Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 365/270/160

Height: 5"11'

Hmm...I don't know, my opinion is wavering a bit here and there. I know you're supposed to do weights first and then cardio but how do you deal with jello leg syndrome? After my lower body workout I can barely walk, and feel lucky if I can stumble 30 mins through even a treadmill...I'm thinking of doing my cardio in the morning (To give myself energy to get through the day) and do my weight lifting at night....does that sound ok? Also with the twist and ductors I'm really fond of these. I really feel the burn in specific muscles. Do they actually hurt anything?
TheTinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #92  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinGirl View Post
Hmm...I don't know, my opinion is wavering a bit here and there. I know you're supposed to do weights first and then cardio but how do you deal with jello leg syndrome? After my lower body workout I can barely walk, and feel lucky if I can stumble 30 mins through even a treadmill...I'm thinking of doing my cardio in the morning (To give myself energy to get through the day) and do my weight lifting at night....does that sound ok? Also with the twist and ductors I'm really fond of these. I really feel the burn in specific muscles. Do they actually hurt anything?
I think splitting your routine morning and night is a great idea and recommended if you have the time to do that, most of us only have time to do one or the other. When I do cardio on leg days I do the biking only but most of the time I am so burned after a leg workout that I don't do cardio, let your body guide you...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:23 AM   #93  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

Ok. I use to go to this workout class called intermediate aerobics at my college. And I lost SOOO much weight in like 2 months. We worked out for 90 minutes. Yes I lost weight but I lost a TON of muscle too! I looked alright. My legs were "scrawny" and I didnt like it. So I believe her. Cardio DOES take away muscle mass if you do it too long! SO I do CARDIO 3 times a week and WEIGHT AND RESISTANCE training 3 times a week. Off most sundays. And my legs are tighter.

Like they say. The proof is in the "pudding". And that's exactly what you will look like! lol.
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

So i'm thinking that the article is only partially true and partially opinion, this reminds me of the posting on the (i'm paraphrasing here 'complete uselessness of strength training on machines vs. free weights'. So for those of us who do use regularly or occasionally machines for our strength training perhaps it is good to incorporate the abductor exercises into our routine so they at least get worked and those who do free weights or free standing exercises it is mostly likely entirely unnecessary as they are worked through exercises like lunges/squats etc...

but to completely dismiss ab/ductor exercises is idiotic to me. Just like you do different exercise for your abs, for lower, upper and obliques, even though you really exercise the entire muscle its just the muscles fibers on one end or the other get worked harder, I think the same concept could be applied to this debate on the ab/ductors. Really it's like saying don't do any 'lower' abdominal exercises, which I doubt anyone would think was sound advice.

I never really did the ab/d machines cuz it always was uncomfortable to me. I do however add in some low-pulley leg raises (to the side and in) standing next to a low-pulley with a cuff attached to my ankle at a comfortable weight. I can definitely tell those target my inner/outer thing MUSCLE, because they get that wonderful lactic acid ache the next day. I'm not doing it to 'spot reduce' as I figured most people unless they have lived under a rock for the last 20 years know that is impossible! BUT I do it to strengthen my leg muscles so I have more overall power and tone in them.

It is good to know however that proper form in strength training is evolving, just like when they made us do the hurdler stretch in gym class then one year decide it was bad for us and we did the modified-hurdler stretch. Raising awareness on certain methods of exercising/stretching a muscle that can actually cause more damage is really good (like don't do the lat-pull down behind your neck! or don't extend your knee past your toe/ankle when doing lunges!), but you shouldn't make it seem that doing any exercise for that muscle is useless.

I think perhaps that is what is causing most of the confusion in this thread. The article would be more clearer if it had more context.

Last edited by Platinum; 01-28-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #95  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonecinder View Post
My question after reading is:

Okay, but what exercises SHOULD we be doing for the inner and outer thighs? I realize no exercises spot-treat, but what if you're honestly looking to tone, tighten, and strengthen as part of an overall fitness regime? I used to love the way the thigh machines made my legs FEEL at the gym, but I only had a trial membership and didn't do them enough to notice huge changes. Heh.

Same for waistline though. I know total weight loss is needed for a slimmer waist, but how to strengthen that area if not twists? Just let us know.
The best exercises for inner and outer thighs are squats, lunges, any and all varieties, and there are MANY just Google. You can and should exercises the inner and outer thigh to round off your leg workout but don't expect it to thin out your legs. Only cardio will burn the fat and expose the muscles hidden. For a leaner waist again cardio will burn the fat. BUT to strengthen your core and make you look taller and slimmer core exercises are important. Again you can Google this. Many of these exercises can be done at home too ... Hope this helps...
Old 09-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I like the adductor, abductor, and side bends. But I knew better than to think they'd reduce the size of those areas. As for the seated rotation machine, I tried it once and it felt awesome. It was just a really intense workout. But I spoke with my wellness coach about it shortly after and she told me how easy it is to injure yourself on that machine. So I've avoided it since. I see people using bad form on it all the time and it makes me cringe!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #97  
Exercising to a better me

S/C/G: 237/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Wow! I've read this whole topic from start to finish and as a beginner I wanted to say thanks for all of the great info!
Britt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #98  

Hey this is great, i used to do mostly the exersices from this.but some are new for me.
Dollar hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #99  

Cardio for fat loss is the way to do it. But some people overdo it. A gradual exercise curve is better at achieving results than taking all in one stride.
ErwinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 197/195/145

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the great article and helpful comments.
I have concluded that i will continue abductor/adductor workouts since I enjoy horseback riding and can always use help strengthening leg muscles!

I will however ditch the ab machine and do a captain's chair or bicycle maneuver instead.
I'm also ditching the seated rotation machine, I never felt it in my midsection either, mostly my shoulders and arms from trying to stabilize.
Sarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #101  
Because I Can

Height: 5'6"

You can do plie squats for your inner thighs and side kicks or standing leg lifts for your hip abductors. My thighs have been burning for 2 days from doing the abductor machine at my gym.
MelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #102  

S/C/G: ticker

does anyone know any good exercises for the thighs then?
i was a fool and used to do the abductor and adductor machines for the thighs... no more after reading the article!
but other than cardio (i do the elliptical, walking, upright bike and so on) so that obviously works my thighs, but any other machines such as weights or whatnot?

(thighs are my problem areas!)
missyRxOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #103  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyRxOx View Post
does anyone know any good exercises for the thighs then?
i was a fool and used to do the abductor and adductor machines for the thighs... no more after reading the article!
but other than cardio (i do the elliptical, walking, upright bike and so on) so that obviously works my thighs, but any other machines such as weights or whatnot?

(thighs are my problem areas!)
Any and all variations of squats and lunges will help a LOT
Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #104  

S/C/G: ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Any and all variations of squats and lunges will help a LOT
okay will do more of those, thanks!

BTW, your name is one letter off of mine... my name is Irene haha
missyRxOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #105  

a good follow up to this would be 10 excercises that are the best to do...
nurseamber is offline   Reply With Quote