Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #16  

On the 4 January Dr. Phil show, a member of my Thursday 0700 meeting will be one of some success stories. I 'think' the theme of the show is New Year's Resolutions.
"James" has lost 240 lbs as of this morning, with quite a bit to go, but is a charming young man who will make it. Said he was not permitted to mention WW's, but that it was a very good interview. If you think of it, make a note on your calendar and watch him.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #17  

G'day all,

Well my dd and her husband arrived late last night. Sydney airport was hit with an electrical storm and was closed for some time delaying all flights.
But they are here safe and sound and I am very happy

Eileen thank you for telling us about your friend, what an effort! I doubt if we will get this particular episode on January 4 but I love Dr. Phil and I do watch it, so no doubt in time to come I will see the story of 'James'.

Busy day, so everyone have a fantastic Christmas, I will be thinking of all of you at this time especially those of us who have had some setbacks this year.
2005 WILL be great!

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #18  

Eileen I will try to remember. Got to remind me the day before. I am anxious to see him. I admire anyone who can lose that much weight.

It snowed and snowed and snowed. Then on top of the 12 or so inches there was sleet all night long. It just kept hitting the windows. I didn't think it would ever stop. We never get this much snow and it paralyzed the whole city. Only emergency vehicles were allowed on the roads. I guess the stores had to take a major hit being closed most of the day this close to Christmas. It took us forever to clear the driveway. It drifted over 18" in spots. Then the snowplows race up and down and block them again. We live on a corner so we get it both ways. Karen I am sure miss all this now that you are down in sunny Fla. LOL I will send you some if you want.

The trouble with being in is it makes you want to eat and not good things but cookies and such. I was trying to start counting my points today but I know I went over. The cookies a neighbor gave us for helping clear their driveway.

I think I need to go ride my exercise bike.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:09 PM   #19  
Super Surfer

Default Merry Christmas everyone

Hi everyone.. :merry: to all of you. I hope you all have a great time with family and friends. Enjoy!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:10 PM   #20  
Ash

Default From Down Under

I won't be around for the few days between Christmas and New Year so I wish you all a safe, healthy and joyful New Year. Stay safe my friends if you are on the road and I will see all of you in 2005.

Jenye.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #21  
Life Time 2001

Default Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds good I will tape it Eileen for sure!

Just came in to say to all:
:merry:

And
Old 12-23-2004, 11:13 PM   #22  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

DH got the flu and was very sick with it and dehydrated and we received a call that he was to go for that Mugga Scan on Tuesday morning prior to his appt with his oncologist. He was so weak that I asked my brother to come and help me take him to the hospital for the scan. When the test was over he brought us back home and DH managed to have about a 1/2 cup soup and laid down for about 1/2 hour and then our son came and took us to the other hospital to keep the appt with the oncologist. She noticed right away how weak he was and that he was dehydrated. She got him on the scale and he had lost 10# from the previous Tuesday. In August he weighed 191 and on Tuesday he was 167#....not good. She did not receive the results on the bone marrow biopsy from the lab yet and the clinic was going to be closed from the 23rd to the 27th so she made an appt for him to come in again next Thursday. While we were there she started a I.V. with saline solution and steroids for DH and said he would feel much better after the treatment. It took about 3 hours, and I have to say it really helped him a lot. My brother came over to visit for a short while yesterday and could not believe the difference in DH in that short period of time. Today was a good day for him too. YIPPEE I had a very early morning hair cut appt. 9:00 and then some grocery shopping to do. I left the house around 8:45 and got home around noon and I never once shut my car off. The wind chill temperature here was -48 C. It was just bitterly cold today and I think the same for Christmas Eve tomorrow.
My little granddaughter (9 yrs old) wanted to come over today to help me set the table for tomorrow's dinner and she really was a great help and did a beautiful job. I was so proud of her and she was pleased that she was able to do it. When son and DIL came to get her she immediately showed them what she had done, and was just glowing.
She was so happy that her Papa was walking around and not in bed, and very excited about tomorrow night. It was a good day for me too.
Eileen I will make a note to watch the show on January 4th or tape it if I am not at home. It's nice "seeing" you on this board. I love dogs too, but we don't have one anymore. Our last doggie was a wonderful little Bichon that we miss very much. Now I feed all the birds that stay with us in the winter and the poor little rabbits who come out of hiding and eat the seeds the birds throw out of the feeder. If I spot the bunny out there I run out and put some of those little carrots out for her/him (not sure what that little critter is). She doesn't even run away now, just waits until I go back into the house and starts to eat. I hope you have a Merry Christmas!
Peggy I don't know what is going on with the weather anymore. I saw on the news that you guys were getting your fair share of snow too. Merry Christmas Peggy.
Ann Congrats.....on being discharged by your doctor and for being able to drive once again. Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy yourself now that you are feeling better. I hope soon your DH is feeling 100% again too.
Lily I don't think I mentioned it but my DH had shingles too, sort of at his waist and around a little to his back. The oncologist gave him a prescription for it and it is cleared up now. The prescription was called Apo-Acyclovir. This drug also causes flu like symptoms so I think my poor DH had a double whammy with the meds and getting the flu. Lily I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.
Maria I think by now it must be Christmas Day for you. Have a wonderful time with your daughter and sil. Merry Christmas.
Karen lots of changes for you this Christmas. I'm sure you don't miss the cold and snow in the least little bit. hee hee, I wouldn't either.
Have a wonderful first Christmas in your home in Florida.
Glenda at least here on our board we can still wish each other a Merry Christmas.....so my friend, Merry Christmas.
Jenye I hope your deck is completed and that you are getting chance to enjoy it. Merry Christmas to you and enjoy that weather you are getting because we are freezing out here.
Trudy I am lucky to have you as a friend. It's wonderful to have a friend that you can laugh and cry with in the same one telephone conversation. No matter how sad I might be sometimes, you always make me feel better......so, Merry Christmas to you and your DH, your lovely daughter, sil, and your sweet little angel......oh mustn't forget DOG....
:merry:

Last edited by slavika; 12-23-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:36 PM   #23  

Merry Christmas all of you my friends. Been trying to post for days now but too much going on. Just wanted to sneek in here to let you know We are still alive here in Rainy Florida. But having fun with my kids. And those three little Grandds are busy. We are pooped out every night. my military son and his wife go back tomorrow. Been great to hav4e them. The other son and family will be leaving later this week by Friday i thinnk they aren't really sure. I'll be back to talk then. Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend.
Karen
Old 12-25-2004, 05:53 PM   #24  
Member Florida Chick

:merry: Hope you are all having a lovely day. We too are having rain, rain and more rain. But we have needed it too. We had breakfast at our clubhouse, and then dinner at around 3:00p.m. once again at the clubhouse. It is a nice tradition for all of us who don't have family with us.

Karen: how nice for you to have your sons and families. Hope they have some good weather so they can do some of the touristy stuff.

Slavika: So sorry that your DH had the flu, but happy that your Dr. caught the fact that he was dehydrated. Dehydration can cause all sort of problems of its own. I expect you had a happy Christmas with your family. How nice that your GD was such a loving helper for you. You have a great supportive family, and believe me, I know just how important that is.

Hi to you all. Hope your day has been special. Ann
Old 12-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #25  

Just want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas. Hope you all have had a wonderful day.

Slavika thanks for giving us the update on your dh. I am glad that they gave him something to make him feel better. He surely has had more than his share. How cute of your grandaughter to help out. I am sure she must feel very proud. She is lucky to have your for grandma cause you enjoy doing all that with her. Someday she will be passing down those traditions to her grandkids.

The roads here are still a mess. On the highway the lanes just end in a snowmess. You never know if you are in the right lane or not. It is causing more havoc than usual when it snows. People here just can't deal with it. Sort of funny.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:34 PM   #26  
Member Florida Chick

Cool Cold

, good health, and happiness and special blessings for the New year.

Today after church we took our former neighbor out for Christmas lunch. It is a sad situation. Her DH is in a nursing home, and in what appears to be a terminal situation. He is 86. After lunch we took her to see him, and it is very difficult. He didn't want her to leave, and of course she had to, as she has no other form of transportation. We would have waited as long as she wanted, but of course she felt she couldn't stay that long. They have called the children down from the north 2 times as they thought it was the end, but then he rallied again. I just pray for her sake and for his, that this won't go on long. He has no quality of life.

We are having really chilly weather. A strong wind, and quite cool for us. I suspect I will have to cover my plants tonight.

We had a very interesting message this a.m. about the importance of our words and how they can impact people, and ourselves. I always remember being told as a kid 'sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me'. What a falsehood that statement is. People need words of encouragement so much- especially for us in our weight loss journey. I think that is why we have such a good support group. Er do encourage one another.

This is another stronger day, and a day of rest. I am reading a good book, and expect to finish it this p.m.

One again, Happy New Year everyone. Ann
Old 12-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #27  

>>I always remember being told as a kid 'sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me'. What a falsehood that statement is. <<

Oh mercy me, to this very day I can recall some of those 'harmless' words from my childhood. My maiden name started with the letter "T", so my initials were E.A.T. That was about the mildest of teasing to a tall, chubby, girl with thick glasses. In looking at old pics, I was merely chubby, but was by age 12 already 5'7". Far taller than most at that age, so I stood out. I always looked for the meaning behind what was actually said, as even at that age children know and use sarcasm. To be truthful, thanks heavens they had not named me 'Fanny or Faith'.
I know childhood teasing, and the power of words, affected me deeply. I, myself, probably in self defense, developed quite a sharp tongue and went into public speaking for my livelihood. I learned to talk people into almost anything that was legal. Words are potent weapons if used correctly.
The weather in E. WA is chilly and dry. We usually have a lot of snow by now. Very, very unusual. In N. Idaho they are having unusual numbers of migrating bald eagles stopping by for a fishing expedition prior to going north.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:47 AM   #28  
Life Time 2001

Ann: Wow that brought back Memories "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me". Many Many years ago when I was at home. I came up stairs, After sleeping, and my Mom told me, "My God you look awful with out Makeup". To this day I wont even pick up the paper without my Makeup on. No Makeup Front door never opens Sad but true.

Slavika: Sorry to hear about the Meds and it causing more Problems for your DH. I know my Hubby is miserable. So I can image what your Hubby is going through. Hang in there. I know its all gonna work out for him. I do hope they get results soon and find out the course of treatment for him.

Eileen: Your Experience sounds awful. You are so right Words are powerful. Its so sad when people do this.

Was a great Christmas. Very relaxing. I didnt cook alot. There really wasnt time as we were going to leave. But it turned out great. My Crab Legs were so yummmmmmmmmmm. New tradition here! Found out that Scissors work the best. Forget the Nutcracker

Hi to everyone else!

Last edited by LilyG; 12-27-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #29  
Net browser

Hi Everybody :snf:

Although Christmas Eve dinner was a lot of work I love doing it and having all the family together. It was a wonderful evening. My DH ate a big plate full of food, and then sat in the rocker chair until we had opened about 1/2 the presents (the grandkids had all their's opened) and then he was really exhausted and had to go to bed. He didn't really get much sleep because someone was always checking on him, but he said that was alright, as long as he was lying down, he was doing ok. I didn't open my gifts from him until Christmas morning, because he had already gone to bed and of course I wanted him to see me open them. There's a jewellers not to far from our place and DH got me a lovely silver bangle bracelet with tiny little diamonds in it (you don't have to be all dressed up to wear it......jeans or cords would be just fine). The jewellers had gift wrapped it for him and had enclosed a little card showing that there was a a little ring that matched that bracelet. Today I was going over to that Mall as DH wanted me to pick up a Golf magazine for him and some 7 UP and he told me to stop at that jewellers and pick up that little ring for myself if I liked it....... well of course I liked it, so I now have a nice little ring too. The other gift I received from him was a great piece of carry-on luggage with wheels that roll easily, which I am hopeful I will use next winter when we go to Maui with our family.
I got him a hooded Niki fleece jacket and fleece pants so that he would be warm and cozy when I take him for treatment as it is so cold out, and a couple of sets of new p. j's (not very exciting stuff). I really wanted us to shop for a nice leather coat for him, but until his weight settles he says it's not a good idea. I guess he is right. On Christmas Day he rested for most of it, and then at 4:30 we went to son/dil for Christmas dinner (our son picked us up so that the car would be nice and warm for DH) and our dil parents were also there. Her Christmas table looked just fantastic. She always comes up with these lovely ideas for place cards. This year she bought cute little chairs that were decorated with pine and red holly berries and made up little cards with each of our names written on them, and she decorated her big light fixture over the table with the pine and holly berries too. I have a dil that is not only beautiful and sweet but very talented in lots of areas. We are so lucky to have her in our family. The meal was great, and DH really ate a lot, and we were all happy to see that. It was a nice evening and our son brought us home around 8:00. Unfortunately I also ate way too MUCH....and will have to start right back on the WW program. I saw on the news today, that with all the different diets that are out there that WW is the only one with documented proof that people can lose weight and keep the weight off.
Today was a lazy day for us, and DH felt really good, so I am happy. Talk to you all soon.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #30  

G'day all,

We also had a great Christmas, it was a fairly cool Christmas, though still warm enough for our dd and her dh to have a swim and a spa in the huge pool that is here. They were thrilled with their presents. DS rang at 8.30 Christmas morning to thank us for their presents and wish us a merry christmas.
Yesterday dd insisted we go to the sales in the city and that we did! She loved it and got a gorgeous little black dress and some other bits and pieces. The crowds and queues to pay for items bought was all too much for me and I won't be doing that again. it is crazy!
DD is going back home to Melbourne again tomorrow

Thanks to everyone for their christmas wishes and good to read you all had a good Christmas.

It is a very sad state of affairs on this side of the world with the devastating tsunami wave disaster in parts of South East Asia. Many Australians go there for holidays , it is not that far from Australia. It is very difficult to comprehend how these things happen.

Hope you all are continuing to enjoy this time of the year.

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread