Old 05-07-2006, 05:36 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I never used to be a runner in any shape or form...long distance that is. I'd sprint...LOVED and was very good at sprinting but distance runners were like a foreign species to me lol.

I started walking and loved that and my pace was always very fast (about 8kms/hr or 5mph) And then quite randomly one day I just FELT like running and so I did and just kept going and going...I guess now i'm running about 10kms most days and absolutely loving it (takes about 50mins).

I'd go further but unfortunately it's going into the dark months down here and by the time I get home from work its already pitch black. Having said that there is something very soothing about running in the dark. It feels even more like it's just you out there...very relaxing.

I never ever thought i'd love running this much!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #17  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

I ran 1 mile without stopping last night!
That is soo much for me.
About a month ago i couldn't even do 1/3 of a lap without getting winded.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #18  

Doesn't it suck when your lungs keep you from going longer, but your legs aren't tired...the story of my life!!! I'm going for a run now...adios!
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #19  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Good run this morning, improved my times. I was going strong, did the incline twice and was aiming for the 4 lenght when a horrible stitch struck... Which is a shame, I was doing so well.

Hopefully the weather will be good on Wednesday morning again, I have a chance to get to the trail by the river again, and I'd like to make use of it!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 AM   #20  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Well wk3day1 of the c25k program for me. I have been sticking with my goal of taking at least one of my weekly runs outside. This week should be no different. I am going to get a run in today. If it is nice enough I would love to go run at the trail down by the river. Everytime I have wanted to run outside it seems like the weather has been so iffy so I have had to do it on a track at the highschool so as to be near to my car if it started pouring. The great news it that my feet no longer bother me when I run and I can really feel my endurance improving. It makes me so proud...I am a RUNNER! I still cannot believe it.

maja - ofcourse jogging counts. Thats awesome you got in a mile non stop. I am right there with you girly...But doesn't it feel so good when you are done BECUASE it is so hard. Also After I run I feel like all the places I am trying to target are sore...feels better than other forms of cardio.

sushi - That sucks the stopwatch still has to be carried. I am saving up for one of those watches that charts your prgress , keeps track of your heart rate etc...Thats awesome you figured out the problem, now you can get back to normal. I read on a running site that stitches are usuallly from irregular breathing. If you keep running at a slower pace and really focus on normal sized rhythmic breatsh they will go away. I try to focus on my breathing and hardly ever get them now.

spill - yeah I have noticed even in their strength training workouts Shape seems to assume their readers are in muuuuuuch better shape than they really are. SOme of their stuff is super hard. Sounds like you have a plan for yourself though.

denise - YAY I am starting week three this week as well. I would love to hold each other accountable. Do you do your running outside on on a treadmill?

lyria - what a pretty username btw. I wish that I could just start running and be great at it lol, seems like an uphill battle for me.

pilatesgrl - love your avatar it is so summery...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #21  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Hey there everybody, I talked to my stepdad who is a doctor and told him i was doing a jogging program. He said it is VERY VERY important to make sure you do plenty of strengh training for your quads (to avoid runners knee injury). He recommended sets of leg lifts and that sort of thing. Just thought i'd let anyone (especially beginners like me!) know who aren't aware of the knee injury thing.

Stephie- i did w3d1 this morning, it went well, i definately could feel the increase! I always jog/walk outside (no treadmill), but i really enjoy outside anyway. I also try to walk or hike on my "off" days. Do you have anything specific you do on non-running days?
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #22  

stephiewilliams - Haha. I love how my butt and thighs jiggle when i run. As funny as that sounds. That's when i know i am getting a great butt/thigh workout. They are nice and tight the next day.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Stephie: It appears as though I could just start and be good at it but the truth is I did a LOT of hard and fast power walking for a long time before attempting to jog.

Walking may be less intense than jogging but it sure does increase your fitness significantly over time and is much easier on the joints. I guess that I can go from walking to jogging with no apparent difficulty is testimony to the power of the humble walk!

Lyria

Oh...and thankyou about the name lol, Lyria was a character in a story I wrote years ago!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #24  
Lose that Baby Weight!

Ok so I am done with my w3d1 training run. I am such a baby...I kept telling myself NOT to look down at the countdown on the treadmill as I was doing the longer running intervals...it just makes it so much worse when you know how much longer you have to go. This workout was really challenging for me. When I hopped off the treadmill I was covered in sweat. I can workout for like an hour on the eliptical and not break a sweat. I tell you girls this is going to be great for me if I can master it. The sense of accomplishment I get after I complete a training run....is awesome. Also it feels like a commitment to me and much less than an exercise program. Man I thought my schedule was getting back to normal...I had no idea what crazy was. I will stick with this though.

denice - ok w3d1 in the bag for me too...Man I have to be honest after the last interval of running I was about ready to die. Nice change of pace from last week when the workout wasn't near as challenging. This week is going to be tough though.

maja - Thats so funny, I love that jiggling to makes you aware the right parts are getting their metaphorical butts kicked.

lyria - I am a big fan of walking, however if I could conquer running I would be a workout goddess
Old 05-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #25  

hahaha.

I got in at 11:55 for my mile yesterday. WooooHooo!!!
First time under 12 minutes in years.
I was red as a beet.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 AM   #26  
Lose that Baby Weight!

Ok wk3d2 over and done with. Took it outside yesterday. Man oh man, I always underestimate how hard it is running outside. I can feel it everywhere but especially in my tush this morning. I was once again winded and dying by the end of the last running interval. I hate to say it but I may have to repeat this week. Maybe I will have a peek at what is in store for next week. If it is a gradual challenge I may be up for it.

denice - nothing specific, usually just whatever my schedule permits. If there is a class I want to do I do that, if strength training is needed for the week then I do it. I am going to try to do spinning on my days off if I can ever get this schedule back to normal.

maja - you go girl, I think running may be a destresser for you
Old 05-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #27  
back at it

I got w3d2 jog in yesterday evening also, yeah, i got my butt kicked a bit too, i did the loop I always do, but in the reverse direction and it somehow seemed like more uphill than the other direction-oh well. Hopefully i'll get d3 in tomorrow. Also, my arms and legs have been really achy after running, it doesn't even feel like muscle soreness, just achy, does anyone else experience this?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:30 AM   #28  
Run Forest Run!

Hi everyone!

I hope I can jump in here on this thread.

Im in week 3 of a 6 week 5k programme. Its going well so far. I can definetly feel my endurance increasing. This morning I was able to run for 24 minutes with only 3 minutes of walking during that. Thats a record for me! A couple of months ago i couldn't even run for 1 minute without getting winded!

I've also signed up for a 5k run on the 4th June which coincides exactly with the end of my 6 week programme. Its great motivation to keep going but im very very scared at the same time!

EEK!
bone idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #29  
Lose that Baby Weight!

OK I am behind, god isn't this the story of my life? I need to get wk3d3 in today and then squeeze wk4d1 in tomorrow. That way I can run tues, thurs and sat and have days off in between wk4 sessions. I know I am going to need them lol I am already expecting to get my butt handed to me. Should be good though I need a kick in the pants with my cardio and I am actually looking forward to it. Onward and upward right? Its ONLY running - lol if this were only true. This is a battle, a hard one for me and I am **** bent on winning. How is it going with you ladies?

denice - ready to get to those week 4 runs! Not me, but I am going to suck it up and progress Are you stretching before you run and making sure to do the 5 min warmup? Might be your muscles are cold when you are running - that can make them sore/stiff

done idle - jump right on in girly! A 6 week program eh? I am on an 8 week one that is kicking my butt currently. Thats so awesome that your 5k is on the same date as your being ready according to your program.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #30  
back at it

stephie-i did w3d3 today, finally! I hadn't run since last wednesday and it was sooo hard today I've been really sore the last few days, I went hiking on saturday with my husband and a few friends and we got lost and ended up hiking about 7(?) miles! I think i'm going to do w3 pattern this week again, i really feel like i had a hard time today and need to do 2 more days like this. good luck with your w3d3!