20-Somethings BL Corner Temporary forum for Biggest Loser Challenge

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Tuesday & Wednesday Question~ What is one exercise you have thought about trying, but have never gotten around to? Why?

There's actually a lot of things I've thought about but haven't done yet. Incorporating some sort of weights or strength training is something I've yet to do because I don't know where to start. I can't afford to get a gym membership and I can't afford any sort of trainer or anything - and I'd be worried about doing it wrong or injuring myself if I did something like that at home!

Also swimming - I like the idea of swimming as exercise, I used to swim a lot when I was a lot younger (like...between ages 6-14) but then I got too self-conscious about being in a bathing suit and I guess that is still my problem - that and I'm not overly confident in water anymore for some reason.

Yoga and pilates also - have thought about them being good for relaxation and improving posture but I'm also worried about my uncoordination - and again, the cost of a class/series of classes is something that worries me.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #137  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

an exercise i always wanted to try, but never have?

i always wanted to try going to classes at a gym. i think being with a group expecting me to be there, helps keep me accountable. same reason why this challenge and online accountable buddy system works.

and why haven't I?

it's 2 parts. lack of transportation, i still don't have my license. i seem to be the only adult in the U.S without one. i used to be afraid of learning, but i'm a lot better. last fall/spring i worked on learning to drive again. that's another thread.

and of course the cost. a gym membership or classes don't cost that much, but until recently we've been flat broke. so i can see it in the future, but not any time soon.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #138  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Tuesday & Wednesday Question~ What is one exercise you have thought about trying, but have never gotten around to? Why?

I really want to take a kickboxing class, but right now it's cost-prohibitive. Maybe in the future when we're a little more caught up on bills!

Okay, y'all - confession time...

So, remember how I came in here on Sunday, posting about how awesome I was feeling and how psyched I was about moving forward with this challenge.

One word... Porktropolis.

One of my co-workers is pregnant, and yesterday, the "baby" wanted barbeque for lunch, so a bunch of us went to check out this new restaurant called Porktropolis - aka - the biggest d*** portion of BBQ you can imagine, plus cheesy potatoes.

And if that wasn't enough, I came back from the restaurant with a craving for sweets (and a feeling that I'd already blown my diet), so I had a pack of Little Debbie cakes from the vending machine, and a bunch of chocolate and trail mix from the storage cupboard at work.

And wouldn't you know it, all of this fell on dinner club night. My husband and I were hosting last night, and he made a baked linguini with pork sausage (and like 1/2 pound of mozarella on top). Another girl brought a salad (thank jeebus!) and a big loaf of french bread, which we nibbled on for an hour while waiting for the last person, who brought - you guessed it - pork meatballs.

Is it really any wonder I feel like a pig today, considering how much pork I consumed yesterday?!?!?!

So now I'm having a totally fat day, although I'm trying to remind myself that one bad day won't blow my diet and that a lot of what I'm feeling is probably just the amount of sodium I had yesterday. Right now, I'm just feeling like, "Why bother? I'll probably just screw up all my hard work with junk food, so why not start now?"

Needing some serious strength today, ladies...
Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 143.8/131.2/120

Height: 5'7''

smisen- sounds like the perfect pork storm of blowing your diet! We have all been there (me too many times). Just get back on track today and soon you will forget about it!

katy trail- hopefully you can get to a gym soon for classes soon.

rainbowstripe- I have also wanted to do pilates. but I like cardio and don't think I have the patience for yoga and or pilates. To answer your question, I had a turkey sandwich and an apple. I need to pack a more filling lunch. But good news, I did ok the rest of the night and had a loss this morning! yaya

One of my faculty said I look so skinny today. It is really because of these jeggings I am wearing (jean leggings) that make me look slimmer, but still, made my day!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #140  
I CAN do this!

i won't be going to a gym at all any time soon. that doesn't bother me anymore though. i've accepted and embraced working out at home. i'm really excited for a 'real' workout room in the basement(hopefully we get a basement) in whatever house we move to. and now most classes are available on dvd. so if i wanted to do it i could just use the dvd.

smizen,
when i'm feeling fat the best thing to do is a great cardio workout- running, intervals, kick boxing, your fav. intense workout.
and some cleansing food. think sauted greens in garlic maybe a little ovoo. lentil soup ALWAYS makes me feel super healthy. energy. satisfied for a long time. and lentils don't give as much( or any in my experience) gas as other legumes. other types of veggies, soups, clean food would work. you want to refuel your body. and tea. lemon or mint tea.

i'm feeling great today, and yesterday. down a few pounds this morning. on that scale it's hard to see, but i think it was around 184. and today i can fit into a pair of dh's jeans. these are too big for him, but wearing even close to the same size shows i've made major changes. i'm feeling so motivated again. finally! i felt like slapping myself lately lol. snap out of it!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

I haven't posted in here much, but I'm trying to follow along. Thought I would take a stab at today's questions:

Zumba; I have no real reason for not trying it. It looks like a lot of fun whether you look good doing it or not. Usually I go to classes at the gym with my friend and she's not really into dance-y classes, so she won't check it out with me.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #142  

smisen Oh no, pork overload. Just keep reminding yourself that one day will not undo your diet, as you said. It's ok. We all take days off. I have taken more days off than I'd have liked to and still had good loss. Like katy trail said, eating some really good tasty healthy foods for the next couple of days will have you feeling a lot fresher and less like you consumed too much pork. Exercise is good too. Just keep on pushing at it!

JessieCat I wonder if perhaps I don't have the patience either for pilate or yoga haha - I definitely don't have the balance, though apparently they can improve that kind of thing? I dunno. Congrats on the compliment on looking skinny! I'm sure you're looking great!

katy trail Yay for the loss and for feeling good and motivated!!

audri I think if you want to try Zumba and your friend won't go with you, just go alone! I know that can be scary - but Zumba is really really fun and I think it's a good workout - and I would go alone if I had no one to go with!

~I'm feeling good ladies, down a little bit in weight today and am really on track with the exercise, just need to motivate myself to use the treadmill this afternoon!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

Rainbow - Maybe I will try it sometime. It does look fun. I could use some more danciness in my life, I used to get some of that from TurboKick, but my gym doesn't have that anymore. I do BodyCombat now, but it's not as dance-y.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #144  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

JessieCat - Aren't compliments from co-workers great?! I wish I could pull off the jeggings thing, but I just don't think it's in the cards for me...

Katy trail - How cool about the jeans! Glad to hear you're doing well!

Rainbowstripe - Did you make it to the treadmill yesterday?

Audri8301 - Definitely give Zumba a try - it's so much fun, and such a good workout!

Well, yesterday was a little bit better for me - I ate closer to maintenance calories than I wanted to, but at least it wasn't Porktropolis level Today is going to be a challenge, though - I'm traveling to a trade show for work, which means 4 hours in the car, plus "built in concession stands" at the convention center. Something tells me that's not going to be super healthy... I've got a few healthy snacks packed, and I'll keep my eyes open for a salad or a healthy sandwich or something once I get there.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #145  

smisen Any chance you could take some healthy stuff with you? Yeah I did make it onto the treadmill hah! Had some motivation from my ladies over in the 20somethings chat thread, they pushed me into it haha. Feels good - now I just have to find a similar kind of drive to get to it today!

~Weighed in lighter again today, yay. Unfortunately I am craving pasta - it has been a really long time since I've had it, and I want it. Trying to figure out what kind of pasta dish I can make that won't be too high in calories, and thinking maybe I should save it for dinner rather than lunch....but we'll see!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #146  

Hey girls!
Good luck the rest of the weekend with weight loss! I am leaving for Toronto tomorrow for a conference and won't be back til Sunday. And I have a cold...ugh! And I ate bad today but not horrendous.. just over my calories.. a mini binge but it wasn't a typical binge of no control, thousands of calories, just some extra snacks that i did not need in the least.

Talk to you soon!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #147  

p.s. leopardspots- not sure if i will be back to WI in enough time from Toronto. If I don't post on sunday, that means I'm not back but will definitely be WI'ing next week.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #148  
I CAN do this!

down to 185! woohoo!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'11

Hey teammates! Haven't posted in a while cause my computers getting fixed...I'm posting through my phone which is a little annoying but I missed this thread. Good job everybody on the weigh in on Sunday, first place wooohooo!! This week I haven't eaten the cleanest, had kind of a stressful week of school so this weekend I will be a sticker! I decided to measure myself today and was extremely surprised to see, even though I've only lost 9lbs total, that I've lost 2 inches from my waist and 2 from my hips! I am especially excited cause those are my problem areas
Good job Katy on the loss, I'm so happy for ya!
I think today ill be doing 2 workout dvds, I'm exxtra motivated!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'11

Hey teammates! Haven't posted in a while cause my computers getting fixed...I'm posting through my phone which is a little annoying but I missed this thread. Good job everybody on the weigh in on Sunday, first place wooohooo!! This week I haven't eaten the cleanest, had kind of a stressful week of school so this weekend I will be a stickler! I decided to measure myself today and was extremely surprised to see, even though I've only lost 9lbs total, that I've lost 2 inches from my waist and 2 from my hips! I am especially excited cause those are my problem areas
Good job Katy on the loss, I'm so happy for ya!
I think today ill be doing 2 workout dvds, I'm exxtra motivated!
Closed Thread