Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 12:00 AM   #16  

Ok guys...here goes. I am a lapsed Lifer (twice), most recently after moving from huge health oriented city(LA) to a small mexcian food dominated on here in Texas. I finally made the move to get back on program...unfortunately I have to do it "alone" as my finances do not allow me to return to the meetings. Has anyone here had problems with negative friends or family, that although you knbow they don't mean to, they tend to sabatoge your efforts? nI have a brother who is close to the 300# mark, who we all worry about..but as I know I can't help lose it for him..I know I can lose myself. However...his comments and actions tend to drag me down into the pit of chocolate/pizza/Ben & Jerry's etc.. I made the move to start today..and I guess it went Ok..yougher than I remember, but I know I can do it. Just needed to vent..and hopefully make a few friends here that can help me along the way.

-Nate

Name: Nathan - the lone guy in here

Program: WW points

current (starting): 256.5 (OMG.....worse than I thought)
Goal: 175
Old 08-04-2001, 09:31 AM   #17  
Failure is NOT an Option!

Default Hey, Everyone!

Geeeeeeez! Look at everyone who has joined us! This is GREAT!

Jill, I know what you mean. I have been gone a while and came back to find a whole new slew of friends! I also recently went on vacation and ate whatever I wanted. I gained 2 pounds which bummed me out completely, but like your leader said, it did come right back off the next week.

Nate, nice to finally have a male perspective. Hope all of us crazy women don't drive you away!

I seem to be at quite the standstill lately. Other than the 2 pound gain and then loss, I have maintained for the last month. Let me just tell you the reason why: I have not journaled for almost a month now, and I have picked up the nasty little habit of BLTs again. No, not the bacon, lettuce and tomato thing, but even worse! BITES, LICKS AND TASTES! I am going back to the strictest routine possible on Monday morning. (My brother-in-law gets married today, so I will be partying tonight! )

I have to say, though, that for not journaling I have been able to maintain quite easily which makes me pretty happy. Now the possibility of maintaining long term really seems like a possibility!

Well, I better go. Time to get the hair done for the big WEDDING tonight! I have to say, my dress is really cute! And a size 8! Haven't been there in about 10 years! WOO HOO!

Have a great weekend and good luck to all staying OP!
Old 08-04-2001, 10:21 AM   #18  

Toad4Mimi---naw, u guys aren't crazy, whenever I actually do have the money to go to meeting, I am usually the sole male in a very female enviorment. On that note, it does seem that the WW program seems to really market to women and for some reason they seem to kind of think of us guys as an afterthought...WHAT GIVES?!?!?

Anyway, happy losing everyone!!!!!!

-Nate
Old 08-04-2001, 04:29 PM   #19  

I have not visited this site for a few days because it looked like no one was writing but i am back and glad to see the replies. no i havent got the answer to the popcorn question. It is my pleasure emailing those who want to be buddies only the ones that do this program know how we struggle.

I reached the 43.6 weight lose mark this week. I have 18 pounds to go. These next two weeks will be ****. I am going to a concert every day for 2 weeks. Tonight I am working alone until 7 am so bringing limited food so i wont eat. The downfall is i have to drink plenty of coffee to stay awake.

I have been going to the weightwatcher.com live chat it is pretty interesting if anyone wants to check it out. My name is Tracey and than I put the amount of weight i lost so if u see me make sure u say hello.

Well going to get ready for work gl all

Tami - I love the new positive attitude keep it up girl proud of u
Old 08-05-2001, 02:17 AM   #20  

Tracy- what kind of concerts are u attending? I too know the pitfalls of late night work sessions...many nites at IHOP in my time :-).

have to say guys, it is gr8 to be back on the wagon again, I actually feel more in control, than I have been in a long time...and heck, its only been 3 days (3 days of working in a rest. for 10 hours a day).

-Nate
Old 08-05-2001, 01:05 PM   #21  
Failure is NOT an Option!

Default Day After Wedding . . .

Well, got the brother-in-law all married off. A great time was had by all. 400+ at the reception, so there were a lot of old friends and family whom I haven't seen in a long time. It was nice.

The best part was everyone telling me how great I looked! One of my husband's uncles said, "I had no idea you were such a Knock Out!" Wow, now that really does something for a persons self-esteem! (Thanks for letting me boast a bit, everyone )

I also find that today I feel incredibly re-charged in the WW department. Now I really want to fight to get to my ultimate goal. I have about 15 +/- pounds to go and I know that I can do it!

Nate: I think the reason that WW caters to women more than men is that women tend to have a lower body image perception than the "typical" male. I think that women tend to be much harder on themselves where weight is concerned than men do (in general). Also, women seem to be much more willing to spend their money on weight loss programs/pills/diets/etc. than men are. Just my overall life observation in this category!

Thanks, again, for letting me gloat a little bit about last night! Hope everyone has a great OP week. Stay focused and in control. We can all do this!
Old 08-06-2001, 09:31 AM   #22  

Nate- I do all kinds of concerts. I work part time concert security in the New England area. We work from Maine to RI. I have done concerts ranging from Savalation Army to Limp Bizkit.

I have not been able to work out much due to the concerts but I try to at least get my ab workout out in and I am continously walking and lifting while I work so I concider that my work out. I have not been eating terrible trying to make good choices but when u work 20 hrs a day it throws off your eating schedule. I have noticed a slight gain. I don't know but it could be muscle. I am going to try to get it back off before my wednesday weigh in. I have to weigh in early in the am instead of 4:00 so I hope that might help. No water retention.

