Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #1  

Arrow Going 30-days Binge Free!

Hi All!

I am recovering from binge-eating disorder and this is my SECOND day binge-free. I've got to start somewhere.

I have all this on another blog but I don't want to self-promote, so I'm posting some thoughts from there here. I'm just looking for some support from people who are going through what I am, or for any advice they might have. Anything is appreciated.

I developed binge eating disorder three years ago, after spending all of high school obsessing with staying skinny. The past three years, flying wildly between self-starvation to gorging myself and gaining weight, and self-hate to self-compassion, have been a whirlwind of my emotions. Tears, frustration, anger, hatred, and obsession have gotten the better of me on countless occasions.

However, I am determined to live my life to the fullest. I refuse – I repeat, REFUSE - to allow anything to get in the way of this. All I’ve been through I’ve done almost entirely alone (with a couple failed attempts with a therapist, and a few close friends who’ve compassionately listened to my struggle). When I have binged, it cripples me; it destroys my happiness.

I’m going public here because part of me is scared. Part of me is absolutely terrified to the bones of giving up binge eating. Eating has been my sedative that numbs me and comforts me when life is hard, even though I know that it destroys me at the same time. A very primal urge wants me to keep binge eating. But I know that the feelings of eating until I can’t move brings worse evils. I’ve felt the deepest despair and hopelessness. I’ve felt absolute hatred for myself and even for people I love. I’ve felt unending sadness and worthlessness.

When I have been binge-free for extended periods of time, for whatever reason, I know that the happiness it brings is worth literally any amount of trouble, pain, time, and effort. I know that I must give up the habit I have developed to free myself from these bonds and experience peace of mind.

I know that the time for this to end – PERMANENTLY, and forever – is now. I know this is the most important thing I need to do for my happiness.

Of course, I never want to binge again, ever. To begin smaller, I’m starting off by declaring 30 days binge free. I’ve finished two out of thirty so far. I am determined, with every cell of my being, to overcome this bad habit that has become the sole obstacle to my happiness. I am determined, and NOTHING will break me.

Yesterday, for some reason, was easy. And today was hard. Today was really hard. I almost broke. But the key here is almost - I didn't give in. I'm going to stick this through, and never binge eat again. Here's to day three, tomorrow!

<3
flyinglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Congratulations! As a fellow binger I do understand exactly how hard going binge free for even 1 day (1 hour, sometimes 1 minute!) can be.

You can do it!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #3  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Congrats
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138.6/122.4/120

Height: 5ft 5"

well done :-) iv done 8 days now binge free but really struggled today but i didn give in and had fruit and rice cakes instead-as i have been healthy this week i lost 8.6lbs and 1 and 1/2 inches off my waist-got a way to go stll but hopin im now on right track-good luck for rest of your journey :-)
LittleMissNiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 176.4/176.4/140.0

Height: 5'5"

You're so brave, best wishes for you and your recovery.
GeminiAndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #6  

I have a problem with binge eating as well and I am having a tough time fixing it!! Any suggestions??
Clara411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 203/172/153

Height: 5"3

You're scared of the unknown - its scary but you won't regret it. Good luck.
mynameisyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217.6/153.2/140

Height: 5'5

I'm on this path right now too, and would really love to join and support each other. Today will be day 1 for me, which I want to say is sad but at least I am trying again. We got this!!
xRiotGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #9  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/251/150

Height: 5'2 1/2

Congrats!!!!
Terra84 is offline   Reply With Quote