View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 05:08 AM   #69
amy180

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
BUT ... if you're taking long walks or hikes, you're probably not working at that high of an intensity. There's no way that I can walk fast enough to get my heart rate nearly that high - at 4.0 MPH, I barely crack 108, so it's low intensity exercise for me.
thanks for that info. I was just about to say I definitely did more than that last time I lost a lot of weight, and my body composition improved, but I wasn't doing most at my target heart rate, I did a lot of walking and lifting and such. Definitely no more than an hour running per day, anyway. ^_^

Other than that, I am still a bonehead for doing upright rows and behind the neck presses, apparently. lol. I will have to work on that. ^_^

Quote:
Strength training is meant for strengthening and building muscle, not slimming down. I'm assuming this article was meant for women only? I've actually started reading men's weightlifting magazines because of this issue.
Yeah that got me too. I know that women don't build muscle as much or in the same way, but I started reading more online articles aimed for men. Ever since junior high all I've really wanted is some upper body strength. ^_^ And personally I don't care if my thighs are tiny, I'd just as soon have muscles in them again like when I used to run cross country in high school. Those were the days.. [sigh]

But yeah, the article seems to just be saying that spot-reducing doesn't work. I know that. Only time my legs slimmed down noticeably was from running a lot, which was because the muscles were toned and I lost fat from everywhere, not just legs.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote