Old 05-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #166  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Obsidian: Congrats on the challenges!

Larry: Sounds like you had quite the adventure.

Sam: Congrats on the weight loss. Are you sure that you aren't doing too much leg work? That sounds horrible. I've had good success with drinking milk right after a weight lifting session. Apparently it has just the right balance of nutrients to help heal the muscles that were worked, and it helps with that acid build up. I forget what it's called. I know that you said that you're careful with dairy, but you might want to at least look it up. I found out that I like some coffee just plain, no creamer or sugar. I was just brewing it too thin. Who knew? I found one today that I just like with creamer, no sugar. I was thinking of just plain cutting the coffee, but now that I know that I like it just fine without creamer and sugar, I can drink it, and have the lightened one as a treat sometimes. If you find a good creamer recipe, please pass it along.

Rapid: As long as you can get back into the swing of things, taking a hiatus shouldn't hurt anything. This is life, not a prison sentence. We may as well enjoy it, and you're right, average weight people indulge, and then get back to their normal diet when they return. No harm, no foul.

Terra: Never heard of using mineral oil for that purpose. I just let my ears do their job, and I keep the outside clean. I don't get excess wax or anything, though.

Cindy: Quiet sounds nice. I have the kids out on summer break. Glad that your leg seems to be starting to feel better.

Fi: I feel awkward around people and never really know quite what to say. I just try to listen. I would never guess that you know horror fiction. You sound like quite an interesting person.

Mae: I love nature trails. I fear getting lost, but I like the smell, and noticing the animals and their movements. It's nice to get out and catch a breath of fresh air sometimes, huh?

Ubee: Zero plans does sound dangerous as far as not eating goes. I've found myself many times just snacking for no reason other than boredom. I hope that you end up doing okay. Denying those impulses is really hard to do. I've found it helpful to have water nearby, finding something to keep my hands busy (crocheting, game, reading, etc), and just going to bed instead of eating when it's late.

Betsy: I don't really smile, a lot. I try to be polite to people, though. Maybe they see that. Glad to see that you're busy enjoying life.

Last edited by tootsieroll81; 05-25-2015 at 02:53 PM.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:23 AM   #167  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Morning all, Thanks Tootsie, and btw I learned to love my coffee with just a non dairy sweetner. Occasionally someone will put milk and sugar in and it just seems like too much. I also find the longer I go cutting out alot of sugar and salt the more sensitive my taste buds are to it.

Larry the road trip sounded awesome even with the rain, nice on all the calorie burn

So I've been working out pretty much 18 days straight, nothing crazy going at my own pace. I have a weigh in sometimes between thur and sun. I pick the day. I'm nervous I won't be down...blah and that I'll burn my self out on exercise and I should force a complete rest day.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 05-26-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone.
Obsidianbbw working out for 18 days straight is a great accomplishment.
tootsie impulse control is a huge problem for me. I really need to keep a clean food environment in my home.
Larry I love how you are always there when there is a good cause!
Sam I really hope you do the food blog. I will spend some time thinking of a name for it. I admire how you exercise even when you are sore. I quit at the first thought of discomfort even before it becomes real.
tranquilize add me to the list of people sorry that you have such difficult aliments. I think if you keep posting you will be surprised at the community feelings our group has. I have found eating less crap and moving more can be the best medicine for me mentally. Please keep posting we all have a lot to learn from each other.
rabid I've never been on a cruise but I can promise you if I do go on one I will indulge. Glad you had a good time and got some exercise in.
Cindy how is that leg feeling? Were there good choices at the BBQ? How is your granddaughter?
Terra did you do anything exciting this weekend?
Fi as always I think you hit the nail on the head as to why fat people are more approachable. How are the kitties?
Mae have you been able to get back on track?
Betsy how was your vacation? Do you have sausage fingers to report?
I had Chinese the other day and too many not focused days. The scale jumped and scared me. I am not going back to having a 3 for my first number. Not happening. I need strict rules. People with health issues have rules and they survive. I have huge impulse control issues so I can not eat like others. So glad to have all of you to share this journey with!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning. I survived the weekend with the boys and sleeping with my younger grand......who turns during the night and ends up lying cross ways on the bed and then kicks to get you out of the way! We had a great time, but I have to admit that sleeping in my own bed and taking a real shower sure felt good.

