Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Default 300+ Chat Thread: July 2013

WELCOME!!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support, inspiration, and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Smile Loser on the Jane Train!

Good Morning Everyone!

My weekly weigh in was today and I am no longer extremely obese. I am plain old obese. I started with a BMI of 49.7 and am now 38.6.

I always feel conflicted on these days. I worked hard to get here. I look forward to it. When it gets here it is bitter sweet. Should I be happy to be obese? I have so far to go. I am happy to no longer be super, extremely... obese. I am proud of how far I have come but yikes what had I done to myself. I know why but, I have so many emotions. I am so glad I can come here because no one in real life understands. I will admit I am confused.

Thanks, Ubee
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Ubee -- These "classifications" are definitely a double edged sword. First, congratulations on getting to the obese from extremely obese. That's a huge change in your BMI. But I understand what you're feeling 100%. It's so hard to have positive feelings when medically we're still considered unhealthy. And this is after weeks and months of trying really hard. But this is one time when I allow myself to use the rear view mirror......as in looking back as opposed to checking out my still ample rear end. Look at all of the changes you've made to get to this point. Look at what you've accomplished in terms of getting healthier. From everything I've read, even a 10% weight loss makes a huge difference in your overall health. You've found a group that can provide support and encouragement when it's needed and in return you provide more support and encouragement than you'll ever know. So, yes, we still have a long way to go, but we've started the journey. Please feel good about yourself -- you're one of the main reasons that I come back to this thread every day. Hang in there.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #4  

Betsy, your humor is such a gift! Thank you. Having your support is so helpful. On days like today I need to find something that weighs how much I lost and carry it around for a while. I just googled it and realize I need to find my 11 year old nephew and carry him around today. This is crazy.

Another thing that makes it so emotional is when I acknowledge how large I was I have to acknowledge the tragedy and difficult times that got me there. I can not stuff those feelings down with food anymore. I have to let the tears come out. Bitter sweet.

Thank you Betsy and Everyone.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

*peeks in, waves*

Hi everyone! It's my first post here so here's a little about me. I'm 49 years old. I've been heavy or obese my entire life. Nope, I'm not exaggerating, I was even outside of the normal range of weight when I was born. I started my weight loss effort on January 18, 2012 when I stepped on a scale in the doctor's office and it showed 302 pounds. I joined Weight Watchers online that night and My Fitness Pal some months later. I still do both programs.

I've been struggling with weight loss since last September but my overall trend continues to be downward.

I'm glad to have found this group!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #6  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

welcome Garnet!!

Ubee congratulations on your BMi, that's awesome progress. I get how you feel. It's hard to face what we really did to our bodies, and I for one dealt with some pretty extreme shame over being so proud of my losses when I'm still so big. But, progress is progress, and it takes effort, so thank yourself for showing up.

I'm up with water weight, 378. Thus is my last month before one year, and the last week I'm travelling, so I have to make the next 21 days count.

After my nap though. Canada Day with my nephews and the dog wore me out.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #7  

Welcome Garnet! Congratulations on your success and may it continue. We are glad to have you join our group. I find posting often helps me to stay focused.

Jane, thanks for reminding I should treat myself as I would a friend. Happy Canada Day! Look out, I think that dog has cast a spell on you! I find water weight interesting. I only recently started to weigh myself daily. I am amazed at how it can jump all over. FYI I read your thread about looking lumpy I can relate except for I notice more divots. I am also often fascinated by the way my body is changing it is like a science experiment.

Thanks for being here. Ubee

Last edited by Ubee; 07-01-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #8  

Hi Everyone,

Have any of you realized with this journey you are stepping out of your comfort zone more often? If so how? I was reading about how we need to do this to successfully lose weight.

I know joining this site was a huge jump out of my zone. Ordering salads that I love when everyone else is pigging out took me out of my zone. Starting to not dress in sacks is out of my zone. I wonder if this is holding me back with my exercising.???

I will need to stay busy today. It has cravings/temptation written all over it.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #9  

Good morning......and I mean that most sincerely as it's actually cool out there this morning as opposed to the blast furnace we had for a couple of days. Means I actually want coffee this morning......and me caffeinated is a good thing.

Jane -- I think that your doggie has managed to paw his way into your heart. I bet he's adorable with those sad eyes and long ears. Sounds like you had a good day with Canada Day and being with your nephew. And you have every right to be proud of your weight loss -- no need for shame. You remain one of my inspirations.

Ubee -- Hang in there. Dealing with the ghosts of our past is one of the hardest things to do. Don't know if this will help, but when I'm really troubled I write down what's bothering me, has hurt me, emotionally crippling me, etc. Usually I'm crying the whole time. When it's done, I put it away in my sorrow box. I've never taken one back out to re-read. It's like I'm trying to bury those feelings so that I can move on.

Love your post about changes and coming out of our comfort zone. Well, the most obvious one would be getting up out of my recliner and doing more. Talk about being literal! Then's there's the looking up menus online before going to a restaurant so I can calculate the calories in a meal and pre-pick.....as opposed to ordering the most calorie laden item on the menu. And signing up for -- and actually going -- to this Yoga class for the permanently inflexible. And allowing me to be in a family picture. But when I really think about it, it's not coming out of my comfort zone, it's revisiting my old comfort zone when I used to do all that stuff. It kind of feels like I'm reconnecting with an old friend like you do at a class reunion!

Speaking of which, I had lunch yesterday with a friend from high school from 46 years ago! Great time and we both had salads! The morning was filled with the yoga class and I have to say that I was only in moderate pain from stretching. Now, I just need to do this during the week.

Guess I'd better get going on the day. Now that's it's cooled off enough to be outside again, there's more yard work. Have a good one.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #10  

Jane and Ubee, thank you for the welcomes!

While I know that temperatures are sweltering in the South and the Southwest, I have to say that I'm really enjoying this Summer thus far here in Michigan. It is much cooler than it was last year. When I was walking from my car into work this morning, the temp was in the low 60s. The forecast is for a high in the mid 70s. I grew up in Phoenix, AZ and I've had several lifetimes worth of heat. I love these kind of temps!

Last edited by Garnet2727; 07-02-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #11  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Betsey That's pretty neat that you could connect with someone you've known that long. Old friends are the best.

Garnet I know what you mean about the heat. Although I find that I handle it much better now that I'm smaller.

Just got back from the dentist, and the freezing hasn't worn off yet. The good new is though, that aside from a quick check up again in September, I'm DONE. No more extractions, no more fillings. These last 7 months of dental visits have not been fun. I brought it on myself though. I'm going to take much better care of my teeth and my diet now. Next step is eyes. I actually had them tested about four years ago, got glasses, and then never wore the darn things after about six months. I found a pair when I was painting, and I'm testing them out today. I'm truing to train myself not to look over and under the frames. When I can talk again, I'll call the optometrist.

Weight is still up, but there's a huge difference between April's progress pictures and yesterday morning's. Maybe it's the yoga? Wishful thinking? I'm smaller through the rib cage and my belly seems to be pulling up. I did measure, but I could only find a difference in my thigh measurements, so clearly it's parts of my body not often measured that are shrinking.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #12  

You ladies are inspiring. I'm just starting out with trying to take baby steps towards being healthier. A few days ago, I put myself on a plan of working out everyday. My goal is to build up to 30 minutes per day, every day. Mostly I've been riding my recumbent bike for 20-25 minutes, but yesterday I went on a walk. The walk was only 15 minutes, but the last 5 was climbing up a steep hill in my neighborhood. I managed to do it without passing out, but it was like WHOA. I started tracking my food (without really making changes yet) on myfitnesspal.com yesterday.

Also, I found out good news today. My significant other's workplace is starting up a WW meeting at their work, so the price will come out of her paycheck. We will be starting on July 15th. Yay!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #13  

Good morning!

Garnet -- I completely understand about loving to live someplace with lower summer temperatures. I grew up in central Illinois where hot and humid were the descriptors. Now that I live in the NW, summer is just heaven. Enjoy the weather!

Jane -- When you say you're doing a complete body make over, you're not kidding. So glad for you that the dental work is over and you can move on to getting your eyes checked. That shouldn't be as expensive and hopefully not as long in duration as the dental work. How's your new furry friend doing?

Bittersweet -- Welcome. Sounds like you're doing all the right things to get started and having a chance to go to WW is great. Keep us updated!

In to town to get groceries today as my younger nephew is coming out for dinner tomorrow and to watch the fireworks. Lots of family events coming up now, so hopefully I'll be able to stay pretty much on plan. I am about due to lose a pound or two as my body has adjusted to the latest loss. I feel like a car with watered down gas -- go, stop, go, stop, go ..... let's end this on a go moment.

Have a great day!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #14  

Jane - UGH! Dental work, ugh! *full body shudder and a hug if it's welcome*

Bittersweet red - Hi there! It's great that you can start WW now. I've had a lot of success with that program although I just do online. I don't do so well in meetings with people...

Betsy - have fun tomorrow!

My plans for tomorrow are to just be lazy for most of the day. Then, after dusk, several families in our neighborhood will get together to set off fireworks in the street. We're storing the fire works on our property right now and lemmee tell you, we have a lot. We're all very safety conscious so it should be loads of fun.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #15  

Hi Everyone!

Betsy, glad you got to connect with your friend. I'm also glad you have your new yoga friends. They make me smile! I am so impressed by you. I think you are great!

Garnet, I am glad you are enjoying your cool weather. I love Arizona. (In the winter.)

Jane, I'm proud of you for putting so much effort into improving your health. You are a strong woman and I am happy to be a part of your journey!

Bittersweat, I am happy for you and your SO. It is so much easier to have your partner on board. You can both do this!

I will be taking a break to deal with a medical issue. Just picture me on the caboose, dangling my feet over the edge enjoying the scenery. Thank you for all your support so far. Keep this train chugging and save me a seat. I'll be back! Ubee
Closed Thread