Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #1  
Returning to SBD!

Default New to Weight Watchers

I need to lose about 10 pounds and had been doing South Beach Diet off and on over the last few years. The problem is, I am prone to kidney stones. A lot of the high amounts of protein and oxalates in all the veggies contribute to it. I am not cutting out these things but I need more of a balance.

I don't want to spend the money on joining online or going to meetings. I was hoping I could get all of the information I need right here!
lydiaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

I looooove Weight Watchers! I agree with not spending money on the program because it can get very expensive! When I first started Weight Watchers, i joined with a friend from work and signed up for one month. I went to the meetings and weigh-ins and i found it really beneficial at first but I realized that i could do it on my own with the inital sign up packet they give you (A-Z food list, points tracker etc...). I really just didn't have the time to go on a regular basis with my work and school schedule. I'd suggest signing up and paying week by week this way you can wiegh in, get all the info you need, sit in on a meeting or two, and assess if you should go it alone (at home) or continue paying and going to meetings. To each his own!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with vixxi, you should go to at least a few meetings so you can get the points tracker etc. Or maybe you have a friend who might have an extra one? It's easy to figure out how to do it once you have the tools. Without the tools it's kind of tricky to track points unless you have a tracker and until you get used to it and can "guesstimate" Although guesstimating can sometimes go spectacularly wrong, lol.
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #4  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I could not afford to go to the meeting but with a little research and a few ww cookbooks from 2nd hand stores, and the calculator/complete food companion I bought off ebay and food journal I fashioned after ww it is very easy.

Although I am sure I am not perfect at it but I am losing slowly, but then I don't always follow my points like I should so ..LOL
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

I agree with Nancy and did the ebay thing. It's cheaper than trying to get it from WW directly and it's always members selling it. Good luck!
hotcubanmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/197

Height: 5'9

Welcome to WW...good luck!! I chose to sign up for the online program...it's cheaper than meetings and I still feel accountable. Plus, I really like the tools online.
kiki100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I also do not pay for the meetings or online. The ebay idea is a good one. You can get everything off of there. I also have an iPhone and have apps that track my points for the day and week and also a calculator for the points and for activity. So far I've only spent $4 dollars on all of the app's total!
Some people need the accountability of the meetings. But, I don't think people should have to pay that much in order to lose weight, IMO!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/190/140

Height: 5'2

I joined WW with my fiance 2 weeks ago. We joined the Online group and I love it. I'm still trying to get him to log his food on his own, but he's finally seen a bit of a weight drop and is getting excited. WW really makes you think in a whole new mindset..... of points! I like the fact that you don't have to eat crazy prepackaged food (although I do love the Smartones for lunch) it really feels like a life change and not a diet.
sqeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/190/140

Height: 5'2

Oh, I had to make sure I updated my signature! Every .5 of a pound counts, especially when you are on a power struggle with the scale!
sqeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

I myself joined WW yesterday, I think I'll stick with the meetings just as motivation for now. So far so good. Can't wait to see if I dropped something.
Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 275/259/145

Height: 5'4

Hi, I'm a newbie. I also have just joined WW, I go on Thursday night. I joined and did the prepay for 10 weeks and then thought I would try it on my own. I just found this site today and really love all the support that I am reading.

Here's to a good week.
mussit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/155

I did WW at work as well. Now I'm doing it on my own, just don't have the funds for it now.
I'm sure it's possible to get everything on-line, but for me, I don't think I could do it without those initial meetings. I learned sooo much.
But If I can help you in anyway, (questions about alloted points and such) I'd be glad to.
beachluvr79 is offline   Reply With Quote