Wow -- so much going on!

Sam 4 pounds off -- you are so awesome! Hope you got through biker weekend ok.
Ubee Didn't take any special precautions on food this weekend, but actually managed to lose 3 pounds. I think I need to just focus my exercise routine on climbing into and out of the RV 15 times a day. Did that 3 as a starting number scare you back on track? Unfortunately, it seems to take some sort of shock to get us in line, doesn't it!
Fi No, checking in every 3 days is not ok. I fell down the steps one time and it took me 3 hours to crawl to the phone. I could have sworn it was 3 years by the time I made it. I totally get Bob's anxiety. Could the two of you communicate some way every day -- phone, email, carrier pigeon, text with the understanding that if you miss the appointed time that he will call the local emergency services to come check on you? Seriously, Fi, if I were Bob I'd be hiring someone to come check on you whether you thought of it as an adventure of not. Falling and getting your legs caught doesn't sounds like a good adventure.
Larry The trip sounds......WET! What a great sense of humor to be able to laugh at the rain storms instead of getting cranky. Atkins Induction is definitely working for you!
Tootsie Did you decide what to do about the class? In reading posts, you give so much to other -- always a kind word and a good suggestion.
Rabidstoat So glad you had a great cruise, and I've never met anyone who didn't gain some weight on a cruise. Glad you had a good time and glad you're back here with us.
Obsidian 18 days straight! Are you beginning to notice changes not only in your body but in your stamina? I hate the gym, but hate how I feel if I don't go more!
Cindy Glad that the doctors are beginning to zero in on a cause, but hate that they're coming up with arthritis. I had a friend who developed sudden severe and debilitating pain in her leg that has been helped immensely with a cortisone shot. Hope things start easing up for you soon.
Tranquilize You've come to the right spot for support, new friends, and hopefully picking up some tricks for a healthier lifestyle. You have so much that you have to deal with on a daily basis -- my heart just goes out to you.
Terra Hi, Terra. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you, too.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. It's time for a cup of coffee and to let the dogs out. Bill comes home tomorrow and maybe I can finally get life back to what passes for normal for me. My nephew and wife bought a house this weekend -- scares me how much they're spending, but they are responsible and will make it work -- so they'll only be staying with me for a week in July. The kid is coming today and we're going to trim back some of the bushes that have just gotten out of hand. I am going to whip this yard into shape! As a side benefit, maybe I'll whip part of me into shape as well!

Hope everyone has a great day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #170  
There and Back Again

Betsy: I'm going to the class. Part of this change in body and mind is to live in less fear. I think that going to the class will prove to myself that I've traveled a long way since starting this journey.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #171  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Betsy, et al.— You are right that I need some local help while Bob is gone: since all the other family members are going to California for the memorial service, etc., we're going to rely on Grace's family. (Her mother is my husband's niece.) They live about 10 minutes away. Grace and her father came over yesterday, and Bob showed them a few things around the house that Grace could do for me. We plan on daily phone check-ins, a once-a-week short visit for getting the trash out & the recyclables to the curb, and our regular get-togethers on Fridays.

My only concern is climbing the stairs to get to the shower and my studio, but I did it "alligator fashion" yesterday without any help. I wish I could do it standing up, but my legs are just too weak, sore, & spastic.

I'm in a minus-3 mood state right now, so that's all I have to say.... thanks for bein' there, y'all!

Last edited by Fiona W; 05-26-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #172  
Intuituve Eater

Besty- my grandmother complains about the same thing (sleeping with wild children).

Funny there is a flight of stairs that I had been avoiding and I've been up and down them at least 3 times today. The working out has actually become a habit, even on days I think I should rest I feel a need to do something. About 2 months ago I could barely walk because of a injury to my knee, so I"m happy. Getting on the scale tomorrow after my workout. I usually "lose" a pound working out so this will ease the way for my official weigh in later in the week.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 05-26-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #173  
There and Back Again

Fi: Glad to see that someone will be looking out for you.

Obsidian: Those sound like good NSV's. Congrats.

I contacted my doc about starting Atkins. I've seen quite a few people have decent results with it. I'm not diabetic, but I'm on Metformin for a slightly elevated blood sugar level due to PCOS. He doesn't want me to do Atkins induction because he's afraid that it may make my blood sugar too low. He's happy with my loss so far. He's recommending The South Beach Diet. Am I mistaken in that it looks like Phase 2 Atkins? Or am I misreading it? Anyway, South Beach requires a monthly subscription to see recipes and such on their site. Atkins does not, relying instead on sales of their food products for profit. Does anyone know of any other South Beach Diet references other than their official site?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #174  
There and Back Again

I found the acceptable foods list for South Beach via Google on everydayhealth. I found recipes on Spark People. There are some on the forums here, too. Lol. How did I miss that?

Last edited by tootsieroll81; 05-26-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #175  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Obsidian Hope the small changes you have made pay off for you this week when you weigh in...I'm sure you'll do great!!

Larry Thank you so much!!! I remember poker runs all too well...My parents being bikers. My dad was killed in a hit and run accident when I was 4 and they did one for mom and us kids which helped out a bunch. You did a real good thing and great job for sticking it out even with the rain Glad you had a great time.

Tootsie Thanks dear!!! Idk if it's too much...I feel like I do a lot more when I do legs at the gym but I guess it may be a little harder because of body weight movement. I feel fine today so the extra day helped. I'll look up the milk thing and see what I find. So far I haven't found a good recipe for the creamer. I like my coffee REALLY strong so I think that's why I'm not tasting it in the coffee. I made a simple vanilla one with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and vanilla extract and tasted great but when I added it to the coffee this morning I couldn't even taste it. I think I'm just going to stick to regular creamer since I only use 2 TBSP, but the problem is those 2 TBSP have 10g carbs in it. Since coffee is the only thing I really enjoy now since I don't eat anything sweet anymore, including fruit, I say what the heck, it's not going to hurt any.

Ubee If I don't have any major plans this weekend I'm going to try and work on coming up with some things for it. It's going to be a very basic blog with very little camera skills lol...but I think it'll be enough to get by for awhile. Thanks for helping me think of a name. As far as the working out goes it's just something that I will beat myself up if I don't do it now. I was on the verge of tears when DH told me I really should take an extra rest day. But he was right I needed it. I almost took a 3rd rest day yesterday but got my meal prep done early, the grouch downstairs wasn't home and I forced myself to do it, despite spending the whole day cooking and cleaning up the entire house minus my bedroom and bathroom. I was really proud of myself when I was done with it all. I can tell you too Chinese food is a weakness of mine and it has SO MUCH SALT!!! That's probably the biggest reason you've gained...I love you but I think you need tough love...STOP DOING THIS TO YOURSELF!!!!! I know you can do it, and you know you can too, you just gotta stop sabotaging yourself!! Would you rather give up foods that you love for a short time in your life in order to have 10 more years added on because you made the right decision to get healthy? The food will still be there and by that time you'll have learned moderation and it will be second nature for portion controls, etc...I promise you Ubee, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Betsy Welcome back!!! I did survive bikefest quite well. I literally left my house twice over the whole 3 day weekend and it was only to go to the local grocery store that is not in the pathway of all the traffic. Glad you had a good time camping and awesome job on losing 3 pounds!!! We missed ya here!!

Quickly checking in between workouts...I just finished up cardio and going to work on arms tonight. I had to get the cardio in before the grouch came home. UGH...I know I shouldn't let it bother me and I shouldn't have to schedule my exercise time around her, I just hate confrontation and don't want to deal with her coming and banging on my door again. I can guarantee you that I have so much built up anger from the last time that she'll more than likely call the rental office on me the next time because I won't be very nice if I hear from her again.

Had a good day at work today...Really nice that tomorrow half my week will be over already and it'll be payday!! DH has band practice tomorrow and I really need to go shopping so I will probably take my scheduled rest day tomorrow since I more than likely won't have any extra time.

Having left over pork sirloin roast that DH made for me with some home made bbq sauce and a side of vinegar based coleslaw that was left over from the weekend. I also prepped an awesome snack salad for lunch this week. It's a veggie chicken salad in cucumber boats!!! If anyone wants the recipe just let me know I'll be happy to share!!! Take care everyone!!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:58 AM   #176  
Intuituve Eater

Sam You might want to check out fitness blender on youtube they have a quiet workout geared for people who live above others.

