gained a little. I now need to lose another 40.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #403  
Happy Member

Good Morning -

Welcome, carolr3639 - Always happy to have someone join our little group. Feel free to chime in at any time. Yes, it's the keeping the lost weight off that is so often the problem, especially as we age.

Amarantha - I used to grow beets, and have made many a pickled beet. Actually pickled beets have sugar in them, so now I have to avoid them, but they do look attractive on a relish tray. Maybe they are an acquired taste.
As for you, keep on counting up those steps, that'll get you to where you are going.

Gail - Glad you are able to be back to your walking routine. And it's nice that you live where you can do that walking pretty much year-round. Keep at it.

PP - Enjoy your swim today.

It's still windy here, but we did make it to the grocery store, probably I have enough groceries for next week. We don't have a really complicated Christmas feast these days, I am still willing and able to do a Christmas Brunch, which will have a sufficiency of tasty food, and the fellowship will be great.

This is such a fun time of year.

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 12-21-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #404  

Quote:
I did write the story of my life recently,
Wow, I love those kinds of stories.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #405  

I haven't read everything yet but I do Walk Away The Pounds dvds and they are great. Like right now we have a foot of snow and I can still exercise.

Last edited by carolr3639; 12-21-2012 at 12:33 PM.