Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #211  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Fiona I too have a pair of very luxe pajamas. I'm not quite into mine yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Congrats on the NSV

Mountain Walker Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope everything works out!

Ubee I definitely feel more motivated than I have in a long time!

I was good yesterday until supper, when I had a piece of cake I didn't need. However, I was still under 1500 calories, and there's now no more sweet stuff left in the house. I was down .4 today, and probably could have been more if I hadn't thrown myself out of ketosis, but today's another day.

It's blizzarding, so I won't be getting a swim in, but I've been upping my mall walks now that I have a fitbit.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #212  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning all. What a great group this has become. I remember just a few short months ago I would cruise through all the threads and recognized a lot of people, but certainly didn't feel connected the way a great support system makes one feel.

Jane -- hope the shakes are working for you -- sounds like they are. Hope the blizzard doesn't last too long. The dark orange for your bedroom sounds so restful.

Ubee -- Hope the shopping, and lunch with DH and and doctor's appointments all go well. Sounds like a busy day. Good to know I'm not alone in thinking that it's normal (ok, maybe we shouldn't go that far!) to eat PB with a spoon. I'm not sure we actually change our behaviors either because I find myself falling back into old ruts. What I'm hoping for is that an awareness of them will help in identifying when I'm going into a skid and can stop before I've gained back everything that's been lost and then the extra 20-50 pounds.

Pam -- LOVE your positive thinking. It truly does make a difference in how well we stay on plan.

Andrea -- Sorry to hear about your trials right now and hope that things can be successfully and happily resolved. Thanks for checking in with us -- we've been missing you.

Nightkatt -- thanks for sharing your story. Provides great inspiration! Hope the acid reflux is doing better -- aside from the discomfort it can do some serious damage to your esophogus. Totally agree with you that goal weight needs to be where you feel comfortable as opposed to a one-size-fits-all chart.

Edoetsch1 -- Welcome. Hope the new scale brings good news.

Sam -- what a wonderful BIL you have!!!! I have one, too, and supportive family makes such a difference in our success.

Terra -- good for you with the walking. So good for you and lifts the spirits as well.

Merstopher -- you always are so busy with both work and exercising. Loved the cat pictures. And, obviously, you may be alone in not realizing that PB is eaten directly from the jar with a spoon. I now buy only natural PB because it has to be refrigerated after opening and I don't like cold PB all that well. But leave a jar of Jif around......that sucker will be gone in a day or two. Glad you're doing so well with staying on plan and hope that Ubee, Fi, and I haven't sent any desire to taste test PB with a spoon your way. It's an evil habit!

Fi -- Love that you can get into your luxurious silk PJs. I know your kittens will love being cuddled up with you once they come home. The postcard collages sound fascinating.

This morning I decided that I'm starting over. I'm not going to think of this as "I've been dieting for a year now" because in truth I've been sort of maintaining (yo-yoing) since July. So, time to start anew. Don't know why, but it feels like a ton of bricks has been lifted off of me. Tonight is obedience class. Toby is learning the commands so quickly. I've got to make the appointment to get his snip-snip operation done in the next week or so. February will see the installation of a doggie door so that he can come and go at will. Off to the gym and then time to help my BIL get his new Kindle powered up and ready. Have a great day!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey All,

Checking in a little later than usual for me but I had a lot of work to do this morning when I got in.

edoetsch Welcome!

Nighttkat Hope you're feeling better soon. Reflux can be really bad, my DH has it.

moutain Sorry to hear about the maritial problems. I hope everything works out! We miss you here, but definitely focus on the important things, we'll still be here whenever you are back

pj It was very nice of my BIL to want to help me out. He told me last night he is going to keep a count of my progress with my exercise and he has deemed himself my official unofficial trainer ...I asked if I got a gold star last night and he said that he would even go the extra distance to get stars if I wanted haha!! He's really nice, even though he can be annoying at times he does mean well.

Ubee Hope you are well my friend. Good luck with the shopping today. Thank you for the encouragement!

