Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Annie-there are a variety of opinions about how much protien you should eat. Kathi is right, that is the RDA recommendation, but those recommendations are based on how much you need to avoid nutritional deficiency diseases, not how much you need for ideal health. Protein is required for virtual every biological process in the body. I aim for about 100 grams per day. It also makes you feel full-try it. Try having an omelet for breakfast instead of cereal and see what a difference it makes.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #47  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Thank you slroth! I'm having my reproductive system removed
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Well, yesterdays tests were mentally and physically exhausting. MRI, 2 full sets of mammograms on different machines (1 is experimental), some electricity wave thing, the CT cone imaging thing, and ultrasound. It was 4 hours, pretty much nonstop. The good news is that the MRI, mammo, and ultrasound all showed nothing, so that is a huge relief. And, today I did the gyno stuff and got my surgery scheduled - 4/26 - ack! It's a little sooner than I expected, so let the scramble begin!

GREAT news, what a relief!

And personally, I think it will be just as well to have the surgery soon and get it over with. Even if it's a mad scramble to get ready, it keeps you busy. Before one of my operations, I went out and bought a car - talk about overdoing the shopping for distraction thing! lol! You'll be done and home and on your way to feeling good by Mother's Day so you can enjoy it, instead of either going through the surgery right then or still have it hanging over your head.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #49  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

Height: 5'9"

petra - I can only imagine how much paperwork and red tape you have to wade through. Hopefully things will ease up for you soon.

new leaf - I will be keeping you in my good thoughts and prayers.

slroth - I am allowed to get back on my plan starting today!

So, I am allowed to get back on plan, I weighed in at 216 this morning and that is okay....a gain of 14 over the past month really is not so bad. I have lots of good healthy food in the house and will be getting some more this weekend. I will also be seeing my granddaughter, Hayden, she is staying here this weekend.

Speaking of Hayden, she is doing so well. Very healthy and happy and getting along great with the other kids in her daycare. She is talking a lot and has so much bubbly giggly energy. She was here last weekend and my son was napping on the couch....I said come on Hayden lets wake daddy up....so we woke up her daddy/Hunter, he sat up, and Hayden very gently picked up his glasses and handed them to him, "see see dada see see dada". She is so damn cute.
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

re: protein

I think it depends to some extent on how much you eat, but personally, 55 gr seems pretty low to me unless you are eating a very low calorie diet.

I'm averaging just under 1400 calories a day, and about 88 gr of protein. My percentages 47 carb, 25 protein and 28 fat (which I try to get primarily from healthy sources like avocado, nuts, olive oil, salmon, etc)

If you were feeling great, I'd say don't worry about it too much, but since you are feeling fatigued, I'd definitely try tweaking things around to see what happens.

And this is personal preference on whether it's something you eat, but a lot of people I know feel better when they have red meat sometimes - not all the time, but a lot of people avoid it completely. So if it's something you like but haven't been having, you might want to treat yourself to a nice steak!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Busy day here! We are getting April showers here, supposed to rain most of the weekend. I'll deal with the lawncare whenever possible. Fiance said he would bring his mower in and mow it, but not sure when it is going to be dry enough. Life will go on...Plan to spend weekend out at fiance's and veg a little bit.

Thanks for all the info on protein. I added up all of my calories and protein for yesterday. The calories came to 1250-1300, along with the 62 grams of protein (I forgot to add in something). I had hoped to do all of this without having to start calculating things and blah blah blah.....but I do want to stay healthy and feeling good...that is one of my goals after all.

I may have to try substituting an Egg Beaters omelet for my oatmeal every other day or so. I also packed some fat free cottage cheese for a snack (w/ banana sliced into it) later this afternoon.

Heidi-Glad you at least know a timetable for your surgery now. How long will you have to be off of work/out of commision?

Have a lovely day everyone!

P.S. I will say that I have been getting up an hour earlier daily to exercise, but not always getting to bed one hour earlier. That could be catching up with me and making me feel tired. I've always had trouble getting to bed early, I love staying up late.

P.S.S.-I don't have a problem with red meat, I just try not to have too much of it. I might try a steak this weekend.

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 04-16-2010 at 12:35 PM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 207/175/170

Height: 5' 9"

I haven't checked in for a while! You are all amazing at keeing in touch with each other. There's no way I can match that . New Leaf - I'll be thinking of your surgery and praying everything goes well. Annie - feeling a lack of energy could definitely be not getting enough protein. Are you taking any vitamins? Iron?

