YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 05-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default The WLC Finale Show (Monday 24 May) - thoughts...

Feel free to put in your own thoughts if you saw the show...

What a great show BTW! Unfortunately I missed last week's (hubby wanted to watch "Motown 45" which was on at the same time as Dr. Phil is on at 8 pm in the San Francisco area). So I didn't get to see Dr. Phil talk to the Challengers who fell by the wayside. Fortunately his website has a pretty good synopsis. Personally, I was not surprised that Angela and Sarah didn't make the cut. Judging from the comments at the Dr. Phil message board, many folks either missed last week's show or felt that the 'non-winners' should have been recognized as well. My opinion is that ALL the challengers needed to show that they WORKED towards their goals and working the 7 keys. If he had given prizes and recognition to everyone, that would have cheapened it for the winners.

At the beginning of the WLC shows, when the Challengers were in the mansion, one of the tasks they had to accomplish was to set goals for themselves to meet by the end of the series - not just weight loss, but 'head goals' as well. (Hopefully, most if not all of the WLC shows will be repeated over the summer to review.) Obviously, the three challengers who were not present failed to meet the goals that they set for themselves, and they knew it. So they didn't get the prizes and the acclaim, but still, Dr. Phil said he would be helping them throughout the summer, so maybe we'll see a better result in September...definitely a 'wait and see' thing.

Marilyn didn't come up on my personal radar at all during the entire challenge, but Angela IMO never really seemed to stop playing the 'blame game' during the challenge. Sarah just seemed to procrastinate and be lazy the whole season. (again these are just my personal opinions, from watching the show; I don't know these people personally). I think Dr. Phil was looking for the challengers to take responsibility for their own lives and be proactive, not giving up too easily when the going gets rough - KWIM?

As far as the Challengers, I gotta say that THOMAS was my favorite! He really changed - plus he's a musician, as is my own hubby (of course, hubby thought that Thomas got the best prizes of all of them...a whole studio, recording demo contract, etc.... ) so maybe I'm a bit biased there. I think the neat thing about all the winners was how much they BLOSSOMED and came out of their shells during the season.

Just some thoughts on a Tuesday morning...
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:48 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I have been watching the show's on and off but missed last weeks show. I did however watch yesterday's show.....AMAZING!

You are right Mrs. Jim...everyone did seem to blossom in their own way Not only did they lose weight but they changed their way of thinking and their lives I was especially happy for Thomas and Jim! And I hope all of the challengers do well in their lives.

I didn't think Sarah or Angela would make it either.

The whole thing was very inspiring - much better examples of losing weight, gaining control of your life and working hard to reach your goals than that Swan Show!
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

When it first started out I would record the episodes and watch them later but as time wore on I haven't been able to keep up with it as much and I called hubby to have him record monday's show and he didn't get the message in time but I did read over the site.

I totally agree the one's who didn't put the full effort should not have been rewarded. The teams had the option early on to kick off anyone off their team who wasn't giving it their all and they never did.

I too didn't think that Angela and Sarah would make it but the one who surprised me was Kim. In the beginning, to me, she acted like she was so much better than the rest of the challengers and didn't seem committed. Even on a few of the update shows it was like she wasn't really into it but she kept plugging on and that really surprised me.

I agree with you about Marilyn under the radar (I even had to go back and look at her profile cuz I couldn't remember her)

Overall I've really enjoyed watching the challenge and I hope he does it again next season.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #4  

I believe Dr. Phil gave the three "losers" a chance to keep on the program and to check in on the fall season.

Vickie
Vickie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:25 PM   #5  

I agree with everyone except with the one who was called up for not progressing then ended up getting her house paid off ($50,000.00) I didn't quite understand that one. I don't remember her name.

What do you all think about her?
ladyroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Ladyroses, this is kind of a late response as I just happen to look at this thread like a month after the show aired, but that was Terri, I think, who was the 13th challenger (they were originally only going to have 12). I think Dr. Phil's website might have the info on her, but as I recall, she was doing quite well until something happened with her sister (I think it's some sort of medical situation) and her mother could not afford payment on her house, so I think that money was for her mother's house. As Dr. Phil put it, Terri put herself off "project status" and put her family members ahead of herself. This is life...it happens...so I thought it was nice of Dr. Phil to help Terri but of course, he will follow up on her...I don't think he will let her give up and I have faith that Terri will reach her goal.
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote