WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 02:21 PM   #1  
si, si signora

Default when 2+2=4 and when not

I am always and constantly perplexed with the quirks in this program.

I can eat two WW2 pt bars (nutritional bars) for four points and consume 300 calories

or I can eat one 4 point nutz over chocolate luna bar for 180 calories
and eat the same or more fat as in the two 2 pt bars.

But, I guess its perhaps more satisfying to have two snacks instead of one.

Does anyone else ever run into this problem or understand this logic?

lala
Old 03-14-2002, 04:51 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

You didn't mention the fiber content of the foods you discussed. That's probably where the difference comes in.

But--sometimes the points don't work out the same when you eat two servings or a half serving when you calculate by nutrition info rather than multiplying or dividing the points.

What I mean is, take the calories of both bars together. Do the same with the fat and fiber. Then use those numbers to calculate those points. It might be more than 4 points for two, especially if you're capping the fiber at 4. I don't have any here so I'm not sure what the exact count of the information is. What happens is the fractions of points get counted in and so the point count for 2 may be 5 instead of 4. Half servings are the same way. A half serving of something that was originally 5 points may end up as either 2 or 3, depending on the numbers.

I don't know if this is confusing or helpful because it's so hard to explain (even for a writer) math stuff in a forum post.

However, it's not that crucial. What's important is that however you choose to calculate those things, you stay consistent. Then you can easily make adjustments as you need to in order to keep losing or maintain your weight.

Good luck!

Lin
Old 03-14-2002, 07:06 PM   #3  
si, si signora

Hi Lin,
Thanks for you very intelligent reply.

I understand the fiber aspect, but this is the direct comparison of the bars from ni- good thing I haven't recycled my office paper in a while.

ww just 2 pts choco mint nutritional bar:

cals: 150
cals from fat: 30 3.5 g
fiber: 5 g
2 pts even with 4g cap when counted separately and if say, you ate two at a time: 6 pts (count em baby)

luna bar- nutz over choc

cals: 180
cals from fat: 40 4.5g
fiber: 2 g

4 pts and two a time: 7 pts, so its a better food bargain say you are really hungry

It just doesn't seem fair does it? The WW just 2pts bar must be pretty close to 3 pts if you use a very precise ww pts calculator and count fractions of points.

Just sometimes vexed and perplexed .

lala
Old 03-15-2002, 09:13 AM   #4  

That is the nature of the program. Get a Luna bar with only 170 calories (e.g. sesame raisin) and magically, it is only THREE points. A difference of 10 calories, and you save a point, which you could later use for eating, say, a half-cup of fat free refried beans (at 100 cal, 6 g fiber, they work out to 1 point).

The point system can break down when you are savvy enough to scout out every last thing that falls "right on the line" but not savvy enough to realize that the only one you are cheating is yourself. Gee, how do you suppose I figured that out? Once I knew the mathematical formula, I could easily work out in my head things like, "O.K., 3/4 cup of Kashi is one point---but so is a FULL cup." "At 20 cal and 1 g fat per tablespoon, I can have THREE TABLESPOONS of this coffee creamer for a point." Note that a single tablespoon would also have been a point. Since I never UNDER-COUNTED anything (like falling for that 1/4 cup of eggbeaters = 1 point so 1 cup must be 4, when it is actually 120 cal, 0 fat, 0 fiber, or 2 points), ultimately I was abusing the flexibility of the program, which counts on you to eat 25 calorie item and count it as a point for every time you eat a 150 calorie item and count it as two points.

Now I keep an eye on those things. The second fat-free tortilla costs me two points, not one. The second cup of coffee bumps me up to 3 points for the creamer. It is true, you can do a lot to kid yourself within the points system. I think they are hoping we are all intelligent life forms who can understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch, unless it is a non-starchy vegetable.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:30 PM   #5  
si, si signora

bumby,

I wished I liked sesame raisin . Maybe I'll give them a second try.

lala
Old 03-15-2002, 05:19 PM   #6  

No, it's a good thing you don't like them. The program counts on your having a 4 point (180 cal) Luna bar some days and other days having 300 calories of (say) Just 2 Points bars for the same 4 points on other days, to balance things out. You COULD squeeze every last calorie into every point (and believe me, I had a million tricks--like breaking off a CORNER of something that was just over the line and tossing it!), but I don't recommend it.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:49 AM   #7  

I'm with Bumby on this. I used to get myself "into trouble" squeezing out all the points "bargains". How I usually handle this now is to count half points. I count those Luna's as 3 1/2 points and the "2 point bars" as 2 1/2.

I often break a Luna in half for a post-workout snack. In that case, I count the first half (usually the larger piece) as 2 points and count the 2nd half as 1 1/2.

As long as you are consistent, the leaders in my area don't have any problems with us counting 1/2 points.

Jane, lifetimer at goal since 1996
Closed Thread