Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 AM   #1  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Default 40 Somethings - Week of March 29th Chat

WOW can you believe it's the end of March? Although last week crawled by the month flew.

Up early and ready to roll. Still doing the treadmill but hope that next week I'll be ready to take my run on the road.

Got the rest of our yard/pool stuff done. Covered the pool yesterday, water temp was 62 hopefully it will be in the mid to upper 70's by next weekend so the pups can swim. It will be at least a month before I get in. I like the temperature up in the 80's.

Hope everyone has a GREAT day. I'll be back later for personals.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #2  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

You're right Cruise, March went by way too quickly!

Looks like the sun will be out today, my daffodils are blooming away, I'm expecting a great day!

Hope everyone has a terrific Monday!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #3  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I saw a tree in full bloom yesterday, my first this season! Hopefully it's a harbinger of good things.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Good morning ladies.

CAT-Congrats on the yardwork. If you'd like, you can come and do mine. We can't even safely plant stuff here until Mother's Day, so we'll just keep working on inside stuff for now and then start tidying the yard in a cou[le of weeks. Have some ldnscaping to do over the course of the next few months. I need to get some herbs going so I can use 'em for cooking.

OMW-Lucky you with daffodils!

Heidi-Full bloom already? Wow! I miss the earlier flower stuff. We're so far north and west that it just takes forever for plants to bloom. My peonies will bloom in June sometime and they are the earlier plants 9in the yard right now. In Denver they bloomed in April.

I am working on my first cuppa. Supposed to be windy today, so will walk around doing errands instead of riding the bicycle.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Wow, you guys were busy over the weekend while I was away! I made it there and back in one piece and the lecture went well or so I am told. I was a nervous wreck.

I got lost on the way down-I have no sense of direction and even got lost with my GPS-that's a talent I drove 50 miles out of my way.

I found out how easy it could be to lose my fitbit-I almost lost it on Sat while I was shopping. It fell into one of my shopping bags and I spent about a half hour walking all over the parking lot looking for it. Great outlet shopping down there.

Some terrible eating this weekend-so bad I'm not going to go there but the good news is, I didn't gain anything. I guess I was active enough to compensate. I think I'm going to go back to the more restrictive version of my eating plan for a few days to try to get back on track-less fruit, no wine, etc.

A couple interesting things from the conference. One of the lectures was on weight loss surgery-we have a bariatric surgeon who works at our hospital. I have considered it-I've been to the info session. My insurance won't pay for me to have the surgery until 2011 and even then I have to go through a 6 month supervised diet program. They make you jump through a lot of hoops. I figured it I had to wait that long, I may as well do it myself. In fact, if I lose enough to get off my blood pressure meds, I won't qualify anymore. Anyway, there is a new procedure that looks very intriguing called gastric sleeve where they basically remove half your stomach-cutting along the side like a banana. It appears to have the fewest complications because it doesn't really alter the GI tract. Seems counterintuitive since it removes a big hunk of tissue. At any rate, if I decide to do this, I might do that instead of a band which is what I was considering before. He commented quite a bit about how he doesn't understand the psychological factors about this problem. I remain absolutely convinced that obesity is a substance abuse disorder. And this is also why we aren't making much progress in helping people with it-no one wants to think about it this way-not patients or health care providers.

A family doctor yesterday gave a lecture called "things I wish I knew last year". One of his little pearls was about how much diet can actually improve people's health and one of his slides actually was about the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet. Woohoo!! Something I knew and was why I made this particular choice.

Marie-love the new avatar
Countryhomeschoolin-how about goat and pigeon. I have a rabbit in the freezer too but haven't gotten to it yet.
Annie-recognizing that you can't eat "like other people" if you want to be healthy is a major breakthrough. Congratulations. I have a secret for you. They aren't healthy if they eat like that either-they may not gain weight like you but that stuff is still poison (and I'm not talking about it coming from drug reps here).

I'm not in the mood to go back to work today but I must, oh well. More later.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #6  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...d-smoking.html

Petra, saw this today, thought of it on your comment...i agree with you on my front, that's what it is, substance abuse (others it may not be) - but i've used it in place of other drugs to get similar results....
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #7  
Deb

we'll hit the 70's again this weekend..with sun..i can't wait..it's all gloomy here

Heidi- we have a cherry blossom tree in our front yard, so when it goes into full bloom - it's amazing, but hasn't done it yet...think i have the full bloom/2 weeks later pics online..brb to look
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #8  
Deb

pics taken 2 weeks apart, all flowers, then they're gone, just like that!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Petra-Glad you made it back safe and sound and not a signle p0und heavier. Surgery is scary. We are similar weight/height/lost/goal. IMHO, you could do it without the surgery..we can be loser twins if'n ya wanna!

Lambchop-Gorgeous tree pic! We'll have lilacs all over town here eventually...like July...well, maybe sooner than that.

UGH! I just looked at the weather report for the week. Even on the warmer days, lots and lots of wind. I will be doing laps around walmart or something. I need to exercise or I will not lose any weight this week :-(

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #10  
Heidi

LambChop that's so pretty!

