Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Kimber - I've lost a LOT of time by not writing things down, etc. You're right to feel proud of yourself for jumping back in and writing things down. After all, without the first step you never get anywhere. I've found that the 21 days rule - that is, stick with something for 21 days and it becomes a habit - holds true. If you can stay on program for three weeks and make yourself count everything and write everything down, it starts becoming 2nd nature. And yes, losing weight does become harder as we get older. Take it from a soon-to-be 45 year old who has learned it the hard way.

I had an ok day yesterday. I ended up eating 5 flex points, which I guess is better than my usual weigh-in day extravaganza. The cake is now in the garbage, so there's some points I won't be consuming. At any rate, I want to hang on to my flex points for the next couple of days so I can use some on Saturday without depleting them. And now I must go mop the basement floor. We had hard rains last night and we got water in the basement. I shop-vac'd it up; now I must disinfect. It was definitely not in my plans for today, but it must be done.

Have a good day.

Carla
Old 06-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #17  

Hi Everyone!
Thanks for all of your well wishes, I definately feel better today.
Kimber - Congratulations for getting back on the program!

Carla - I applaud you for throwing away that cake! Honestly, cake is my FAVORITE food (I'm not kidding, I even made up song about it!) If it were me I would have used up all my FP and then some just getting it from the fridge to the garbage.

Being sick has certainly put a damper on any gym plans I had for the week, but I've been journalling and staying OP so I'm satisfied with my efforts so far.

Take care guys,
Rhonda

Last edited by fatnomo; 06-11-2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:16 PM   #18  

Carla, I just had a thought, could you count the mopping up as part of your activity points?

Rhonda
Old 06-10-2004, 11:59 PM   #19  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Everyone,

Cake?! To me cake is an excuse to eat icing. I love icing - couldn't care less about what's underneath it!

Kimber - very true that you have to stick with it until it's habit. I'm currently doing South Beach coz that's what my DH is doing and it's so much easier just to do what he's doing than to prepare separate stuff. But I've been posting here forever and it's where my dear pals (old and new) are.

Rhonda - glad you're feeling better! You really must love cake to sing about it!

Carla - oh crap! Sorry to hear about your water problems this morning. Just what you needed, I'm sure. Do you have any great plans for those Saturday flex points?

I had a good day food wise; I came home from work at lunch time with a slight sore throat and a miserable headache, slept for a couple of hours and then felt much better. I cooked up a storm after I got up, and got dinner and tomorrow's lunch taken care of. I was making ground sirloin patties, turned my back for 5 seconds and Jasper (insatiable, evil golden retriever) helped himself to two of them! Ah, pets.

Have a good Friday, and if I don't get back here tomorrow, have a good weekend. I'll try to check in sometime before Monday.

Karen
Old 06-11-2004, 11:53 AM   #20  

Hi all.

Rhonda - Glad to hear that you're feeling better. Hope you're 100% better soon. Oh, I love the cake too, although I don't believe I've ever composed a song about it. Too busy eating it, I suppose! The cake was already mostly stale, which made it much easier to put in the garbage. Of course, it was stripped of its icing. As for activity points for mopping, I probably could have counted some, but no I didn't. I've made it my rule of thumb to not count activity points for normal, every day around the house kinds of stuff. While having to mop the basement isn't a normal activity, thank goodness, I figure that I just burned some bonus calories that might help boost my weight loss for the week.

Karen - The icing. Now, someday I may be moved to write a poem about the icing. And the bakery that did Ana's cake does a lovely buttercream. Light and tasty without being sickening sweet. Airy and delicious it is. In fact, this morning I had a doughnut filled with said icing. Worth every point. As for my plans for my flex points: tomorrow is Ana's ballet recital and my MIL and my mom and cousins are coming in for it, so we're having a cookout afterwards. If the weather cooperates, it will be brats on the grill. If it doesn't, and I have a feeling it's not going to, it will be fried chicken from somewhere. And of course, some wine. Plus its our churches block party tomorrow so we'll probably wander over there to catch some music. And some more wine. Glad to hear that your nap cured whatever was ailing you. LOL at the dog stealing the sirloin patty. Such a dog thing to do. How's your FIL? I hope he's able to rest comfortably.

I had a good day yesterday - ate up to my target points, but no flex points. I'm light on milk and fruit/veggies this week though, which must change. My sneek peaks have been so-so, finally today I'm back down to what I was the weigh-in before last. I've decided that this time around the fat has settled in different ways - more in my stomach I think. I have a few pairs of size 22 pants that are about 10 pounds away from me being able to zip them up. Last time I was at this weight, I was comfortably in size 22s. I have some size 22 shorts, on the other hand, that have elastic on the sides of the waistband (the pants don't) and they are huge in the waist. Ah well, I'm determined to wear the pants soon.

Have a great day and since I probably won't have a chance to get on tomorrow, a terrific weekend.

Carla
Old 06-11-2004, 02:36 PM   #21  

Karen – Congratulations on those 3 pounds lost. Can you give me an idea of what you eat in a day? I don’t know if it will work for me but I have to admit that I really haven’t looked into it and how it is different from Atkins. The veggie chopping doesn’t bother me too much – I do a bit of that now anyway. The thought of not having cravings makes me think I should at least look into it. Sorry to hear that your life has been so crazy. Good idea to deal with things now with the home care so that it will work out when your fil really needs it.

Carla – Yes, it’s time to throw the cake away – toss it!! You don’t know the worst of it – there is still a retirement breakfast and another wedding shower next week (we had another one this morning) PLUS, a day or two afterwards, the person whose shower it was, brings in food to say thanks! I did OK in that I remembered this one and had ½ bagel, but I had a rice krispy treat that was part of the “thank you” junk in the faculty room. Does anyone know how many points those are? How many points is the Zatarain’s rice/pineapple thing? I like a number of their things.

Kimber – yes, you are right, the whole weight loss thing gets harder as you go through your 30’s and gets even worse in your 40’s. Good for you for writing everything down. It really does make a difference.

I had an OK day yesterday. Even though it was so humid (and still pretty hot) yesterday, I was in such a PMS’y mood that when I got home I did a new spinning workout – I did the first 40 minutes which is pretty good and was literally dripping wet afterwards. It felt great and I earned a lot of AP’s. Tony was at the Yankee game so I was on my own for dinner. I made a big egg white omelet that was yummy. I had a number of snacks at night while I was working on my project. While I did eat the AP’s, I didn’t go over so that was OK. I have 5 FP’s left for today – we’re having pizza – I have to have just one piece – I’ve already had enough for the day so that if I have 1 regular slice, I’ll have to use an FP. I plan on doing ½ yoga, which will help, but just a little. I have a lot of work to do tonight but I have a lot of veggies to munch on and if I dip it in a little hummous, it’s not too bad a snack point-wise. I’m going to try to go to my early meeting just to weigh in (I haven’t been there in weeks) but I’m not going to stress if I stay up a little too late – I have too much to do this weekend (that’s stressful enough) to stress myself about it. Since this semester ends Wed, I’ll be able to go to the meeting next week, for sure.

I’ll try to check in over the weekend – I’d like to make this a weekend where I use no more than a couple of FP’s each day – I need all the FP’s I can get for the upcoming week. Of course, we are taking my parents out to the Chinese restaurant on Saturday, so it will be tough.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 06-11-2004, 11:33 PM   #22  

Judy - In case you check in the rice krispie treats that they sell in the store are 2 points. I'd say they're about 3 inches by two inches. The Zatarain's Caribbean rice is 3 points for the cup. A real points bargain, I think.

I came so close to saying the heck with it and going on a binge this afternoon. Luckily I was able to stop myself. We ended up going out for Mexican food tonight. I was able to keep it under control and while I did use several flex points, I still have plenty left. I hate close calls like that.

Carla

Last edited by cece; 06-11-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:53 PM   #23  

Carla - major congratulations on NOT saying what the heck and going on a binge! Any idea what may have triggered the urge? (not that I need always need a reason!) Major kudos for stopping yourself (a major feat) AND just using a few flex points at the Mexican restaurant! Wow! I hope you have given yourself major pats on the back - if not, here are some {{{{PATS Thanks for the info on the Rice Krispy treats - I counted it as 3 points since -it was a wedge and wasn't exactly a small piece

I had an OK day given everything. I got up at 7:30, did a 1/2 hour of the new Power Half Hour DVD I just got (I did Ab Burner - abs but it's also very aerobic and I earned 2 activity points). Then I had breakfast and starting writing lesson plans. I did take a couple of breaks here and there and managed to write 3 of them (out of 7 plus I have two assessments and a field trip to write up before the end of tomorrow) before it was time to get ready to go out to eat with my parents. I had a drink when they came over and we went to the Chinese restaurant as planned. I guess I did OK. I could have done better and then agan, I could have done worse. I used 9 flex points which I really didn't want to do at the beginning of my week. I haven't had anything except a cup of coffee since we got home and I started writing a 4th lesson plan though so that's not too bad. I did not go to weigh in this morning - I just didn't feel I could spare the 1/2 hour to 45 minutes it would take. I'm glad I didn't - I need all the time I can get to finish this da** project. Oh, and I got TOM this morning - I'm a bit crampy but am determined to do the next 1/2 hour workout tomorrow morning (thigh workout I think). Anyway, it's late - I'm going to wash up, get into bed and read the new WW magazine I got today.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 06-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #24  

Hi all.

Judy - Well, if you can get out of a Chinese restaurant with using only 9 flex points, then you are to be commended. For me, Chinese food is the hardest to be moderate with, because all my favorites are, of course, the high fat dishes and so very little uses so many points. So right back at ya' with the pat on the back. Three points for the rice krispie wedge sounds about right. As for what triggered my urge to binge, I've been thinking about it. I think I was getting stressed out about everything I wanted to get done before we had the family over for Ana's recital and cookout. And I got myself into the state of being so overwhelmed by it, that I was paralyzed into inaction. Which led me to feel out of control, which probably triggered the urge to keep feeding my face.

I did pretty good yesterday. I used up 13 flex points, but we had brats on the grill and that's a pretty high point proposition. I managed to keep points down by just eating a drib and a drab of the various salads (pasta, potato). We went to our church's block party afterwards and I used up some more points on some more wine. But I still have 5 flex points and I'm going to hang on to them for dear life in the event that I need them on Tuesday (lunch out). Found some great mini spring rolls at Costco - Shanghi Garden, or something like that. 1 point for three mini rolls. A great treat and perfect for us on the weekend because we tend to graze our way through the day.

And now off to enjoy this sunny Sunday afternoon.

Talk to you all later.

Carla
Old 06-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #25  
Canadian, eh?

Hi all,

Carla - Good for you for recognizing the warnings signs and avoiding a binge! It sounds as though you've got it well analyzed and found the trigger. When I'm stressed I often find myself in front of the fridge or a cupboard looking for anything in general and nothing in particular! Hope you've made the most of the sunshine today.

Judy - OMG you sound busy! I didn't pick up any courses this semester; I'm sure I'd have been carted off to the psych unit if I did! As for a typical SB day: Breakfast: eggs and turkey bacon & a glass of V8; Snack: cucumber slices spread with light smoked salmon cream cheese. Lunch: chicken ceasar salad (sans croutons) & ff/sf jello for dessert (I use 1 cup skim milk when it's nearly cool; it makes a great pudding) Snack: ham and turkey rollups (rolled in a romaine leaf) with cilantro mayonnaise Dinner: baked salmon, sauteed zucchini & asparagus and for dessert about 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese w/ sweetener & vanilla extract. Basically the first two weeks are lean meats and cheeses, unsaturated oils, nuts and veggies. No starchy anything. After two weeks you start adding back whole grain bread or pasta and fruit. I really haven't had any cravings for anything. We're going to stay on phase 1 for 1 more week. Mike has lost almost 20 lbs already and my sneak peaks have me down about 7 so far! It is a lot of work, but we're eating very well. I don't think we've used any "convenience foods" since we started.

I did quite a bit of food prep for the coming week today, and spent a couple of hours working in the garden as well. This evening I'll be watching the rest of the final LOTR trilogy that I fell asleep watching last night!

Have a good day...

Karen

Last edited by Merrylegs; 06-13-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Closed Thread