April has been a good month for me - not so much in weight lost, because I really haven't lost much so far this month, but from a total health perspective. I got the results from my thyroid recheck and the numbers are spot on! Then I had my yearly gyn physical yesterday and my doc was really excited about my weight loss. My lab results there were good too - cholesterol - 160; hemoglobin 14.5; Blood Pressure 110/64; blood sugar 84 - 2 hours after eating lunch. So, I feel like I'm really healthy and that's exciting. I've still got a ways to go with the whole weight loss journey, but I'm doing it in a healthy way and that is one of my goals. I upped my exercise this week and know that, all things considered, I'm in a much better place than I was at the beginning of 2010.
lolajean624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #53  
Kim

S/C/G: 256/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

LolaJean - Yeah for good thyroid numbers!!!!

Annie - Sorry to hear about the lawn mower woes.

Peanut - Glad to see you and hear you are feeling better.

Hydra - Yeah! for being able to get back on plan.

Heidi - Good luck with the surgery. Do you think they would give us a group discount?

Becky - I feel your pain. I hope your day was better today.

Sue - Thanks for asking about the doc.

Yes, I went to the doctor today. Since it's a new doc we had to go through all the "what all is wrong with you stuff" Luckily I was prepared with food and exercise logs, a list of all medication and vitamin supplements my list of issues and how long they have been going on. He was impressed. I told him I wanted answers.

So he took a plethora of bloodwork, a chest xray ( apparently night sweats can also be TB, Oh Joy! Oh Rapture!) and urine sample. I'll be out of town next week so I'm sure he won't call about anything until I'm in Georgia.

Good news I did get... I've lost another pound according to their scale. and my blood pressure was spot on perfect.

Hope ya'll have a terrific day.

Cheers
Kim
Wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 106.8/93.8/65kg

Height: 169cm

Helllooo

Work has been crazy lately - I've been flat out like a lizard drinking! The last thing I've wanted to do when I get home is sit in front of a computer screen so I haven't checked in for a couple of days. So, this is going to be a mega post catching up with everyone! Eating has been OK, although I have had a glass of wine on a couple of evenings - mainly to chillax! I haven't managed to get back to the pool grrrr. Thanks for all your advice on planning the meal before going out to eat - that's a good strategy! I tend to get swayed by all the tempting menu choices and what other people are having!

lambchop - you're so right - we get so caught up with the number on the scales. Sometimes the number on the measuring tape is much more reliable.

Hydra - hope you are enjoying delving into your artistic abilities! All the best for your return to work.

petra - ack - if the US health system is anything like here, your job by itself would be uber busy, let alone backfilling for someone else while doing your own job. I hope the situation is resolved pronto and you are able to get your paperwork done, and have the workload shared a bit more evenly.

newleaf - so many tests - very overwhelming - such a relief to see they showed nothing sinister is there. Also good that you don't have to wait too long for your surgery. I hope your recovery goes well.

Wizzie - I've been lucky to go to Tassie a few times - it's stunning! It's a foodies' paradise, and great wineries too! Also lots of outdoorsy activities like bushwalking, sea kayaking etc. Sorry to hear you are feeling such low energy - your're doing well to keep with your eating plan. Hope you get some answers out of all your tests.

ICUwishing - hope your swimming training is going well! Not long until May - did you need a reminder??!!

Onmyway - hope you are well on the road to recovery by now. No tax refund is no good, but even worse is having to pay back extra tax!!

PeanutsMom - I hope you are feeling much better too!

WLW - the butterfly centre sounds gorgeous! Be proud of your 10lb - it's better gone than on!

slroth - I think it's recommended to have "BPA free" plastic bottles. Kathmandu is a popular brand here for all types of outdoorsy things. Hope you are having a good weekend with your friend - and hope you don't undo all your hard work!

Annie - I hear you on getting undone by the little things - I think our lives are so busy that it doesn't take much to completely throw us off track. As they say "don't sweat the small stuff..." RE protein - to me (and I'm no expert!), 55g seems a small amount. The diet I follow recommends 120g of protein for women. Also, one thing I've learned is if I'm being consistent with my exercise, I seem to need a little extra protein to help with appetite and to keep me on plan.

angelskeep - I see you are still busy with your super spring clean!

lolajean - nice to *meet* you. All your test results sound positive - it's good to have scientific proof that you have a healthy lifestyle.

Bye for now!
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #55  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

Annie: because I'm prediabetic the nutritionist recommended adding a protein to every meal/snack. I do oatmeal with ground flax most mornings and eat a low-fat cheese stick (string or cheddar) or I scramble an egg white or 2 into my oatmeal. another option when I don't feel like fixing oatmeal is 1-2 slices of high fiber bread with peanut butter. my mid-morning snack is lowfat cottage cheese with a small amount of fresh fruit. heidi and some of the other ladies have different smoothies they make using protein powders...

My vacation is almost at an end : ( today I went a little crazy food-wise but got in a bunch of walking. bought a gorgeous dress at lane bryant (off the clearance rack!) and a new exercise outfit. my visits to tx never last long enough! I hope everyone had a great week, and that y'all have a wonderful weekend : )
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 220/214/170

Height: 5' 5"

Heidi—Your surgery doesn't sound like fun (does any?). I hope it goes well and you find a way to enjoy your down time. Read a lot and let people take care of you!

Hydra—I'm glad you can get back on your plan now. Enjoy healthful eating and exercise.

AnnieDrews—that extra hour of sleep might be it. I hope this weekend you have time for extra sleep and you can see if that solves the problem.

lolajean—great report from the doc. Congrats. Keep up the good work.

Wizzie—good job on the extra pound and the bp. Let us know when the blood work is in.

Kathi—I'm glad you enjoyed your vacation...they are never long enough, are they?

Koala—I hope you get back in the pool soon! It will make you feel better...as the nike ad says, just do it.

My mini vacation was delightful. One night away...I still walked, took my vitamins, and drank my water. My eating was a bit high...Mexican restaurant and margaritas...but it wasn't as bad I usual, just remembering how hard I worked these past weeks. So I'm happy with my choices. Fun food, but not too too much. Heading out for a walk now.

Sue
slroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I think things are going to get better. Not sure anyone except maybe Annie will be able to relate to this but I had 95 discharge summaries to do. I did a bunch and I gave some to the nurse practitioner to do and I'm down to about 50 now which is still a lot but we are getting there.

I'm trying not to overload myself on my weekends but I'm going to the grocery store and plan to work out in my yard today. Also want to work on my trip planning I'm trying to hire someone to help me with some stuff around my house. I'm finding I can't handle it all anymore and study for this test and have any time to myself. It's gotten totally out of control. I interviewed someone last night. I need to check references. She seems okay-not a great fit personality wise but I think she would do a good job.

Have a good weekend everyone.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 182/152/125

Height: 5' 2"

Popping in to say Hi at the end of the week here. I usually only post in the challenges, but thought it was time to get more accountability and get to know some more 40's friends. I was gung ho last summer and then school started(I teach Special Ed) and then the holidays came and my excuses need to stop! It is spring, summer is coming, my 20th wedding anniversary is coming, and yucko my 25th HS reunion is coming! I have lost 2lbs in the last 2 months and I am going to focus on exercise consistency.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!
sukierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Everyone-yes, I have been busting my backside doing spring cleaning stuff still. Redoing a section of yard yesterday today and likely tomorrow. Still working on the inside of the house, and all worn out! My body aches all over, so though I have done no *exercise* proper, there is no doubt in my mind that I've been active. I even let the rototiller drag me through a small part of the yard yesterday. That goes on the list of "what was I thinking???"

Annie-My doc told me to take vit. D for more energy. That was pre-plan days and now I take a multi every day. Red meat is an iron source and also has something in it that you can't get elsewhere...called the "meat factor" as of 30-ish years ago...not sure if it makes any difference in energy.

My first guests for the season now are here next weekend. It's usually late May early June. Gonna be a busy year, maybe.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #60  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Petra, Hiring someone to help sounds like a great idea. Hope the person you interviewed works out!

Annie, I agree with Petra. I eat and egg for breakfast almost every day. Sometime I do peanut butter on toast. I find starting my day with some sort of protein stays with me longer and I don’t snack before lunch.

WLW, Sounds like you have had a great trip. Take a picture in that new dress for us!

Heidi, 4/26 will be here before you know it. Do you have family close by that can help with your boys? Glad to hear your MRI, mammo and ultrasound were all clear! That certainly is good news!

Slroth, I would count those first few pounds! You’ve worked hard for them. Sounds like a nice getaway!

Peanutsmom, Glad you are starting to feel better. How are things with your don these days?

Hydra, I’m glad the Dr. has given you the go ahead to get back on plan. You did it before, you can do it again! Enjoy your granddaughter, she is a cutie!

Lolajean, Good lab results are just as important as pounds lost. Keep up the good work!

Wizzie, Wow! You were certainly prepared for your appointment! Hope you get some good test results! Congrats on losing another pound!

Koala, Great post! It’s not always easy catching up after being away! “chillax” made me smile, my daughter who is 11 uses that word a lot!

Sukie, I think I remember you from last summer. Good to have you join our group. I work as an assistant in a Special Ed preschool classroom.

Angelskeep, I have visions of you being dragged along by the roto tiller! I’d definitely consider that a workout!

ICU, Saw on Facebook that you had a great meet! Way to go!

DD is in a swim meet this weekend. Spent Friday night and most of today standing since I was a timer. She swims tomorrow too. DS got our garden ready today. We planted several varieties of tomatoes, red and green peppers, banana peppers and jalapenos. I’m still down from earlier this week so I’m changing my ticker! 10 pounds to go before my big vacation in 9 weeks. I'm really thinking I can do this!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Last edited by Onmyway; 04-17-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote