YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:07 AM   #46  

You got it, Summer!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:53 PM   #47  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Dip,
Thanks so much for your kind supportive words! It is my goal to get to Chapter 2 this week! My job has me soooooooo stressed out! .....like Summer, I also have report cards to do..... as well as deal with the painters in my classroom...and my students...and well..I'll spare you! Thanks tho for the support! I will return!
take care,
Robyn
Old 03-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #48  

The following was posted by holdan29 in her introductio post. Although it pertains to Chapter 1, that thread has been closed, so I brought it over here for discussion-

"Myself and a friend have started Dr Phil's book , but have been stumped on the "Analyze and Respond to Your Self-Talk" on page 79, did anyone else find this hard to do as well ?"

Anybody? I have something on this, but will have to hold it til later today due to time constraints.

dip
Old 04-03-2004, 06:46 AM   #49  

OK, holdan29 was stumped on analyzing her "self talk". Sorry I haven't been available to respond, but it's been a bad week.

I think much of our self-talk is like the same way we look at ourselves in the mirror. What we think about ourselves, and what we *think* we see in the mirror more than likely isn't real. On the last Dr. Phil show where he and son Jay were working with the teens, there was a young lady who seemed to have this problem. The one thing she was told to do, was to get a trusted friend who she *knew* would be honest with her, and ask that person to validate her opinions of herself.

So holdan29, don't allow yourself to get stumped on any one thing as you read the bbok. I think you'll find, as most of us have, that as you read it, and reread it, you will have "lightbulb moments" of realizations along the way. Those of us who are on the second round are getting things we didn't the first time. This journey is a learning and growing experience, and as much as we have in common, it's going to be different for each. Here is the link to the first discussion on Key 1:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32571

Hope this helps-

dip
Old 04-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #50  

Thumbs up Thanks !!

Thanks dip, I think maybe we were "overanalyzing" the "Analyze and Respond To your Self Talk" , We went back over it , and I think we got ourselves thru that We are certain that we will be back to reread like you guys have mentioned ,I just hope I am not as confused on the rest LOL Again thanks!!!

I hope this week is a much greater week for you, take care
Old 04-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #51  

Well, I entered my text and somehow it vanished so I will try to re-write what I wrote.

So here goes-
This is what I got out of chapter one. Make a decision to changeand make it a measurable and realistic goal with an assigned time line. Abandon the negative parts of my lifestyle, the parts that support my being overweight.
Desire is not enough, I have to know what and how. Find my own personal truth and realize that and set about changing what no longer works.
There is no "One size fits all" weight solutions.
Don't look to far ahead and get discouraged; stay in the here and now and work the plan.

Get real about my weight loss goal..I have this one as I am 5'5 and need to weigh 140-135 on a medium build frame.

I need to make specific defined goals and actions to make my weight loss happen.

There is more to weight loss than just the pounds lost.
I need to find the "why" in my weight loss goals and make it personal for me.

There are many different components to weight loss and I need to use what works for me and try to incorporate as many different methods i.e. relaxation techniques, exercise that I like and can do, a healthy diet that I like and follow, motivational tools that are unique to me.
I need to adopt a lifestyle that sustains my weight loss once I reach goal ,otherwise I run the risk of gaining it all back, plus some.

I am still working the exercises in chapter two ,so more later.
Lots to think about. I need to get real on what I can do during the week when I am baby sitting and be willing to just do what I can even if it is only in fifteen minute increments.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:50 AM   #52  

Wow, Irish! Thanks for the refresher. Some times we get so caught up in other things, it's good to read another's personal interpretation of the same project. That's what makes this forum so cool.

I like this - "There is more to weight loss than just the pounds lost."

Writing is confirmation of thought. I think it's important to journal and write your thoughts out, even if just randomly here as message posts at 3FC in each appropriate forum. One thing I love about 3FC is that no matter what, some one is always there to support you, offer an ear, or an objective opinion. There are so many changes during this journey, and it is so helpful as well as essential to have support, from those going it through it too, and from those who have walked in your shoes.

Hope to see more postings here at Dr. Phil . . .

dip
Old 08-28-2004, 10:59 PM   #53  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Chapter 2 - Get Real Expectations and Goals

Hey is anyone out there?? Been kind of quiet here in dr. phil land so I thought I would open up a discussion on the second chapter of his book.

The bit that I have problems with this is that I know mentally that I will not lose weight overnight, it is going to take a long time, probably at least a year of consistant effort to lose the amount of weight that I want to lose. I don't think that all my problems will be solved by losing weight. I do have a terrible self image about my body and how I look and that is what dr phil is trying to address in this chapter. I have a hard time making a sticking to goals that will change my behaviours. For example I need to have a place to sit and eat all my meals and snacks (that is in the book under one of the keys) because I often snack sitting on the couch watching tv or reading or we eat all our meals in front of the tv. I know that is a huge NO-NO but when you've been doing it practically all your life it is hard to change. I want to change this habit for myself but also for my 3 year old son who is turning into a tv addicted couch potato already. Anyway I'm going to sit down and re-read this chapter and do the 'homework' (writing down the goals etc) and see where I go from there.

If anyone else would like to comment on this chapter please post!!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:39 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 218.8/198/135

Height: 5'4

Default Sorry Girl !!!!!!

Hey Jen,

How is everything going? I'm alright. I apologize for not logging on lately, I started school this week. Is it just me or I every college girl a size 2!
But anyway, I really haven't been reading this week. I'm up to neck in homework. But I have recently read that chapter you are on, and I said the same things. Jen we are so much alike. I have those same problems and Ive asked myself those same questions. I wish I had a solution for you but I don't because im going through the same thing you are. It's twice as hard now that I go to school full time. I have discovered that our school has this state of the art fitness center and swimming pool, which is wonderful. I went in there onh tuesday and worked out for about 45 minutes and the best thing about it is that it's free!!! But I have stuck to any of my goals and my eating habits have totally demished. So you are not alone. But Jen don't be so hard on yourself. Just sit down and continue reading Dr.phil im sure he will give you some stratagies to overcome your low self esteem. Just keep your head up. I think i've actually gained about five pounds since I said I wanted to lose weight. So don't feel bad. Well im off to do homework
Talk to you later
Old 09-12-2004, 10:13 PM   #55  
Jen

So this has been on my mind a lot lately. I've started back at the gym and set myself up with a cardio and weight training program. My goals there are to do cardio at least 5 times a week and weights 2-3 times a week. I've found that I have problems when I do weights and then have to work later in the day. It is too much for me at this point so I am only doing weights on the days when I am not working. At this point I am not going to the gym on the weekends, that may change in a few weeks. I am going to stick with the same programs for 4 weeks starting this week and then I will re-evaluate and see where I can improve. As far as my eating goes I am making some small changes. Already we are eating at the dining room table more but I need to stop snacking or what I need to do is schedule my snacks. What I really, really need to do is sit down and make out a plan of what I am going to eat every day, I tend to just sort of wing it. So at this point I am not going to commit to eating as if I was doing the rapid start program but my main goal is to start planning what I am eating, schedule myself to eating 3 meals and 2 snacks. I will try to follow his outline but I'm not going to go crazy restricting myself on the carbs. I'll try to cut back but I probably won't stick to 1 or 2 servings a day.

I don't think I have low self esteem generally, I don't like my body and think I look terrible but I'm not sure that is really low self esteem. I think I am a very intelligent, funny, sociable person. I just hate the way I look. I try not to beat myself up about my weight it is just that I know better. I am knowledgable about nutrition and exercise. It just comes down to practicing what you preach.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:23 PM   #56  

Smile

Are you doing a chapter a week? I did this before and loved it. I want to do it again - reading, sharing, learning. It really has helped me a lot.

Just wondered if this thread was doing that????
Old 09-27-2004, 03:31 AM   #57  

Location: On the road in our travel trailer! Ask me sometime!

Well I'm new here but I thought I would weigh in (bad pun) on this subject. I don't have my book in front of me to refer to so I hope this makes sense!

I too have a hard time with realizing that it is going to take months to reach my goals. I'm trying to take baby steps. I do make up weekly menus, I use meals.com to help plan them and then put the meals into my Fitday program and it calculates all the calories, fats, cards, vitamins, etc that the meal has. That has been a huge timesaver and help. I schedule snack times into my day. I think of them as a recharge time. I brush my teeth after supper and turn the lights off in my 'kitchen' to signify that it is closed.

One thing that I am going to start this week is to start making a weight loss album. I love to scrapbook and it would be a great way to motivate myself into keeping on track as well as monitoring my progress.

Since I've joined up to this forum I'm renewing my commitment to get more active. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the Pace Fitness in town here and take the orientation. Then I'm going to go for a walk for 30 minutes. Small measurable goals make all the difference with me. Wish me luck!

Wanda
Old 09-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #58  
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLadyBug
Are you doing a chapter a week? I did this before and loved it. I want to do it again - reading, sharing, learning. It really has helped me a lot.

Just wondered if this thread was doing that????
There haven't been too many people currently reading book and looking to discuss it, hey we lead busy lives! So I haven't really come back to start up a new post on the next chapter. I think it is a good idea to discuss the book because sharing view points would be helpful to understand what he is trying to get across. I'll start a new post on the Chapter 3 in the next day or 2 and see if anyone is interested in more discussion.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Chapter Two Revisited

Hi Guys!

I thought I would go ahead and get this thread started.

Here are some former posts in reference to this area. I hope these help. I like getting it all together into one area for review.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32571

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...=%22Chapter%22

So What is everyone elses thoughts on this Chapter???
Old 11-10-2004, 07:48 AM   #60  

Angel, thanks for all the helpful links to past discussions. I breifly skimmed them as DD is into everything this morning. Toddlers, got to luv 'em. I plan on going back and reviewing them when the babies nap.

Here are my thoughts on Chapter two. I wrote them in Word last night while I had a min. to myself. They are quite long so bear with me...

I very much enjoyed chapter two. It was a real eye opener. It is hard to “Get Real”. My self image and my body image are so skewed and have been for so long it is difficult to determine what is real.

I think that all along my expectations have been realistic. I have never thought I could weigh 112, which is what the low end of the height/weight chart says I should. Last time I weighed 112 I was probably 12. When I was 12 my dad required my sister and I to run with him 1 mile everyday, then as a family we would walk 3.5 miles after dinner. This was rain, shine, snow, sleet, hail, what have you, we walked. We always walked to the grocery store about 2.5 miles away and walked home carrying all our groceries. In the winter we cross country skied. In the summer we got up every morning and rode our bicycles 14 miles. On weekends a 10 mile hike was a breeze and 30 mile bike rides were not uncommon. In the summer my sister and I also spent 5-6 hours or more every weekday at the town pool, which we got to on bicycle (it was about 2 miles from our house). I weighed probably 120-130 when I was in my teens. I did not eat red meat, we weren’t allowed to eat processed cereal, everything we ate was monitored and approved by my parents, and my sister and I were required to spend 45 min. every night on the Stairmaster. We had to show our dad a pedometer read out proving we did it. I worked as a lifeguard and swimming instructor. I ran at least 5 miles in the water 3 nights a week teaching lessons, I taught aqua-aerobics twice a week and at one point I taught two classes so it was four times a week, not including what I swam and the several hours I spent just walking around the pool during lap swim. I was fit, lean and I thought I was so fat. I am small boned really, I wear a size 7 ½ shoe, my largest ring size is a 6 ½. I thought b/c I was small boned I should weigh 112 like those charts said. I’m not telling you all this b/c I want to complain about my childhood, I’m just saying that even with extreme exercise and diet I could not weigh 112. So I have always set my goal to 135.