I haven't gone back and read what I missed at the end of last week, but I did see your question, WeightLossWanted. It's funny. It never even occurred to me to exercise while talking to my mother. A few reasons why: (1) conversations with my mother usually average 7 minutes, literally. So the fact that this went on for an hour was jaw dropping and unexpected. (2) I'm not sure that the phones get reception in the basement, will have to check that. (3) when I'm talking on the phone to someone, I give it my full attention. I still haven't gotten into the cell phone mindset of talking on the phone while doing other things (4) the treadmill *could* work, but for the stairmaster you need to hold on with 2 hands, plus the exertion level is too high. I don't *think* they are excuses, but maybe...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #11  
Heidi

Petra I'm glad the conference went well; sorry you were nervous!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #12  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Workout done and having a smoothie.

Things here are blooming nicely but it's just not the same in the desert. It's one of the things I miss about Virginia.... digging in the dirt. BTW - Next to hyacinth peonies are my favorite.

Petra - Glad the lecture went well. Maintaining while away is GREAT.

Deb - What a beautiful tree. I was just looking at some of the pictures from Washington DC. I miss going to the festival, my sister still goes and will head down this weekend, just a day or two past peak.

Heidi - I enjoy talking on the phone while on the treadmill, as long as it is not one of my run days. Anything over 3.5 speed & 5% incline it's not a very pleasant experience for the person on the other end.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Still need to go back over what I missed this weekend.
Deb, the tree is lovely - thanks for the reminder that spring is truly close! I really needed it, cuz today is cold and windy. I smiled when I saw it!
Petra, congrats on the successful lecture! I share your talent for getting lost. Unfortunately, mine seems to lean toward getting lost in the bad parts of Flint and Detroit ! I guess the bright spot is that I learn something each time. I'm ready to buy into the concept of substance abuse. Some of the behaviors I exhibited this weekend were perilously close to being akin to a junkie going for a fix. I'm "detoxing" today and the headache - ugh.
Cindy - were your dogs all excited about the pool being prepared? I have a picture in my mind of them watching intently while the pool was being covered

No blooms here yet. It's supposed to go into the 70's by the end of the week, hooray! Just in time for a gorgeous Easter break - I'm off from the 2nd to the 12th.

Will catch up and be back later!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #14  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

OMW, great job catching up. The board has a lot of activity lately which I just love!

WLW, it’s always cool when the “ah-ha” goes off when the scale isn’t cooperating. For me, it makes the munchies disappear and my determination more solid. I hope that it does for you as well.

Cindy, I’m jealous you opened your pool. Mine is still probably 40 degrees. I mentioned to DH that you opened yours and he said we could open ours. I’m like, why??? The high is 36 on Wednesday. Seems easier to leave the winter tarp on. About three years ago we were able to swim on March 31st – not even close this year.

Newleaf, we have hummingbirds and the lilacs have buds. Although the snow on Wednesday might put a damper on my spring happiness.

Barb, I hear you on the indoor planting. I have my basil in indoor planters now so I can have pesto year round. Our planting season is too short because of the elevation.

Petra, how do you get 50 miles of with a GPS??? My Tomtom yells at us when we go a direction it has not deemed correct. I hope the diversion was pretty and relaxing. I totally agree with you that my weight was substance abuse. I can see why smokers or drinkers have difficulty kicking their habit. When the going gets tough, nothing is better than a quick fix (of food – nearly any type will do).

Deb, I love “pink” trees. When they are in bloom during the spring, the commute to work is mesmerizing.

Heidi, I often used to walk on the treadmill talking on the phone. I have a great handset. I miss my treadmill (lent it to DS and DIL) because I pace while on the phone. So now I lap my house and I often wish I had the treadmill back. So get a handset and go for it. Truly it doesn’t take your attention away from your phone call.

Today is another furlough day. Other than the pay reduction, I LOVE furlough days. DH and took all four doggies for their annual check-up. Four very healthy dogs. That’s always great. So the $$$ from furlough and the $$$ from the vet bill EQUALS reduced bank account.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Hey Ya'll! Not even going to try to catch up on personals.

Petra-Glad you had a good trip. Was the beach gorgeous?

LambChop-Love the pic of the tree. My daffodils are dwindling, they even survived the snow we got 1 1/2 week ago. Bradford Pears are blooming here, and as per usual, the wind seems to be blowing the petals away. Still pretty. My red bud is about to bust open!!

Will still be a while before we even think of getting fiance's pool open. He has an above ground. Am looking forward to the time when I can spend a Sunday afternoon floating around. He says there are a couple of ducks nesting around his pond, so I can't wait to get out there and see them....hope they have babies!

Back on track with my eating and exercise. I made grilled chicken sandwiches yesterday. I really wanted to toast the whole wheat buns, but didn't want to mess up the grill pan any more. So I just popped them into my wide slot toaster and they turned out perfectly. I asked my younger son what he wanted in his lunch today and he said, "One of these if there's enough!" So glad he wanted another one for today.

Going to try and get a little yard work done this evening if younger son doesn't have too much homework. Supposed to be in the '80s this week! That means probably thunderstorms around here. We'll see...

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 03-29-2010 at 02:00 PM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote