Old 05-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #61  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Happy Mom's Day to the moms and moms in spirit.

Sam: Congrats to giving a Kung Fu kick to 100 pounds.

Terra: I'm sure that your mom is happy just having a thoughtful daughter.

Cindy: It's too bad that you and your husband had a spat and you got off track. The good news is that you'll be back on track before you know it.

Mae and rapid: Hope that things are going okay.

Fi: It stinks that your mom was absive to you. Mine wasn't exactly the best mom in the world, either.

TRIGGER WARNING: If you aren't in a good place, don't read.

The only time my mom seemed to care whether I was okay or not was when I was ill or seriously injured, and only because if I was seriously maimed or died, then she may be blamed, and go to jail. Otherwise, she either neglected me, or abused me. It really puts me into a bad place thinking about it. I left her and other toxic family members behind four years ago, and I'm better for it. It seems like every time I talk to them, destruction of my sanity and well-being follows, so I haven't talked to them in four years. I was forced to stop viewing Facebook because Facebook wanted my real identity, and I wasn't willing to give them that. It's actually a good thing, though, because my family members are on there. Last I saw, every other day, my mom was either posting how much she loved me, or how much of an evil daughter I was for turning in a family member to the police because they had commited a really bad crime, and I couldn't let them continue committing that crime.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone.
tootsie I am sorry you have so many toxic people in your family. I got rid of one and am not looking back. Good for you for having the courage to do what needed to be done.
Fi please do share if you find a less painful way to get upstairs. I am always thinking of ways that we can stay in our home as we age. We will be having the front of the house done soon and I am considering installing a ramp.
Betsy thanks for sharing your depression experiences. I always cringe when people tell me they can afford something because the bank loaned them the money. I always had to clean my plate. Why couldn't we just have saved it for later?
Sam I love how Betsy said you are an example/inspiration for us to get in the triple digits in weight loss. You are our pioneer!
Terra you are a kind and thoughtful daughter. That itself is the greatest gift.
Cindy we have all been there. One thing sets us off and before you know it we are wondering who ate that (insert binge food). Then it just starts to feed on itself. The good news is that coming back and posting on here makes the behavior stop much sooner then in the past.
No sugar again today. I did have a lot of fruit, but...
Have a peaceful day.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Hi everyone.

Sam, congratulations on your 100 lbs. lost. You definitely are an inspiration. You must be so proud of yourself. I know I'm proud of you.

Betsy, my parents were teenagers during the 1930s also and my Mom would always talk about how difficult things were. Her father lost his job and she went to work at age 16 and supported her whole family for awhile. Both of my parents were always hard workers, and although we never had much money when I was young, we always had a houseful of food.

I also agree that posting here and reading what others post helps me feel that others do have the same eating issues as I do. Who knew? And yes, getting back on track is like detoxing. Unfortunately, I'm not doing that yet. More on that below.

Fi and Tootsie, I'm so sorry you had mothers that were abusive and/or neglectful. While I have a few not so pleasant memories of mine overall I was fortunate to have been adopted by my parents.

Ubee, congratulations on no sugar again. Don't you feel better without it? I know when I banish it I feel better once the initial few days of cravings have passed.

We had a nice afternoon at DH's daughter's house today, and even got to see our 2 year old great grandson, but I ate way too much again, including birthday cake for DH. I really don't like being this out of control with food anymore, but I don't seem able to stop yet. I have noticed that nothing tastes as good as I remember it tasting, but that hasn't stopped me from eating it.

I'm taking tomorrow off from work to spend with DH for his birthday. We hope to do a little fishing if it doesn't rain or become brutally hot. It did both today. Yesterday we were going to go after our grandson's morning T-ball game but it was too windy, so instead we took him, his parents and sister out to breakfast, then looked for some yard sales on our way home. No found treasures though.

I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #64  
There and Back Again

Somehow managed to be down 2 pounds, even though I haven't been as militant about exercising, and my diet of late hasn't been the best. We celebrated Mother's Day.

I need to get in the habit of planning my meals. My family and I just kind of wing it. On one hand, it's nice to be flexible, but on the other hand, it's easy to overeat.

I cringe when I watch my kids eat. They always ask for seconds, and sometimes thirds of things like spaghetti. One of my kids doesn't eat hardly anything at all. She's normal weight. My oldest eats a lot, but he's normal weight. The middle child is starting to get chubby. I don't want him to end up like me, but I'm afraid of saying anything, because I remember how I felt when my family members relentlessly teased me about my weight. The only things that I can think to do, is to try to get him to drink water before his meal, wait 20 minutes after he's eaten to give him seconds, and give him more vegetables if he is still hungry. I use a smaller plate. I think that I will get smaller plates and bowls for my kids to give that visual cue of having enough food, to them. I need to get my middle child more active, too. I think that I should look up activities that are age-appropriate. Other than those things, I really can't think of anything else.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #65  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Sam ~ I watch all Judge Shows,Bones,Grimm,Forever and CSI Cyber just to name a few.

Betsy ~ Yeah I'm glad none of the Ok. tornadoes came to Ks.

Tootsie & Ubee ~ Thanks for your comments on me being a kind and thoughtful daughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up at 5:30 a.m. but I didnt get out of bed until almost 6:30 a.m. Its now almost 9 a.m. I hope its get warm today, It was down right chilly earlier this morning when I put some mail out in the mailbox this morning. I'm gonna try to do intervals for the first time today while walking outside. I hope I'm able to do them. I've read you lose weight faster if you do intervals when you work out. Wish me luck. I hope everyone is having a great start to the week.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning everyone. It's a nice cool morning here -- love this time of year.

Fi Wish you had good memories of your mother, but good or bad you are who you are from your experiences. Don't have any advice on getting up those steps (I know.....the shock of no advice from Betsy might send you to your futon for an hour or two! ). I'm with Ubee -- if you devise something, please share as the basement steps seem to get harder with each passing day for me.
Tootsie Hard to do, but just walking away from toxic people -- even if they're family -- is the best thing in the long run. Good for you on being down this week. Don't know if this will help with your middle child, but maybe you two could team up some how on watching what you eat. Turn it into a game with a reward for the winner? Just a thought. We used to play grammar games at dinner which were a whole lot more fun than studying grammar as part of a homework assignment.
Ubee Except for a house or a car (and maybe a medical emergency), I was pretty much taught never to borrow money. I still write all credit card purchases in my checkbook register when I make them so the money is already deducted. What are you getting done to the front of the house?
Cindy Hope you and DH have a wonderful day together for his birthday. You'll get back in the swing -- just keep coming here and something will click.
Terra Good luck with doing the intervals. It is definitely supposed to help with the weight loss plus I've read that if you're doing intervals that you don't have to exercise as long to get the same benefit.

Yes, I finally got the deck power washed yesterday!!! And the deck furniture is all uncovered and ready for the first meal outside. Today I will get the screens put up unless the predicted rain comes with blowing rain. Still struggling to stay on plan for the whole day. But, each day is a little better.

Hope everyone has a great day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #67  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Betsy ~ Yeah when I read about intervals I also read that when you add them to your work out you dont have to work out as long.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #68  
There and Back Again

Terra: With Intervals... It depends on your goals. It burns a little more calories than steady state in the SAME amount of time, and it helps with cardiovascular health. There are differing opinions in the medical community as to whether the benefits outweigh the risk of doing intervals because it isn't a huge difference. Just to give an example... My Fitbit shows that when I do steady state, without intervals, I burn 500 calories. When I do intervals, I burn 530 in the same amount of time. During steady state, my heart rate gets up to about 130-140 beats per minute. During HIIT, my heart rate up to 162 beats per minute. I would like to point out that it is more than just calorie burn that intervals affect. So, there are things going on internally that are different with each form. My point is NOT to discourage you, but for you to weigh your options. I choose to keep doing intervals because I feel good afterwards. Drenched in sweat and alive. Some may not want to because it puts your joints and knees at risk more than walking, but less than running does. One more thing... It is easier to modify than most forms of exercise, because you just go at your max effort, so, for instance, you can walk during both phases. You just go at a slow walk for two minutes, then walk at a faster pace for 30 secs to a minute. Then once it gets easier, start jogging for short intervals, and walking. It's also good for tracking progress. If you start with walking only, and then progress to jogging, there you go. Marked progress. If you're able to walk at the fast pace for longer periods of time, again, marked progress.

Last edited by tootsieroll81; 05-11-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #69  

Hi everyone.
Food is a struggle today. It is a cool rainy day, perfect for a nap. Not going to happen but a girl can dream.
tootsie As for advice with your middle child, well I have none. I have two that are OK weight wise. Also a chubby one and a fat one. The fat one has the ball in her court. I am educating/reminding the chubby one to watch it and exercise. I have told them both I want them to learn from my mistakes. The chubby one listens because that is the kind of relationship we have.
Terra I don't even know what intervals are. (Not a big surprise.) What are they?
Betsy we have aluminum siding on 3 sides but the front is fake stucco that is really starting to show its age. The more we look around the more we see that needs to be done in the next few years. Our bushes are on their last leg. A new window here and there. The deck is getting wobbly and can only be repaired so many times... 235 days left until 2016! We really have to get our large backsides in gear!
Cindy I though of you this morning. My usually very nice husband got under my skin. All I could think of was chocolate. Thank goodness there is none in my house. I almost told him to go get me some. Then I thought of you and didn't feel so alone.
While typing I remembered my bright idea/plan of making a protein drink into a pudding when I get in this need to eat a lot of food mood. Off to make it now.
Have a peaceful day.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey guys checking in...

Been a long day no personals. I have to be up early to get DH back to our house and make it on time to my 8am dr appt for blood work.

Had a good day...will catch up on personals tomorrow. Hope everyone had a nice mother's day
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #71  

Hi everyone. I am totally jealous of all of you posting about your nice cool morning. I think our low overnight stayed in the 70s, which is not cool by my standards, and again it got close to 90 today. I believe today is our last day of this too-hot-for-May (and me) weather. I had to ask DH to put in one of the window air conditioners today, because I just couldn't stand the house being 80 degrees any longer.

Tootsie, I know children learn by example so perhaps as your middle child sees you making better choices they will also. Your ideas sound like good ones, and I think it's ok to set some limits as to how much pasta, or whatever they can have, without calling them fat, or making fun of them. I think that is horrible that your family did that to you.

Betsy, I'm glad food is getting better for you. I wish I could say the same for me. I actually think going back to work tomorrow will help me focus. I always pack my lunch and breakfast, and snacks so I know what I'll be eating, and dinner is also planned for tomorrow so I'm hoping I will have a good food day.

Terra, good luck with intervals.

Ubee, I'm glad you didn't let your usually very nice husband drive you to food. It's not the way to go. I'm still struggling to get back in control, but I will get there. I don't know what intervals are either.

Sam, glad you checked in.

I was just telling my husband tonight about this group and how, for the first time in my life I don't feel alone with my eating issues. When I belonged to Weight Watchers I would stop going to meetings when I had a bad week because it seemed like everyone else there always had a perfect week and no one ever ate double their points in a single day. I am not knocking Weight Watchers in any way. I think it is actually a very good program. I just could not relate to my leader who lost 35 lbs. total to reach her goal. I also belonged to another online group several years ago and felt that no one had the same food issues, and struggles that I do. If they did, no one ever posted about it so of course I wasn't going to. Here I so often read something I can totally relate to. I still occasionally feel a bit guilty coming here and posting after a bad eating day, because I'm not used to being in a group where it's ok to do that, but I'm getting better.

DH and I had a good day, and no spats, We went out for a late lunch, then to his sister's house for a little fishing. We mostly sat in the shade by the lake chatting with her, but even the shade was terribly hot. There was a breeze which helped a little but I was glad when we left and I could cool off again.

Well off to bed for me. Long weekend is officially over. I hope you all have a good day tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning everyone. At least I think it's morning. Dreary day out there and dreary brain in here.......one of those nights where I slept, but didn't seem to wake up feeling rested.

Tootsie That's a great explanation of interval training/exercising -- thanks! Right now I'd be thrilled to do any exercise without my knees doing some sort of protest about being used!
Ubee Ah, yes, the point has been reached where the list is long enough that work will be done. I've been doing some of that as well -- hate spending the time and money, love the results. Good job on remembering to make a protein shake into a pudding. What's your recipe. And hopefully DH is back to being a sweet guy this morning.
Sam Hi back at 'ya. Glad you checked in with us.
Cindy Yikes -- temps in the 90s at this time of year is nuts. Hope you get a cool front coming through soon. Good luck with getting back into your diet routine with the return to work. And I so agree with you that having this group has been one of the huge factors in my continuing to try to get the weight off and keep it off. Knowing we're not alone in our efforts does help.

Got the screens up on the porch yesterday so I have now officially run out of excuses not to tackle getting the yard whipped into shape. And there's a LOT of whipping that needs to be done. But today I am driving Bill to the airport and will stop at Home Depot on the way home for yard "stuff" that I need. Then tomorrow I'm going to get the annuals and get the flower boxes/pots planted. If I see some good tomato plants, I'll get some of those as well. And, then I start on the yard. Lots of weeding, new mulch, more rock for the dry creek beds, take down the lattice work covering the ugly concrete walls, put together two benches I ordered, install new solar lights on the steps leading up from the street, and eventually planting lots of woody evergreens, rhodies, camellias, and whatever to hide the ugly concrete walls. Yep, that should about take up the rest of the summer......and give me lots of exercise!

Better get some coffee in me and get dressed to go to the airport. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey guys just quickly checking in. I didn't sleep well last night and had a busy morning with getting all my stuff back home before having to be at the doctor's office for blood work.

Came home and exercised...worked on abs but had a really hard time getting through it. I even cried at one point because I felt like a loser for not pushing hard enough.
Sometimes I am too hard on myself...I know that just not feeling myself and I'm sure the lack of sleep is mainly to blame.

DH and I had chicken and green beans for dinner. I'm headed to the showers then I'm off to bed.

Good night weight loss family...sweet dreams <3
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #74  

Hi everyone.
Sam there is no place like home. Sweet dreams.
Betsy please correct me if I am wrong but you are supposed to be retired right?
Cindy I feel so lucky to have found our little community as Fi would say.
Hi Fi, Terra, tootsie, Mae,...
I am not too chatty tonight. Too tired. I did have a little pity party for myself today. A pity party involves having a sugary coffee and bakery item at the coffee shop this morning. I have a good life. Everyone has obstacles. I need to go back to my attitude of gratitude. I am like Sam and looking forward to crawling into my comfy bed tonight.
Have a peaceful day and let's lose weight!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:41 PM   #75  

Betsy, I think you do more in a day than I do in a week. I hope when I'm finally able to retire, I will be as active as you are. It sounds like you have a busy summer planned. I think we will be planting our tomatoes and cucumbers this coming weekend.

Sam, I hope you sleep better tonight in your own bed. Not getting enough sleep makes me cranky and emotional too.

Ubee, I hope you get a good night sleep too.

I had a good food day today It was the first one in a week and I think I'm safe from having anything else. The weather is finally cooler here so I will probably sleep better tonight too. The pain in my leg has returned with a vengeance so I think I need to call my doctor and get to the bottom of this. It is definitely not my knee. It's below that, more in the calf, so probably a sprain or something, but it just shouldn't keep happening.

I hope you all have a good day tomorrow,