Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby. Just wanted to say the challenge has really helped me stay on track. Haven't exercised everyday, but almost. Everything else has been right on.

Drs appt went great for me. My A1c shows my BS to be 6.2 the normal range. My BP is normal and the doctor said I had lost 3 lbs since my last appt. We discussed my calories and he approves of me eating 1200 to 1400 calories instead of his suggested 1800. I don't have to go back to see him for 3 months.

Tony's problems with running to the potty all the time is caused by Metformin so the doc gave him a new prescription for another medicine. A lot of his numbers were off a bit and that is probably because he was probably dehydrated the day he had blood work because of the diarrhea. He goes back in a month.

Overall, I am pleased with our results.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #32  
GmaTo8

A flyby here, too, just to say hello and that I hope you all have had a good weekend. We had grands today and yesterday, and they wore me out.

TTFN,
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #33  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! Hope you had a nice Sunday. It was pleasantly cool and drizzled some but not too bad. We went to church, then to Costco to get the tires worked on and ate lunch there. Not good as I ate too much and got too many calories and carbs. Hope I can be really really good tonight.

Patty - congrats on the good doctor visit. So far I have stayed in the 6s on my A1c but last time it was the highest I've been...6.8 but I know it was just because I wasn't being diligent on my diet. He kinda threatened me with having to take Byetta. I'm already taking Metformin and I really don't want to have to inject myself, so I hope I will have a lower number the next time I go in. At this point, I know it is just my eating cause when I eat right, my bs are usually good.

Been shopping all afternoon and am tired now. Have a good evening.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 220/204/150

Height: 5'7"

Default I'm back

Hello,

Been missing in action for a while. Hope you all have been doing okay.

Was busy with work and garden chores.

I found out that my thyroid is all out of whack. At first I was glad because I thought I would start losing weight once I was diagnosed; if anything I have been gaining weight. At least I don't have that horrible fatigue anymore so I'm trying to exercise.

We are having 90+ degree weather, but the garden is just about done. So I've been thinking of trying needle punch again-I got interested in it about 30 years ago. I looked for my needles, but everyone of them had the screws missing so I have to get the basics again. They probably have better needles/tools now anyway. I know some of you are crafters; did you ever do needle punch? It's probably too easy for you all.

If I get the hang of it, that's what my family is getting for Christmas-LOL

Doris
MaezieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #35  

Doris, I don't think I know you but welcome back!! Please forgive me if we have chatted before and I have forgotten. It isn't quite that warm here but suppose to get into the 80s I hear the next few days.

Today was warm but pleasant and I kept busy. I haven't had my carpets cleaned for a while and my youngest gc are coming Wed and I don't like them on my dirty carpet, so I got down and gave it a good scrubbing...the family room and hall. Not perfect but looks better.

Besides the usual daily stuff, I vacuumed 1/2 the house and the upholstered furniture in the family room. Pretty quick job but I hate that job so do it as little and quickly as I can....the furniture I mean. then I cleaned our new patio glass door inside and out. It looks so pretty...gave the other glass in the famly room some quick wipes too while I was at it. I found some more curtain hooks and made the curtain on the patio door look a little better but I am still missing some hooks. May just have to buy more.
Can't figure out what happen to them. I notice there are some missing on the living room draperies too.

Then outside, I watered the cucumbers and some flowers. The other plants got it Saturday plus it rained yesterday some. Oh and I took some things out to the RV...two trips. So not a lot of work but with the heat it seemed like more.

I put my dh to work ...actually he wanted to do it and just asked for my approval...he thinks I'm too protective of him. Anyway he sprayed all the moss in the front yard with moss killer and will do the backyard tomorrow. Now he wants to rake the part of the front yard where the tree fell and plant new grass seed. I insist on helping him with that so we will try and do it tomorrow.

I probably am too protective of him but I worry he might fall and refracture his leg. I want him to heal and get completely back to normal! But he is doing a lot in PT now...regular strengthening exercises, leg pushes (machine), the bike, steps and now squats. When he does the squats he holds onto a chair and the therapist stands right beside him. His sessions are getting longer with all this plus the heat/cold pack and ultra sound treatment. He's there 2-2 1/2 hrs I'd say. At first he got really tired when they increased it but not so much now. On days with no PT he does the exercises here at home. So he is growing in strength daily it seems. I will have to let him go soon. We are thinking of taking a day trip so he can try longer driving in preparation for our winter trip (in case he feels he can do it). It will be in the car and I can help drive if needed. I want to be sure he is ready for a day long drive before we leave for our winter trip as I don't pull the trailer or park it or anything. It's all on him. He already has our reservations but he as promised if he has any doubts he will cancel. So I think a practice trip or two even in the car will help us know more.

Last edited by maryea; 09-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #36  
GmaTo8

Welcome back, Doris!! You were missed!!

A big hello to everyone else.

I spent most of the day out of town, with Madison in the hospital, while Mary had a break to run errands, etc. Poor child has had the flu, and got severely dehydrated! Just got a call a few minutes ago, saying she's being released. YAY!

I'm behind on everything, so must run. Toodles for now!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning, its been busy here too, getting the place cleaned up some for the hayride we have every year. I am fighting off a cold, along with my pulled muscle-my leg is feeling better, I am hoping in another week I can go back to walking in mornings.
Yesterday I went with my dil to take the babies for checkups with the new pediatrician, she was great (the dr), and the kids are doing fine, the new born (9/12) gained a pound in just over 2 weeks and the 2 yr old is good too, she is showed up short on the scale, but her mom is only 5' 2", so she will take after her and I think the baby is going to take after his daddy, who is over 6'.
Glad that Madison is out of the hospital.
Gotta run to the store to get some ingredients to bake for the farmer's mkt on Sat. hope the weather is not what they are predicting, the cold is ok, but no rain please!
Have a great day all. Pam
Pamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #38  

Just a quick flyby to say hello and I'm still around.

Welcome back Doris I'm sure I know you but can't remember... just me. Look forward to getting to know you again.

I'm not around much lately because so busy and it promises to be even more busy. Another class being added for ladies at church besides the small groups we go to on Sunday night and the BSF class I attend on Wednesday morning. At the same time, I'm working at tweaking my diet with a little more carbs so I can get more fiber into my eating plan and still stay within my 1200 - 1400 calories each day.

Jane I was wondering how Madi is doing, glad she going to get to go home.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #39  
GmaTo8

Welcome, October!

Old 10-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #40  

OCTOBER, YES!!! We are finally having terrific weather but cool enough that we have the door and windows open with fresh air coming in sooooo very, very nice.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #41  
HelenMay

S/C/G: 159/145/130

Height: 5'1"

Well September ended on a rather bad note for me. DS was diagnosed with a learning disability - it is not your everday ADD/ADHD but a "rare" visual/spatial issue. Shocking when one considers that my son is an athlete and has not only played but excelled at sports from the time he was 4.

The way it manifests is that he can`t draw - AT ALL - but neither can DH or I and we always said that he didn`t get the art gene from us. But the MD who did the testing tell us that he cannot manipulate visual spatial information. An example is that he can`t comprehend any sort of graphs (although I did enlarge some graph paper for him and that seemed to help somewhat).

He has to be tested again for something called Disorder of Written Expression. He has tremendous difficulty writing essays. He seems to be only able to string about 3 or 4 sentences together before the writing is not longer cohesive.

Of course this comes at a lousy time for him at 16 when we are doing so much college prep.

Thankfully, he excels at debating and performing verbally. Good thing he wants to go into radio/TV announcing. He`s a good looking kid, with a great set of social skills and many friends and because we have traveled and lived a somewhat international life, he`s quite sophisticated.

But as mom, it`s breaking my heart to see him struggle at 16 with being told he has a "disorder" or "disability" - it`s that "dis" part that has him walking around calling himself "a ******". Please don`t take offense that I am using this word. These are the words of a 16 year old and I am trying to convey how he feels about himself after hearing this.

Anyway this is part of the reason I totally fell off the wagon toward the end of the Sept challenge but I couldn`t focus on my diet. I was up all last week meeting with his teachers.

I am in the Carribbean at the moment (we have a condo here which we have decided to rent and I have come here a week earlier to have some work done, then at the end of the week, DS and DH will join me for the autumn break, so next week I might not be in so much control as this week.

I`m glad I am alone this week. I want to get all my tearfulness out this week before the family arrives. I just feel so grief stricken. It`s such a heartache when your children are hurting or hurt in any way. I think there is no greater pain for a mother.
HelenMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #42  
GmaTo8

Helen - I've often said that a mother can be only as happy as her least happy child. I'm so sorry your son and you are going through this. (btw, I didn't delete the word, the sensor automatically deletes certain words.) Please come here and vent whenever you need to.

Everyone else - I have a busy week but will check in when I can. Enjoy the fall weather, and stay OP!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #43  

Helen So sorry you and your son are going through this. Tony has a grandson who had some problems, but when Tony and I married and I was told about him; I stressed that we needed to encourage him to do the things he was interested in. He is doing great now works and looking forward to college. Of course, the difference is that he grew up knowing the problem. I'm sure it is devastating for your son to learn of this at 16. Tony (DH) also just told me about a nephew of his 1st wife that had something similar to what your son is going through. He now works for a tv station. Once you have processed all your feelings, I would suggest that you help him focus on the things that he is good at rather than the things he can't. Hope you don't mind I shared this with my hubby. He said that the brain is a strange thing because we only use a small part of it and given time, it could correct itself. Not saying it will, but the possibility is always there. That is why I think it is so important to focus on the things your son can do, because it will also releave some of the stress he probably feels. Will keep y'all in my prayers.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 AM   #44  

These are busy days and it seems like the days, weeks and months are flying by. Soon it will be the holidays again and the end of the year!

I didn't get much done here at home today. I brought in some more tomatoes and sprayed a few weeds plus what daily work I just had to do in the house. Otherwise I spent the day grocery shopping. Went to 3 different stores. Had lunch while out.

Then home to rest a bit and fix dinner and watched TV.

Helen sorry to hear about your son's problems. There's always something with children and we suffer along with them, don't we..

Last edited by maryea; 10-05-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #45  
GmaTo8

Just a pop-in to say hello! I've been redecorating my kitchen, and all my spare time has gone towards that. It's almost finished! This weekend will be very busy. I hope you have a great one!