Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #361  

S/C/G: 172/148/136

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
I'm gearing up for my first 10k tommorow morning. It's apparently one of the most difficult courses in NJ b/c it's so hilly. I'm seriously going to die..... I can barely run 2 miles forget about 6.2. Hopefully it goes well. my running buddy said after running this race I will lose 4 pounds. That would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath.
Sending positive running vibes your way! Even trying to run a 10k is a major accomplishment, you should be very proud of yourself!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #362  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

thanks so much for the encouragement guys .

I'm now showered, sore, and in my new gray 10k t-shirt. Gearing up for a long day of college football on the couch .

I finished in 1 hour 21 min. More importantly I beat at least 2 people (yay for not being last).The smaller race (~200 people) consisted mostly of serious runners. At the start line I tried to size people up looking for older or overweight people I may be able to beat. There wasn't much encouragement. My fear of finishing last distracted me from feeling self conscious and fat

I was last for most of the race. I kept telling myself a phrase I heard on here "no matter how slow you go, you're lapping everyone on the couch." I thought of myself not as being last but as beating everyone on the couch. It seriously helped. I used my heart rate monitor and tried really hard to leave some gas in the tank. Then at mile 4 I took off for a light 7-8 min jog and passed 4 people (though 2 may have not been with the race). Then I jogged as much as I could toward the finish line. I'm really pleased with my result.

Last edited by Scarlett; 09-10-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #363  

S/C/G: 193/157.4/145

Height: 5'6

COngratulations Scarlett

It is quite an accomplishment. I have signed up to a 5k in November and I cant run a mile at all but i am looking forward to the preperation because I have 8 wks to go
Old 09-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #364  
Insanity Round 3!!!!

S/C/G: 168/134/138

Height: 5'6"

Scarlett-THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job on finishing that race . You SHOULD feel amazingly proud of yourself. 10k is FAR and it is great that you were able to finish and keep yourself positive and motivated throughout the race. For me, running was always about beating ME not other people because when I started out, I wasn't going to beat many people lol. Over the years (now into about 6 years of distance running) I feel so happy when I beat MY personal best and don't worry about other people. You are doing a great thing for YOU so you go girl!!!!!!!

Ladies, I am so amazed by everyone's progress (except me TOM skewed my weigh in lol) and how well the competitive challenge mentality helps . Hoping everyone's weekend stays OP and we all see great losses this week .
Old 09-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #365  

Dranaeli - thanks a lot. I'm sure you'll do great. These races seem so scary and intimidating when you sign up, but when you get there it's not that bad. Believe me, if I can do it anyone can. I started in May at 216 pounds, could not have been more out of shape, and never ran outside in my life.

Munstermommy - Thanks for the congrats. I hope my post didn't come off wrong. I don't feel like I need someone else to lose to feel like a winner. Like I said I know whatever place I come in, I'm "lapping everyone on the couch." I was just really scared of this race. It was advertised as one of the toughest 10k courses in NJ b/c of the hills. I knew not many casual runners would be there. I kept having visions of myself walking across the finish line a half hour after everyone finished. It just felt good to be able to stick with the crew in the back of the pack and not finish last. I usually run very large 5ks with 1000-2000 people. During those I don't give the people around me and how many I beat a single thought. Hope you're having a good week .
Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #366  
LGW
#justfortoday

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'

Scarlett: thanks for the spreadsheet! I love seeing the rewards!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #367  

S/C/G: 224/188/147

Congrats Scarlett

Fair play to you girl... enjoy the loss after
Old 09-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #368  
Never, never, never quit.

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
thanks so much for the encouragement guys .

I'm now showered, sore, and in my new gray 10k t-shirt. Gearing up for a long day of college football on the couch .

I finished in 1 hour 21 min. More importantly I beat at least 2 people (yay for not being last).
Wow. You made it in good time.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #369  

S/C/G: 172/148/136

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I was last for most of the race. I kept telling myself a phrase I heard on here "no matter how slow you go, you're lapping everyone on the couch." I thought of myself not as being last but as beating everyone on the couch. It seriously helped. I used my heart rate monitor and tried really hard to leave some gas in the tank. Then at mile 4 I took off for a light 7-8 min jog and passed 4 people (though 2 may have not been with the race). Then I jogged as much as I could toward the finish line. I'm really pleased with my result.
Congrats!!! I know what you mean about the stresses of being last--in high school P.E. we had to participate in a community 5K at the end of every school year and I was always at the very back of the pack. But I always tried to remember that same sentiment, that at least I was out there running a 5K and that was not true of everyone!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #370  

Scarlett you are my inspiration I know some day you will be one of the first to finish the 10k just keep being so brave!!
I'm back at home, feeling sick to my stomach all the time. I don't know what it is.. I'm hungry but I feel so full and bloated and after I eat I feel even worse. I hope it gets better soon.
Another exciting week starts tomorrow. Have fun girls
Old 09-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #371  

S/C/G: 233/200/145

Height: 5'6

Go Scarlett,GO!! That is sooooooo GREAT!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #372  

thanks so much guys, it seriously means a lot.

Yesterday after my race I pigged out a bit (as I do after every race ). I ate almost a whole pizza for lunch and dinner (and enjoyed every bite ).

Then I woke up this morning and had the last slice for breakfast with my coffee. The weather is cold and rainy, I'm having one of those days where I want to curl up on the couch and do nothing but eat. Coming on here and seeing all the encouraging posts got me to force myself to salvage the rest of the day. I told myself I wouldn't eat anything else for the next 4 hours and basically sat on my hands. Tomorrow I'll be back on the wagon completely.

I've been weighing in on Mondays, but I may give myself an extra day or two if I need it. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow. I was up 2 pounds today but I'm sure most of that is water weight from all the pizza.

Last edited by Scarlett; 09-11-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #373  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone!

I'm back from my holidays with a 4lb gain from 2 weeks ago, but I've been back on plan all day and hoping some of that comes off in the next few days! I didn't give a care to what I ate on holiday, but I did walk and/or swim for at least half an hour nearly every day in the blazing sunshine, and I've come back feeling positive and motivated! Couldn't quite face the gym this morning but think I'll try and go tomorrow. I'm also thinking I might walk part of the way home tonight, around 4 miles. I don't have running shoes so it would only be walking briskly, but I feel like that's better than nothing right?

Scarlett Congratulations on the 10K! What an amazing achievement. You've given me the motivation to get running again. I really don't like running outdoors but the one 5K I've done I loved. Maybe I need to look for a different place to run...

Hi to everyone else, I'll try and catch up gradually now I'm back to the daily grind!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #374  

Why oh why does everything shrink but my THIGHS?!?! I have been reading that hormone levels (and genes) define where we store our fat. And of course I have an endocrine disorder and I'm on steroids for my whole life.. So thank you mother nature for that!! AAArrrghh.. I've been doing measurements and not a single whole inch went from my thighs. I just don't get it!! Do I really have to be 120 to see my legs?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #375  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by khat View Post
Why oh why does everything shrink but my THIGHS?!?! I have been reading that hormone levels (and genes) define where we store our fat. And of course I have an endocrine disorder and I'm on steroids for my whole life.. So thank you mother nature for that!! AAArrrghh.. I've been doing measurements and not a single whole inch went from my thighs. I just don't get it!! Do I really have to be 120 to see my legs?
I feel the same way. I'm in the 120's now and my thighs still rub against one another when I walk. I did lose a couple of inches but then that stopped for 2 months now.
Closed Thread