Nate I wish there was more men in WW. I think u are right they are focusing more on woman but I beleive a man can succeed at it to. Come in here more we would love to have u.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:54 PM   #23  

Default Checking in

Hello, all!

I weighed in at 166.2 Saturday. I'm feeling much better. Thank you for the encouragement. I love this thread.

I have my "Winning Outcome" written down and I've decided to white out the # of pounds to lose and adjusting it every week. That poor little post it note is going to get heavy!

Welcome Nate! It's nice to have you here. We have a few men in our meeting. You are a fantastic example to men everywhere!!!

Here is my info on popcorn:

buttered, popped, 3 cups w/2 tbsp. butter=7 points
butter-flavored, popped, 3 cups=4 points
light, butter-flavored, popped, 3 cups=2 points
reduced fat (94% fat free) micro-popped, 5 cups=1 point

I love you guys!
Old 08-06-2001, 01:33 PM   #24  
CBC

S/C/G: 211/211/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Men in WW

Na-tron - Check out the Success Stories on the Weight Watcher website, there are some men's stories that may inspire you.

CBC
Old 08-06-2001, 02:32 PM   #25  

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the encouragement, Pam. I'm so glad you were able to go to the wedding feeling so wonderfully good about yourself! Sounds like you had a great time.

Not journalling was part of my downfall last week, too. I'm back on track, though. O.P. for the past couple of days. The heat's helping, too--who wants to eat in this humidity?

Welcome, Nate. Great to have a guy in our group. It helps to get a different perspective. I have a few male friends who are seriously overweight, and from talking to them I get the impression that it's harder for them to get the support that they need from their friends while losing weight. For that reason alone I think that W.W. should really make more of an effort to target men. We have a lot of men at my meeting, but I get the impression that many of them have been dragged there by their wives. There are a few younger guys who've done really well (40+ pounds gone), and a couple more who I don't think will last because they're too impatient for instant results. That, of course, is a problem those of us with a significant amount to lose have to GET OVER QUICKLY!

Does your brother show any inclination or desire to lose weight? Are his attempts to sabotage you unwitting or intentional? It's tough when you're trying to make such serious and important changes in your life and someone you're close to and care about is unwilling or unable to support you in the manner you need him to. Especially if you're preoccupied with worrying about his health. Sigh . . . I'm just talking out the side of my mouth, though, since I don't really know anything about your situation. So, I'll shut up and ask about you. Actor? Singer? Writer? Musician? What's up?

Tami--Great Job! Glad to hear you're feeling better. 27 pounds is great! Keep up the fantastic work.

Gotta go try to exercise. Fun.

Good Luck this week, everyone!

Jill
Old 08-06-2001, 05:23 PM   #26  

Thalia- In answer to your questions, I know he doesn't mean to sabatoge me sometimes, but I think it just comes from his own lack of self-esteem...we are talking none here. I have done this b4 (lost 70), but returning to texas has made things more difficult. I think I got off on a good foot now, and it seem s to be going a lot easier this time around.

And as far what I do : lighting designer/master electrican...returning to school in 3 weeks for Audio Engineering (music business).

anyway...see you guys around..it is great to have support here, since I can't do the meeting thing.

happy losing and naimiste

-Nate
Old 08-07-2001, 08:19 AM   #27  

I did it. My friend and I went to our first meeting last night. I'm scraping on money from now until pay day on Friday. So I didn't go to the grocery store. I'm not sure about breakfast in the future, but today I'll have 1/2 of what I have been having. I figured out that my bagel and low fat cream cheese was 7 points! So, 1/2 a bagel with the cream cheese will do for today. It'll probably fill me up fine... all those wasted points before! Yikes!

Hope everyone is having a good week so far!
Old 08-08-2001, 01:51 AM   #28  

Default Hello everyone!!

Just joined the forum. Anyone out there from Edmonton, Canada? I am thinking of rejoining WW starting next Wednesday. There is a meeting near me first thing wednesday morning. Just wanted to know if anyone out there was from my area
Old 08-10-2001, 09:54 AM   #29  

Hi all I had was a little disappointed this week in weigh in. I stayed the same weight. It is the first week in 20 weeks I havent lost. The good side is I didnt gain. I know where the problem is but there isnt anything I can do about it. I have been working really hectic hours with very little sleep so I have had to drink more coffee. Unfortunately these hours will continue for another 2 weeks. I guess I will also have to drink more water to get rid of the coffee. I am pretty proud of myself this week. I just got off a job that last 41 straight hours. I planned well and believe this week I should see a loss.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:39 PM   #30  

Hi Everybody,

I've been reading this thread for inspiration for a while and I love the way you all support each other and would love to join in. It's great to have a thread just for the 30-somethings! I gradually gained weight over the years with no serious attempt to lose until now. When I reached size 16, I got disgusted and realized I needed help. I've lost 19 pounds since joining weight watchers at the end of May.

Interesting question about popcorn; it does seem like it should count as a veggie since it has fiber. I was wondering if veggie burgers/soy hotdogs, etc. count as a veggie? Soybeans are veggies, aren't they?

Anyway, we're going on our first real family vacation with the kids in two weeks to Florida; half of the time with my in-laws and half at Disney, and I'm really worrying about doing myself in. Any ideas?
Closed Thread