Betsey It is very nice to start getting a support system in my house. I haven't really told anyone about my journey because most of them are "supportive" so I just didn't want to have to deal with that. But he's taken me in with open arms and he lives with me so it makes it even better.

I woke up today a little sore but not too bad since I stretched out my muscles after my walk. I think we're going to try to make it a nightly thing, which may be hard for me at first, but I'll get better. My BIL also wants me to try and do little things while I'm at work since I'm sitting for most of my day during the week. He gave me little tips that he was given when he was in the army, but showed me in ways that I could do it with the weight I have right now. So today I've done 20 high knees, 10 close hand pushups on my desk, 20 torso twists and stretched my arms for 2 minutes. I also found a picture on Instagram on a 30 day squat challenge to get your booty in order. I know it's going to take more than 30 days to get my butt looking good but something that I can do and then start all over again the next month. We'll see how it goes.

Tomorrow at work we are having a bday party. We usually have one on the birthday of each person in the office, but since mine was Dec 26th and we have 3 birthdays this week we decided to do it all tomorrow. My manager told me not to bring lunch because she is going to get some pizza deal at Pizza Hut that is pizza, bread sticks, and pasta. As soon as she said that I immediately told myself, HECK NO! It would be nice to partake in the food but I know it is going to slow my progress and I'll probably end up feeling sleepy and terrible after I consume that many carbs. So I plan on bringing my salad and will just have to tell her that I can't eat that right now. Not only is it bad for me but I know it's not whole food which is what I'm trying to stay away from. I know it's going to be hard tomorrow when I smell pizza coming down the hallway into my office, or better yet, right in front of me while I eat my salad, but it is trials like this that really test how dedicated and determined to lose the weight. I know I will have flub ups down the road but I just don't want to do that to myself this early in the game.

I hope everyone is having a POP day! Tomorrow is payday for me so I'll finally be able to go get me a new scale!! I'm pretty excited because I can feel like I have lost some weight in my clothes some even though it's only been a week and a half so far, so I'm excited to see where I stand.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 380/ticker/180

Height: 5"9

Hey all

Just got in from shopping with coworkers.... feeling okay today... ate food, and bought some meat and cheese to bring for lunch, also have some dinners planned out and will be cooking some tomorrow night.

saving up for a new fridge with a useful freezer...

Hope you all have a good day
Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good Afternoon!
Had a good day AND made great choices when we went out for lunch.
I found coconut sugar at the special store. Thanks for talking about it Katt. I would have walked right by it.
Jane I feel so optimistic that we are all going to do amazing this year! It just seems out there in the universe!
Betsy, good idea to start over. I just look at my last 6 months of 2013 as maintaince practice. I am so glad Toby is doing well training you! Good point about us becoming more aware. Nice job putting a positive spin on everything. Love your wisdom...
Sam, woo hoo on getting a new scale tomorrow! You are very lucky to have a free personal trainer. When your pizza party is at work just think of all of us being there with you eating our salads.
Time4me, I too find it so important to plan ahead. Also if I actually do the work it really is helpful.
My weight loss effort is so emotional, one minute I am up the next day I am doubtful. My hormones are so screwed up!
Today at the doc office the nurse and I had an overly excited conversation about Grain Brain and Wheat Belly. She told me about how the store I was just at now carries coconut sugar. At which point I was "I know I just bought it!" Which then led us into acting like 2 teenagers talking about a boy. It was fun to meet someone in person on the same page.
OK too much coffee today...
Old 01-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #216  
Starting over sucks.

Betsey I'm totally with you. I stalled out last spring and haven't really lost anything since. This is my reboot!

Ubee I agree! I think we're all motivated and ready to go!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Ubee (& Betsy )- Sorry dolls, still sick so no super-happy-fun times for me to yack about. I'm just trying to survive and not cough up a lung! I deleted the photo, felt too exposed and real. I had an x-files trust no one sort of moment I guess PS geeking out with someone over nutrition <3

Jane - Boo for blizzards interfering with workouts. Ours is on haaitus, its clear out right now but I feel it will come back. Workout tonight I guess.

