Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 01:25 PM   #31  
hottie in training

hey everyone.

i don't know if it's a fluke or what, but i weighed myself yesterday & i lost 3 pounds. i guess all this thinking about losing weight has actually made me lose weight! hehehehhee.
i still haven't completely ruled out doing WW (rejoining) although my practical side thinks it's a waste of $$ since i already have the whole plan (points info, calculator, etc). plus i am thinking, christmas is coming, i need new tires (FOR REAL!), my car insurance is due....
so more or less for this moment i'm thinking just going to journal, cut down on sweets (soda for example), And try to incorporate the small change of insisting on 2 fruits/2 veggies per day. when i say journal, i just don't mean writing down what i eat. i mean writing down all my feelings on the subject as well.
lucky, to answer your question, i think WW costs the same everywhere, but here it is $12/week. you can save $$ if you pay for like 3 months-12 months in advance. also, when you get to your goal weight (what they call lifetime) i think you can continue to go for free as long as you don't go 2# over your lifetime weight. you earn activity points like 1 point for each 20 min of moderate aerobic exercise. you can use these points for food. i kind of don't follow the AP side but i guess i could.
FM, i think i'll have some "personal" time this weekend, actually not alone. a friend is going to visit from out of town, and i'm sure we'll have lots of "girl time". my bf insists that we go out without him for that reason. so that will be nice. we haven't had this much time alone since we both left college (we were roomates).
well i better go do some work.
ttyl,
jenn
Old 09-10-2002, 01:27 PM   #32  
hottie in training

monique-
i know plateaus can be really hard. when i was in WW in 99, i got to 153 & i kind of just stuck there for a while...that's when i basically quit going to the meetings because i thought i could do it all alone...but looking back i was probably just frustrated with the plateau!
how did you do yesterday? did you journal?
Old 09-10-2002, 01:41 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 154/144/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi All!

Guess what! I managed to do all 4 things yesterday and I'm well on my way to accomplishing it today!! YAY!! This is truly turning out to be a good week for my weight loss plans. I haven't weighed since Sept 3rd, so I still have about week to go before I weigh gain...but I just feel so much better. Getting rid of that cold helped too. I hope everyone's day is going great!!

Jenn-- Wow! That skirt sounds nice. I wouldn't worry too much about the Jr. Size being an 11 from my understanding of fashions that is actually a woman's 9. Right? Which is still not bad!! And I completely agree with you about how sizes are screwy. I have the same deal some shorts and stuff that are size 6 fit just fine, but others it takes a 10 in...to fit right. I truly don't believe I will ever understand how clothes are sized. Because the sizes don't mean that they will fit a certain way.

Also I think that FM gave you some good advice. Even if your coupon expires and you go talk to the WW people they may cut you a good deal. So take your time, think things through and go with what seems right, when you are certain what you want to do. In other words, don't rush simply because you have the 1/2 off coupon. Because things will work better if you are more sure in the long run which way you want to go with things.

Lucky- Good job with sticking with your eating plan yesterday. Did you make it to the gym yesterday too. I know what you mean about getting upset with yourself for not meeting your goals. I'm the same way. But I'm trying to look at things more as each day is a new opportunity, and there will be days that I simply can't meet all the goals I set. And that's okay...but striving toward them is the important thing. And if I see each day as a new beginning and new chance to meet my four points, I'm more likely to actually accomplish them. Does that make sense?

FM- I'm so sorry to hear about your sunburn. Hopefully the burn will fade quickly. I think you deserve 3 cheers for pushing through with a short walk when the sunburn is acting like it is! Good job for hanging in there!!

And the cat Rita sounds just absolutely adorable. I have 5 cats, right now. What can I say, I'm a soft touch. I rescued the Mom from the pound and then didn't have the heart to give her babies away. So now we are all one great big happy family living in my house! You'll have to keep us posted on Rita. It definitely sounds like she would make a nice addition to your household.

Before I got these 5 cats, I had a Siamese Persian, Mister Cat, and he was my BABY!! He lived with me for a little over 4 years. And ran the household quite effectively. But he passed away last February. And so I got Emi to help out around the house. She provided me with the babies, surprise, surprise. I didn't know she was pregnant when I adopted her. And now we all live together. But the point of that was to say that Siamese cats are usually quite vocal and quite loving. So if y'all do end up with Rita, I look forward to hearing more about her.

As far as the exercise ball goes, I'm loving mine. I started the exercises with it today! And they were great and fun!! I'm so glad that I got this ball. Hopefully my little ones won't pop it, but I guess we shall wait and see.

Monique, that's exciting that you have a new exercise video and that it doesn't seem like working out using it. I used a video last night myself....and I was surprised, I had forgotten how challenging that particular one was and I had forgotten how much I didn't mind doing it. So that is something I will be doing more often as well.

Hang in there on the losing now. It will come, it really will. Have you considered taking on a different activity to boost your metabolism again. For instance when you hit the plateau and went walking and then hit one and took on the videos. Maybe take on something different like indoor swimming or biking? Just thoughts off the top of my head. I've been wanting to take on biking myself for a while, but I've got to invest in a bike first. Keep us posted. Hope that your day goes great! And yes I did do all 4 yesterday!!

Talk to you all soon,
Betty
Old 09-10-2002, 04:41 PM   #34  

Default *sigh*

I've been pretty depressed since Saturday. Dunno whats up. Its probably because I'm craving chocolate.. and I am so tired and the scale is showing a gain (aka TOM). So I am just taking it day by day and trying not to stress it so much.

I worked out last night... which was the first time since last Wed. I am not meeting really any of my goals yet. This is probably a turning point.. where I question if its possible to lose more and go on... or if I should just give up and try to stay this weight and not be happy.

I know the obvious answer. Just gotta get through this week.

I am putting away the scale until next Wednesday... its too depressing.

-Tanya
Old 09-10-2002, 05:01 PM   #35  

One plus of working late is getting a chance to respond to everyone.

Other plus is FINALLY, FINALLY my code works! This has been very hard, and I've had a lot of people who know much more than I do be completely stumped. It was a bunch of little things which added up in the most frustrating way.

But it's over! Now I can concentrate on my "real" project (this was a side thing to clean up some changes).

Monique - I love the foodmover, but I just could never get into Richard's videos. More power to you though, it's great when you can find an activity that burns calories without you constantly thinking, "Just five more minutes...".

I've been thinking about plateaus, and I am considering whether part of my problem is that walking just doesn't burn enough calories. I love it, so that's why I do it, but I think I need more.

I am going to play around with my videos, while still walking during a break at work, and try to get DH to say we can buy an exercise bike on Sunday.

BTW - how's the soda thing going? I bought myself diet cherry coke to change things up. It's not half as sweet as I thought it would be.

Jenn - 3 lbs, that's great!! And I think you have some great ideas to keep yourself going. Having a friend in town visiting sounds like a great weekend.

Betty - If we take in Rita, that will put us at 5 cats as well. Along with the dog, snake, and guinea pig! Two of the cats are kinda like Maine coons, which can be very vocal as well. So, I phoned DH and planted the idea that he could ask to "borrow" her for the night. We'll see if he brings her home...

Tanya - I'm sorry things are rough this week. It sounds like you are on track to just grit your teeth and see this funk out. Definitely put the scale away! I have stayed true to my 3x a week weigh-ins, but it has been tough! It probably says that I need to ingrain some healthy habits better, rather than let the scale dictate how I think I'm doing.

Does it seem to anyone that we've all been struggling lately? Can I just throw a little pity party for all of us right now and go on record as saying It's Not Fair! We're trying hard, working, going to school, exercising, caring for SOs, eating no where near what we'd like to be eating - even when we're not being letter perfect - so why can't we get a break, huh??? Is a few measely pounds too much to ask????

Ok. I'm done. Perhaps I should just shut up and eat my yogurt before the weightloss fairy puts a whammy on me. Have a good evening everyone!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:15 PM   #36  

Thanks FM. I hope it passes.. because deep down inside I know not to give up.. just with the addition of school in my life and moving.. I have less time to exercise and its more of a hassle to go (which is an excuse not to go).

So tell me abouut your code? What language are you writing it in?

-Tanya
Old 09-10-2002, 08:14 PM   #37  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Hello all

today has gone pretty well - i am a firm believer that staying busy at work all day is a definite helper!!

I did go to the gym last night - see, y'all kept me to it - I love it! I ran 6 miles in just under 60 minutes - that's pretty good for me. The most I've ever run is 7.5 miles - that took me about 78 minutes. - this is a little over my half marathon...

I have also decided to start lifting weights again a little bit - i have quite a bit of muscle already, but I will try to make my weight routine as more of a cardio workout than trying to make my muscles budge. Just got home from the gym - only ran 3 miles today - but, i think if i had tried to run more, i would have been way tired tomorrow...

I need to start dinner really soon - was going to order pizza for my fiance and his friend, but now I think i will go ahead and cook the chicken i was originally going to make!

FM - I love cats!! although mine ran away about 9 months ago and the fiance doesn't really care for them

Monique - stick to it!! Plateaus were made to be broken!

Tonic - good job on working out - you can get back into it!

Jenn - thanks for the info - I am still debating on whether to join or not also - i have all the stuff from when my parents did it a couple of years ago

Happy Tuesday!
Old 09-11-2002, 12:34 PM   #38  

DH brought Rita home last night. She seems very much at home exploring the bedroom. I want to keep her a few more nights, then try to introduce her to the gang. He wants to give her back tonight and talk about it.

All of our doors have a gap at the bottom, so everyone can get to know each other nose-to-nose. One problem is that DH's cat has a Napolean complex, and he feels that the bedroom is his territory. We'd prefer that he didn't feel that way - all of the animals should get equal "bed" time - so who knows what will happen.

The sunburn is starting to itch, so I think I am over the worst of it.

Food is right on target today, feeling pretty good about that (I'm ignoring the extra 1/2 lb. that showed up on the scale this morning). I'm wearing a red mini skirt (only thing I own that's red to be red/white/blue today) and looking pretty slim if you ask me, so that negates what the scale said.

BTW - I said I'd weigh 3 days a week, I didn't say I'd only weigh once on those 3 days! I did quite a scale dance this morning, grudgingly accepting the lowest number I could conjure up.

Tanya - I code in C++. I have no formal education in computers past two intro classes in college. I was hired for my math abilities (M.S. in Physics) during a S/W Engineer shortage. It was the perfect time to enter because they were just converting from Ada to C++, so I learned along with everyone else.

Are you feeling any better today?

Lucky - Wow! The most I've ever run is 1.5 miles. I actually hated the idea of running for a long time, I have no stamina. Then one summer while I was doing a lot of self-improvement/introspection, I decided I wanted to challenge myself to run a mile. I think it was one of the best decisions I ever made, what a rewarding high it was to accomplish that.

And good job with that chicken. I had a deli chicken for lunch the past two days, so last night I used the rest of the meat for tacos. I love to stretch food out like that.

Monique - Hehe. You are talking about how you only have a few months more to run outside, and I can't wait until in a few more months I can do more outside with out becoming a sweat puddle!

Have you tried those "walk away the pounds" videos? I wonder if I would get bored because I love to walk outside. But I bet I would get a higher intensity workout with them.

It's drizzling here, which I feel is appropriate. I just wish I was at home playing with the dog. Maybe I could convince DH to try and get that bike tonight...

Take care everyone.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:41 PM   #39  
hottie in training

Default hump day wednesday

oh, i am so tired today! i have been going to bed later than usual the last few days, and now i think it is catching up to me today. i feel like i have no energy!
speaking of running, i think that will be my exercise today. it is cooler out today than it has been in a while, so i thought i might as well take advantage of the nice weather & run/walk outside & enjoy the scenery, instead of being inside the gym. maybe i can get my bf to go with me. he hasn't been exercising since his 3 day stint last month!
lucky, 6 miles is awesome! i can do about 4 but i have to take a break in between for water. then the next 3 days i am beat! i guess if i ran more often (in place of step aerobics) my body would get used to it. my main problem is finding a pair of shoes that doesn't give me blisters. i just bought a pair of new balance shoes in may, and i hardly wear them because they always make my feet hurt. i even tried wearing two pairs of socks (thinking they were too big) but i still get small blisters. it makes me so mad, because you have to wear them a few times to know that they fit, but you aren't supposed to take them back after you've worn them! (i used to work in a shoe store, and even though people always tried to return worn items, i can't do it myself, unless it's damaged or something) on the treadmill i run a mile in a little under 10 minutes, this is at like 6.5 mph. i've never timed myself otherwise. i know in high school the "good" runners in gym class always ran a mile in like 6 minutes. yikes!
i am doing pretty good so far today with food. i had a small breakfast (cereal & milk) and a lean cuisine meal for lunch along with an apple. i guess that 10 points. add in a dr. pepper (bad i know!) and that is 13. i think because i'm so tired, i just craved the sugar this morning. that still leaves me 12 points for dinner. my bf is making his special chicken dinner tonight. i fear he will make biscuits as well. & they are so good. i guess one of them is probably 4-5 points, i don't know for sure. he makes them with bisquick mix. anyone know the calories in those kinds of biscuits?
Fm, i wish I could have a cat. I really like dogs, but i like cats too, and would love to have one in our apartment. we are not supposed to have pets but a lot of people do I am sure. & cats pretty much take care of themselves don't they. they are not as high maintence as dogs are.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:26 PM   #40  

well, all iwant to do is lose maybe 6/8 lb for the begginning of october because me and my husband are going away for a romantic weekend and i want to look good in a stunning black dress i have seen. ok its not alot of weight but its smaller than i am now!! a weekend without the kids. bliss!!!

welshbird
Old 09-12-2002, 08:23 AM   #41  

I didn't tell you I was thinking about this, because I didn't want to jinx myself, but I did it!

I went to step aerobics this morning.

I used to love this class, but the gym is close to my work, and the classes are at 6a.m. I have a 45 minute commute.

I stopped going when my back started bothering me, and never felt well enough since to brave that early morning walk up call.

But yesterday I made my lunch, packed my bag, and stuck my workout clothes right next to the toliet.

The alarm went off at 4:30. I turned it off. I got back in bed.

I had to pee. So, out of bed and into the bathroom. Since I made it this far, everything else was automatic pilot.

Funny thing, besides me there were two other women who were regulars of this class who decided today would be the day they returned. Perhaps 9/11 made us all re-commit to ourselves?

I used the small, baby step and didn't do too much, and so far my back is feeling OK. I won't really know until tomorrow.

I was looking for a change in my exercise routine. And I figured using the gym membership I already pay for would be better than spending $$ on a bike.

I will try to go all next week (4x Mon/Wed Body Pump and Tues/Thurs step) and then assess whether I can do this long term. If I do, here's an example of my Wednesday schedule:

4:30 - get up.
5:10 - leave house.
6:00 - gym class.
7:00 - shower.
7:30 - get to work.
4:00 - leave work.
4:45 - get home.
6:00 - volunteer at sanctuary.
7:30 - get home.
9:30 - go to sleep.

That's not much free time to get stuff done and bumps my bedtime up an hour, but on the other hand it eliminates having to motivate myself to workout in the evening.

To be honest, right now I am feeling horrible. Waking up that early is NOT fun. But I do have a wonderful sensation of satisfaction.

Monique - I think I will try to find those videos if these early classes don't work for me. Instructors personality does mean a lot, but for me it's also the music.

Jenn - how did dinner turn out last night? Any biscuits? I think I know the ones you're talking about - with herbs and cheese? I love that recipe!

And I don't know what we'll do when we move. We've lived in two apartments where we had two "legal" cats, and then two more. But now we have a dog as well! I think our next move will just have to be to own a house. A big house. I still want a greyhound.

welshbird - welcome! Your romantic weekend sounds divine. And 6/8 pounds is a lot of weight of lose, you should definitely see results. It's a pretty aggressive number for me, I can't lose that easy, so more power to you!

Do you have any specific things you are going to do to accomplish this? Food goals? Exercise goals? I find that when I concentrate on those goals, more than what the scale says, I have an easier time losing.

OK everyone, I'd just like to take up more space to apologize for taking up space. I know I am one of the more lengthy posters, and I try to keep it short, but I have no where else to say this stuff. So thanks for putting up with my ramblings!

Have a good day!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:38 PM   #42  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Hello all

made my chicken on Tuesday night like a good dieter...but i fell off the wagon last night for dinner...and i didn't work out either.

but, i got right back on and did fairly well today

problem is i am still putting on weight - i wore jeans today and normally they are not as tight as they were today - my legs have gotten bigger since i have been running - i don't understand!!

i stick to my diet 4-5 days a week, and on the days i mess up, it's not enough to add weight to my frame. plus, i burn about an entire pound of fat in exercise alone...puzzling!!

this is one of the reasons i have been hesitant to lift weights, but am hoping it will work out in the end.

really need to start looking for wedding dresses later this year (plus we need to set a date too - small details) - hence one of the reasons i have been trying to lose weight

work has been kind of stressful this week - my hard drive on my computer crashed on Monday and i have been attempting to catch up since then...

signed up for Race for The Cure today over here in Dallas - my company even pays my entry fee -

Running is definitely one of my favorite means of exercise - especially at the gym where i can watch tv!! it will be interesting when i get running outdoors again - i think once it gets a little cooler i will try to run one day outside...

Monique - congrats on the pound!!

Welshbird - welcome! good luck on your goal

FM - great job on the early morning thing - i don't think i could do that now - i have to be at work at 7:00am!!

good night to all!
Old 09-13-2002, 04:18 AM   #43  

hi there.

how do iplan on losing thios weight??!! im a member of a gym already so i am planning on goin alot more than once a week, maybe 3 or 4 times, if i can find the time!! ive done well this week on the eating thing, and have kept strictly to what the sw book tells me to do, so hopefully, fingers crossed ive lose a couple of pound this week, ill let youknow later cos its the weigh in day today!!

4.30 am to excersise aye! thats a bit to early for me, even 6 o clock. i have trouble getting up at 7.30 when my kids get up!!! i tried to do an excersise video at home. dont know if they work though. im determined to do it and hopefully see results.

as for where we are goin on this romantic wkend, i have no idea! no where far and somewhere that doesnt cost a fortune, itll be romantic whereever we go cos its our first time away from the kids. ill keep you posted!

welshbird.

ps. let you know what my weightloss is later on.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:23 AM   #44  

oh yeah, by the way, thankyou for thewarm welcome to everybody, its sooo nice to talk topeople who are goin through the same thing as me.

welshbird
Old 09-13-2002, 09:36 AM   #45  

Default Off the wagon

Lucky 13, I am right there with you with how frustrating it can be to work so hard most of the time, and the minute you mess up your clothes let you know, and also how running can make your legs bigger...that's why I switched to walking a few months ago. If I ate perfectly, I'm sure I could see the difference

We all fall off that wagon every now and then, I guess it's willpower is something that slowly has to build. Even if you catch yourself before you eat needlessly just once a day orsomething, that's awesome.

HAve a great weekend everyone!
Closed Thread