Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 10:07 AM   #1  
Determined Chick!

Default Weigh in at home 9/3-9/9

I've been offline a lot getting used to my new schedule with Josh in school.

Ok, now I'm trying to remember what I wanted to post without seeing all your messages from the other thread :-Z!

Cece -- Don't look back, no regrets. Put your energy into working the program now, and keep you sights on why it is so important to you (your health, your daughter, quality of life, etc...). YOU CAN DO THIS! I think one of my biggest struggles with weight loss is the fact that it does take time and energy to keep at it. It is very hard to be successfull without putting a lot of focus on your goals. However, we choose to put our energies into a lot of things...it is time we spent some of that precious energy on ourselves!

Phoinex -- Welcome! Congrats on your awesome loss!!! Please share your hints for success, favorite recipes, etc...

Jennifa -- Good idea on the "just have fun" exercise idea! Get out there and play! You might also consider joining an aerobics class. Exercising with others can be motivating, and it would be more of a social outing to go to a class. I'm also enjoying video workouts. It is hard to stay motivated on a piece of machinery! (borrring!)

Pepper - Contgrats on getting Sara off to school! What a stressful summer it has been for you :-Z I'm glad everything worked out OK. Josh is loving Kindergarten :-D, and our whole schedule is so much easier now. He goes to all day, every day, and it is so nice not dealing with daycare! After he gets on the bus, I have almost a free 1/2 hr in the morning before I have to leave. Now that he has started, I see that he was ready. He had really outgrown the daycare center, and he needed to be around more kids his own age and be more challenged. He started back w/ speech therapy, and I hope he'll make big improvements in that area soon.

Judy -- I'm sorry you are still sick, and I hope this new med works for you. Is it a bronchial infection, or do you have asthma?

Good luck this week everyone. BTW, I gained .8 last week, but I have to admit I enjoyed every bit of food I ate...and drank! HOw many pts in a *bottle* of wine??! (big party week...end of summer and all). Now I feel ready to be in control, and I have started exercising again (workout tapes). Staying within points has been hard , but I'm working on it.

Holly
Old 09-03-2001, 10:49 AM   #2  

Hi Holly, thanks you for your kind comment. I don't know if I have any secrets, but I will gladly share my regimen.

First, I think it is easier for me than most because I don't have to plan meals for anyone but myself. I am a compulsive eater and can't keep tempting snacks in the house because I'll eat the whole thing in one sitting. My husband has been eating low carb/high protein for years and really does his own thing meal wise, we have no children so I only stock "legal" foods, mostly portion controlled.

My breakfast is almost always Kashi Go Lean cereal with Yoplait Light yogurt. Lunch and dinner are Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine, supplemented with lots of salad. I can't keep any of the great light desserts in the house, I have absolutely no control. Snacks are fresh fruit and popcorn. Boring, isn't it?

I stay at the bottom of my points range. One day a month I plan to eat anything I want, however I don't stock it in the house--I go to the convenience store, fast food drive-up or grocery store and puchase small individual servings of candy, cookies, ice cream, burgers, fries, whatever I feel like, but only one package of each. For example, one day last month I had a package of mini oreos, Reeses Peanut Butter Cup, that great instant French Vanilla Capaccino at the convenience store, takeout bbq ribs and french fries. This one day a month I don't count points. When I was on vacation, I started meals with a large salad and tried to eat reasonably, but did have small servings of whatever was on the menu, buffet, etc. I had desserts, but only small portions.

Exercise--5 days a week, 20 minutes on my Healthrider (this is sort of like a rowing machine). It took me all this time to work up to 20 minutes, but it is getting easier. I also do some strength training ordered by my physical therapist for a shoulder problem. Total time spent exercising is about 30 minutes 5 days a week. One of these days I want to be able to get back on my bicycle, but I'm not up to that yet.

That's all I can think of, but let me know if you have any questions.

Weigh-In today--lost 1.5 pounds this week, for a total of 21.5 since June 19, that's 11 weeks. Tomorrow I'm rewarding myself with a day at the salon--cut, color, manicure and pedicure! Ahh, I love to be pampered!

Good luck to everyone, and be good to yourselves!
Old 09-03-2001, 12:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone and Happy Labor Day.

Hope you're all doing well.

Holly - Glad to hear that Josh is liking kindergarten. It's hard working into a new routine, isn't it. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Karen - Your dedication is inspiring. I like the idea of your once a month treat day. And congrats on another terrific loss this week!

The weekend was kind of spotty, in terms of eating, for me. Friday I got a lot of walking in at the zoo. Granted it wasn't the fast, get your heart rate up, kind of walking, but I definitely worked some muscles! Went to a Polish buffet on Saturday and ate just little bits of just a few things. I'm confident I'll see some downward movement on the scale on Wednesday.

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Carla
Old 09-03-2001, 07:47 PM   #4  

Default Thanks for all these ideas!

Hi,
I've kind of skimmed through some of the topics and am glad I happened on yours. Your ideas were helpful. I have gotten away from writing down all my food points each day [this weekend] and that is not good at all for me. Somehow, writing all of it down helps me keep my head screwed on straight. Also, though I love weekends, with the lack of structure it is harder for me to discipline my eating.
You know, I've lost 41 pounds and this is the second or third time in months that I feel a little scared -- like "Can I really do this?" Anyway, thanks for all the support, all of you.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:29 PM   #5  
cookies are for browsers

Default a challenge

Hi all,

I have a challenge for you. As you know, my plan has some odd little quirks to it but it fits very well with the WW program. Here is my challenge:
Stop eating when you are full.

Any takers?

Carla, it sounds like you are WELL on your way to a loss this week! Keep up the good work!

Holly, your post reminds me of the arguments my leader and I had over whether wine was a fruit or optional calories! Since the basic composition is fruit, I am thinking I'll count mine as fruit! Glad Josh is enjoying kindergarten.

Determined - WOW! 41 POUNDS!! hey - Let's give her a hand, folks! Obviously, you CAN do it!

Phoinix, sounds like you have your points figured out. Does your leader tell you to eat at the top or bottom of your range? I never could figure that out. Right now I eat about 25 points per day. I know it's low for my weight but that's where I am satisfied.

Everyone else, welcome back from the holiday, here's to a great OP week!

Jennifa
Old 09-04-2001, 08:44 AM   #6  

Holly - glad to hear that things are going well with Josh starting kindergarten. How old is he? Sorry to hear about the gain but it sounds like you are back in the swing of things. Way to go on the exercising. I can't wait until I'm well enough to start in. As for me, it started as bronchitis and now even though the infection is gone, everything is still so aggravated that it's like a low level asthma.

Karen - way to go on that great loss and losing 21.5 since June. You go girl! I'd say whatever you are doing is working really well! I like the idea of your once a month treat day too.

Carla - sounds like a good weekend all in all - especially on the buffet - congrats on that! Glad to hear you got in some walking too.

Dtermnd - glad to hear our thread has been helpful. WOW - on the 41 pounds! You bet you can do it - you are already!

Jennifa - Yup - I'm up for it! It seems like a novel concept, doesn't it but it's so key. One of the reasons I try to make my meals last longer (eat more slowly) is so that I can feel full.

I had a good weigh-in on Saturday - I lost a pound. We had a great time babysitting for Anthony on Saturday. I did OK at my sil's on Sunday but ate too much when I came home. On Sunday I started feeling like a couldn't take a deep breath again (like before I took the steroids). I know it has to do with how bad the allergies are - when I went outside I had problems - after hours in the air conditioning I fel a little better. I'm going to call the pulmony doctor again at 9:00 and see what's what.

Judy
163.6/156/35
Old 09-04-2001, 08:54 AM   #7  
Determined Chick!

Good Morning! I'm happy having done such a good workout over the weekend, but I blew it in the pts department. I'm back at work today, and that should help me get back in control -- weekends are hard for me too, Dtermnd. I'm going to try and save this week (weigh in on Thurs) by getting in the water, exercising the next 3 days, and sticking to pts. I won't count any exercise pts in hopes it will make up for my excess pts over the weekend. I need to plan better. I let myself get shaky-hungry a couple times this weekend, and then went nuts eating as a result.

Talk to you guys tonight...have a great, low pt day! Holly
Old 09-04-2001, 11:03 AM   #8  

Hi everyone!

Dtermnd - Glad to hear we were of help. Weekends are harder for me as well. I too tend to not journal on weekends and that leads to trouble. You're doing great. 41 pounds gone is a magnificent achievement. Yes, you really can do this!

Jennifa - You're on! Like Judy, I have to really concentrate on eating slowly so that I can feel the fullness. I need also to get back to waiting 20 minutes after a meal before deciding whether or not I'm stilll hungry.

Judy - Sorry to hear you're having problems with your breathing again. I hope you're feeling completely better soon. Here's some get well hugs: {{{}}}. Congrats on the pound gone forever.

Holly - Maybe we need a weekend challenge to keep us on the straight and narrow. This weekend lets really working at staying within points. I also need to work on getting in all my water over the weekend.

I basically grazed my way through the day yesterday, but everything was low points. I didn't do a great job getting in my water the last few days, so I'm going to double my efforts there. I'm looking at a very long day today, but I'm prepared with a couple of frozen dinner for lunch and one for dinner too, as well as snacks for throughout the day. And I'll have some points left over for a glass of wine when I get home to help me relax.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 09-04-2001, 01:00 PM   #9  

Hello friends,

I'm just back from the salon. My hairdresser was ill, so sent him flowers and had a manicure and pedicure. Now I have an excuse for more pampering later in the week!

My husband had to work last night, and one of the benefits of working holidays for him is lots of free food. He brought the leftovers home and I'm trying to be good. I ate bbq chicken for lunch, what a treat! I'll just pack up the stuff I shouldn't eat and send it back to work with him later. But the cookies are calling my name!

Dtermnd ~ Way to go! Glad you found us, I'm new here myself. You will be an inspiration for me.

Jennifa ~ How are you doing? I don't attend meetings, I'm doing this with the help of you gals! I find eating at the low end of points is plenty of food for me, and I haven't been hungry so far. I can't take your challenge though, as it seems I'm getting so full with just eating little things. Maybe it's all the water I'm drinking. The only meal that doesn't fill me up is breakfast.

Judy ~ I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better and GREAT GOING on the pound lost! Take good care of yourself.

Holly ~ Happy you're back in control today. I'm like you--if I'm not prepared, it's just too easy to go nuts. Hang in there.

Have a great day.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:29 PM   #10  

Holly - Sorry about the small gain, but now that summer is over we can all get back on track. Good job starting the exercising. I'm glad Josh loves kindergarten. I have a free half hour after I take Laura and her friends to school before I leave for work. It is so nice to be able to come home, eat breakfast and look at the paper without any distractions.

Karen - Congratulations on the loss...you're doing great. Send those cookies back too!

Carla - Sorry you had a long day today, but it sounds like you've done a good job of planning for it. I need to join you on the weekend challenge. I do pretty well during the week, but since weekends are just Laura and me we eat out way too much.

Dtermnd - Glad we have been helpful. Wow, 41 pounds is great. You CAN do it.

Jennifa - I'll take you up on the challenge. I know it sounds easy, but I've always found it really hard to stop. I always get full before I want to stop. I need to work on slowing down.

Judy - Congratulations on the loss. Sorry you are still having breathing problems. I'm sure it has a lot to do with allergies. Laura has been having a lot of trouble when we try opening the windows at night.

Hope I didn't forget anybody. I had an okay weekend. I got in a lot of walks, but did too much nibbling. (I really can't let Laura bring the junk in the house. She eats a little and then leaves the rest.) I did have another maintain, so at least I'm holding my own. Now to start downward again.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Pat
Old 09-05-2001, 11:28 AM   #11  

Hi everyone.

It's such a gorgeous day here. I wish I were outside playing.

Karen - Hope you were able to shut those cookies up without eating them! Mmmm BBQ chicken. Makes me drool thinking about it. What does your husband do that he gets to bring home food after working a holiday?

Pat - Congrats on the maintain. Let's send each other positive vibes this weekend. Nibbling got to me to this weekend.

I'm pleased to report a 2 pound loss this week. I'm even happier to have strung together 2 weeks of losses. Had a great day yesterday and banked 5 points. I'm looking at another long day today, but I'm well-prepared again. I have my various snacks (fruit, veggies, pretzels, and some sweets) and one frozen dinner. I think I'll get a huge salad at lunch and dump in one of the pouches of tuna I have stashed in my desk drawer and then eat my frozen dinner for dinner. A couple of thoughts have occured to me over the last couple of days. 1) While I'm thrilled to be losing again, since I'm re-losing weight that I lost and regained, some of the excitement and "newness" is gone. I think about seeing a new decade or dress size and think "been there, done that." So I have to find a way to keep slogging ahead through familiar territory until I get to truely new numbers on the scale and on the clothing racks. 2) I find myself in a rush to lose - looking at the calendar, calculating when I'll be at goal based on 2 pounds off a week. That kind of stuff that just sets me up for disappointment and a sense of failure. So I decided today that if I can just lose 5 pounds a month, I'll be happy. It will take me two years to get to goal, but each month I'll look and feel better and will be healthier. If some months it comes off faster than that, well, that will be great.

Ok - that was pretty long-winded. I'll stop now.

Have a great day everyone!

Carla
266/263/140 (239 1st 10%)
Old 09-05-2001, 11:35 AM   #12  

Holly - sorry to hear you had problems over the weekend. Do you have some low-point snacks around to keep you from getting "shaky hungry"? Your plan for the week sounds solid!

Carla - Thanks for the hugs! Sorry to hear you had a tough day on Monday. How did you do yesterday with the long day? It sounds like you were well prepared.

Karen - oooh, leftovers are "dangerous" for me. Good idea to send them back with your husband. I hope you were able to avoid the cookies.

Pat - Congratulations on the maintain. I know what you mean about the junk being left around. I have the same problem with Tony. There are some things I ask him not to buy and others I ask him to hide. Sometimes it works..... Way to go on getting in a lot of walks. I know what you mean about opening the windows - I would love to but like Laura the allergies are tough now and I know it's contributing to the problems I've been having.

I had an OK day yesterday. The doctor put me on another round of prednisone so I'm hoping it will help. I did OK foodwise until very late and then had too many (baked) chips. I had a salty craving - hmmm, maybe that PMS monster is starting to lurk around. I'll have to be careful. I'm running a deficit right now but hope to shave a couple of points off each day. It's tougher for me to do when I can't exercise (my usual deficit remedy). Off to guzzle some more water to flush out all the salt.

Judy

Last edited by JudySP; 09-05-2001 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:39 AM   #13  

Carla - We must have been posting at the same time. WOW - congratulations on that great loss! It sounds like you know what you need to do with the low point snacks, etc. Hmm, I have to try one of those tuna packets - very convenient. Hmmm, new motivation? Have you thought about charting your weight on a graph? That's a new way to see it and it gives you the general downward direction in a picture - Worth a thousand words, right? I do know what you mean though. I'm in the same boat in terms of having seen these numbers before.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:58 AM   #14  

Well, I just finished trying to post and it went POOF! Too bad the weight won't come off like that. Anyway, wanted to tell you all that I did manage to send all the cookies back to work with my husband, and didn't even get into the bbq pork he left home. He works in a manufacturing plant where the food service closes on holidays, so the supers being in take out. This time it was Heavenly Ham and BBQ.

Carla, you are doing great! Congrats on the continued weight loss. It's hard revisiting those old numbers, but what if you weren't doing WW? Where would you be now?

Judy, ohh how I hate those PMS cravings! I just don't know how to deal with them. Hope the water helps. Don't worry about exercising while you are trying to get well again. I read somewhere the other day that your body will concentrate on the most important thing - which is healing itself at the moment. So actually the exercise will just slow down the healing process. Hope this helps
Old 09-05-2001, 12:12 PM   #15  
cookies are for browsers

Default How many years?

Hello all,

Driving to work today I just thought that I have spent the last 8 years not liking my body. I am not going to let this go on any more. I do not care what it takes. It will probably be a combination of weight loss and body acceptance techniques. I can already tell a difference just by dressing to emphasize my best feature (small waist). Even a month is too long to go not liking yourself.

Anybody else got some strategies for this?

I finally got my fast in on Monday. It's been 3 weeks. I feel so much better if I can do this once a week; I feel more in control and more balanced with my hunger levels.

I say it all the time but I'll say it again:

COOKIES ARE FOR BROWSERS

So if those cookies or chips are looking at you, just look them back and think about how they WILL make you FAT. They aren't comfort, they aren't love, they aren't even something that you HAVE to have - they are FATMAKERS. Make the choice to be thin, you can do it!

Off to follow my own advice, (pray for me)

Jennifa
Closed Thread