Tootise Good luck with south beach, I also low carb but haven't joined a formalized plan. Curious what you'll think.

So I decided the scale is just a tool (in more ways than one) and I got on it, I'm up 2 lbs. I promptly got in bed and was discouraged. I thought about this post and all the little NSVs I've accomplished. I also thought about all the "little cheats" Id been allowing up until about Sunday. I also didn't have the greatest dinner. So it isn't the end of the world. I think without all the working out it could have been worse. So since the working out has become sort of a habit (after the weigh in I wasn't going to, but its just felt weird not doing anything) Time to focus on eating. Next weigh in is saturday.

Also just want to say this post helped alot from not having a melt down.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 05-27-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good morning!
Obsidianbbw yes, this place is great at preventing things from being a major catastrophe. Our community helps to bring our journey into balance. I used to have wild swings of needing to be perfectly on plan or falling off the wagon in a massive way. The fact that exercise has become a habit is very encouraging. WTG on the stairs!
Sam I really hope you get your blog up. I am one that copies recipes and then forgets about them. The computer is so much easier to look something up for those days when your mind is blank or you just want to try something new. I do need tough love. Thanks. Do you weigh and measure foods or have you been given the gift of realizing what normal portions are?
tootsie I did South Beach. Lost about 60 pounds in 6 months. My hair started falling out because I wasn't getting enough healthy fats. Maybe I wasn't doing it right but I thought it was a good plan. I like Atkins/Grain Brain better though. Good luck. By the way I let fear have too much say in my life also. Good for you for taking a big step forward.
Fi I am glad you have a plan. Just curious... how do you feel about being away from Bob for that length of a time?
Betsy yea for 3 pounds down. When we are happy and active weight loss is a little less of a challenge. Just to clarify I have not hit 3 on my scale but I am getting too close. So you will only have house gusts for a week. Lucky girl. I don't think I could spend a lot for a house. Once again my mid west/depression era instilled thinking. How do they sleep at night? As for sleeping with kids it is all elbows, knees, nose and toes. But they make the world go round. Heck we all do.

I've had 2 goodish days in a row and had hoped the scale would be down 30 pounds overnight. I need to get away from the scale mindset and into the doing this for my health mindset. I am a work in progress. Well I am off to have a healthy day. Hope you all do too!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #178  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Ubee— You asked how do I feel about being away from Bob for so long (10 days)....

Actually, I'm really looking forward to it. Bob and I are both loners: our favorite scenario is to be alone and yet together—not talking for hours, not relating to each other for hours, yet in the same general space. But during Bob's looooong depression—2008 to 2015—I have really craved alone time—and have not gotten it, because of Bob's agoraphobia. So this will literally be my first time to myself in many, many months. I just wish I felt better, and specifically I wish it was easier to get upstairs for shower and studio time.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #179  
There and Back Again

I haven't officially started South Beach. I'm weighing my options. Ba Dum Tink! Well, I don't like all of the artificial sweeteners in many of South Beach's recipes. I can do without that.

I did notice something. I've already been cutting some things because I was hoping to be able to do induction for Atkin's. Last night, I had muscle spasms in the bottom right side of my lips. I looked it up, and apparently I'd been pushing so much water that I had a potassium deficiency. That is with taking a multivitamin. So, I had half of a banana, then the spasms stopped. I also noticed that I can lose more rapidly just cutting out bread and pasta, without cutting fruit. When I eat fats and proteins throughout most of the day, I don't have cravings. I don't really eat a lot of beans and legumes and dairy, so I may try them to see what happens. The last couple of days, I've been having trouble getting enough calories in. The doc said to make sure to have at least 1200. So I snuck in a couple of junk items. I really need to get away from that.

I was thinking that maybe I should just imitate the cuisine of the countries with a low obesity rate. Then again, what I've done so far has worked, so maybe I don't need to change anything, except foregoing the junk. I just see people with better than average results losing a pound a day, so it's tempting to try something else.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #180  
Intuituve Eater

Thumbs up

Tootise..I think you should figure out what works for you, in the end I think that will be more sustainable and make your head hurt alot less than trying to recreate what someone else is doing.