Terra - Wow you're walking up a STORM.

FI - ooo fab sounding pajama's I am jealous. Glad you can wear em again.

Chris - recovery days are good. PB on a spoon is DANGEROUS. One of those guilty pleasures haha... be careful if you try it.

sam glad you have a workout plan now. I love being active. You're strong with the pizza avoidance plan

pjv - aw thanks, yeah its annoying all I want to do is eat. Even sleeping is challenging because I keep waking up coughing/or stuffed up. Ah well this too shall pass eventually it just keeps coming back... darn colds.

edoe - Welcome

time4 - Yeah for grocery shopping, I totally need to get on that.

Besty - You can do this (again) I think I'm doing it again, I'd maintained a 20lb loss for about 3 years, Its actually embarassing because everyone has been asking me for years "have you lost weight" and I've had to say "not recently".Hopefully that answer will change for me soon!

So trying to motivate myself to do stuff.. but still under the weather. Argh! I ate a TON last night I just couldn't satisfy, major carb cravings I went out of my way to make a bread-type thing (just flour/baking poweder/water) in the oven... I was carb craving that badly... ) dunno it wasn't a binge in the eat lots in one sitting sense it was... I just wasn't satisfied, I ate my meal I'd planned which was leftovers at 5 (chicken curry, and brown rice)..., and then 2 hours later I was hungry still and made "fries" (potatoes tossed with olive oil and baked) and that barely put a dint in the craving so... eventually made the bannockish thing... and went to bed after I had that. I was NOT satisfied.

Super annoying when that happens, I almost called my friend who had her birthday sunday so I could go over for cake leftovers I was just craving carbs/sugar that badly.

I don't think overall it will damage my progress as long as that doesn't happen again anytime soon. I just don't like consuming so much refined carbohydrate in one night. Hello that's likes screaming for Diabetes to come a knockin.

Anyways... hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey Guys, just wanted to do a quick evening check in. I am POOPED!!!

I came home and made dinner, tonight I made chicken fajitas (healthy style) with lettuce has my shell instead of a flour tortilla. It was really good. I ate two and was pretty full. Before starting my journey I would usually eat 3 fajitas in the small flour tortilla shells with refried beans topped with cheese and sour cream so that is pretty darn good if you ask me!

After I finished dinner I read up on what was going on here then did the dishes. As I did the dishes I was dancing to some good ol' funk music and would do little things while standing at the sink like pushing my body up on my tip toes...not sure exactly what that's called lol...After I got done with dishes I was planning on going on a walk but it is literally about to rain any minute now and the wind is REALLY gusty out there. So I decided I'd do some exercises in the house. I did some push ups by using my kitchen counter for my hands, some high knees, crunches...I had learned from a friend years ago about how to work your core using a broom handle so I did that and boy I feel it. I even PLANKED for 10 seconds!! Holy crap is that hard to do! It looks way easier than it really is!! Another first for me, I did 50 squats at work today while I was scanning documents (not sure if I said that in my last post)...Anyway, I figured even if starting out I can only work out for 30 minutes I can build up to it. I've been keeping a log for my BIL of what I did today so when he asks me I can remember what I did ....He's sleeping right now, he works the night shift at a convenience store so he'll probably be up later...

Anyway, I'm off! have a great night everyone!!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #219  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm having a weird sort of day, staying indoors and watching the snow fall—5 inches, which is a lot for this area. I keep wanting to eat even though I'm not hungry, but I haven't done anything more outrageous than having an extra serving of my daily muesli.

I'm nervous because tomorrow is the 22nd, my monthly weigh-in. All I really want, given my indulgence in the C-word last week, is to be at my ticker weight of 289. And then Thursday is my first app't with the cardiologist. Not exactly what I'd call a future that's wide-open for creative possibilities. I even played hooky from my collage blog this past week.

Oh well... It's great to come here and read about so many of you being super-enthused about weight loss this year. I know I'll get on the bandwagon myself once the next two days are over.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #220  
Starting over sucks.

TOM just hit. I feel like crap, so no exercise.

I didn't get off the ground with the shakes. I've managed the past two days to eat within my cals and within or close to carbs. I'll use the shakes for semi fast days. (After pms goes buh bye).
Old 01-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #221  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Whoops! Too much coffee today!
Jane, those "darn" hormones get us all the time. Great job staying within your calories. I am a hungry monster before TOM. I am pretty sure it is safe to blame a lot of my weight on hormones.
Fi I hope you are enjoying the snow. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Good luck. Also good luck when you see the cardiologist. I try to look at things like that in a positive light. I now don't mind going to the doc because I am getting my life back in order. I want to live a long time and I need their help. It is now about fixing not putting a bandaide on it.
Sam that is a lot of exercise! I call my fajitas without a shell naked fajitas. I have no clue what some of those exercises are but, good for you!
Silent have you been to a doctor lately??? Betsy and I can not be put on hold forever! We might get crazy ideas and go out and try to find a disco! I so get the cake. I am guilty of going to parties just for food especially the cake.
Well I am going to read a book and hopefully that will help me get tired. It is way past my bed time!
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 AM   #222  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

Hi all .. just a quick pop in ...

UBEE - Cottage Pie .. also known as Shepherds Pie (depending on which part of NZ you are in I think lol). When i was growing up it was all about the roast leftovers I actually preferred it to the roast! Basically the leftover meat would go through the mincer on the mixer along with any leftover vegetables. Mixed all together and maybe some sauce or gravy added its put at the bottom of a casserole dish in an even layer .. then mashed potato is spread on top .. sometimes cheese or breadcrumbs is added on top .. then its put in the oven and baked for about 20-30 minutes. The alternative to that is to use minced meat (I like a pork/beef mix). Simply fried off, drained and blotted with a paper towel to remove as much of the fat as possible. Saute some onion, garlic & sesame seeds, add in the dried off mince, then once its all heated through, add in the pre cooked mixed vegetables, again put at the bottom of a casserole dish and top with the mashed potato. Its filling .. and depending on how well you remove the fat or whatever .. a serving is about 500 calories. So kewl about the coconut sugar! I used the dark cane sugar in the cookies I made last night .. going to adjust that recipe cos it definitely doesn't need as much as my recipe cos its a sweeter sugar ... and from what I was told Coconut Sugar is the same Let me know how you use yours
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #223  

Hello guys, I just thought I'd check in with you here. I'm about 10 days into my intuitive eating program and it's going well. Already it is easier to move my body. I'm in the 370's at the moment. I see a lot of you here are walkers. I walk about an hour daily as part of the commute to my job. It's hard on my joints, particularly my ankles. I take 2 naproxen daily to relieve the pain and stiffness. I realize exercise will get easier as I lose but I'd really like to start moving my body to de-stress (I LOVE exercise). I can't afford a gym membership at the moment. Does anyone here have any tips and tricks for low impact stuff? Thanks for the love and support.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #224  
Starting over sucks.

Hi Locke,

you can definitely you tube a lot of stuff and do it at home. Beginner yoga and yoga for the obese is very good. It's very easy to find what works for you online at little to no cost. I don't know what it would cost in your area or if it would have to be part of a gym membership, but swimming is amazing for people with mobility issues. Swimming is the very first exercise I tried and I lost my first 100 pounds doing it.

My scale told me I lost 37 pounds this morning. As thrilling as that is, I think I need a new battery. Will pick one up and weigh at lunch.

Last edited by Radiojane; 01-22-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #225  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Hi Locke, My scale told me I lost 37 pounds this morning. As thrilling as that is, I think I need a new battery. Will pick one up and weigh at lunch.
I will definitely check out the youtube stuff. Sounds good.
Closed Thread