The definition of body image on page 23 really got me thinking. Dr. Phil says, “Don’t think of body image as what you see when you look in the mirror; it’s the reaction you have within yourself in response to what you see.” I thought about that. What came to my mind about my reaction to what I see Repulsive, Lazy, Gross, Globby. But these are the same reactions I have had since my teens. Looking back I don’t understand that reaction to the body I had then. I was healthy and active; you could probably bounce a quarter off my stomach. But for some reason I remember feeling so huge and gross. My body image was so out of synch with what I really looked like. My body image now is harsh but not distorted.

I agree with Dr. Phil when he says, “How you feel about your body can have a dramatic effect on your self-concept…..What you believe about your body shapes your self-concept and how it gets expressed.” That is so true. My body image from my teens affected the way I put myself out there to people. I thought I was fat, I dressed like I was fat, I assumed people wouldn’t like me b/c I was fat. Strange to look back on that.

At first I wasn’t sure about the part on loving and accepting your body as it is now (pg 24). This was a bit hard for me to swallow. I do not want to accept my body as it is now. But reading further down the page Dr. Phil states “If you are truly out of shape and you don’t like it, then having a negative body image may mean you are taking a realistic view…” That is me, and now I know it’s ok to not like how I look. You have to acknowledge the areas that you need to improve on, and the improve on them.

On page 25 we see that we need to use our gifts that we give to everyone else on ourselves as well. We need to give ourselves the same kindness and respect we’d give others. This is an area where I need to focus.

The section “Get-with-it-goal setting” made so much sense to me. First, goals must be realistic with specifically defined actions you will use to reach them. You must also include how that goal will make you feel once you reach it. The goal is then multifaceted. I did however have difficulty getting my goal to be specific enough as far as how it will feel. Did anybody else find that true? Once I answered all the questions in the goal setting exercises I think I ended up with a very clear goal. Here are my answers to the exercises:

Write what it is you hope to achieve (the number of pounds or the desire to maintain your weight loss within a certain range once you have reached it):
I want to reach a healthy weight of 135 and maintain that weight.

Describe what you will do (the behaviors or actions you must commence, change or stop in order to lose weight):
I will master the seven keys, learning to accept myself, gain control of food, eat for nutrition, and exercise.

When you lose weight, you want to feel:
When I lose weight I want to feel proud of my new shape, comfortable with myself, healthy and free of my poor relationship with food.

Review what you have already written. Express your goals in terms of measurable outcomes such as how many pounds you want to lose. I want to reach a healthy weight of 135 and maintain that weight. I will master the seven keys, learning to accept myself, gain control of food, eat for nutrition. I will use my tred mill at least 5 days per week for a min. of one hour per day, I will also incorporate one of my exerscise dvds 3 days per week. I will create time to do these things for myself by getting up early and setting aside time after the kids go to bed. (right now I have found I can squeeze in a couple half hour sessions a day on the treadmill. It's hard to get to a high intensity for any length of of time in a half an hour, but right now it's better than nothing.)

Assign a time line to your goal.

Create a timeline for achieving your goal.

I will lose 25lbs by Christmas 2004. I will lose a total of 50 pounds by March 1st 2005, I will lose the remaining weight by September 1st 2005.

Break down your goal into manageable steps.

Know what your steps will be as you learn more about the seven keys come back here and add other steps. Record the steps involved in reaching your goal:
I will use the seven keys and follow the action steps presented
I will treadmill 5 hours per week and do 3 workouts per week
I will eliminate junk food from my life

Create accountability.
Have trusted person that you check in with each week about your preogress. List those people who might be helpful:
You ladies here on this forum
My sister, Summer

I think with this goal I am well on my way to “reversing the negative momentum.” I am ready to start implementing my goals. I feel like I have a plan. Not so much a "on program" "off program" sort of way to weight loss. I am still doing WW points though. I will continue with that until I figure out the whole high yield low yeild thing when we move on to future chapters. Right now it seems to be "working for me."

Have a great day all. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this chapter. Last week I learned a lot about things I may have missed. Sorry this is so long. You'll prolly figure out that I tend to be long winded about everything lol.
Closed Thread